You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

Captain Training Through The Lines

20 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles

I was curious how long it would take to grind out a 19 point captain and this is some info that people might find interesting.

Captain points based on tiers

Spoiler

Assuming: Staring with 1 Point Captain at tier 2, retraining 50% each time, researching each module, no captain signals, and no FreeXP. This means if you grind a line, it doesn't matter if you use premium or XP boosts, you will have a 15 point captain at tier 9. If you add in captain XP boosts and playing during bonus captain XP time, it will happen sooner.

Tier

3 4
4 6
5 8
6 9
7 11
8 13
9 15
10 +++

Captain points based on games

Spoiler

Assuming: Base XP is 1000. This was to simplify results. Please note that your XP will be higher or lower based on skill and the ship you choose. Some are better than others and some you play better than others. Tier X will usually net more XP than tier 8. Prinz Eugen is in the list just because it was the individual ship I was looking at. 

Signals are the Equal Speed Charlie London (+50% XP) and Zulu Hotel (+50% Commander XP) because they are ones that most people have in large numbers. 

1-10 Points

No Prem No Signals No Prem + Signals Prem + Signals
Tier X with Perma 92 61 41
Prinz Eugen 92 61 41
Tier 8 with Perma 122 73 49
Tier 8 w/o Perma 183 92 61

10-15 Points

Tier X with Perma 278 185 123
Prinz Eugen 278 185 123
Tier 8 with Perma 370 222 148
Tier 8 w/o Perma 555 278 185

15-19 Points

Tier X with Perma 485 323 216
Prinz Eugen 485 323 216
Tier 8 with Perma 647 388 259
Tier 8 w/o Perma 970 485 323

From 1-19 Point Totals

Tier X with Perma 854 569 380
Prinz Eugen 854 569 380
Tier 8 with Perma 1139 683 455
Tier 8 w/o Perma 1708 854 569

Feel free to ask about any combination of signals, camo, or whatever else you can think of. There are simply too many for me to post them all. 

One last fun bit....

Spoiler

On NA, the Yamato has an average XP of 1,662. If you were able to equip Asian Lantern Camo, Equal Speed Charlie London, Zulu Hotel, Dragon, Red Dragon, Hydra, and the Military Month Contributor with a premium account, you would be able to gain +405% XP and +1193% Commander XP. This means in 40 games, you have enough Elite Commander XP for a new 19 point captain from 0 points.

• Cool 3

[TF16B]
Members
8,034 posts
16,968 battles
2 hours ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

On NA, the Yamato has an average XP of 1,662. If you were able to equip Asian Lantern Camo, Equal Speed Charlie London, Zulu Hotel, Dragon, Red Dragon, Hydra, and the Military Month Contributor with a premium account, you would be able to gain +405% XP and +1193% Commander XP. This means in 40 games, you have enough Elite Commander XP for a new 19 point captain from 0 points.

This also presumes someone chooses to play tier 10 ships, (which I don't.)

An interesting mathematical exercise nonetheless, +1.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Lines up pretty well with what I've observed, so I can attest to accuracy here. I've got a 15 point captain on my Roon right now, started at 14 but I attribute that to starting with a new 3 point captain on the Yorck and using ALL the XP Free XP and CXP boost flags to get the Hipper.

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,176 battles

I have a little over 1700 random battles logged* and I'm only now 240k away from my first 19 point captain.  The strange thing is it's on my Alsace.  That Hermes op really helped grind the commander xp.

*I'm not the norm obviously.  As long as I've had my account I should have more games played, but I stress too easily about doing a poor job.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,886 battles
7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This also presumes someone chooses to play tier 10 ships, (which I don't.)

OP was obviously using examples from their own gameplay, which is fair enough, but a very good player can accomplish these results even with lower-tier ships. Adjusting to your own results is in your hands.

It's nice to see these things put in context, even if the figures don't automatically relate immediately to one's own experience.

My big problem with 19 point captain grinding is that events recently (Normandie camo, cat captain, Varyag) and the need to blow off stress from work have given me lots of excuses to play in co-op. And while my Fiji thrives there, it's not the fastest-earning mode in history and I don't have obscene amounts of camo & flags to throw at it (though the public test server should help with that in future). Then again, that's no-one's problem but mine. :Smile_teethhappy:

[4HIM]
Members
1,699 posts
3,861 battles
3 hours ago, Amenhir said:

I have a little over 1700 random battles logged* and I'm only now 240k away from my first 19 point captain.  The strange thing is it's on my Alsace.  That Hermes op really helped grind the commander xp.

Wow. I have about the same number of battles but nowhere near a 19 point captain. Close to 12 on one. Then again, I'm a major potato. 

Members
17,685 posts
5,084 battles
4 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Wow. I have about the same number of battles but nowhere near a 19 point captain. Close to 12 on one. Then again, I'm a major potato. 

Just depends how you play. I didn't get my first one until over 4k games.

