Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

Does the in game karma system discourage new CV players?

108 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,350
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,544 posts
6,689 battles

I am writing this with concern, not for myself, but with respect to those who desire to play cvs, to the best of their ability, but feel bullied, harrassed, and worse, penalized by the Karma system for doing so. Some of you may remark that Karma means nothing, you would be right, for those of us who have a thick skin, and don't care about missing out on the discreet, but present, karma threshold rewards (supercontainers, premium game time).

a) Without abolishing the karma reward/compliment system, does any one have ideas for how newer cv players might be encouraged?

b) I for one do my best to compliment CV adversaries who I can see, are new to cvs, or are grinding up  the cv tech tree on their own sincere account, playing to the best of their efforts. Do other regular carrier addicts do the same?

Edited by DarthZeppelin
edited to encourage those who reply, to address the main questions.
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
501
[POP]
Members
1,156 posts
14,810 battles

I try to give advice to new players that are playing them when I am in game in another class of ship, not that I'm a good player of CV 's.

And if I'm playing a CV and see my opponent has played well ill give him a compliment in fact even when I'm in another class and both sides CV' s do well its a good idea we need more CV players in game.

CV's in this game are a must they bring  variety and for the non CV players it also brings a opportunity to enhance and further their skill level against this class of ship.

We should be encouraging more people to play them.

regards   

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,824
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

If your wondering about a Zero  gain from Karma remember Karma has Zero effect in game mechanics. {Only thing that might  be considered is more positive Karma = ability to award more Karma}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,544 posts
6,689 battles
Just now, CLUCH_CARGO said:

If your wondering about a Zero  gain from Karma remember Karma has Zero effect in game mechanics. {Only thing that might  be considered is more positive Karma = ability to award more Karma}

+Karma leads to in game rewards, such as supercontainers and premium time,. These rewards are automatically credited, but undocumented. So karma does influence game mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,456
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
5,817 posts
5,360 battles

since when did karma have anything to do with supercontainers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,824
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
3 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

+Karma leads to in game rewards, such as supercontainers and premium time,. These rewards are automatically credited, but undocumented. So karma does influence game mechanics.

Not true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,544 posts
6,689 battles
3 minutes ago, Tedster_ said:

since when did karma have anything to do with supercontainers?

purely my own observation on reaching speciifc karma thresholds.

But we both know that that is besides the point. The Karma system is being abused to bully/ostracize new and inexperienced cv players with abusive reporting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
443
[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,122 battles
4 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

+Karma leads to in game rewards, such as supercontainers and premium time,. These rewards are automatically credited, but undocumented. So karma does influence game mechanics.

Really? Because I have clanmates with a lot of karma, and they certainly haven't been getting more SC and premium time.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,504
[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,988 posts
5,724 battles

I’m pretty sure this game discourages CV players in general. All the ones I know have quit.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,456
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
5,817 posts
5,360 battles
2 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

purely my own observation on reaching speciifc karma thresholds.

My observations of Lord_Zath say that swimming in karma doesn't spam you with supercontainers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90
[NBB]
Members
493 posts
2,316 battles

Having tried cv's in the public test I did, I would say no. New cv players would be more discouraged by the clunky and unintuitive ui. People who care about karma in this game might be discouraged from playing this game. I do plan to play cv's as soon as I finish grinding usn bb's. They have the potential to dominate the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,544 posts
6,689 battles
3 minutes ago, Tedster_ said:

My observations of Lord_Zath say that swimming in karma doesn't spam you with supercontainers.

I know that hitting 10, and then 20-25 I had a supercontainer at each threshold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
130
[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,691 battles
21 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

I am writing this with concern, not for myself, but with respect to those who desire to play cvs, to the best of their ability, but feel bullied, harrassed, and worse, penalized by the Karma system for doing so. Some of you may remark that Karma means nothing, you would be right, for those of us who have a thick skin, and don't care about missing out on the discreet, but present, karma threshold rewards (supercontainers, premium game time). Without abolishing the karma reward/compliment system, does any one have ideas for how newer cv players might be encouraged?

I for one do my best to compliment CV adversaries who I can see, are new to cvs, or are grinding up  the cv tech tree on their own sincere account, playing to the best of their efforts. Do other regular carrier addicts do the same?

CV and karma dont go well together, from what ive seen and been told CV will get reported no matter what, you one shot a ship report, fly above a DD so its always spotted report, didn't give AA cover to someone there's another report, if new players want to play CV they have to get used to getting reported even if your ar the top with exp for that match.

if i have a good and fun match with the other CV i will compliment them

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,544 posts
6,689 battles
1 minute ago, ausanimal said:

CV and karma dont go well together, from what ive seen and been told CV will get reported no matter what, you one shot a ship report, fly above a DD so its always spotted report, didn't give AA cover to someone there's another report, if new players want to play CV they have to get used to getting reported even if your ar the top with exp for that match.

if i have a good and fun match with the other CV i will compliment them

that's the spirit! good for you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,248 posts
20,668 battles
16 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Really? Because I have clanmates with a lot of karma, and they certainly haven't been getting more SC and premium time.

Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation.  I mean, they might just have the right patch or emblem, right?

Karma affects nothing except your ego.  If you care for the approval of pixel people, that is.

Edited by slokill_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
443
[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,122 battles
6 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation.  I mean, they might just have the right patch or emblem, right?

Karma affects nothing except your ego.  If you care for the approval of pixel people, that is.

I think you misread my post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,704 posts
10,050 battles
33 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

Does the in game karma system discourage new CV players?

Hopefully.

 

WG have declared carriers a broken mess, people choosing to start playing the class now are simply perplexing. The sooner they stop the sooner WG will be incentivized to get the feth on with the carrier rework.

If you're that bad a carrier player that you're detracting from the enjoyment of 11 other players, then a few 'You Were Reported' messages seems a pretty small recompense.

I do feel some sympathy, it's not solely the fault of the carrier player that the carrier skill ceiling is too high and that you don't even learn to use key skills until T6 but the problem nonetheless remains, and what recourse of complaint do the other players have?

If there was a 'Report WG for implementing rubbish carrier mechanics and then taking >3 years to not do a rework' button I'd press that, but I can't.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,617
[SALVO]
Members
16,723 posts
17,314 battles
35 minutes ago, tm63au said:

I try to give advice to new players that are playing them when I am in game in another class of ship, not that I'm a good player of CV 's.

And if I'm playing a CV and see my opponent has played well ill give him a compliment in fact even when I'm in another class and both sides CV' s do well its a good idea we need more CV players in game.

CV's in this game are a must they bring  variety and for the non CV players it also brings a opportunity to enhance and further their skill level against this class of ship.

We should be encouraging more people to play them.

regards   

No, they're not a "must".  Not by a long shot.

That said, the best advice people can give new CV players is to play their CVs in coop for a good long time to learn to A) get comfortable with the CV related control keys, B) learn how to manage their various squadrons, and C) learn how to effectively execute manual attacks.  When you can do these things, then you're in good shape to go into random battles and not totally embarrass yourself in a CV.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,064
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,248 posts
8,815 battles

CV's and how hard they play well discourage new CV players.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
501
[POP]
Members
1,156 posts
14,810 battles

hi

 For the first part of your reply I will just say I agree to disagree with you, on the second part of your post I totally agree with you, Coop is the best place to learn to play this type of class and stay there for quite a while and practise.

cheers  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,576
[BIAS]
Members
3,058 posts
9,046 battles
34 minutes ago, Tedster_ said:

My observations of Lord_Zath say that swimming in karma doesn't spam you with supercontainers.

He never wins any big contests, that's for sure. /s  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,248 posts
20,668 battles
15 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

I think you misread my post

I think you're right.  That's what happens when I squeeze in the forums while I'm waiting for the games to load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,544 posts
6,689 battles
12 minutes ago, mofton said:

I do feel some sympathy, it's not solely the fault of the carrier player that the carrier skill ceiling is too high and that you don't even learn to use key skills until T6 but the problem nonetheless remains, and what recourse of complaint do the other players have?

Good to hear you are sympathetic. CVs do have a demanding learning curve, and CV players have a greater responsibility on their shoulders than other participants in random battles. But, the Karma system is not being used to encourage better play, or more players (of which the CV meta needs more of both). The karma system is being abused, players are being bullied to abandon efforts at CV play in random battles (among whom I know some quite excellent CV players, whose ability is certainly greater than mine). The most vulnerable to this abuse are those newish to carriers (fewer than 200 Carrier battles in randoms).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,704 posts
10,050 battles
6 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

But, the Karma system is not being used to encourage better play, or more players (of which the CV meta needs more of both). The karma system is being abused, players are being bullied to abandon efforts at CV play in random battles (among whom I know some quite excellent CV players, whose ability is certainly greater than mine).

I don't think 'You Were Reported' messages have ever encouraged people to play better. I'm pretty sure the message doesn't even say what you were reported for.

The report system is a safety valve for the people feeling let down, not there to encourage the poor player. I can't expect anything 'positive' to ever really come from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
534
[KP]
Members
2,018 posts
18,493 battles
1 hour ago, Ju87s said:

Really? Because I have clanmates with a lot of karma, and they certainly haven't been getting more SC and premium time.

I have over 200 karma and the last legit not Varyang SC was 3,000 games ago. Where is the Morgan Freeman "he's right ya know" meme when I need it?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×