You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

(Suggestion) Torpedo spotting on battleship catapult fighters/spotting aircraft

27 comments in this topic

Members
1,132 posts
3,141 battles

In the upcoming patch, torpedo detection by aircraft is being reduced by 50%. This applies to every aircraft in the game, as far as I know. Because of this change, a tool that battleships and cruisers have is effectively being nerfed, and with the Asashio and IJN DD buffs on the way this is a big deal. A smart battleship player uses their aircraft when pushing forward to help spot the torpedoes earlier so their push doesn't end up in the loss of their ship. The catapult fighter has already been nerfed (1:30 uptime instead of 6:00). I suggest that they should make one of the following changes to battleships that don't have access to hydroacoustic search:

1. Increase its uptime or reduce its cooldown

2. Increase its speed

3. Remove the torpedo spotting nerf in the upcoming patch

Without this valuable tool, many battleships (especially those without hydro) will be pushing blind. This will even further promote the camping playstyle that is hurting the game. Thanks for the read. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 2

[SALVO]
Members
16,660 posts
17,308 battles

The spotting of torpedoes by any planes should be completely removed.  Spotter planes and cat fighters don't exist to be torp spotters.  And frankly, the only reason that people take cat fighters rather than spotting planes (when they have a ship that doesn't really need the extra range) is so that they have a semblance of a torpedo early warning system.

I play BBs relatively often and use cat fighters to spot torps.  But I think that this ability should be removed from the game.  It's ridiculous that planes that are flying around at a few thousand feet in the air can even see a torp in the water (or its wake) when it's actually fairly difficult to spot ships from those altitudes, when IIRC planes really spotted ships by their wakes not the ships themselves.

• Cool 1

[DRG_N]
Members
412 posts
582 battles
40 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The spotting of torpedoes by any planes should be completely removed.  Spotter planes and cat fighters don't exist to be torp spotters.  And frankly, the only reason that people take cat fighters rather than spotting planes (when they have a ship that doesn't really need the extra range) is so that they have a semblance of a torpedo early warning system.

I play BBs relatively often and use cat fighters to spot torps.  But I think that this ability should be removed from the game.  It's ridiculous that planes that are flying around at a few thousand feet in the air can even see a torp in the water (or its wake) when it's actually fairly difficult to spot ships from those altitudes, when IIRC planes really spotted ships by their wakes not the ships themselves.

So it's all well and dandy if a DD gets to delete someone from total stealth with a surprise attack with their torpedoes, but if a BB does it with their guns, it's a problem. Got it.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
9 minutes ago, Highlord said:

So it's all well and dandy if a DD gets to delete someone from total stealth with a surprise attack with their torpedoes, but if a BB does it with their guns, it's a problem. Got it.

You're actually getting comical.  DDs die so easily, but you're so scared of them...

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,330 posts
3,669 battles

I'm a DD and CA main, so this actually makes my life easier. However I think that change is a bit heavy handed. They could increase a bit the uptime of the plane, but as a drawback have it move around the ship at a much slower speed. That way a DD would have to time its drop to avoid getting its torpedoes spotted but wouldn't have to worry that much about the plane doing fast circles around the BB and spotting them immediately.

• Cool 1

[DRG_N]
Members
412 posts
582 battles
2 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

You're actually getting comical.  DDs die so easily, but you're so scared of them...

Hardly. Just annoyed at the blatant dishonesty and flagrant double standards. But I am discussing the typical stealth class troll, I mean player. So I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Edited by Highlord
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
2 minutes ago, Highlord said:

Hardly. Just annoyed at the blatant dishonesty and flagrant double standards.

You mean the double standard where it's fine when you one-shot a cruiser with battleship guns, but DDs aren't allowed to put holes in your battleship, in your opinion?

Fair is fair.  If you can sink cruisers with one salvo, a DD should be able to damage you just fine as well.  Sorry if you don't think that's right.

Bitter much?

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DRG_N]
Members
412 posts
582 battles
1 minute ago, mavfin87 said:

You mean the double standard where it's fine when you one-shot a cruiser with battleship guns, but DDs aren't allowed to put holes in your battleship, in your opinion?

