You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Dev Blog - ST. Massachusetts changes

169 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles

ST. American battleship Massachusetts, tier VIII.

Base firing range of secondary armaments is increased from 5.0 to 7.5 km.

Repair Party consumable's cooldown is decreased: 60 instead of 120 seconds for standard equipment and 40 seconds instead of 80 for premium.

Damage Control Party active time and cooldown are also tweaked: active for 30 seconds instead of 20, 180 seconds cooldown instead of 120 for standard equipment. 120 seconds cooldown instead of 80 for premium.

Sigma value is decreased from 1.9 to 1.7.

These changes increase the close combat priority for the battleship as well as her overall effectiveness, taking her gameplay further away from Alabama.

E7EDEDBC-9E8C-46E8-B144-CFA1AE2164A2.jpeg

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles

With these changes, WG seems to be moving her into the direction of a tanking/brawling machine. Which would give her a different flavor/feel to Bama.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,324 battles

Looks like a typical US BB. Having a choice between the Alabama and this. I will take this.

• Funny 1

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,973 posts
5,679 battles

1.7 sigma plus USN dispersion at tier 8 combined with the velocity of the SHS out of the 16”/45.

But it’s okay because the useless secondaries with their horrifically nerfed rate of fire got a Range buff, when they already couldn’t hit anything at their current max range. Also have some shorter consumable cooldowns, lol.

Jesus Christ, this is some low quality stuff. Nobody wants to buy a downgraded version of a current premium with a stupid gimmick tossed in (Secondary focused AMERICAN Battleship, seriously what are you smoking WG).

Can I just have an Alabama clone instead? Thats preferable to these asinine forced gimmicks. Absolutely pathetic.

• Cool 9
  • Bad 6

[SPTR]
Members
3,454 posts
5,649 battles

The problem is that no matter how you tamper the stats, you can't make a pure brawler out of Massachusetts. 

Despite the base secondary range buff, USN secondaries still suck balls with a slow rate of fire, poor fire chance, and no HE penetration bonuses.

No matter how you force the ship to be effective by lowering its dispersion, this is still an short AB-X battleship with a vulnerable hull cheek when angled and no turtlebacks to save her from citadels.

It cannot compete against the Amagi, Bismarck and Tirpitz in brawling, it will lose in a normal shootout against almost everyone else, this is most definitely a work in progress.

Yet it's still interesting where WG is taking it. I'll be speculating Massachusetts' development with great interest. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,324 battles
4 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

1.7 sigma plus USN dispersion at tier 8 combined with the velocity of the SHS out of the 16”/45.

But it’s okay because the useless secondaries with their horrifically nerfed rate of fire got a Range buff, when they already couldn’t hit anything at their current max range. Also have some shorter consumable cooldowns, lol.

Jesus Christ, this is some low quality stuff. Nobody wants to buy a downgraded version of a current premium with a stupid gimmick tossed in (Secondary focused AMERICAN Battleship, seriously what are you smoking WG).

Can I just have an Alabama clone instead? Thats preferable to these asinine forced gimmicks. Absolutely pathetic.

You are such a downer dude... Wrecking the vibe ... The VVVIIIBBEEE i say :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,077 posts
8,720 battles

Any idea if Hydro will also be added to USS Massachusetts? She will need it if Wargaming intends for her to brawl, especially with Asashio getting added in the near future...

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,973 posts
5,679 battles
3 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

You are such a downer dude... Wrecking the vibe ... The VVVIIIBBEEE i say :cap_haloween:

The vibe for an absolutely contradictory premium with gimmicks that make even less sense than normal, that ends up just being a worse version of the current premium which sacrifices the entire established high tier playstyle of the line in exchange for ACTUALLY USELESS secondaries.

Yeah, nah. The vibe was already ruined.

• Funny 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,324 battles
Just now, Big_Spud said:

The vibe for an absolutely contradictory premium with gimmicks that make even less sense than normal, that ends up just being a worse version of the current premium which sacrifices the entire established high tier playstyle of the line in exchange for ACTUALLY USELESS secondaries.

Yeah, nah. The vibe was already ruined.

I was trying to channel Oddball :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
455 posts
13,146 battles

I'm curious if they intend to sell Massachusetts or she'll be a reward/free experience ship. She's still just another Alabama, even though these changes will alter the play style somewhat. I wont purchase her as I already have Alabama, but I'm more interested in Massachusetts now. I just cant bring myself to pay probably over $100 combined for ships so very similar. I know some will, and that is fine, but I'm guessing those guys will be huge fans or historical collectors.

[SPTR]
Members
3,454 posts
5,649 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Any idea if Hydro will also be added to USS Massachusetts? She will need it if Wargaming intends for her to brawl, especially with Asashio getting added in the near future...

I see no wrong with giving the Massachusetts a hydro, even a gimped version of Missouri radar. It makes historical sense since Massachusetts shot French destroyers through smoke screens directed by radar during operations in Casablanca, and it will give the Massachusetts something unique among tier 8 battleships.

• Cool 3

[RKLES]
Members
7,077 posts
8,720 battles
1 minute ago, The_first_harbinger said:

I see no wrong with giving the Massachusetts a hydro, even a gimped version of Missouri radar. It makes historical sense since Massachusetts shot French destroyers through smoke screens directed by radar during operations in Casablanca, and it will give the Massachusetts something unique among tier 8 battleships.

