You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

PSA: Smoke works both ways, destroyers.

72 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

Please, if you're a destroyer and you're the first one to a cap, don't just smoke up and sit inside it. Besides attracting torpedoes, you're also denying your team critical vision. You want that enemy destroyer sunk, right? And you want those annoying red cruisers exploded, right? We can't shoot at them if we can't see them, and we can't see them if you blindly sit in your smoke, playing with your long, hard torpedo.

Please spot for the team. Thank you.

• Cool 21
  • Funny 7
  • Bad 3

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,743 posts
9,446 battles

Agreed. I never smoke up unless someone has deliberately asked me to smoke a cap for them. If I do I make sure to sit in front of the smoke to spot for them.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

I never smoke up unless someone has deliberately asked me to smoke a cap for them. If I do I make sure to sit in front of the smoke to spot for them.

^

Please take note, that's good destroyer play. That's team play.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

It's gonna happen to you more often now that you mentioned it.

He's just gonna smoke up and park right in the middle of it, blind and oblivious, until the two DDs and three CAs inevitably come along to proximity-spot and blow him into the next match.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

Sit in smoke is a perfect targer for enemy dds drop torps.

• Funny 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

If I have an aggressive CA or CL driver following me to a cap I'll typically lay a smoke screen for them to camp in while I push into the cap.  Nothing nicer for a DD driver than to have an Atlanta in a smoke screen giving you covering fire while you cap.  Yummy...

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,197 posts
7,158 battles

I like to smoke in a cap...  and then go sit outside the smoke, off to the left or something, so that the reds waste all their torps into my smoke, and then I can work 'em with guns.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
Just now, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I like to smoke in a cap...  and then go sit outside the smoke, off to the left or something, so that the reds waste all their torps into my smoke, and then I can work 'em with guns.

yup -- always good fun if you have good base concealment.  lay smoke hover off to the sides of the smoke and watch red torpedoes try and sink my smoke screen 

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,728 posts
7,354 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

^

Please take note, that's good destroyer play. That's team play.

I smoke if I have to break detection because I'm getting focused. I keep smoke till I have to use it, otherwise, I won't have it when I really do need it, or the team needs it. People that do what you described drive me insane.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,728 posts
7,354 battles
8 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

It's gonna happen to you more often now that you mentioned it.

He's just gonna smoke up and park right in the middle of it, blind and oblivious, until the two DDs and three CAs inevitably come along to proximity-spot and blow him into the next match.

I've done that 5 times in the last 20 rounds, DS'd a DD hiding in smoke, with a DD, no less. :D

[SSPL]
Members
73 posts
4,813 battles

Unless asked, I don't use my smoke except for evasion.  When I cap, I A. make sure I have at least one cruiser to shoot the red DD that is also trying to cap. B. Position myself for a rapid exit. Back in if necessary.  and C. Try my darnedest not to get into a knife fight, because invariably, regardless of whether I live, I will always lose a significant amount of health.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,743 posts
9,446 battles
8 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

If I have an aggressive CA or CL driver following me to a cap I'll typically lay a smoke screen for them to camp in while I push into the cap.  Nothing nicer for a DD driver than to have an Atlanta in a smoke screen giving you covering fire while you cap.  Yummy...

Or Minotaur. :etc_red_button:

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Or Minotaur. :etc_red_button:

yeah but SS Mino can poop its own smoke.  i dont typically go out of my way to smoke british CLs unless its just me and him trying to hold and flank and I see his own smoke screen is about to expire.  that's one of those "if he dies -- I die" moments.  

[IKEA]
Members
139 posts
3,208 battles

Oh there's so much fun to be had if a DD smokes and can no longer see the radar cruiser coming out from behind his island and aiming his guns in preparation for lighting you up.

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

I'm one of those aggressive CA drivers... If I do see a DD do this, and lose my spotting I usually pop my fighter to do it for us...but if the reds are too close, he of course gets shot down quick. :Smile_sad: 

Also @Lert playing with your torpedo? Lewd! :Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 1

Members
17,764 posts
5,084 battles
3 minutes ago, Reikyu said:

Oh there's so much fun to be had if a DD smokes and can no longer see the radar cruiser coming out from behind his island and aiming his guns in preparation for lighting you up.

Or charging a smoke screen with a Hindy, lighting off the hydro, and seeing the DD just sitting there, waiting for his torps to reload....

Alpha Tester
4,699 posts
2,401 battles
28 minutes ago, Lert said:

Please, if you're a destroyer and you're the first one to a cap, don't just smoke up and sit inside it. Besides attracting torpedoes, you're also denying your team critical vision. You want that enemy destroyer sunk, right? And you want those annoying red cruisers exploded, right? We can't shoot at them if we can't see them, and we can't see them if you blindly sit in your smoke, playing with your long, hard torpedo.

Question: If you're in a DD capping, and there's an enemy DD doing the same thing at close enough range that shooting it will get you spotted but not close enough that you'll hit it with torpedoes, what are you supposed to do if not smoke up? If you shoot you'll get spotted and focused down, you can't leave the cap or they'll take it, and a DD hiding in smoke is still worth more than a dead one to your team.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
9 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Question: If you're in a DD capping, and there's an enemy DD doing the same thing at close enough range that shooting it will get you spotted but not close enough that you'll hit it with torpedoes, what are you supposed to do if not smoke up?

Provided your team is right behind you and you're not spotted yet, do nothing. Hold your fire, hold your torps, don't smoke up. You're spotting him for your team. Your team will shoot at the DD. Any damage your team does adds up as spotting damage for you, earning you XP and credits. The red DD won't push you because he's under fire and DDs don't like that, so he'll likely turn and run or smoke up. If he smokes up, approach and launch your torpedoes at his smoke. If he turns and runs, the cap is yours.

If your team is not right behind you and you don't have support, smoke and disengage. Don't just sit in your smoke, that's a big beacon for enemies to launch torpedoes at.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

sometimes i smoke in a cap just to draw the enemy torpedoes. i don't sit in the smoke. i wait to the side of the smoke, then chase down the enemy DD that just lost it's heavy ordinance with peace of mind that i don't have to drive overly insane to avoid his torps. (just partially insane)

it's a situational tactic, but it always makes me giggle when it works.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
158 posts
3,471 battles

Lert, thanks for starting this thread. +1  I've been unsure when to smoke in my DD's and the responses here have really helped out and given me strategies to consider.  As an aside, when I'm not sure what to do, I usually drop a yellow dye marker and haul a**. 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

If you ever sit in smoke, at least keep moving. Do not just stop.

Moving forwards or backwards will keep your momentum to make it easier to dodge torps.

While moving, position yourself differently than when you were last spotted. At the very least, point your ship in a direction you will ultimately head out when you leave.

It's not always black and white.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[SIM]
Members
2,430 posts
4,060 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I owe you a +1. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
3 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

It's a shame the people who need to see this the most never will.

There's always someone who makes this comment. Always.

Know of a better way to get the word out?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2