You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday - Situational Awareness

18 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
789 posts
5,786 battles

No automatic alt text available.

Often in battle, things go side ways as your health pool slowly (or rapidly) decreases and you find yourself around more enemy ships than allied ones.

1. What's your first step in regaining control of the situation?

2. What are your next steps to help turn a chaotic and disorderly mess into a organized and effective fighting force?

Don't be afraid to take cover and understand the situation and focus on short term goals while keeping in mind an overall objective and strategy.

https://twitter.com/WorldofWarships/status/986261164303835137

"Alright. They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away from us this time!" - Lewis "Chesty" Puller, US Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,264 posts
3,353 battles

That's when I just carry harder than ever and take as many reds with me.

Or....  Don't overextend.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,043 battles

PRESS + OR - KEYS TO ENLARGE OR SHRINK THE MINIMAP.

ENLARGING THE MINIMAP IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

THERE'S NO REASON TO NOT FIX YOUR EYES ON THE MINIMAP, UNLESS YOU JUST ABOUT TO SHOOT AND HAVE TO AIM.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
27 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Don't be afraid to take cover and understand the situation and focus on short term goals while keeping in mind an overall objective and strategy.

Good advice, and can you guys and gals look at maybe giving us away to move the HUD map, it being on the lower part of the screen puts out of my glasses coverage/view so I am seeing it without them, making it bigger help but still it would be nice if I could move it up some.

[WOLF2]
Members
864 posts
7,002 battles

Protect the J line at all costs!    BBs - head there, and defend!!!

And the markings on the mini-map example are confusing - what's "objectives"???

:cap_haloween:

[STW-A]
[STW-A]
Beta Testers
113 posts
12,469 battles

well with the tactical information from the mini map. your missing the position of 9 ships, one being a CV. your going solo to a cap which from the gun range must be a destroyer, IJN I'm guessing since it looks to be 9.5km range. Basically no support. The nearest positions of the 2 nearest cruisers would make them 15km away from any DD you spot. and 20km+  from any cruiser or BB. Don't jump in the cap. Just float around until you see the position of all the enemies and be ready to run and smoke if enemy CV comes to spot you. 90% of your team is going to B, so unless your team can hit targets your team is going to get out capped and be behind on points. Spotted red cruiser going A, meaning he probably has a DD going A s well. ally ships using spotter planes, so I'm guessing this is a tier 7-8 match firing at max range, or aleast those ships are. Overall meaning less reliable damage from those players shooting at their max range. Ally DD in B hasn't spotted an enemy DD at B, so good possibility they have a dd heading to C. Overall your ally ships are sitting at max range. where as the enemy ships are closer to the caps, meaning as a dd if you push on to a cap and get spotted, the enemy has a higher possibility of  killing you before your team kills them.

Have ally cruiser south of C, a cruiser and BB behind B move closer to C but stay between B and C cap area. DD going A don't go to the cap but just keep that area spotted. Everyone else behind B should move closer and focus that cruiser down. Once B is capped. half the fleet from B should go C to push on it. other half position to defend from A. The guys at C should now push up and get the C cap. The dd in B should try and drop a smoke line going across B to help concel ally ships if possible. Ally CV should be sending planes already has his fighters launched. they should already be on their way for spotting. The CV looks as if they are waiting for all planes to launch before doing any thing, which is opening up your team for an attack from the enemy cv. Your cv wont be able to get his fighters there fast enough to stop the attack. Your team has 3 ships open for a cv attack. dd going A, cruiser south of C and yourself. This is a problem with a lot of cv players. they focus their fighters to much on defending their bombers even though they are not moving them up to bomb yet. If you launch your fighters first. move them up to spot until you are ready to move bombers out to attack. then you can pull your fighters back so enemy lose sight of them. then move fighters to your bombers for the attack run. not hold your planes afk in the way back. with your whole team clumped up they are vulnerable to torpedo attack from dds. that is a good thing to use planes to spot for as well as since most the enemy team is missing from the mini map, you want to spot where the enemies good AA ships are so you know where to avoid as well as any ship that might be vulnerable for you to attack.

edit: Question: By the positioning of your DD in B, and no caps have been taken yet this is early in the match. My guess is that the ally cv is launching planes for the first time, which if he didn't load in late its a US cv. torp planes would arm faster but bombers are coming out. The question is, is this a ranger 2/0/2 loadout before the changes? Gneisenau013

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

You're the CV, your eyes are the team's eyes. 

[-SYN-]
Members
31 posts
3,745 battles
17 minutes ago, Jamesalot_ET said:

well with the tactical information from the mini map. your missing the position of 9 ships, one being a CV. your going solo to a cap which from the gun range must be a destroyer, IJN I'm guessing since it looks to be 9.5km range. Basically no support. The nearest positions of the 2 nearest cruisers would make them 15km away from any DD you spot. and 20km+  from any cruiser or BB. Don't jump in the cap. Just float around until you see the position of all the enemies and be ready to run and smoke if enemy CV comes to spot you. 90% of your team is going to B, so unless your team can hit targets your team is going to get out capped and be behind on points. Spotted red cruiser going A, meaning he probably has a DD going A s well. ally ships using spotter planes, so I'm guessing this is a tier 7-8 match firing at max range, or aleast those ships are. Overall meaning less reliable damage from those players shooting at their max range. Ally DD in B hasn't spotted an enemy DD at B, so good possibility they have a dd heading to C. Overall your ally ships are sitting at max range. where as the enemy ships are closer to the caps, meaning as a dd if you push on to a cap and get spotted, the enemy has a higher possibility of  killing you before your team kills them.