Yeah and Hydro while being quite practical in use does not usually draw the same hate from playerbase as the Radar.

Also If Secondary Gun Range is getting buffed wonder if that will mean AA as well?

[SPTR]
Members
3,454 posts
5,649 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah and Hydro while being quite practical in use does not usually draw the same hate from playerbase as the Radar.

Also If Secondary Gun Range is getting buffed wonder if that will mean AA as well?

I doubt it. We don't see 11km AA range on our Bismarcks and Tirpitz lol.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,973 posts
5,679 battles

There is no historical precedent for this if you’re trying to use Casablanca. None of the damage she dealt that day was with her secondary battery, quite literally all of it was from her main guns at quite long range. The gimmick makes no sense from a gameplay OR historical precedent.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,312 posts
10,101 battles
19 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

ST. American battleship Massachusetts, tier VIII.

Base firing range of secondary armaments is increased from 5.0 to 7.5 km.

Sigma value is decreased from 1.9 to 1.7.

1. A US BB with some real secondary gun range. YES PLEASE! That is Bismarck/Tirpitz stock range there. With a secondary build (SBM2/BFT/AFT) that gives a range of 10.8km which can be pushed to 11.3km w/ the flag. With a secondary build as above, and if the guns are the same as NC and Bama use, it would be a 5.4 sec reload, 5% fire chance, and 1800 damage. The only issue with that is both NC and Bama only have 10X2 127MM for secondary guns whereas the Germans and French all have more secondary guns. Will the 5 double gun mounts per side be enough to make use of such a build? Very interesting possibilities here.
  2. That is some bad sigma there. That is like German BB/Fuso levels of inaccurate guns. This won't be a long range US BB sniper for sure.

This will definitely make the Massachusetts a unique and different US BB. Bring it on my wallet is ready...

r5bsXiL.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
671 posts
2,201 battles

They'd better give the 5"/38 dual mounts their burst firing rates instead of their currently gimped rates or this is going to be a joke.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,312 posts
10,101 battles
19 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

I like that idea. Adding Radar like MO or hydro along with the secondary buffs would make it interesting. One thing is for sure if they are trying to make it a brawler where you push up they need to use the improved armor and the 50% TDR that Bama has and not use the NC hull.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,275 posts
3,653 battles

While I get the whole "lets make Massachussetts" a brawler logic, I don't think this will be that good of a premium. Secondary fire is very much RNG dependent, plus with the increasing amounts of HE slung around it is a very real possibility that your one defining feature could be easily removed. I think they made the mistake of making a ship too similar to the Alabama and now are looking for gimmicks to differentiate it and market it, since Alabama has already proven itself. My opinion? Maybe introduce it as the first T8 free XP premium.

P.S I hope they do something with "first word and the last"  when it comes to camo or special flag, or even an emblem, as a homage to the Massa shooting the first and last 16in USN shells of the war.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
604 posts
3,311 battles

I have every US Premium BB in the game so far. Looks like this one will not be on my "shut up and take my money list" the 1.7 sigma AND the fact they are trying to make this thing a brawler is not what I had in mind for this ship.

Much rather see a Bama clone than this garbage

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,312 posts
10,101 battles
4 minutes ago, SCygnus said:

They'd better give the 5"/38 dual mounts their burst firing rates instead of their currently gimped rates or this is going to be a joke.

Maybe instead of using the MK32 38's they could use the  MK41 54's from Montana.

That would drop reload to 3.6 sec and up fire chance to 9%

:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
1,938 posts
6,542 battles

The more interesting part is the repair party cooldown of 40 seconds and damage control duration of 30 seconds. With the 40% damage control module, you could nearly run two repair parties while your damage control was active.

I'm not sure if this will compensate for the crappy sigma or not though.

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,708 battles

Hi

Ok there are lot smarter guys than me here that know about USN BBs but as far as I'm concerned this ship makes no sense there trying to create USN brawler to do what exactly.

In less than week possible they will be releasing the ONE TRICK PONY to unleash hell on all BBs, brawlers and snipers alike, if this is there plan for this ship it seems to me that its redundant before it even hits the water so to speak.

No sensible USN player will take the risk of trying to brawl in this ship I doubt many KMS players will either except for the very brave and or elite players.

How is WG going to successfully market this kind of ship to sell with IJN Asashio prowling the seas.

Again I would like to acknowledge that there is far more enlightened forums members than me so maybe they might have the answer.

regards     

Edited by tm63au

[WOLF5]
Members
1,481 posts
2,042 battles

I don't need a less accurate (OK, OK, precise) Alabama, which is basically a less accurate NC. Even if the secondaries and and DC, DR are better. The secondaries aren't as good as the Germans, neither is the armor. The heal and DC are only going to help so much. Keep the sigma where it is, and increase the ROF on the secondaries and I''ll consider it. But they're still 5" compared to the 6" on the Bismark.

Beta Testers
604 posts
3,311 battles

down vote me all you want. the Sigma alone on the Mass is a huge turn off to start.

So the Mass will be able to reach out with her secondaries, Great but with crappy RoF the build would be pointless (bismark range, crappy RoF)

Heals are nice but with a limit to 4 base with the premium consumable not worth it. Its not a zombie heal

Again 1.7 sigma at T8 is garbage to say the least. Thats German BB line sigma. There are reasons why the GK is not used in clan wars and the bismark not really making a showing in ranked. the NC and bama are just far better and hit harder.

• Cool 2