Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Dilbert

Plane spotted torps - ranges

8 comments in this topic

[WSU]
Members
1,494 posts
9,658 battles

Can someone point me to where I can find information on what the plane spotting range is for torpedoes?  I checked the Wiki but could not find any details.

Members
1,781 posts
17,372 battles

Good question...update cuts "it" in 1/2...but what is "it". I think spotter planes should lose the ability to spot torps period...fighters/bomber have to remain some what low to take out incoming bombers/release ordinance but spotters need to fly VERY high in order to extend firing range by 20% (I know this is actually a 2D format instead of truly 3D & all planes are considered to be at 0' & 30k' at all times but theoretically spotters should be way too high up to spot toprs).

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
23 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I think spotter planes should lose the ability to spot torps period...fighters/bomber have to remain some what low

I too would like the ranges and if it is related to the ship spotting ranges. It might influence when it is worth launching torps with planes around.

As far as the comment above, spotters would not have to go all that high to extend their view range much farther than the ship can see. Too high and clouds start blocking your sightlines. In addition, spotters have crew dedicated to looking out the window, likely with binoculars, and making reports on what they see. You really think a fighter pilot in combat mode is going to notice and report torpedo tracks when there are enemy planes and ships to deal with? Formations to maintain? "Head-on-a-swive"l was generally scanning the skies for enemy aircraft. Game mechanics give all aircraft the same sighting ability AFAIK. One of the main uses of spotter aircraft is as a torpedo warning system for ships without hydro. When WG deals with the radar-through-mountains thing, they can start looking at the different spotting abilities of different aircraft types.

Members
1,781 posts
17,372 battles
10 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

radar-through-mountains thing,

Actually you don't need radar or hydro to see through mountains in this game...it's called assured acquisition (base 2km extended to 3km w/commander skill).

Hydro & radar just extend the assured acquisition mechanic...nobody ever complains about the basic assured acquisition mechanic...but when it gets extended to radar ranges everybody has all sorts of comments about how radar can't see through mountains IRL...but if you take 2 enterprise CVs (the longest ships ever built) & place them on opposite sides of a 2km island they are not going to be able to see each other IRL.

Now the question is...do you want assured acquisition to be removed from the game altogether...or just the radar ranges of it?

[WSU]
Members
1,494 posts
9,658 battles

I think that assured acquisition behind islands is just as stupid as hydro and radar through islands.

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
8 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Now the question is...do you want assured acquisition to be removed from the game altogether...or just the radar ranges of it?

I accept the 2K assured acquisition as part of the game, I would be just as accepting if that mechanic did not exist. Radar just magnifies this to absurdity however with no counter. The 2K detection is at least mutual, both ships can "see" each other. Radar makes it a very one-sided affair.

Members
1,781 posts
17,372 battles
10 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I accept the 2K assured acquisition as part of the game, I would be just as accepting if that mechanic did not exist. Radar just magnifies this to absurdity however with no counter. The 2K detection is at least mutual, both ships can "see" each other. Radar makes it a very one-sided affair.

But if the issue is "behind islands" then at least the radar ship has no ability to attack you while behind that island...his teammates can but he is useless in that regard w/out coming out & putting himself in the danger zone also.

OP premiums w/smoke & radar (Belfast/Black) are the exception not the rule (although Belfasts were definitely out in cancerous proportions during the T7 premium season) but the new smoke mechanic even leaves the Belfast in a precarious situation unless he's in that little buffer area between radar range & detected after firing in smoke range...& a smart DD player will try to charge towards him to leave him detected in his smoke for 20 seconds after firing so even if the worst happens the Belfast risks a good chance of being deleted by the DDs team.

[WSU]
Members
1,494 posts
9,658 battles

I'm beginning to wonder if this information is even publicly available.  Maybe when the patch comes out reducing the spottting ranges they will let us know what the actual ranges?

Sign in to follow this