You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Standard Battle Increased Rotation?

13 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,097 posts
8,970 battles

Just an observation over the past week or so, but it seems that the rotation rate of Standard Battle Mode games has increased significantly since the last update.  This could just be a coincidence on my end, but I've had at least a 70% standard battle take rate as of late (no scientific backing of that number :Smile_hiding:).  

So is it just me seeing this, and it perhaps being a fluke (since I highly dislike this objective-lacking battle type) or is anyone else seeing a difference in the appearance of Standard Battle modes of late?

Members
996 posts
5,744 battles
55 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Just an observation over the past week or so, but it seems that the rotation rate of Standard Battle Mode games has increased significantly since the last update.  This could just be a coincidence on my end, but I've had at least a 70% standard battle take rate as of late (no scientific backing of that number :Smile_hiding:).  

So is it just me seeing this, and it perhaps being a fluke (since I highly dislike this objective-lacking battle type) or is anyone else seeing a difference in the appearance of Standard Battle modes of late?

I'm seeing it a little more. I don't dislike the mode. (Heck, I even like epicenter battles.).

What does bother me about it, is that with only one cap to take, and the successful taking thereof but once ends the battle, I would think that the limited capturing opportunities in this battle mode (and to a less severe extent in epicenter as well) reduce XP-earning potential.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

I hadn't noticed it being more common, but I'll also admit that I haven't really paid attention.

Regardless, I like Standard mode, because I like the more free flowing movement opportunities.  However, what I've noticed is an increase in teams camping on or in a decent proximity of their base and doing nothing but playing defense, which to me is rather boring.  I'd like to see teams being more offensive minded in Standard battles and not just sitting back.  

The problem with sitting back to me is that it punishes more offensively minded players.  You have 2 teams.  Say that both are playing defense, but one team has more offensively minded players than the other.  Unless perhaps you're in a stealthy DD looking to torp the enemy, moving forward is just a way to get focus fired to death.  And not only do you get sunk, but your team loses a ship.  And the team with fewer aggressive players ends up with the advantage.  So there's no upside to playing more aggressively on teams that just want to play defensively because not only do you get sunk but you probably increase the chances of your team losing.

There really needs to be a way to encourage teams to be more aggressive in Standard battles.  But sadly, while I'm usually pretty good at coming up with ideas, I'm drawing a blank on this one at the moment.  :cap_hmm:

Members
3,415 posts
6,082 battles

I have been on maps where I have not seen Standard mode for a looong time, if ever.  Fine with me - I like standard mode just fine.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Standard Battles free's the movement of ships. { area denials is less effective } You don't know for certain where the enemy is going or coming from.

I really miss the "Encounter Mode"

Members
288 posts
4,331 battles
9 hours ago, Crucis said:

There really needs to be a way to encourage teams to be more aggressive in Standard battles.

How about a negative-running points counter?  If you don't sink enemy ships to make it go up, you will end up down at 0.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,019 posts
2,203 battles
11 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

it seems that the rotation rate of Standard Battle Mode games has increased significantly since the last update.

IME it has indeed.

Not entirely sure that's a bad thing...

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
3 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Standard Battles free's the movement of ships. { area denials is less effective } You don't know for certain where the enemy is going or coming from.

I really miss the "Encounter Mode"

Ditto, CLUCH.  Ditto!

I've often suggested that the devs should bring back Encounter mode, but with a mild twist.  Instead of putting the single cap directly between the 2 teams, they should put it off to the side of the 2 teams' spawns, basically forming a triangle between the 2 spawns and the encounter cap.  Think of Hotspot.  Spawn the teams in the NW and SW (just like on the CWs Hotspot map) and then have a cap over where "C" cap usually is.  The teams then have the choice to either head directly at the enemy team or head over to the cap.  

Not every map is laid out in a way that would allow this to work, but some are.  Heck, for that matter, they could take the CB's map layouts and use them for variety, though sadly, the devs seem decidedly unwilling to use maps layouts from Ranked or CBs for random battles maps.  I want to see that new map from the last tier 6 Ranked season turned into a Random battles map.

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
2 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

How about a negative-running points counter?  If you don't sink enemy ships to make it go up, you will end up down at 0.

Mono, there might be something to this.  It's probably too barebones as is, but the idea feels like if it was properly developed, it might be the core of something interesting.  Good suggestion.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
3 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

I love standard battles. Gives DDs much more freedom. 

This is exactly why I love Standard Battles, at least when teams aren't totally campy.  I love the freedom to move around the map without 3-4 predetermined map locations that you have to fight over.  Furthermore, those caps also become places where you can't pass through unnoticed (unless your team already owns them).  Passing through a neutral or enemy owned cap instantly alerts the enemy to your presence there.  Now, I suppose if you're truly there to take the cap, that's fine.  But if you're really looking to pass through the cap to ambush a nearby enemy ship, it alerts that enemy to your presence, which is annoying as heck.