You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Wargaming growing lack of quality

83 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles

Anyone else feel Wargaming Sever and game code quality has been sliding downward since December of 2017? It is not just 1 player that will go AFK, but instead multiple of them, then add in the lagging players, late loading players, mid game crashes. Graphics bugs as well as the rest of the bugs. Wargaming has great ideas and can implement them quite well, but I often have had growing questions of a Russian tech team and servers are really best ones to be running the game.

Did have an idea that might help Wargaming out a little, if they tried to get a full Mac version into Apple Store, Apple would check the game and inform Wargaming of any fixes they needed to perform in order to meet the quality standards Apple holds for anything that enters their App Store. And such info could benefit the PC users as well maybe. 

• Cool 10

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
6 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Anyone else feel Wargaming Sever and game code quality has been sliding downward since December of 2017? It is not just 1 player that will go AFK, but instead multiple of them, then add in the lagging players, late loading players, mid game crashes. Graphics bugs as well as the rest of the bugs. Wargaming has great ideas and can implement them quite well, but I often have had growing questions of a Russian tech team and servers are really best ones to be running the game.

Did have an idea that might help Wargaming out a little, if they tried to get a full Mac version into Apple Store, Apple would check the game and inform Wargaming of any fixes they needed to perform in order to meet the quality standards Apple holds for anything that enters their App Store. And such info could benefit the PC users as well maybe. 

I've noticed a very large lack of quality in a lot of the recent patches. The menu and UI lag has gotten especially worse though lately, to the point its actually becoming painful to play the game (its starting to give me headaches)

I really think WG needs to drop the content patches and start doing a few massive bug fix patches instead, and focus on over-all game stability and quality. After all, you cant enjoy new ships if you're lagging and crashing every few minutes...

I mean really, this game has worse performance than some early alpha games sometimes... :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Kitsunelegend

[HYDRO]
Members
1,342 posts
3,669 battles

Truth is a fix patch would be very welcome. But as of now it seems every other patch new lines are added to keep the people grinding. I would appreciate if during the summer, a period without that much activity, there was a big patch addressing as many bugs as possible. If it was very likely that many issues would be solved, I don't think anyone would mind one day of the servers being down.

Edited by warheart1992

[ASHIP]
Members
586 posts
5,223 battles

I crash every 5-6 battles I play.

It's usually near the beginning of matches, or while loading in/out of battles. Sometimes I also crash while zooming in or going to the map screen. The crashes used to be very similar, but these days the symptoms have changed and become more diverse, making me think that it might be multiple different bugs crashing my game at different times. Most just require me to restart the game, but some actually screw with my whole computer, requiring me to shut the whole thing down. These bugs used to be extremely rare 5-6 months ago, but now they're so commonplace that I've just sorta accepted them. I tried fixing it for a while; did a bit of googling, messed around with the wrapper, deleted and reinstalled the entire game, but nothing worked. I guess the crashes just give me an excuse to shut off the game.

Edited by senseNOTmade

Members
1,780 posts
5,642 battles

Makes no sense to me I have not had any lag, disconnected, or crashes for over a year now. I do not think its there servers, 

Members
3,415 posts
6,084 battles

I have very, very, very few issues even with an ancient video card - a bunch of problems I would bet are caused by people with older cards who do not turn down the graphics settings. BTW - AFK has nothing to do with the code - AFK by its definition are people who load in but then leave.  If they have been disconnected then they have been DC'd and are not AFK.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts

They have a game plan, somewhere, which dictates what they do, the order they do it and most likely they won't/don't vary much. You do recall the award of three days premium time for the game's performance, yes? If you watched the video explanation they produced, you may have noticed something. Old IT players know it as Systemantics. 

If they have not read it I encourage their entire organization to step away from their keyboards for a day or two, read it and understand what they are facing. Why? 

The game is a system. It will grow so large, so complex that no one person will know what the system is actually doing or how it is doing it. Need proof? Look at the "unexpected impacts" of minor tweaks to the game mechanics. Or just refer back to the graphics issue behind the three day reward. 

As systems grow, so does their complexity. They will be altered to do things they were never intended to do which will of course, have impacts upon the system no one expected, totally unwanted, undesirable consequences, seemingly coming from left field. The more fingers you have in the code, the more likely the final object will fail to do what was intended and do things totally unexpected. 

There are reasons things are done in a particular way, using a particular method. Every single time a "step is not taken" or "a corner is cut" bam! You're gonna get an outcome mostly unexpected. I have to say in the past, certain bugs that were hammered out of the system seemed to reappear exactly as they were before. 

Made you wonder if there was a certain person or team who grabbed old source code instead of the newest source code, thereby bringing the bug back. Or perhaps there was a person or team that insisted on doing something a certain way - so when the code came around again they said, "what?! we thought we changed that code but now it's back the way it was... well, let's fix it back to the way we had it", not knowing of course someone higher up the chain had dropped in and removed/adjusted their prior code because it was borking things up. 

Communications even in today's software dev cycle is surely lacking. So... if they do not have "world-class source and project controls in place" to achieve any type of above average quality control, now is the time to implement it. 

Thing is... once that snowball starts rolling downhill, it's pretty tough to stop it let alone alter it's course. This type of stuff must be in-place, day one and considered (for the most part) sacred, as in, no matter how boring or repetitious, It Must Be Done.

<kicks soapbox to the corner of the room> 

"Is it worth it to them to spend all the resources required to implement world-class standards? Probably not, as that's the normal human response. We'll see in the months to come, no doubt.  

