You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
c3shooter

Premium store payment

39 comments in this topic

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

So i had finally decided to spend some money on the game, but because i am very cautious with my credit and debit cards, i opted to head down to my local walmart and buy WG gift cards...

Unbeknownst to me, the gift cards cannot be combined to make a purchase larger than the sum of each card, and they seem to be only useful for doubloons/premium time/silver.

Since the only thing i dislike more than using my cc for online purchases is returning stuff to walmart, coming soon i will arrange some sort of a contest to reward a lucky forum player...

On to my question.

If i go to the store and purchase a single large denomination gift card with a visa or mc logo (these are limited to US purchases) and tie that to my paypal account, will i then be able to use that card, through paypal to purchase a say $50ish ship in the store. Without any further complication?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,535 battles

I linked a CC via PayPal for all payments. This has worked for me with no issue for many a purchase. 

Refunds when required was even better as you had transaction dates 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I don't see why it wouldn't, PayPal is an American company, but then I'm no expert on these things. I would definitely double-check the fine print on their site or even call up their support line to double check. Best to be sure beforehand.

[PVE]
Members
5,310 posts
17,747 battles
2 minutes ago, _greifer said:

I linked a CC via PayPal for all payments. This has worked for me with no issue for many a purchase. 

Refunds when required was even better as you had transaction dates 

This is what I did as well. Figured with PayPal protection plus what protections I have with my CC, it is all good. IMHO this is the easiest "safe" option although I do like the idea of prepaid gift cards as well.

Members
280 posts
9,269 battles

See if you card company offers "virtual account numbers". It will generate a one time use only number that you can safely use online. If they dont, get another card that does & use it exclusively for online purchases.  I have used it for years & havent had any issues with card theft. My other card I use for travel expenses has been hacked 3 freakin' times!

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Can confirm @bigalow87's suggestion and say that I know American Express provides that service to some. I work at a hotel and all of our online travel agents (aka: OTAs, aka: Expedia and their puppets) recently switched over to that system. Works like a charm.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
14 minutes ago, bigalow87 said:

See if you card company offers "virtual account numbers". It will generate a one time use only number that you can safely use online. If they dont, get another card that does & use it exclusively for online purchases.  I have used it for years & havent had any issues with card theft. My other card I use for travel expenses has been hacked 3 freakin' times!

Actually, I spent some time working for one of the big credit card companies in the US.  Your best bet is to use a credit card, skip the Paypal, and just make sure you have your card linked to your phone so you can say yea or nay to international transactions.   You are actually better protected by law than you are by Paypal.  

Paypal is handy to protect your bank account or debit card in the same situation, but it's not better than an actual credit card's protections in the US. 

Having said all this, I've not had one problem with credit card transactions with WG, as long as you keep in mind that these are international transactions via Nicosia Cyprus, and you may have to make sure the issuing bank knows they're legit.  That's also why other cards can be such a pain with WG.  International.

(To be clear, for WG transactions, I use Discover or Chase, both are linked to the phone so that international transactions pop up in text immediately.  Never had a 'bad' or 'wrong' transaction from WG.  I have had US companies try to pull stuff, though.)

Edited by mavfin87

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
10 minutes ago, bigalow87 said:

Actually, 90% of card compromises I've had over the years were 'human' intervention, i.e. a waiter/waitress at a restaurant or similar steals the card details and tries to use it later online.  I've only had a couple compromises other than that, and those were 'big company hacked' type deals where the bank replaced my card pre-emptively.

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles

I have never given WG my credit card info for the $2000+ spent on their website. I have always bought subway or cvs gift cards to make all my purchases and has worked good for me. I guess they didn't allow to buy bundles back then but now they allow all purchases to be done with the gift cards. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
38 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

If i go to the store and purchase a single large denomination gift card with a visa or mc logo (these are limited to US purchases) and tie that to my paypal account, will i then be able to use that card, through paypal to purchase a say $50ish ship in the store. Without any further complication?

Don't know if you can 'mask' that purchase via Paypal or not.  Gift cards that don't allow international can be very problematic for WG/WT transactions.  All goes through Nicosia.

[WPP]
Members
451 posts
5,081 battles
12 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

I have never given WG my credit card info for the $2000+ spent on their website. I have always bought subway or cvs gift cards to make all my purchases and has worked good for me. I guess they didn't allow to buy bundles back then but now they allow all purchases to be done with the gift cards. 

