Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

How do I make sure I can get five stars in the updated Ultimate Frontier?

17 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
4,636 posts
2,400 battles

Ever since they updated Ultimate Frontier to make it harder, getting five stars has become nearly impossible for me. My teammates and myself are simply unable to kill everything and complete all the objectives, specifically killing the CV, keeping 3 forts alive, and killing the marked ships within the allotted time. By the time the Whiskey DDs and the main attacks commence, my team is all hiding in the repair base like cowards and they get overwhelmed and slaughtered for it. I would just do it myself, but ever since I sold my Gneisenau to buy the Bismarck (and I don't have the money to buy it back), I'm stuck with the Mahan, the Blyska, and the ARP cruisers, none of which can take on the entire enemy fleet on their own. I do all I can; I shoot up every target I can, I mark priority enemies for death, and I let off torps, but none of it ends up working. In summary, how do I make my teammates PTFO and help me so we can get five stars?

[WPP]
Members
451 posts
5,072 battles

Luck?  The only times I’ve got 4 stars was from a great team who watched objectives with a couple of BBs that held back to guard the opening of the bay.  It felt like we absolutely nailed it, but we lost 2 forts.

[HINON]
Members
8,799 posts

You need a good division. Also you probably need more optimal ships as those are not ideal. (Not impossible to use but harder)

[INTEL]
Members
8,409 posts
25,237 battles

Bring high dpm cruiser -- atlanta, belfast, or fiji. 

Bring fast bb

Pray no one brings mahan or akat

Members
503 posts
3,459 battles

Currently, getting five stars is truly a team effort.  There are a few recent threads where strats and ships are discussed.  But, the best way to guarantee it?  Run a Belfast and have two Atlanta Div mates.  Smoke them frequently.  And, have a fast BB who can easily handle the Atlanta.  Also, if you have a DD in your group, pray that they know what they are doing.  Finally, save the Ranger for last.

Edited by Uber_Ghost

[WORX]
Members
1,632 posts
12,662 battles
  1. 38 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:
    1. my team is all hiding in the repair base like cowards and they get overwhelmed and slaughtered for it.
  • Cruisers dont have much option as before, because of the now *BUFFED* Ultimate Frontier, its up to the BBs to tank close to a suicide mission to the left side of the map to sink the red CV. Cruisers, especially light British, light AMerican ones. Dont have the HP pool nor the armor to go far to get the CV, so the only option is defend the repair. and even that is no guarantee he is going to survive.

To get 5 stars now, in that operation, is close to impossible but its possible with the right line up from the start, 3 BBs is a must and 4 cruisers is essential.  A Competent CV player is a MUST, the overall goal is keep the cruisers alive as long as possible and not going past the repair line if your in a light cruiser.

In a 3 BB role set.

• one BB heads north and sinks the omaha and the ATL
  • The other 2 provide cover fire down rage on the cruisers spawning from the left and right.
  • After the 4 red DDs rush the repair (if there is no CV in our fleet),  that is the cue to go and sink the red CV quickly and return back to cover the right flank from the red fleet attack. This is the last attack if sunk its a win
  • IF you do have a CV then the objective is to sink the AA cruisers like the Cleveland so that our CV can sink it
  • BB coming back from the north, Very important to back up the cruisers in the repair island. It gets hot in that area very fast.

CV role

• Protect the forts at all cost, with fighters, I would argue the old bogue is perfect for this operation. It was sky cancer.
  • Should head north from the get go and use the fighters to protect the forts and spot the red fleet.
  • Use the T bombers to attack the red CV AFTER the BBs sink the near by cruisers.
  • IF the CV driver does he's duty then the forts are safe and the CV is sunk then you have a shoot.

Cruisers role

• Is to DMG the DDs in the south at the crack of the gun
  • Sink the Cleveland that spawns to the left
  • Then high tail it to the repair point fast, with the buffed Operations, BBs will delete you in less then 5 min in to the game.
  • Defend the repair island from the 4 DDs, if your in a light cruisers dont venture to far from repair, You will get deleted so fast.
  • Remember you dont have to go to to them, They WILL come to you, as long as everyone use that repair wisely and concentrate fire on incoming ships. You will have HP left to maybe go after the CV at the 5 min mark.
  • BUT if not I would leave the CV sinking to the BBs, you guys focus fire priorities on the 
  1. DDs
  2. AA cruisers
  3. regular cruisers
  4. BBs

DDs role

• Sorry guys I dont recommend sending a DD in this operation, that doesn;t mean it cant be done since a low detection DD can probably sneak by and nail the CV. I dont recommend it for a 5 star attempt.

Hope and pray no one brings the PENSACOLA to the battle its a loss always.  Again team work is key, if a cruiser goes down before you reach the repair zone, its done its going to be a rough bronco ride. CHeers! it GL (BTW I manage to get two 5 stars, 1 with CV and 1 without, both where still intense to get)

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
201 posts
9,391 battles
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

In a 3 BB role set.

• one BB heads north and sinks the omaha and the ATL
  • The other 2 provide cover fire down rage on the cruisers spawning from the left and right.
  • After the 4 red DDs rush the repair (if there is no CV in our fleet),  that is the cue to go and sink the red CV quickly and return back to cover the right flank from the red fleet attack. This is the last attack if sunk its a win
  • IF you do have a CV then the objective is to sink the AA cruisers like the Cleveland so that our CV can sink it
  • BB coming back from the north, Very important to back up the cruisers in the repair island. It gets hot in that area very fast.

For discussion,   one of those BBs should try to intercept the first wave of bombers.   Should sail around to give fire support to other locations,  but should make it back to give AA to the forts.

I see on average that first wave doing 25k-35k damage to the single fort.    I attempted this during a game in my DoY, but was a little late with my timing.  I still managed to shred half the planes in total from the 2 squads before their attack.  The fort still ate 21k damage.

