You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
J30_Reinhardt

Capping rewards question

19 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,367 posts
3,646 battles

So it's been a solid stretch since I played and I just noticed that I solo-capped 2 out of 3 flags and am like... 4th from the bottom on this match in a DD.

What gives?

[SPTR]
Members
20,095 posts
5,153 battles

From what I know, caps are a multiplier. You need to do good damage to get the rewards you are expecting. 

A bit dumb, but understandable. Any DD can camp cap and cap cap.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

Best i have figured so far is capping is good for about 2-300 xp.

Damage can help, but spotting, and potential damage are also great things in a dd.

It is truly hard to pin these numbers down, but you also could have had the top 3 people do really well in damage, kills, planes, etc.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,782 posts
14,856 battles
14 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

Any DD can camp cap and cap cap.

You have got to be kidding ...

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

This DD driver is training a Submarine Driver, I  spend most of my DD battles on the bottom of the caps.

• Funny 2

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,367 posts
3,646 battles

Interesting... so there was no adjustment once they took out OWSF?

[WOLFB]
Members
1,662 posts
8,047 battles

Capping and spotting will only gives you enough credit to repair your ship ...If you managed to caps several time alone. I spent lot of time capping in my Yuugumo and not being able to deal any damage because the ennemi team decided to run away. We won it's cool, but CA had enough time to deal damage and earn good reward, BB as well. As a DD my caps gave me crap reward and I don't think spotting damage is valued enougj so I ended up bottom. Not the last because I did something but still in the bottom of my team.

WG really needs to give more reward to capping and spotting for DD and make damage dealt "optional". 

[SPTR]
Members
20,095 posts
5,153 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

You have got to be kidding ...

Not every DD, but you get what I mean. It's easy to just sit behind the island and cap after they have ran. 

[VFW]
Members
904 posts
20,702 battles

To the OP, yes seems that Capping is not as rewarded as it once was but still, Capping wins games and capping is the single most risky game move.   Any DD worth their salt fights to cap.   Hopefully the Cruisers and BBs try to help in that endeavor.

For the player "khaenn35" , as for islands to hide behind, sure some maps allow this but most don't.   Also, if you have an sit behind an island to cap, odds are there is an opponent doing the same.   From his 2 post here, he seems to not value playing the objective.

In this game, sometimes playing for the objective and for the team does not yield the points/leaderboard awards, but it does increase the odds of winning.  For a team oriented game, rewards are slightly bent toward kinda selfish, damage dealing only game play.

But with that said...PLAY the OBJECTIVE.

vr, 

[SPTR]
Members
20,095 posts
5,153 battles
1 minute ago, TexJapan said:

To the OP, yes seems that Capping is not as rewarded as it once was but still, Capping wins games and capping is the single most risky game move.   Any DD worth their salt fights to cap.   Hopefully the Cruisers and BBs try to help in that endeavor.

For the player "khaenn35" , as for islands to hide behind, sure some maps allow this but most don't.   Also, if you have an sit behind an island to cap, odds are there is an opponent doing the same.   From his 2 post here, he seems to not value playing the objective.

In this game, sometimes playing for the objective and for the team does not yield the points/leaderboard awards, but it does increase the odds of winning.  For a team oriented game, rewards are slightly bent toward kinda selfish, damage dealing only game play.

But with that said...PLAY the OBJECTIVE.

vr, 

I completely agree with you. However, some DDs can hang back and simply not provide any help at all, leaving their teams to get rid of ships and capping to gain the High XP rewards while their friends get sodded. It's not hard to cap at times when your entire team's getting hit while you just still with them doing nothing. 

It might be better it is "part-multiplier", that there be a base XP contribution per cap of 500XP and a 1.25-1.5x XP boost (or smaller than what is currently given) to whatever XP is given for the rest. However, including this makes the XP system get tilted, so that's a thing. 

Also, while this might not be a great solution, I find that knowing that capping is a multiplier makes it great for getting high scores in co-op. What was once a 70k game which would have got me 400 or so XP gets me 700 with a full cap. Applies also for games in which you are about to win. 

Which means that capping is now exploitable in a way.

[VFW]
Members
904 posts
20,702 battles
1 minute ago, khaenn35 said:

I completely agree with you. However, some DDs can hang back and simply not provide any help at all, leaving their teams to get rid of ships and capping to gain the High XP rewards while their friends get sodded. It's not hard to cap at times when your entire team's getting hit while you just still with them doing nothing. 

It might be better it is "part-multiplier", that there be a base XP contribution per cap of 500XP and a 1.25-1.5x XP boost (or smaller than what is currently given) to whatever XP is given for the rest. However, including this makes the XP system get tilted, so that's a thing. 

