You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Scubasteve0719

How to go about Clan Training

5 comments in this topic

[PARS1]
Members
6 posts
2,252 battles

So just looking for some advice from the other clans out there. We are trying to establish some form of a training plan to help clan members build their skills and be more competitive. How does your clan handle training? Do you go one on one in a training room with a good player and the trainee or do you get the clan together and do 7 on 7 training "battles". Do you use the same channels for voice communication for both teams in a 7 on 7? Do you have any rules or training requirements members have to complete? Just looking for some advice for a good starting point. Thanks!

[STW-A]
[STW-A]
Beta Testers
113 posts
12,469 battles

1)first thing I would recommend is making a game plan for maps, usually 2 strats per maps with about 3 audibles per strat. I use http://en.wowstactic.tk/ to set them up. a good thing would be to set up a strat then pull everyone into the map and talk about it. what is good, what is bad, what can be changed and what cant. the whole team knowing the main strat  for a map before the fight starts will allow them to move into position faster. which means the shot caller doesn't need to tell ppl little things saving time. then go into a training room and practice just moving into proper position. you can do a 7v7 if you have the players. this way both sides see where the enemy will be at when they get to where they are suppose to be. which will help them even more understand how to position in that spot. remembering how long it takes to get to each spot at the start of the match can be important. if you know it takes 90 secs to get to this spot from the north but 110 seconds from the south. your players will know if they have the advantage or not.

2)Next practice with dds staying out of radar range. basically riding that fine line of being close enough to spot but far enough back not to get radared. next would be for them to practice finding an out. as in if they are going to patrol an area. they should be thinking ahead of time where am I going to escape to if I get spotted or radared. if you know in advance what to do as a dd. you will not freak out when it happens. freaking out can make mistakes. 

*I got radared do I turn left or right. do I keep going forward to that island or turn back for this island. all that helps.

3) cruisers need to practice which islands can they shot over and not be spotted, what angle should I be at when being shot at. how to properly go dark and escape an area as safely as possible. when to push and when to play safe. if you have 4 ships vs 2 enemy and can move up with out giving broadsides some times its best to push it. wasting to much time in an idle fight might allow the enemy to flank you with the rest of their fleet.

4) Focusing a target. you should have priority targets when the match start. focus fire is very important. faster an enemy ship dies, the less guns are shotting at you. if you are shotting at a ship that isn't affecting the battle IE running away, to far out to be effective, or just not hitting their shells. some times its better to find a target that is affecting the battle like a radar ship or dd. try to never focus the bb first.

there is more but I gotta go to work good luck

Members
9 posts
121 battles

There is one general piece of advice that applies to all training, clan war battles, division fighting, or just learning a ship better.

• Have the person in the clan with the most training and experience in teaching help assemble the lesson plans. A person with an M.A. in Education and high-grade-level classroom experience is the best.  If nothing else, they should at least know about VAK learning, and how to adopt a lesson plan to support learning differences.

Even the BEST material won't get through to your "students" - unless they receive it in a way they understand. Yeah, I know it seems silly to be using the same techniques that you hated when on the receiving end in High School or early College. However, people have spent decades and decades studying how learning happens. It's silly to ignore that body of knowledge.

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
44 posts
5,979 battles

Use wows tatics page as @Jamesalot_ET mentioned.  The whole post is very good advice.  I actually went as far as playing a "playbook" on Google docs with precise instructions for each role on the team with pictures from my wows tactics map.  This was the most valuable as we would enter a clan battles the shot caller would assign roles such as "this player, will be playing role #2 on this side of the map".  Player could look up role #2 could look up and read their role and know exactly what they needed to do.  Of course this takes time. Took me 5 hours to out the thing together. But worth every minute.  We only use this when starting a new season of CB with new players. This can even help experienced players that are just new to your team. 

Also practice is the best way to get better.  Ask other clans to do scrimmage battles in the off season of clan battles. If you find a clan you have a good relationship with you can both to each other feedback on your performance.  ADOPT has a few allied clans like this.  We sometimes record the battles with voice comms and send them to reach other to analyze. 

Right now ADOPT is preparing for Kings of the sea. Perhaps after we finish KOTS, and before next clan battles season starts we can help.  CONQR did this for us and this was extremely helpful. We would not have made it to hurricane without them.  

Members
1,681 posts
9,749 battles

I am the training officer for CUTIE/CUTE/CUTER. 

Our clan is organized on Discord.  Discord has chat and voice capabilities that we utilize.  Every member can approach me for training requests, either team sized down to solo personalized training on a ship someone might be struggling with. 

In my opinion you need to get organized.  I assume you have some voice comms, and some chat or message board system for guys to communicate.  Discord is kind of one stop shop, we love it, but also have back up voice on Teamspeak in case Discord [edited] the bed.  If not that's step one.  Step two, appoint someone to herd the cats, oversee the training regime and get stuff done.  This person should not be the clan leader.  Its just too much for one person to do it all.  Step three set up a training cycle if you are building up for something specific, but also to let guys know whats going on.  It is critical to build esprit de corps.  The more you fight together the more solid you will be as a team.

I try to either take trainees out myself, or for more specialized training pair them up with someone in CUTER who mains that particular ship for more advanced training beyond my expertise.  Unlike some clans we try to bring everyone up to CUTER levels, so there is a lot of cross team interaction.  In my experience that takes about 2-3 years of competition with at least one year in a team competing against the server's top 10 to reach CUTER's level of training.  Obviously not everyone is going to be up for this level of training or grinding.  I say grind because its nearly nonstop between Clan Battles, Ranked, King of the Sea, and them sprinkle in the odd Latin American tournaments, etc.  So set realistic goals for what you are trying to achieve.  Failing to do so, or trying too much too fast can hurt your clan.  Burn out is a real thing for competitive clans.  In my opinion if you are pounding the comps hard you need to have a heavy recruitment and training program to give guys breaks they need.  Failing to do so "breaks" players and you will lose that skill and experience. 

Take care of your people.

Training can be from diving up in randoms and teaching the basics, here's how to cap, here's how to use cover and the limits in the enemies positions that create safe areas for you to work, cover vs concealment, etc to full clan vs clan scrimmages.  Some of the most popular training my guys have given me is taking however many guys you have, say 6 in a training session, splitting them up into two 3 ship elements in the training room and have them randoms assail each other on a specific flank on Clan Battle maps.  It got the new guys intimately familiar with the terrain, but also how their ships AP works, more advanced close quarters tactics to save your HP, how to maximize HE damage, the value of crossfire, etc.  We have done this with as little as 4 ships, but 1v1 can work for some of the stuff.  Another popular one is teaching people to shoot into smokescreens accurately and consistently. 

Some lessons can be taught taking the trainee into the TR with bots.  I've taught a lot of marksmanship classes that way.

Once your team has the basics down, my suggestion is to reach out to other clans and set up a scrimmage with a clan roughly as skilled as your team.  This is mostly accomplished via Discord for most competitive clans.  CUTE's Discord is probably a good place to shop for a scrimmage.  We have reps from almost every competitive clan and a bunch from other servers too in our Discord, and we have areas set aside for the public to hang out, including voice channels to div, or just hang out. 

CUTE's Discord here

For the scrimmage its important to lay out the rule set for the scrimmage.  Is it clan battles format?  KOTS?

Shoot me a PM there if you have any other questions. 

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai