You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

USS New York would be perfect if it weren't for this one thing

33 comments in this topic

Members
363 posts
2,175 battles

Its armor is too weak. Oh well it's not too weak, but overall I'd say it's not Germanic level tough. If New York has turtle back boy it's going to steal every show it's ever been to.

Too bad game balancing is a thing.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,674 battles

It can have turtle backs all it wants, but it's not gonna save her thou.

Everywhere on the New York, except on the waterline belt and secondary barbette is 19mm...Yup. 

That means every battleship gun, from Graf See to Yamato, can basically ignores angling. As long as a shell touches these areas at any angle it's pretty much an automatic penetration. Also...19mm doesn't help much against light cruisers' 6' high explosive spam either...

With a turtle back you no longer eat citadels, but you can still gets pummeled for 10k at all angles at all ranges by any battleship, while being on fire, panicking, wiggling and dodging, at a staggering maximum speed of 21kts...

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,241 posts
3,086 battles

I find it rather rare to citadel a New York or Texas. The issue is that they have great armour around their citadels, but weak armour everywhere else. It's a design scheme that was popular in US doctrine for some time, an all-or-nothing armour system made to protect only the most critical parts of the ship. This is reflected in game, since WG likes to use historical designs for armour in the game. It's one of the areas where they are willing to compromise based on historical arguments.

Because of this, a lot of the USN battleships up till NC tend to eat normal penetrations like nobody else. They take a whole bunch of damage from it, and there's not really anything to be done about it.  

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,675 posts
7,574 battles
7 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

I find it rather rare to citadel a New York or Texas. The issue is that they have great armour around their citadels, but weak armour everywhere else. It's a design scheme that was popular in US doctrine for some time, an all-or-nothing armour system made to protect only the most critical parts of the ship. This is reflected in game, since WG likes to use historical designs for armour in the game. It's one of the areas where they are willing to compromise based on historical arguments.

Because of this, a lot of the USN battleships up till NC tend to eat normal penetrations like nobody else. They take a whole bunch of damage from it, and there's not really anything to be done about it.  

The all or nothing armor scheme started on the Nevada class which was the success to the New York. 

[SF-3]
Members
1,452 posts
7,934 battles

the horrible speed? horrible armor? horrible reload? horrible dispersion? Not saying its a bad ship, but it could be better for sure.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,241 posts
3,086 battles
38 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

The all or nothing armor scheme started on the Nevada class which was the success to the New York. 

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware. 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,229 posts
6,433 battles

Did the New York class feature turtlebacks? No? Too bad...

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,260 posts
5,679 battles
2 hours ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

LOL Now I have to go home and consult the American Battleship bible. US Battleships an illustrated design history by Norman Freedman. Not that I am disputing your claim, just that It is something I did not know.

Beta Testers
79 posts
2,349 battles

The biggest issue is that those stupid peacetime lifeboats block it's center turret's angles (look at Texas for how it should be).  This means that the New York shows way too much broadside when trying to bring all it's guns to bear.  This is also an issue on the Wyoming.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,055 battles
2 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Its armor is too weak. Oh well it's not too weak, but overall I'd say it's not Germanic level tough. If New York has turtle back boy it's going to steal every show it's ever been to.

What killed New York and Texas is the ammunition room extends far into the bow and aft. So shooting AP into the bow will citadel the ship. Dropping shells from a high arc on the bow will also punch right into the citadel below. Good thing to know if you play Texas a lot and duels your opposites.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
3 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

crappy AA.  I drive my Texas when I get the urge to drive my New York.

Beta Testers
1,179 posts
5,976 battles
2 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

the horrible speed? horrible armor? horrible reload? horrible dispersion? Not saying its a bad ship, but it could be better for sure.

That is precisely why it's a horrible ship, actually.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

It's Tier V, most ships are bad either way. Kongo is probably still one of the best because of her high speed and range.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
4 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I take it you haven't really looked closely at the Wyoming, New Mexico nor the Colorado with regards to the speed or reloads? There is some degree of variation with regards to dispersion from T4 to T7, however this is made up through distance IE being closer to the battle...