Fair is fair.  If you can sink cruisers with one salvo, a DD should be able to damage you just fine as well.  Sorry if you don't think that's right.

Bitter much?

Everyone else has to risk damage to take enemies down. What makes your magical attack ninja assassin boats special?  Every time a DD so much as takes a single shell you people come screeching on the forums about how it's unfair you got shot, or how someone saw your torpedoes.  Then you complain about battleship fire hitting you when you can quite literally see the shells coming from miles away and use your WASD hacks (see what I did there?) to dodge.

Double standard much?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
Just now, Highlord said:

Everyone else has to risk damage to take enemies down. What makes your magical attack ninja assassin boats special?  Every time a DD so much as takes a single shell you people come screeching on the forums about how it's unfair you got shot, or how someone saw your torpedoes.  Then you complain about battleship fire hitting you when you can quite literally see the shells coming from miles away and use your WASD hacks (see what I did there?) to dodge.

Double standard much?

Hey, DDs take damage...if you can't hit them, that's your problem.  I take damage in DDs, and I damage them when I can when I'm in a BB.  It works both ways.  

So, if you think it's a double standard, just keep thinking that way.  You didn't have much credibility anyway.  Unless you're a reroll, you have even less games than I do, and zero in DDs, so you're just talking out your [edited], anyway.

• Cool 1

Members
1,789 posts
17,406 battles
9 minutes ago, Highlord said:

Double standard much?

Switch to KM BBs...they are especially good at hunting down DDs (as long as you lose the trembling attitude that it's too much of a loss to eat a torp or 2 to take a DD down)...as long as you turn into the DDs last known position you can pretty much even eliminate taking a torp even...but when you run you set yourself up for taking multiple hits...& there's the balancing factor...if you are scared while running a BB you will get taken out easily every time...if you charge (especially right after torps pass you by...the torp reloads are so long you have plenty of time) DDs become just more fodder for your shells (not to mention a full life DD is worth the same exact XP as a same tiered full life BB).

As for "but what about his teammates"...if you don't have any of your own around you are already doing things wrong.

Members
901 posts
4,218 battles

In other words, "I cannot be bothered to use minimap or WASD hax, please give me back my crutch"

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,228 posts
3,126 battles

I have a slight hunch that the Vigilance may become even more popular choice for BB captain skill builds... I could be wrong. :Smile-_tongue:

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles

WG catered to BBs at the expense of the other classes.  BB overpopulation follows.  WG "fixes" the problem.

BBs are still being treated with kid gloves, they haven't been directly nerfed (yet).  If BBs were to get the DD treatment they'd get all the indirect nerfs you're seeing now, and get their guns nerfed hard.  If they were to get CVs treatment they'd get nerfs and their economic game rekt.  

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,042 battles
14 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I have a slight hunch that the Vigilance may become even more popular choice for BB captain skill builds... I could be wrong. :Smile-_tongue:

Nonsense.  Most people will be aghast if you recommend doing something on their build against a threat they constantly whine about.

You recommend Vigilance they'll complain about altering their build.

People complain about CV airstrikes all the time.

You recommend some AA Build if they hate planes that much, and people flip the f--k out that they have to do something different.

The problem is this.  People want strengths against something they didn't build for, didn't build against.

Members
901 posts
4,218 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Nonsense.  Most people will be aghast if you recommend doing something on their build against a threat they constantly whine about.

You recommend some AA Build if they hate planes that much, and people flip the f--k out that they have to do something different.

The problem is this.  People want strengths against something they didn't build for, didn't build against.

Wish I could build my IJN dds around countering planes and radar...

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,042 battles
2 minutes ago, Vaitmana said:

Wish I could build my IJN dds around countering planes and radar...

The IJN achilles' heel had always been their absolutely trash AA in World War II.  Surprise, surprise, that persists in WoWS.

As for Radar, it's simple.  Watch for where the Radar Cruisers are and don't be in range.  You don't even need to tweak your captain build, nor ship upgrades for that one.

Willing to answer more tactical questions if you want.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,228 posts
3,126 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I... suppose? I guess some people are like that... their issue, and not mine... plus, I'm not like that.

