You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

Just A Thought On BB/CV

7 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles

This is pretty much a gameplay suggestion but I doubt it would ever be considered so I just wanted to hear what people think on this.

Preface: Please read all the way through if you want to comment. This is not meant to upset anyone even though I am sure it will. This will most likely never happen. It is just something I though of after seeing the Asashio and seeing the CC map in Jingles' video. 

This Issue:

Spoiler

Short and to the point. Everyone knows the issue with CV's and the rework that is coming one day... Another issue that I see is the super passive BB play which I assume will get even worse but that is a whole other issue. Not all BB's play in the back of the map. I am not accusing you, in fact I would be willing to bet that most BB players on the forum push and tank for their team so please hear me out.

The Main Part:

Spoiler

Inspiration: The CC map design placed the caps so that they covered the map forcing BB's to be involved in closer quarters than most in random battles currently are. This map seemed to be an intuitive design to solve a current issue but left one question... where do CV's go? This map would require CV's to actively move and we all know that most random CV's have a hard enough time multitasking as is. 

Goals: To encourage BB's to participate more actively in battle and to encourage CV's to spot while somewhat decreasing personal skill level effect on outcome.

Summary: So here goes the big part. The part that most people will get emotional over... Why don't we give CV's BB/CV deep water torps. Like the Asashio except tuned for aircraft (less range, damage, flood chance, and speed). Well now you're probably thinking that makes them so OP or so weak. I will explain a little then list the pros and cons. 

When is the last time you have seen a match go any extended time without BB's? I cannot really think of many but I am sure there is a case that is why I said HE vs AP bombs would still be the same. The biggest issue I have in games is that BB's like to sit in the back and fire from a distance or exclude themselves in battle for extended times by sailing around islands on the outer edge. I doubt many forum users do this, but we are only a small percent of the player population. I do not play CV's much so I cannot talk from their perspective but I play all other types. The biggest issue with CV's is the skill gap between them in a match can determine the outcome of the battle unless one team just fails (which isn't rare). 

What happens to BB's? Well nothing really happens to most forum users because they do not sit in the back. In fact nothing really changes much except for BB's that sit on the outskirts of the map or sail off on your own. These CV's will only have torps that can hit BB's so they will hunt for the least defended. BB's are now almost forced to push up with CA/CL's. The brawling BB's with poor AA are forced to actually brawl whereas the BB's with good AA still have some freedom to stay farther away from AA support but still can be punished for sailing alone. 

What happens to CV's? I guess this is the one that gets the short end of the stick in some ways. I think something would have to be done in order to compensate for losing torps on other targets such as a bigger incentive for spotting or maybe changing up bomb RNG or mechanics? I am still trying to think of ideas for this. The big thing is no longer will a CV be able to cross drop DD's or seek out the CA/CL with weak AA. This overall means the skill gap between to CV players will have less impact on the overall outcome of the game. The good thing out of this is the damage. If you are a CV you will be looking for solo BB's to punish them. Maybe a slightly higher damage or smaller spread on the torps? CV players feel free to jump in and give suggestions if you actually think something like this could be viable. Keep in mind I am not saying take away your entire gameplay just make it more focused on taking out BB's that do not go in with the team first. 

Pros: I guess there are a few. Less BB's would camp, CV's do need a rework, skill gap in CV's has less noticeable effect on result, CV's would be more inclined to spot, DD,CA/CL's have more support and possibly more spotting. I think there are more but I will leave it at this. Obviously DD's and CA/CL's couldn't be torped but hopefully this would be somewhat countered by BB's being closer to punish any ship that overextends. 

Cons: Some BB players will be upset because CV's can only target them (this is probably not much different than it is now), CV players will be upset because they cannot torp DD's or CA/CL's (They will have to be compensated for this)

Conclusion: Hopefully this will help achieve the goals I posted at the start. I really do not see any major issues but I do know some smaller ones will be present and would have to be worked out (such as compensation for losing 2/4 of torp targets). If you stuck around this far, thank you for taking the time to read all of this. After all, it is just an idea. 

Remember this is just an idea and should be taken as such. 

Thank you for reading and feel free to comment your outrage, suggestions, or anything else you wish to say.

• Bad 3

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles

I know you said this would be only a idea, but its a very stupid idea.

Because this would make CVs so much more useless, only being able to deal with one ship type. This means in situations where that CV gets spotted and has a DD or Cruiser gunning for it, it'll be unable to defend itself at all. Battleship players would be very upset because they'd be the only ones who would be targeted by the CVs and every plane they see, they know its coming for them or another BB, and what happens when the only ships left alive are Cruisers and Destroyers? What is the CV to do then?

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles
6 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

Because this would make CVs so much more useless, only being able to deal with one ship type. This means in situations where that CV gets spotted and has a DD or Cruiser gunning for it, it'll be unable to defend itself at all. Battleship players would be very upset because they'd be the only ones who would be targeted by the CVs and every plane they see, they know its coming for them or another BB, and what happens when the only ships left alive are Cruisers and Destroyers? What is the CV to do then?

CV’s still have bombers. As I said something wouldhave to change to compensate. It would mean the CV only has torps for BB’s but Bombs work on all. As it stands this wouldn’t work but if spotting was made viable for CV’s I feel it would work. 

That being said thank you for a thoughtful reply. Pretty much just trying to think outside the box.

[LUCK]
Members
1,274 posts
18,941 battles

Outside the box is good but the box is a also a useful bounded condition. Too far outside the box, and the box becomes meaningless.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,769 battles
1 hour ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

I don't know that the idea is stupid at all, though your off-the-wall, straight in from left field comment certainly fits into that category. Thanks for being totally and completely unhelpful.

I think the idea has significant merit, albeit I would change one thing. @Belyy_Klyk, rather that use Asashio torps, I would recommend using regular Pan-Asian torps. That way you could still be effective against CLs and CAs, while reserving your dive bombers for those pesky DDs, which is what most CV players use on DDs anyways. And congrats on thinking outside of the box; please don't let nay-sayers woof you out of your right to a unique opinion.

• Cool 2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,307 posts
9,376 battles

CV spotting is a function of CV player quality. A good CV player will spot because they want to win, and will do so when it will help the team do that.  Bad CV players will be selfish, and you aren't going to beat that one out of them.

CV's already hunt lone wolves, that's the number one target. Why should cruisers and DD's that are exhibiting the same behavior be exempt?

Achieving destroyer superiority is one of the most important things in the game that will get battleships to move up. Making it so that a CV contributes less is counter productive.

Seems to me it would only make things worse.