The New York and well, the USN lower Tiers aren't bad ships at all, they just have their own niche/flavor. Just like the rest of the lines.

[ICOP]
Members
813 posts
3,175 battles

New York/Texas sure they are slower than maple syrup in January, cannot hit the side of a barn, got to wait for Sunday for the reload, but o man they can turn no other, great torp avoidance thar provided your paying attention.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,522 posts
7,578 battles
5 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

It has nothing to do with game balance. She never had a turtleback.

[SF-3]
Members
1,452 posts
7,934 battles
1 hour ago, BURN_Miner said:

I take it you haven't really looked closely at the Wyoming, New Mexico nor the Colorado with regards to the speed or reloads? There is some degree of variation with regards to dispersion from T4 to T7, however this is made up through distance IE being closer to the battle...

The New York and well, the USN lower Tiers aren't bad ships at all, they just have their own niche/flavor. Just like the rest of the lines.

Its been a while since I played Wyoming and Colo, but I have played Texas and NM recently. Didn't say they were bad ships, just worse then their contemporaries.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,891 battles

The thing is, we have 4 BBs at T5 with 5x2 turret setup (Konig, NY, Iron Duke, Bretagne), and only NY has 34s reload, all the rest have 30s reload. Why? It was reasonable when it was just the NY and Kongo, and NY has more guns, so it gets worse reload. But with the introduction of the other BB lines, the 34s reload is just too un-competitive. It is more than 10% worse than the other BBs with same gun setup. At least buff it to 31-32, if not 30, if to compensate for the fact that NY has larger caliber guns. 

[XBRTC]
Members
1,204 posts
7,195 battles
4 hours ago, Belthorian said:

LOL Now I have to go home and consult the American Battleship bible. US Battleships an illustrated design history by Norman Freedman. Not that I am disputing your claim, just that It is something I did not know.

He's right. NEVADA was the first to get the all-or-nothing that typified the Standard-type BB's for the USN. NY and TX were good... for their day.

[SYN]
Members
4,532 posts
11,434 battles
7 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Too bad a turtleback scheme wasn't a thing on the real New York.

Muddy the facts then cry about balance.  Wow.

Edited by Kuckoo

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,493 posts
10,211 battles
6 hours ago, RivertheRoyal said:

I find it rather rare to citadel a New York or Texas. 

Really? Wow. I find them one of the easiest BB's to citadel and even dev strike. I like them both as well and have them both. Just don't find either overly tough.They give up cit's like a slot machine LOL. 

20hJs5B.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

New York is a Damage Sponge that really doesn't sponge too much damage.  The guns are fine, but everything else about her is very bad.

Poor armor plating.

Poor citadel protection.

Poor secondaries.

Poor speed.

Poor AA.

[DRACS]
Members
3,374 posts

I think people seem to greatly under estimate the guns on New York and Texas, though. I agree the ship is slow and has miserable secondaries, but her five 14 inch guns are *very* punchy for her tier, probably the best broadside at tier 10. Whenever I play Texas, I see people actually give me broadside and thinking me a non threat. And then I dev strike. Every time.

Also, remember that USN BBs get Artillery Plotting Room 1, and with it equipped, these guns have a range 19km which is really quite good at tier 5. Only Kongo is longer and Kongo's broadside is way less punchy.

I personally haven't touched New York in years, but I have Texas, play her once in a while, and do well with her. My last game, a tier 7 match no less, got me around 95k damage and 3 kills. She can handle herself when needed.

[-BMV-]
Members
189 posts
13,306 battles

Oh i want to answer this, can i?, can i?... ok here we go

6 hours ago, Belthorian said:

The All or nothing armor scheme is a type of armor that belongs to the Standard Type Battleships, begining with Nevada an ending with Colorado, as well as the Royal Navy Nelson class and if i remember correctly the King George V class too to some extent.

The main characteristics of the Standards are their Gun Armament layout (two forward, two aft), speed (21 kts), range and turning radius (don't remember any other). New York is at best a Super Dreadnought.

To the OP, no, historically New York did had this weak armor, and it did had flaws, in fact, it is very well represented in game.

Edited by Sidelock