In some of those close call wins with 4 stars,  losing that star in the last 10-30secs is total crap.  Preventing 20k damage in the early game,  might've made it a much more sure thing.

So I'm wondering for the players who are having success with 5 stars,   stopping the first bomber wave is always a top priority?   But I have seen situations where that would not be possible.   I spawned in a game yesterday,  with 1BB 4CL 2DD.

[-VT-]
Members
378 posts
22,695 battles

Do it with your clan mates.  Best way to ace the operations.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
Just now, Sabene said:

Do it with your clan mates.  Best way to ace the operations.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

yeah -- DDs don't have much umph against BOTs in scenario battles.  BOTs already know before you launch torps how they are going to dodge them.  Only time torps are effective is close range.  Although guaranteed someone will respond to my post with how they torp'd a bot BB at 10km.   BOTs always focus fire DDs far more effectively than any human teams will ever do.  The closer a human driven ship gets to bots the more the BOTs focus fire the ship.  Any time I see a player bring a DD into a scenario, its invariably dead within the first 5 minutes.    DDs are really effective against humans -- not so effective against BOTs in scenario battles.

Stick to high rate of fire cruisers in operations.  Ive been running my Atlanta the last couple days in current scenario as its the easiest way to complete several of the ongoing mission tasks.  I'm having a lot of success with it.   

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,389 battles
32 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:
  1. CV role
  • Protect the forts at all cost, with fighters, I would argue the old bogue is perfect for this operation. It was sky cancer.
  • Should head north from the get go and use the fighters to protect the forts and spot the red fleet.
  • Use the T bombers to attack the red CV AFTER the BBs sink the near by cruisers.
  • IF the CV driver does he's duty then the forts are safe and the CV is sunk then you have a shoot.

Add to this, striking the designated targets along with the aircraft from the aerodrome. Being able to get that objective quickly does wonders freeing up the team dealing with the ship's in general.

Kaga 2/2/1 and Hiryu 2/2/2 are both excellent for this, Saipan is overkill for the fighters, not so hot on the strike end, and Ranger's DB's are too much RNG to be trusted, you'll be busy with the fighter brick though.

I gave up on doing it with random teams, too many DD's, yoloing cruisers, ect... to make the frustration worth it.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles

I've enjoyed this op in Leningrad so far. It's a good choice if you want to bring a dd. 

The only issue I've found is that the bot Mahan hits me consistently from near max range. Makes no sense.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
249 posts
3,471 battles

Great the only t7 cruizser i have is the penscola aside from dd guesz i will ztop trying this op

Members
503 posts
3,459 battles
3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:
  1. After the 4 red DDs rush the repair (if there is no CV in our fleet),  that is the cue to go and sink the red CV quickly and return back to cover the right flank from the red fleet attack. This is the last attack if sunk its a win

Actually, no BB or any ship for that matter should go after the Ranger at that point.  There is a very good chance that a spawn will drop right on you.  The smart play for BB's is to camp North of the repair zone to handle all three possible spawn points.  Then, after all waves have been handled, you can sink the CV.  The "new and improved Op" CV now sails due South of the Repair base...say 12-18km...by the time all waves are done. At that point, it's simply a matter of someone spotting him and the team can enjoy a final race-to-kill.  If a BB does rush the CV, and if the wave spawns to the East, then your guns are useless.  If the wave spawns to the West, you're dead.  The only scenario where this might be ok is if the wave spawns to the south, but you have to make this call long before the wave spawns.  Finally, having a strong AA bubble around the repair base makes the Ranger attacks meaningless.  If you hang around the repair base, by the time the waves are through, there's a very good chance the Ranger has no planes left.     

I'm pretty sure the Devs changed the Op to make that CV rush a fool's errand...

Edited by Uber_Ghost

[WORX]
Members
1,632 posts
12,662 battles
6 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

Actually, no BB or any ship for that matter should go after the Ranger at that point. 

I disagree,  BUT since I dont have visual aides to help me in explaining why in a 3 BB set, going after the CV after sinking the DDs rushing the repair spot if the perfect time use BB guns to sink the CV. I think the only thing left to explain is, using the range of BB guns to nail the CV quickly, the quicker the better. AA Defense is terrible for BBs and cruisers need to hug the repair to gun down the attacks. Those forts are not sturdy  enough to fulfill the requirement. I do it every time driving BB. Cheers!

[WOLF3]
Members
5,923 posts
2,193 battles
49 minutes ago, Ron4ja said:

Great the only t7 cruizser i have is the penscola aside from dd guesz i will ztop trying this op

I'd stop the Op, but not because of Pensie.  I've done 'alright' in it.

To answer the original question, "You don't."

• Cool 1

Members
503 posts
3,459 battles
7 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I disagree,  BUT since I dont have visual aides to help me in explaining why in a 3 BB set, going after the CV after sinking the DDs rushing the repair spot if the perfect time use BB guns to sink the CV. I think the only thing left to explain is, using the range of BB guns to nail the CV quickly, the quicker the better. AA Defense is terrible for BBs and cruisers need to hug the repair to gun down the attacks. Those forts are not sturdy  enough to fulfill the requirement. I do it every time driving BB. Cheers!

The problem is, the DD’s don’t just rush the repair base by themselves anymore. They are accompanied by a BB wave and both waves have a specific time-to-kill target. There’s also an additional spawn group after this series of waves. It is not like it was before. And, every gun not focused on the immediate threats is a wasted resource. Finally, the main culprit in group failure is the reds rushing the fort.  This is the primary threat. The Ranger never threatens the fort directly. A loss of BB dpm might be manageable in a dedicated Div or very good team. It’s downright catastrophic to normal teams. 

Sign in to follow this