You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UberSamurai

Infinite fire meta has to stop

293 comments in this topic

[FAO]
Members
4 posts
2,193 battles

Obligatory intro: I know this post will only summon trolls and elitest with their "get good noob" [edited], but I really don't care. So, feel free to attack me. You're wasting your breath, but I know you don't care about that either.

I just exited a match in which I was set on fire over ten times in about nine minutes. Two cruisers sitting at 15k doing circles completely focusing on me in my Kurfurst. Between them, I was forced to use every single ship repair and had to run away from the cap point because Kurfurst doesn't have the accuracy to one shot them while they twirled around in circles spamming HE. My team was no help, they couldn't kill them anymore than I could for whatever reason.

So, I'm left to burn to death without ever being able to make it to a place on the map where I can be useful since fire burns based on total health pool and Kurfurst has the most.

I've had to change my entire build at tier 8 and up on my BBs in order to be able to survive HE spam and it still does little to prevent inevitable burning to death or the desperate running away to keep from burning to death. 

And it's no special ship that is the culprit. Most DDs and Cruisers at that tier, and obviously British BBs, are easily capable of maintaining sustained fire long enough to keep BBs permanently burning with no need for any skill whatsoever. Angling doesn't matter like it does when you're brawling at 10k with another BB like the Yamato. It's just an easy damage farm that buffs up the numbers of the HE spamming player as if he/she is actually any good at the game at all and it has made tier10 an actual nightmare.

Admittedly, I too use HE extensively. Why? Because ships are designed for HE to be the most effective means of engaging enemies that are not broadside. Obviously, HE is as necessary as AP, but the chance to set an enemy ship on fire is far too high across the entirety of WoWs. It's no longer necessary to switch ammo in any ship. BBs stay in AP, unless you're the Conq, and everything else stays in HE and spam until the enemy dies.

There's plenty of other issues that WG either don't care about or have swept under the rug for so long that they're forgotten but, between horrid Match Making, no counter for radar, and HE "spam 'til they die," the game is just unplayable, and we haven't even mentioned players that see no reason to ever play the objective so they hide away at max range and, you guessed it, spam HE to farm damage and make free cash.

I'm going away from WoWs for a long time. I've had enough.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 11
  • Bad 6

Alpha Tester
4,623 posts
2,400 battles

Is HE annoying? Yes. 

Is it annoying enough to whine about? No.

Are there ways to counter it/minimize the effects? Yes, it's called a survivability build on your captain/flags, sticking with your team, and timing your DC and heals properly.

Therefore, I suggest you take the advice of this song.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 6

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Situation awareness should have told you not to go there. Yes the GK is a brawler but capabilities of focus fired HE is a certain death sentence. Know where your enemy is before you commit. Yolo solo and die. Bring your fleet with you.

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Is fire the problem here? Would it be acceptable to trade all of the DoT they dealt to alpha damage? That would have probably made things worse for you.

I can understand frustration with continuing to take damage after having reached a position of safety, but it doesn't sound like you ever reached such a position. Fire was not the issue here, you being under sustained attack for too long was the issue.

• Cool 3

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,142 posts
1,641 battles

What build are you running?  Are you using flags that reduce fire duration and increase hit points recovered?

Members
880 posts
6,895 battles

Ten fires in nine minutes is nothing. The other day I got into a 25s gun fight with a yugumo while I was in a fletcher. In that time he started 3 fires, destroyed one torp launcher and knocked out 5 other modules. IJN DD guns are OP and need to be nerfed.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 9

[3TL]
Beta Testers
16 posts
4,427 battles

So, in the situation described in the OP - this player occupies 100% or nearly 100% of outgoing fire from 2 out of 12 players on the enemy team, forces them back 15km from whatever objective he's pushing, and in this situation, it takes those two players 9 minutes, or 45% of the entirety of the maximum match length, in order to sink him. And this DPS is a problem since he couldn't fire back a ~30 second reload 1-shot? No "get good," but a massive "fail to see a problem other than the BB might be too survivable."

• Cool 10
  • Funny 2

Members
659 posts
4,240 battles

As a person who has been focused to death and burned down many times in battleships it was almost always my fault for poor positioning.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
4,521 posts
11,433 battles
52 minutes ago, UberSamurai said:

Obligatory intro: I know this post will only summon trolls and elitest with their "get good noob" [edited], but I really don't care. So, feel free to attack me. You're wasting your breath, but I know you don't care about that either.

I just exited a match in which I was set on fire over ten times in about nine minutes. Two cruisers sitting at 15k doing circles completely focusing on me in my Kurfurst. Between them, I was forced to use every single ship repair and had to run away from the cap point because Kurfurst doesn't have the accuracy to one shot them while they twirled around in circles spamming HE. My team was no help, they couldn't kill them anymore than I could for whatever reason.

So, I'm left to burn to death without ever being able to make it to a place on the map where I can be useful since fire burns based on total health pool and Kurfurst has the most.