That’s so expensive though.  PayPal doesn’t cost anything and WG doesnt get your info.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
12 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Actually, 90% of card compromises I've had over the years were 'human' intervention, i.e. a waiter/waitress at a restaurant or similar steals the card details and tries to use it later online.  I've only had a couple compromises other than that, and those were 'big company hacked' type deals where the bank replaced my card pre-emptively.

Ive never had an issue at a location because i very rarely use my cards, i buy gift cards to use for dining and stores, because i get extra rewards for buying them at my grocery store. I use cash almost everywhere else.

My debit has been shut off (fraud suspicion) i cant say how many times by chase for online shopping. The added little screw you is they dont tell me they closed it. Nor will they send the new one until i call....Thats when i stopped using it at stores and restaurants.

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles
15 minutes ago, galspanic said:

That’s so expensive though.  PayPal doesn’t cost anything and WG doesnt get your info.

Purchasing gift cards on cashstar doesn't cost anything extra either. Even for store purchases there is no need of any premium. When ebay gift card purchases (other than ebay gift cards) were eligible for ebay bucks it was more cheaper. Also sometime ebay gift cards were sold at a discount which could be used to purchase other gift cards. Gone are those days :(

Edited by sansfaille

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
1 hour ago, bigalow87 said:

I love this by the way. I will absolutely look into that. Maybe not for this transaction, but for the next one with WG, or in other cases for sure.

Members
280 posts
9,269 battles
2 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

I love this by the way. I will absolutely look into that. Maybe not for this transaction, but for the next one with WG, or in other cases for sure.

Glad to have been of help to you. I just used mine to order a bidet seat for my mother...

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

Lol.

Its not that i distrust wargaming persay...if there was a problem with transactions, im sure i would have seen it in forum.

But so much of my personal information already is in the hands of the russians (service record) and chinese (complete medical record including my dna sequence), google, and worldwide hackers (it seems everyone knows more about me than i do) i hate to leave anything to chance.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, c3shooter said:

So i had finally decided to spend some money on the game, but because i am very cautious with my credit and debit cards, i opted to head down to my local walmart and buy WG gift cards...

Unbeknownst to me, the gift cards cannot be combined to make a purchase larger than the sum of each card, and they seem to be only useful for doubloons/premium time/silver.

Since the only thing i dislike more than using my cc for online purchases is returning stuff to walmart, coming soon i will arrange some sort of a contest to reward a lucky forum player...

On to my question.

Go to a subway store and buy a gift card  from them any amount you need. The premium shop has a list of gift cards they accept at the purchase tab.

Subway , Dollar General, CVS...... the list goes on

EIXClLM.png

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,326 posts
3,646 battles

I put a stop payment on EvE Online before because they didnt remove me from their recurring charges, and it was $100/year that I was on and had cancelled.

Account at the time went negative and of course got overcharges, and they waived em.

But the American Airlines credit union is decent with that kinda crap.

I also ordered a $300 katana from australia once and they froze my account until I confirmed that it actually was me making the purchase.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,403 battles
3 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

I also ordered a $300 katana from australia once and they froze my account until I confirmed that it actually was me making the purchase.

Why ? Cheaper ?

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,326 posts
3,646 battles
13 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Why ? Cheaper ?

More reputable than direct from communist country.

• Funny 1

[NOOBS]
Members
79 posts
2,283 battles

its 2018 dude,  the clerk at Walmart can steal your data faster than WG can lose it to hackers.   

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,326 posts
3,646 battles
11 minutes ago, OnABoat said:

its 2018 dude,  the clerk at Walmart can steal your data faster than WG can lose it to hackers.   

Or they can just hack Target, or whatever store. Or even a bank. Whichever. Nothing's secure anymore.

Just ask Zuckerberg lol

[WOLF6]
Members
300 posts
4,331 battles
6 hours ago, c3shooter said:

On to my question.

Just go to the same Wal-Mart and pickup the American Express Bluebird debit card , there are no fees and you can load the card at any cashier in Wal-Mart . Put only what you need on it and spend it the same day , no worries that way .

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
32 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

Just go to the same Wal-Mart and pickup the American Express Bluebird debit card , there are no fees and you can load the card at any cashier in Wal-Mart . Put only what you need on it and spend it the same day , no worries that way .

That works internationally?

[WOLF6]
Members
300 posts
4,331 battles
24 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

That works internationally?

Yup , as long as they accept American Express you're good .