Have ally cruiser south of C, a cruiser and BB behind B move closer to C but stay between B and C cap area. DD going A don't go to the cap but just keep that area spotted. Everyone else behind B should move closer and focus that cruiser down. Once B is capped. half the fleet from B should go C to push on it. other half position to defend from A. The guys at C should now push up and get the C cap. The dd in B should try and drop a smoke line going across B to help concel ally ships if possible.

This is good James. Maybe we should have more of these mini-map screen shots that we then have to analyse as what is going on, what is likely to happen, what should be done next, etc. Be helpful for encouraging strategic thinking (which I need more of). 

Btw, this is probably a dumb question but how do you know the distances ie. 9.5 kms for the dd, etc? I thought each square was 5 kms.

[STW-A]
[STW-A]
Beta Testers
113 posts
12,469 battles
2 minutes ago, bigsnit said:

This is good James. Maybe we should have more of these mini-map screen shots that we then have to analyse as what is going on, what is likely to happen, what should be done next, etc. Be helpful for encouraging strategic thinking (which I need more of). 

Btw, this is probably a dumb question but how do you know the distances ie. 9.5 kms for the dd, etc? I thought each square was 5 kms.

Each map square size is different depending on the match. I believe this map is something like 4.7km  or 4.8km. but the 9.5km is a guess. its probably between 9.5km to 11.5km. But it doesn't look that big. For sure the dd doesn't have AFT. If it is 9.5km well 9.4km I could for sure say that its a kagero. over all though I've played to many games and have a decent judgment on positions and ranges from looking at the mini map.

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,033 battles

Most of the time I drive via mini-map. Especially in a high RoF ship.

The only problem is when ships are within a few kilometers of each other and the mini-map overlaps them. 

Learning to drive that way is a good way to keep yourself focused on the whole battle. Not looking up, expecting congrats after you kill a enemy BB in a duel and seeing your team down to 4 ships while the enemy still has 10. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
25 minutes ago, bigsnit said:

A CV can bring you that, whether it does or not is a different question. I will do it though. It's just a matter of the team readjusting to fight them or steaming towards nothingness.

Edited by Vangm94

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles

Any suggestions for combating tunnel vision....when I have a bad game it is usually when I lose focus and find myself overextended and I am getting focused on by four or five ships.

[STW-A]
[STW-A]
Beta Testers
113 posts
12,469 battles

belthorian most players tunnel vision. best way to fix that is having with ts or something like with players yelling at you.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
4 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Any suggestions for combating tunnel vision....when I have a bad game it is usually when I lose focus and find myself overextended and I am getting focused on by four or five ships.

What I try to do is, whenever I'm thinking of changing targets, is look at the mini-map and see if I need to begin repositioning as well. I also try to do that if my current target I just being chipped away at, although I am more susceptible to tunnel vision in those cases. Fortunately, people seem to not like being on the receiving end of sustained fire, so it doesn't happen too much.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,345 battles
2 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Often in battle, things go side ways as your health pool slowly (or rapidly) decreases and you find yourself around more enemy ships than allied ones.

You have poor situational awareness if you find your self inexplicably in such a position in the first place.  Sooo you should work on your situational awareness so that you don't over-extend in the first place.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
789 posts
5,786 battles
43 minutes ago, cometguy said:

What I try to do is, whenever I'm thinking of changing targets, is look at the mini-map and see if I need to begin repositioning as well. I also try to do that if my current target I just being chipped away at, although I am more susceptible to tunnel vision in those cases. Fortunately, people seem to not like being on the receiving end of sustained fire, so it doesn't happen too much.

Excellent advice, a warship's strength is not only the firepower it carries but its ability to remain mobile and make it harder for the enemy fleet to try to hit it. Changing speed, course, and angle makes it harder for the other team to train their shots on you.

Also, I look over at the mini-map whenever possible to make sure there aren't any surprises on the map and to get an overall picture of where my vessel is in relation to other allied vessels and any spotted enemy ships. Scanning the mini-map frequently also helps you devise an escape route if things get too hot. 

#anchorsaweigh

dark.png

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,523 battles

Situational awareness is a very vague term. Here's a partial breakdown that might help people think about it a little better:

1. Awareness of physical surroundings. How many friendly and enemy ships are nearby? Which ones are you safely angled against? What lines of fire are open? Which are blocked? Is there incoming fire? From what angle? Which pieces of cover are accessible?
  2. Awareness of the flow of battle. Who is winning in different parts of the map? How many points remain before the game ends? Is there a push going on? Does there need to be one?
  3. Awareness of the unknowns. What do you not have information on right now? If you round that island, how many ships might you find yourself staring down? Could there be unspotted torpedoes on their way to you? Where could their battleship have repositioned to?
  4. Awareness of one's (and others') options. Can your ship bow tank your opponent's shells? Can he bow tank yours? Can you shoot over that island? Does your opponent still have a loaded torpedo launcher, or did he fire all of them? Can you reach the cap circle in time or do you need a kill to keep the game from ending?

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,467 battles
18 hours ago, Belthorian said:

Get out of gun view and look around after every shot or in this case salvo.