I've had to change my entire build at tier 8 and up on my BBs in order to be able to survive HE spam and it still does little to prevent inevitable burning to death or the desperate running away to keep from burning to death. 

And it's no special ship that is the culprit. Most DDs and Cruisers at that tier, and obviously British BBs, are easily capable of maintaining sustained fire long enough to keep BBs permanently burning with no need for any skill whatsoever. Angling doesn't matter like it does when you're brawling at 10k with another BB like the Yamato. It's just an easy damage farm that buffs up the numbers of the HE spamming player as if he/she is actually any good at the game at all and it has made tier10 an actual nightmare.

Admittedly, I too use HE extensively. Why? Because ships are designed for HE to be the most effective means of engaging enemies that are not broadside. Obviously, HE is as necessary as AP, but the chance to set an enemy ship on fire is far too high across the entirety of WoWs. It's no longer necessary to switch ammo in any ship. BBs stay in AP, unless you're the Conq, and everything else stays in HE and spam until the enemy dies.

There's plenty of other issues that WG either don't care about or have swept under the rug for so long that they're forgotten but, between horrid Match Making, no counter for radar, and HE "spam 'til they die," the game is just unplayable, and we haven't even mentioned players that see no reason to ever play the objective so they hide away at max range and, you guessed it, spam HE to farm damage and make free cash.

I'm going away from WoWs for a long time. I've had enough.

Ten fires in nine minutes in a battleship is not that big a deal.  Build for survivability in a BB, like you already should have, and learn to manage your consumables.  Learn when to trigger repair (and not DC) when you're on fire.  Use DC when repair is on cooldown, and only when you really need it, like with multiple simultaneous fires.  I suck at battleships but even I know that helps.

The second paragraph basically describes you charging forward to cap in your battleship and getting focused as a result.  Other than an apparent lack of SA on your part, I don't see a problem.

Doesn't help you at all blaming anything else but yourself for your shortcomings in this game.

Edited by Kuckoo

[SOA]
Alpha Tester
553 posts
2,474 battles

9 fires in 10 minutes is nothing to cry about. Scharnhorst got set on fire four times in less than a minute today. Needless to say I didn't last very long after that. But I was forced to make a play and had to trade my ship to kill the offending Atlanta, and secure the win. Worth.

--Helms

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

...burning down the Blücher...no repair party consumable

[OPG]
Supertester
1,877 posts
9,970 battles

There most certainly is an issue, but that issue is not HE spam being OP, but rather HE spam not doing enough.

In your own example 2 enemy ships 100% focusing you for 9 minutes and still failed to kill you despite you being unable to kill either of them.   No ship should be able to survive 2 other ships focusing them exclusively for half the match.   

dgHyDID.jpg.297997c00170265ecb3900b2f9c04d54.jpg

Edit: Ninja'ed by Pejoratives

Edited by SyndicatedINC
  • Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

OP, get a cruiser and burn down BBs. You will see that it is less easy as you think. You will also see how others deal with it, something you can learn from :)

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
2 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

OP, get a cruiser and burn down BBs. You will see that it is less easy as you think. You will also see how others deal with it, something you can learn from :)

That was my exact response to that the first time a couple cruisers burned down my Wyoming.  I got a cruiser, and learned how to do it myself...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,143 posts
3,867 battles

Look at the battleship main, complaining that it took 2 cruisers 10 minutes and a lot of luck (Getting fires to stick, not getting nailed by incoming AP) to sink one battleship.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
22 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

As a person who has been focused to death and burned down many times in battleships it was almost always my fault for poor positioning.

Pretty much this. Put yourself in a position to get foccussed and whew will you ever. 

Generally I find fire slingers are either in a position for me to shoot them back, or hidden behind an island I can withdraw away from to get out of Burn Land. The biggest threats are the ones in smoke since their angle of fire is unobstructed by mountain cover, but even then you can take cover or withdraw if you don't have radar or hydro. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles

My suggestion would be to stop playing battleships. Fire doesn't seem to matter quite so much on the other ships because you're dead before it becomes an issue you would post about on the forums.

• Funny 4

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles

I believe  Gosser can out range all cruisers.

I believe fire prevention will allow you to survive longer.

I believe not going it alone will increase your survivability. 

But you have already said your goodbye, so NVM.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,885 posts
8,168 battles

As much as hate to be the recipient of this fire, I am quite sure the meta is working fine, use flags, increase your angle and keep radar boats ahead of you, don't yolo, stay back and use more range. Think about that you can shoot like 22km and they shoot like 18km.

Hope this helps.

• Bad 1

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles

So, basically, you're saying that there should be no way that any cruiser be able to kill a battleship. No amount of cruiser damage should be allowed to kill a BB. 

Thanks for your opinion. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
1 hour ago, UberSamurai said:

I'm going away from WoWs for a long time. I've had enough.

I mainly play BBs, and I have over twice the number of battles in GK compared to you, and it has never occurred to me to complain about fires...  Perhaps the fire is not a problem after all?