You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Really good noobs?

61 comments in this topic

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

I make it my habit, when I notice really good play from a teammate or the enemy, to give them a compliment ("Plays Well" or "Worthy Adversary") after the match.  I also hit Profile to see what their stats are.  Several times I've noticed that some of these players have very few (low 100's) games played and a winning percentage over 50%.

Are they just naturally gifted to be above average players?  I know I'm old and slow, but if I had been in a battle with T8 ships when I only had 100 games under my belt I would not have lasted 2 minutes.

[KP]
Members
2,015 posts
18,493 battles
2 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I make it my habit, when I notice really good play from a teammate or the enemy, to give them a compliment ("Plays Well" or "Worthy Adversary") after the match.  I also hit Profile to see what their stats are.  Several times I've noticed that some of these players have very few (low 100's) games played and a winning percentage over 50%.

Are they just naturally gifted to be above average players?  I know I'm old and slow, but if I had been in a battle with T8 ships when I only had 100 games under my belt I would not have lasted 2 minutes.

It's called a reroll account many people run a second account after they Git Gud because there are many stat shamers out there.

• Cool 1

[NBB]
Members
491 posts
2,316 battles

No. Those are restarts. They played for probably a few months, reached higher tiers, then started over with a new account to get rid of bad stats from their learning period. I would compliment more players, but we win before I know they were good and then I'm back in port. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

100 battles can simply be good luck

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

I feel like some accounts just get lucky. I was a 65%+ win-rater in WoT Blitz with a 52% because I started out an idiot, so I created a reroll...And I lost every game. Hop on WoWS for kicks (I had already played ), and all of the sudden I am amazing at BBs*. Dunno what it was, I was touched by RNGesus, but here I am today:Smile-_tongue:

With a lot of luck and some light reading (as well as experience with mmos and similar games), 50% for a noob is perfectly common and understandable

*disclaimer: Its not hard to be amazing in a Nassau. Now Im prolly slightly above average:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _1204_

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles
5 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

It's called a reroll account many people run a second account after they Git Gud because there are many stat shamers out there.

I suspected that might be what's going on.  So you give up all your ships, xp, captains, etc., so you can have better stats.  Interesting....

I'm keeping my ships, xp, captains, etc., along with my bad stats.  Especially since warships.today lets you search on recent history for a player.  Maybe WG should do the same.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,314 posts
9,414 battles

Could be re-rolls, maybe with steam accounts to benefit from whatever they get.

Could be a small sample size and their stats will bounce up and down quite a bit and you caught them on a good day.

Could be they did the research and understood the basics before playing. Not turning broadside to a battleship, because "That's a Paddling" goes a long way. Not every new player is a "Clueless Noob"

Lots of could be's, can't read much into it.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,420 posts
3,673 battles

I've never wanted to re-roll. Seems a chicken crapmove to me.

• Cool 3

[PNP]
Members
391 posts
2,844 battles
3 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

3 likely outcomes:

• The player is probably genuinely new and learned the mechanics of this game fairly quickly.
  • You are facing a reroll account hoping to boost their stats, or that's at least what they believe.
  • OR an intelligent AI program like Skynet trying to learn the game so it can conquer the virtual seas.

My bet is the 3rd outcome. I have my tinfoil hat, can you say the same?

[-TKS-]
Members
288 posts
5,608 battles

I find it strange that someone would check stats of a random person they saw in game. is that normal? report / compliment ok Soon as game ends like to get to the next battle cyberstalking seems weird to me.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,420 posts
3,673 battles
25 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

I find it strange that someone would check stats of a random person they saw in game. is that normal? report / compliment ok Soon as game ends like to get to the next battle cyberstalking seems weird to me.

Unless it's no longer part of Aslain's pack, there's a mod that shows certain stats in-game.

[INTEL]
Members
752 posts
7,944 battles
18 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

Sorry but I occasionally get curious about the exp/skill level of a player who does something spectacularly stupid in game. That's not stalking, its curiousity. Stalking would be if I were to check up on every post you make and point out the absurdity of your statements.

