Sign in to follow this  
awesomeartichokes

If AFK punishment is going to be a thing....

19 comments in this topic

Members
236 posts
10,049 battles

... does this mean that WG promises that I will be able to load in less than 2 minutes instead of the 7-9 minutes it seems to take?

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles

Yeah the times when game assigns you to a battle then decides to be unstable and not properly load the battle is very annoying.

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester
4,085 posts
4,098 battles

I presume the game can tell the difference between not loading and loading but not doing anything

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
11 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

I presume the game can tell the difference between not loading and loading but not doing anything

Nope, both give AFK penalties.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles
1 hour ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

No, it cannot, as I have read at least three threads where someone was either thrown out of a match or failed to load in and got penalized.

• Bad 1

Members
236 posts
10,049 battles
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

No, it cannot, as I have read at least three threads where someone was either thrown out of a match or failed to load in and got penalized.

Any link to those threads

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Imho there are so few afk that I don’t understand why they took the time to develop something like this. Besides in those rare cases I doubt they are afk on purpose, except for that one guy that gets an anger attack because he got uptiered.

Would rather have seen some improved MM. So many steamrolls lately.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles
7 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

Any link to those threads

The search function is your friend ... I'm not.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,337 posts
3,646 battles

If I had to hazard a guess it's to slam the door shut on CV's that do intentionally sit out due to MM, and also bots.

With regards to bots it'd be very simple for them to start weeding them out with this method and start handing out permabans.

Might suck in the short-term for some but I reckon it's going to be of benefit to everyone in the long run.

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles
23 minutes ago, Umikami said:

If this ^ is true I expect WOWs section of Wargaming to be bankrupt and shut down due to loss of players.

So many of us have an occasional late loading match or game crash. Wargaming techs and dev team are just not up to the task of making 100% stable game or server.

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If this ^ is true I expect WOWs section of Wargaming to be bankrupt and shut down due to loss of players.

So many of us have an occasional late loading match or game crash. Wargaming techs and dev team are just not up to the task of making 100% stable game or server.

that, or they'll get rid of anyone trying to run too high of graphics on a spud, or using a shoddy connection, and the rest of the population will be so happy that they spend more money on a more enjoyable game without people sitting in the spawn for half the match. :cap_look:

just playing devil's advocate. i don't really have an opinion on it yet. :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
1,828 posts
12,269 battles
8 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

If I had to hazard a guess it's to slam the door shut on CV's that do intentionally sit out due to MM, and also bots.

With regards to bots it'd be very simple for them to start weeding them out with this method and start handing out permabans.

Might suck in the short-term for some but I reckon it's going to be of benefit to everyone in the long run.

Bots dont sit afk, they move. I recently saw one that sailed around the map edge the entire match turning its turrets slightly left to right and constantly spouting “negative” and never fired a shot.

There is no problem with afk. There is a problem with the game dropping players and not allowing players to connect. This new punishment system will only do harm to real players and at the best catch a very small minority of cheaters.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,337 posts
3,646 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

Bots dont sit afk, they move. I recently saw one that sailed around the map edge the entire match turning its turrets slightly left to right and constantly spouting “negative” and never fired a shot.

There is no problem with afk. There is a problem with the game dropping players and not allowing players to connect. This new punishment system will only do harm to real players and at the best catch a very small minority of cheaters.

Not the bots I'm used to seeing on either here or tanks that sit stationary until shot at or damaged. You sure you didnt just have a 6 year old playing the game?

[VW]
Members
1,828 posts
12,269 battles
10 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Not the bots I'm used to seeing on either here or tanks that sit stationary until shot at or damaged. You sure you didnt just have a 6 year old playing the game?

No. And youre just refering to typical high tier gameplay.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,337 posts
3,646 battles
18 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

No. And youre just refering to typical high tier gameplay.

Not from what my eyeballs tell me, and no I ain't referring to high tiers. Look at my average tier stats bro.

[VW]
Members
1,828 posts
12,269 battles
12 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Not from what my eyeballs tell me, and no I ain't referring to high tiers. Look at my average tier stats bro.

How can you differentiate between people sitting still until being detected, people getting disconnected and finally being able to load in right as the enemy finds them, and bots behaving the same way? The answer is you cant and as such people getting disconnected, which is a much more frequent occurrence than bots, will be unfairly punished.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,337 posts
3,646 battles
6 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

How can you differentiate between people sitting still until being detected, people getting disconnected and finally being able to load in right as the enemy finds them, and bots behaving the same way? The answer is you cant and as such people getting disconnected, which is a much more frequent occurrence than bots, will be unfairly punished.

One shoots only when being hit after being afk for 10+ minutes or however long it takes them to be found.. and yet still never moves. Or chats(grid spam and quick messages notwithstanding but actual chat).

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles
6 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Yeah being punished unjustly will be the problem, I have gotten loaded into battle up to 10 minutes late before and still did about 100k damage enemy team as well as a few kills. Usually only end up about 2 minutes late if the game has a problem though. And the instability bug is not all the time either and actually just seems to mainly be  Okinawa and Tears of the Desert maps. 

Members
81 posts
On 4/17/2018 at 2:43 AM, MidnightShamalan said:

that, or they'll get rid of anyone trying to run too high of graphics on a spud, or using a shoddy connection, and the rest of the population will be so happy that they spend more money on a more enjoyable game without people sitting in the spawn for half the match. :cap_look:

just playing devil's advocate. i don't really have an opinion on it yet. :fish_book:

Some people have advocated 'punishing' players with inadequate equipment for a long time; WoW is just institutionalizing that wish.

Sign in to follow this