Also, while this might not be a great solution, I find that knowing that capping is a multiplier makes it great for getting high scores in co-op. What was once a 70k game which would have got me 400 or so XP gets me 700 with a full cap. Applies also for games in which you are about to win. 

Which means that capping is now exploitable in a way.

Khaenn35,

In a game, I would rather a DD cap and do nothing more, than a DD that swings wide and tries to deal damage.  This is specially true when I play CAs, BBs, or CVs....capping wins games.  When a DDs fights for the caps, I try to help.

As for Coop mode, capping means nothing in that game mode.   All the bots care about is "Kill All Humans", and capping yields little to nothing in Coop.

For my two cents, I would have no objection to capping be exploitable in random play if that means that it get more players to play the objective.

vr,

[NOOBS]
Members
79 posts
2,283 battles

No one "really" knows, its one of those things Wargaming keeps secret.   Everything you see about how XP and Credits are awarded is pure opinion.  Do you get credit for caps, yes.  Does it seem to link as a multiplier?  its anyones guess and everyones guess has merit.

[SPTR]
Members
20,095 posts
5,153 battles
16 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

Khaenn35,

In a game, I would rather a DD cap and do nothing more, than a DD that swings wide and tries to deal damage.  This is specially true when I play CAs, BBs, or CVs....capping wins games.  When a DDs fights for the caps, I try to help.

As for Coop mode, capping means nothing in that game mode.   All the bots care about is "Kill All Humans", and capping yields little to nothing in Coop.

For my two cents, I would have no objection to capping be exploitable in random play if that means that it get more players to play the objective.

vr,

I'm not the one who makes the game, mate. Ask WG. I agree with you, but the potential for caps to be easily exploited is there. I know how you feel, I've played the Fletcher as support and got less with 2 caps and a ton of smoke support than one with Torps and a single cap.

I do have some proof on this, as I play the Leander fairly often in Co-op. The difference is very noticeable if you get a high amount of damage before capping. If I remember (and very possibly not, I'm exhausted and drifting through depression), I'll try and fetch samples for you. 

Technically that's the same as "doing damage to gain XP", but that direct scenario opens up the possibility that DDs passively play the objective and not do other kinds of support just for the chance to cap. Imagine the DD who first goes in, and other waits for that DD to get out before capping again. There's no incentive to defend much (other than winning) when you have so much XP from capping. Again, scenarios vary, but you understand that there are possible implications to making it so direct.

[-AVA-]
Members
136 posts
7,198 battles
38 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

You could not be more wrong in this statement, at least in higher tier matches. I have a couple replays in the last two days alone that would convincingly give lie to that statement.

Everything else you have said I would completely agree with, particularly the capping wins games part.

[VFW]
Members
904 posts
20,702 battles
4 minutes ago, syd_ said:

You could not be more wrong in this statement, at least in higher tier matches. I have a couple replays in the last two days alone that would convincingly give lie to that statement.

Everything else you have said I would completely agree with, particularly the capping wins games part.

Syd, 

Coop is a low XP event.   Most games in Coop last Avg 8 mins and capping means little in Coop (not even talking about random...not that you did, just stating).

Coop for me is for very specific purposes (knock out a mission quickly usually or work on gunner skills).

But back to the topic....Capping is the key to winning, but sometimes yield disappointing game scores.

Vr,

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

Well, cant be sure about anything, but for some reason I have this feeling that capping in domination gives a flat amount of xp, then the points your team gets because of your cap apply bonuses to your xp gain. Just a thought I had for a while. :Smile_hiding:

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,478 battles
44 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

I'm not the one who makes the game, mate. Ask WG. I agree with you, but the potential for caps to be easily exploited is there. I know how you feel, I've played the Fletcher as support and got less with 2 caps and a ton of smoke support than one with Torps and a single cap.

I do have some proof on this, as I play the Leander fairly often in Co-op. The difference is very noticeable if you get a high amount of damage before capping. If I remember (and very possibly not, I'm exhausted and drifting through depression), I'll try and fetch samples for you. 

Technically that's the same as "doing damage to gain XP", but that direct scenario opens up the possibility that DDs passively play the objective and not do other kinds of support just for the chance to cap. Imagine the DD who first goes in, and other waits for that DD to get out before capping again. There's no incentive to defend much (other than winning) when you have so much XP from capping. Again, scenarios vary, but you understand that there are possible implications to making it so direct.

In bold----- The key to untold riches. :Smile_great:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,719 posts
11,332 battles
6 hours ago, khaenn35 said:

From what I know, caps are a multiplier. You need to do good damage to get the rewards you are expecting. 

I have never heard that, do you have a source?