I'm just gonna wait for free captain respecc, so I can fit more of my captains with Vigilance. :Smile-_tongue:

I didn't really use the cat plane for spotting torps for much, because (1) the duration is too short on BB's, and (2) whenever some enemy torps actually head my way, my plane is always on the other side of my ship. Go figure... hooray for the Murphy's Law, lol. Yeah, I knew many people used it for such purpose, and I did too... but I feel like it'd be better for me to rely more on my good ol' captain skills, and my own vigilance (lol, pun?), to anticipate and prepare for incoming torps than to rely on a wee little plane... :Smile_teethhappy:

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

er, do you even know why they decide to introduce this "nerf"?

Members
901 posts
4,218 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The IJN achilles' heel had always been their absolutely trash AA in World War II.  Surprise, surprise, that persists in WoWS.

As for Radar, it's simple.  Watch for where the Radar Cruisers are and don't be in range.  You don't even need to tweak your captain build, nor ship upgrades for that one.

Willing to answer more tactical questions if you want.

I was semi-serious in my previous post, more a throwback to OP :Smile_teethhappy:

True about AA, but how come IJN dds strength, long range, good concealment torpdoes, is not strength at all in this game :cap_hmm:

Members
1,132 posts
3,141 battles
6 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

er, do you even know why they decide to introduce this "nerf"?

This was to help destroyers (mainly Japanese) from getting hard countered by carriers spotting their torpedoes way in advance, rendering them useless at times. 

Members
901 posts
4,218 battles
3 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

This was to help destroyers (mainly Japanese) from getting hard countered by carriers spotting their torpedoes way in advance, rendering them useless at times. 

Well that also applies to any other non carrier planes. Look at average torpedo hit rates, 3-4 hits per game per dd, not so scary as bbs make it out to be. BBs do not remember times where they were slowly killed by 1000 cuts for many games, but they remember that one game where they went from 100% to 0% in one successful torpedo attack.

Edited by Vaitmana

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,042 battles
3 minutes ago, Vaitmana said:

I was semi-serious in my previous post, more a throwback to OP :Smile_teethhappy:

True about AA, but how come IJN dds strength, long range, good concealment torpdoes, is not strength at all in this game :cap_hmm:

I get way to serious in my posts :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
901 posts
4,218 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I get way to serious in my posts :Smile_teethhappy:

But, I always appreciate serious posts :cap_like:

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
4 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I... suppose? I guess some people are like that... their issue, and not mine... plus, I'm not like that.

I'm just gonna wait for free captain respecc, so I can fit more of my captains with Vigilance. :Smile-_tongue:

I didn't really use the cat plane for spotting torps for much, because (1) the duration is too short on BB's, and (2) whenever some enemy torps actually head my way, my plane is always on the other side of my ship. Go figure... hooray for the Murphy's Law, lol. Yeah, I knew many people used it for such purpose, and I did too... but I feel like it'd be better for me to rely more on my good ol' captain skills, and my own vigilance (lol, pun?), to anticipate and prepare for incoming torps than to rely on a wee little plane... :Smile_teethhappy:

Vigilance would be a good choice from what I'm hearing.  I'd test it out on one ship just to be sure though.

I use to run it on my DDs in OB. Back then DDs were mainly DD on DD, and a smaller skills tree.  You didn't have to worry about losing half your health from a shot made at 16km+.

I miss that 1v1...

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,482 battles
8 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

In the upcoming patch, torpedo detection by aircraft is being reduced by 50%. This applies to every aircraft in the game, as far as I know. Because of this change, a tool that battleships and cruisers have is effectively being nerfed, and with the Asashio and IJN DD buffs on the way this is a big deal. A smart battleship player uses their aircraft when pushing forward to help spot the torpedoes earlier so their push doesn't end up in the loss of their ship. The catapult fighter has already been nerfed (1:30 uptime instead of 6:00). I suggest that they should make one of the following changes to battleships that don't have access to hydroacoustic search:

1. Increase its uptime or reduce its cooldown

2. Increase its speed

3. Remove the torpedo spotting nerf in the upcoming patch

Without this valuable tool, many battleships (especially those without hydro) will be pushing blind. This will even further promote the camping playstyle that is hurting the game. Thanks for the read. 

Learn to do without, It ain't that big of a deal.