You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Some Help With This Line Please

8 comments in this topic

[STW-D]
Members
1,849 posts
5,651 battles

So far I've played exactly one random battles in a pan-asian destroyer, and that's in tier 3.

That one game, I did a grand total of 3k damage.

In order to not completely potato up the line, I humbly request some tips/a guide to playing pan-asian dd's.

Are they cappers? Knife-fighters? Long-range torpedo boats? Gunboats?

How does one play them?

All tips and guides are appreciated.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,500 posts
7,354 battles

They are multi role DDs...  Capping and knife fighting depends heavily on your ability to gun down any red DDs that show up to counter you.  

Use the stealth to take down BBs with your torps.

I prefer to stick with other DDs when I play PAs.  Gang up on reds in the caps, while not worrying that you will TK your buddy. Torp and run BBs and CAs..

I struggled through the low tiers, but love the T7 Gadjah Mada.

Overall, not my fav DDs.  But, it is an interesting line.  Much prefer my Germans.

• Cool 1

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,065 posts
12,566 battles

Q. Are they cappers? Knife-fighters? Long-range torpedo boats? Gunboats?

A. Yes to all above, however the DD action depends on the situation

Playing the Pan-Asian destroyers is the most frustrating tree there is because of their uniqueness in game play. First of all I love the Phra Ruang. I think it's a good destroyer when played correctly. I found it seems like a light cruiser based on your commander skills.

To make a quick summation, they (Pan Asians) are more of support destroyers. They don't go into the capture points in the beginning of the matches unless there is no other threat around. The Pan Asian DDs are more like the fraidy cats of the battle. Dump your torpedoes vs the heavier ships and run away. Prepare to get frustrated with torpedo misses. Your torpedoes are used to nudge the enemy away to another direction for your battleships to get broadside opportunities. Use your guns most of the time in supporting attacks. Don't go alone unless you are very confident in your game play.

Here are some videos with good and bad results for ideas in game play for the Pan Asians.

Phra Ruang - Tier 3

Shenyang - Tier 4

JianWei - Tier 5

And for more information you can go to Shipcomrade.com for more information here too. Good luck to you in your grind.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,706 posts
11,320 battles

They don't all play the same, as there is some diversity to the line, I would generalize and call them hybrids as they do many tasks well. The t3 is kinda rubbish, but the t4 is borderline OP. There are some other low points in the line, like the t5 and the t8, but as a whole, great DDs.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,418 battles

Whisky's Gaming Loung, i.e. YOURPEACEKEEPER. Just finished a complete series on the Pan Asains.

He does a 22 to 39 min video on each ship. History, stats, modules and recommnded play style, followed by a battle video.

This is THE best way to discover the line as multiple countries provided the destroyers, so each ship plays different.

So far I found Gadja Mada a very strong ship, but requires a 12+  captain.

The tier 9 i just started on, it is a better Fletcher with DW torps.

My clanmate has the tier 10 and loves it.

• Cool 1

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles
3 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Whisky's Gaming Loung, i.e. YOURPEACEKEEPER. Just finished a complete series on the Pan Asains.

He does a 22 to 39 min video on each ship. History, stats, modules and recommnded play style, followed by a battle video.

This is THE best way to discover the line as multiple countries provided the destroyers, so each ship plays different.

So far I found Gadja Mada a very strong ship, but requires a 12+  captain.

The tier 9 i just started on, it is a better Fletcher with DW torps.

My clanmate has the tier 10 and loves it.

These vids are helpful BUT one challenge you may find is that they often say things like "X plays like US DDs, Y like the Russian DDs etc." That never meant much to me since this is the only DD line I've played. Agree that this line is great for discovering how the other lines play as the line varies more than others

5 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

So far I've played exactly one random battles in a pan-asian destroyer, and that's in tier 3.

That one game, I did a grand total of 3k damage.

In order to not completely potato up the line, I humbly request some tips/a guide to playing pan-asian dd's.

Are they cappers? Knife-fighters? Long-range torpedo boats? Gunboats?

How does one play them?

All tips and guides are appreciated.

I've learned a couple of things...

1) They are generally gun and torp hybrids so you can contest caps but generally don't want to be first in / fully committed without supporting CAs or another DD as you don't have torps that can hit other DDs.

2) The T4 Shenyang has great guns and can outgun most other DDs which makes it good for knife-fighting and it's also a good torp boat. For me it's the one I felt most comfortable fighting other DDs with

3) The T5 kind of sucks, it doesn't perform either the gun boat or torp boat role that well

4) The T6 is a longer range gunboat first but with very workable torps against BBs

5) The T7 is a total hybrid - good guns and can easily stealth torp with 10 a fish salvo

6) The smoke is the best in the game so make heavy use of it if there are no enemy DDs around.  Smoke up and lay down a lot of fire on CAs and BBs.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,418 battles
14 hours ago, coletrain_commander said:

These vids are helpful BUT one challenge you may find is that they often say things like "X plays like US DDs, Y like the Russian DDs etc." That never meant much to me since this is the only DD line I've played. Agree that this line is great for discovering how the other lines play as the line varies more than others

I've learned a couple of things...

1) They are generally gun and torp hybrids so you can contest caps but generally don't want to be first in / fully committed without supporting CAs or another DD as you don't have torps that can hit other DDs.

2) The T4 Shenyang has great guns and can outgun most other DDs which makes it good for knife-fighting and it's also a good torp boat. For me it's the one I felt most comfortable fighting other DDs with

3) The T5 kind of sucks, it doesn't perform either the gun boat or torp boat role that well

4) The T6 is a longer range gunboat first but with very workable torps against BBs

5) The T7 is a total hybrid - good guns and can easily stealth torp with 10 a fish salvo

6) The smoke is the best in the game so make heavy use of it if there are no enemy DDs around.  Smoke up and lay down a lot of fire on CAs and BBs.

His videos do mention the flavor of the ship. But he quantifies it with how to best play that ship. Followed by a commntary on a battle video explaining how to play that ship effectively.