[VW]
Members
1,848 posts
12,293 battles

You also have people opening new accounts to get the rewards from the referrals. Once you know how to play you can get great stats in the low tiers.

• Cool 1

[NOOBS]
Members
79 posts
2,283 battles
8 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Very common, this is my opinion and I have no proof whatsoever, once you get a higher number of battles MM compensates and puts you against stronger players until you hit a losing streak, look at my recent win ratio?  You telling me after 1000 battles I forgot how to play?  Nope its MM putting me with weaker players.  In the last 10  losses I was in the top 3 everytime and top player 6 times.  So I am maybe a slightly better than an average player, who knows? could all be just coincidence but it does not feel like it.

Edited by OnABoat
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles
8 hours ago, IronMike11B4O said:

It's either a re-roll or an experienced player who's opening a second (or subsequent) account on another server. I have read that play-styles actually differ markedly between servers, and someone who's got all the Tier X ships, has ranked out #1 etc. etc., might want to dip their toes in new waters in order to refresh their love for the game (Flamu comes to mind).

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
8 hours ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Or it is someone who spent several months learning about the game before ever downloading it so he wouldn't make life miserable for everyone else because he played tanks on console and saw how knowledge is a big part of the game.

Just sayin' ... :cap_cool:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NOOBS]
Members
79 posts
2,283 battles
10 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

Or it is someone who spent several months learning about the game before ever downloading it so he wouldn't make life miserable for everyone else because he played tanks on console and saw how knowledge is a big part of the game.

Just sayin' ... :cap_cool:

Dr Evil said it best  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhht

Edited by OnABoat

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,887 posts
13,414 battles

The lower the number of games and the higher the performance/ranking the more likely it is a re-roll account.

Learning basic game mechanics takes time and very few can instantly pick up every nuance of play.

[INTEL]
Members
583 posts
7,363 battles
9 hours ago, 44_percenter said:

No. Those are restarts. They played for probably a few months, reached higher tiers, then started over with a new account to get rid of bad stats from their learning period. I would compliment more players, but we win before I know they were good and then I'm back in port. 

You can still compliment for a short period of time after you are back in port.  Go to the 'i' in the lower right, select the battle and go to the Team tab.  I don't know how long it's active but it's a pretty short time.

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
47 minutes ago, OnABoat said:

Dr Evil said it best  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhht

Except I have corroborating witnesses, such as @delp5117 and @BullpupWOT and @CaptainKaitoGhost and @RagingxMarmoset -- all of whom, like me, are/were World of Tanks console players. (My profile: https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/stats/players/2830768/)

So...yeah. Believe it or not, it's true (at least in my case).

:Smile_honoring:

[NVY]
Members
22 posts
4,325 battles
9 hours ago, 44_percenter said:

FYI you can always go back to the post battle stats by clicking on any of your previous battles in the bottom right notification area. Note only available for the duration of your current session, if you exit game and come back in notification/battle history reset.

Members
17,842 posts
5,096 battles
10 hours ago, X15 said:

100 battles can simply be good luck

Or just native ability. I've never really tried to "improve", and I've had 51-52% from day one.

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles
1 hour ago, MajorEnglush said:

Except I have corroborating witnesses, such as @delp5117 and @BullpupWOT and @CaptainKaitoGhost and @RagingxMarmoset -- all of whom, like me, are/were World of Tanks console players. (My profile: https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/stats/players/2830768/)

So...yeah. Believe it or not, it's true (at least in my case).

:Smile_honoring:

For some folks, WoWs is not the first Wargaming title that they have played.  I personally played nearly 10K games each in console tanks and PC tanks before I picked up ships.

When that's the case, more serious players will know about watching streamers, visiting the forums, and accessing other resources like the wiki before they just dive in and play.  It makes the learning curve less steep for those who put in some extra effort.  Some other stuff that transfers directly from tanks is basic knowledge of armor penetration mechanics (angling) and the biggest of all, situational awareness (using the minimap).

Therefore, some new WoWs players will be better than they were when they picked up the other WG titles and much better than the average new recruit - not always a re-roll.