But I play a lot of different ships. The line I have the 19-pt captain in, I have about 550 games, including some extra games I played in keepers after moving up the line.

That was with a free account until I got Roon, then premium after that. Hit 19 points about 15-20 games into Hindenburg.

I've basically flagged and camoed the crap out of it, and a decent win nets me (at my skill level) 15-20k commander XP.

The key IMO is having 19-pointers on ships you enjoy playing. My next captain (17 points) was on FdG, but I don't like it or play it much, so I put him back on Bismarck, where he'll see a lot more action. All my elite XP will go to him, until he also hits 19.

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles
11 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Just depends how you play. I didn't get my first one until over 4k games.

But I play a lot of different ships. The line I have the 19-pt captain in, I have about 550 games, including some extra games I played in keepers after moving up the line.

That was with a free account until I got Roon, then premium after that. Hit 19 points about 15-20 games into Hindenburg.

I've basically flagged and camoed the crap out of it, and a decent win nets me (at my skill level) 15-20k commander XP.

The key IMO is having 19-pointers on ships you enjoy playing. My next captain (17 points) was on FdG, but I don't like it or play it much, so I put him back on Bismarck, where he'll see a lot more action. All my elite XP will go to him, until he also hits 19.

The domino effect of getting multiple 19 pointers is what really starts to accelerate your overall training efforts!

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Play good, play hard, and you will eventually get it.

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles
3 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

The domino effect of getting multiple 19 pointers is what really starts to accelerate your overall training efforts!

Yep.

I was near 3,000 battles before I got my first 19-point captain, but I was grinding all lines.  I got my second 19-point captain shortly after obtaining my first Tier 10 ship.  I focused Elite Commander XP on a single captain to achieve the third in preparation for Ranked.

Two of the three will get played heavily which will lead to faster accumulation of Elite Commander XP that I can use to accelerate all of my captain training.  I have a few captains that could get another skill with a little help, and I am doing this in the run-up to the next Ranked season.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles

The first 19 points captain is the hardest, but can be made much easier if you get lucky and saved up a bunch of exp flags (assuming you are playing totally free).

After the first 19 points captain, you can earn elite commander exp. The exp can be used in training captain competency between ships. Pay the 500k train the captain to 50%, then fill the rest with elite commander exp. 

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OP was obviously using examples from their own gameplay, which is fair enough, but a very good player can accomplish these results even with lower-tier ships. Adjusting to your own results is in your hands.

It's nice to see these things put in context, even if the figures don't automatically relate immediately to one's own experience.

My big problem with 19 point captain grinding is that events recently (Normandie camo, cat captain, Varyag) and the need to blow off stress from work have given me lots of excuses to play in co-op. And while my Fiji thrives there, it's not the fastest-earning mode in history and I don't have obscene amounts of camo & flags to throw at it (though the public test server should help with that in future). Then again, that's no-one's problem but mine. :Smile_teethhappy:

No it’s not based on my gameplay. The XP based on tier is just the XP required to go from tier 2-10. The other chart is just based off 1000 base XP. I can change that if you want to see a difference. It was mainly to show how premium, flags, and the different camps can shorten the grind. Obviously you wouldn’t have the same XP in tier 8, tier 8 premium, and tier 10 but it shows the different number of games required if somehow you did. The tier 8 premium or perma camo will have a higher XP than the tier 8 with no camo or lower tiers while the tier 10 will usually have a higher XP than any ship based on the XP “scaling” at higher tiers.

Edit: Personal stats, the Alabama would take me 283 games 0-19 and Prinz Eugen 301 games 0-19. If you can Average over 2k XP in a tier 10 you can bring it under 200 games.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles

I enjoy rolling up those elite XP snowballs. With far more ships in my port than time to play I focus far more on making more 19 pts COs than leveling up more/new tech tree lines. 

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles

Can’t wait until I’m there. My problem is I have a lot of 10-14 point captains and one that is almost to 16. Takes a little while to get those last few points and I don’t feel like wasting money of a premium account when I can only play like an hour or two every now and then. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,886 battles
50 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

If you can Average over 2k XP in a tier 10 you can bring it under 200 games.

Are we talking base XP here?

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Are we talking base XP here?

Yeah sorry for not clarifying. 

[PVE]
Members
159 posts
4,944 battles

The "XP" listed on warships.today is base xp, unadjusted for premium/bonuses/flags/camo etc?

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles
1 hour ago, evanr1940 said:

The "XP" listed on warships.today is base xp, unadjusted for premium/bonuses/flags/camo etc?

Actually, it appears to include the premium +50% for those with premium at the time of the battle in question as the data from the Wargaming API returns this value.

It is before any other adjustments.

Members
17,685 posts
5,084 battles

Nvm

Edited by Skpstr

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles
5 hours ago, evanr1940 said:

WG API only provides the XP after premium is added. I assume premium is a base XP modifier before anything else is calculated. You double did on ship XP as well as Captain XP.