Edited by Herr_Reitz
speling
  • Cool 4

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles
22 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

Makes no sense to me I have not had any lag, disconnected, or crashes for over a year now. I do not think its there servers, 

That is the funny thing about servers is they do not have to always be 100% fully functional or 100% down, they can be any percentage in between.

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles
20 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I have very, very, very few issues even with an ancient video card - a bunch of problems I would bet are caused by people with older cards who do not turn down the graphics settings. BTW - AFK has nothing to do with the code - AFK by its definition are people who load in but then leave.  If they have been disconnected then they have been DC'd and are not AFK.

Honestly hard to tell one from the other in battle since you can get disconnected or walk away at any point in the battle. Hence the reason disconnected users get called AFK mistakenly, but it is much easier to simpy call them AFK as well it seems.

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

Mine has been stable for a few months now, other than a couple of recent times when I got the crash error dialog. Was back in about a minute. Rarely happens,.

[ICOP]
Members
813 posts
3,175 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Honestly hard to tell one from the other in battle since you can get disconnected or walk away at any point in the battle. Hence the reason disconnected users get called AFK mistakenly, but it is much easier to simpy call them AFK as well it seems.

True, however if you are near them, gun position is the tell tale sign, if rotated = AFK, neutral (start) position = D/C.

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles
9 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

True, however if you are near them, gun position is the tell tale sign, if rotated = AFK, neutral (start) position = D/C.

Unless game loaded for moment and then crashed which I think would freeze guns in their last position?

Members
332 posts
3,394 battles

I've not seen the DC problem lately, but I do see more "jumps" and "stutters" where the game seems to get out of sync in the recent patches.  It doesn't seem to be related to how many people show as playing the game at any given time.  Packet loss maybe?

[EQRN]
Members
312 posts
8,672 battles

I used to restart the client *every* single battle or I would crash, and I could be pretty stable for that one battle, but that was a terrible workaround.  Turns out when I built my PC I unintentionally got 64bit processor.  I just got an SSD drive to upgrade to 64 bit Win 10, and wow, night and day difference (I had 3G ram, now 9G, I know sounds weird, but this Asus board has 3 channel Dimm slots).  Anyhoo, if you are able to upgrade to 64 bit Windows and more ram, definitely look into it.  The SSD drive was nice, but I don’t think helped with stability specifically.  

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
15 minutes ago, 1dennistt said:

I've not seen the DC problem lately, but I do see more "jumps" and "stutters" where the game seems to get out of sync in the recent patches.  It doesn't seem to be related to how many people show as playing the game at any given time.  Packet loss maybe?

Probably. I see a fair amount of disconnects too but not crashes.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

No crashes for me, but the new division UI in port sucks hard. 

Gimme the old one back.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[PEN]
Members
67 posts
7,161 battles

Played last night for the first time in a couple of weeks.  My game dropped to 9-12FPS after about my 6th game.  After it was over, the game was so hung it wouldn't close on my pc and I had to reboot.  Came back to a whoppin' 23FPS. I usually get 40FPS.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

I don’t experience any issues whatsoever, no lag, no bugs, no crashes.  Running game on new gaming PC with everything maxed out.  Before the new PC I was running game with lowest settings possible on an old laptop, and it was extremely stable and bug free (only as long as I did not try to increase any of the settings - hence new PC).  I remember this game crashing a couple of times in all the thousand games I played, and it was only during loading.  Restarting the game would get me into game a minute late, it would not affect game outcome.  This has not happened at all in the last few months.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
290 posts
9,617 battles

I too have been having substantial lag and disconnects for the last two weeks. I believed it was due to my computer and the various updaters popping in at the worst possible time to say howdy but it only started recently. I have no issues while playing other online games, just this one. Interesting that I'm not the only one experiencing the issue. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,816 posts

I haven't had a crash in forever.  My "system issues" were limited to the occasional screen jump once in a while.  I can't remember seeing one of those in a little bit.

Of course, I'm running on shiny new, maxed out hardware.

It could just be that the game is overloading older systems that were previously capable of running it.  The slowdown of the game is what prompted me to buy a new computer.

[SYN]
Members
511 posts
5,971 battles
1 hour ago, Junostorm said:

I crashed yesterday, and when I logged back in, I was aground on the island north of C on the "old" layout in North. The battle was so far along that I was able only to prolong it, and help keep it from turning into a ROFLstomp. I think we lost on points with about an equal number of survivors separated by two caps. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles

Really not sure why Wargaming is not taking no more time to fix bugs and stability issues instead of putting out increasing amounts of content? Hope it is not because they do not know how to fix the growing numbers of bugs and instead are seeing how much money they can make before things totally fall apart for them...

Been hearing / experiencing occasional issues ever since December, although yesterday was one of the worse days of it. Lol The new penalty system could be another headache if it decides to activate over even say a late loading game or something. I like playing each day, but may have to take leave of absence until Wargaming does some repair work since last thing I need is a potentially flawed penalty system running wild in currently flawed game code.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
376 posts
8,264 battles

To everyone saying their connection is great and there is no problem: what about your team?

How many matches had disconnected players that had an issue?

Just because you don't have a problem doesn't make it go away. 

• Bad 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,681 posts
7,503 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I’ve certainly had my game crashes in the past some my fault some was Wows changing things up but seems to be working good now

bottom line here this is a Russian game run from Russia,I doubt they’ll be handing any power over to Apple