You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
eisac

When is joining a clan appropriate for a new player?

13 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
107 battles

Hey people.

I am so far very much enjoying my playtime on this great game. I don't think this is a fair comparison, but this game is even better than Skyrim. After many years of RTS gameplay with groups of people; playing a very much online game with little to no interaction with humans (other than F10 and F12), I'm starting to get antsy. Team gameplay is much better, more powerful, immersive, strategic, educational and basically just a better way to play imho.

However, with less than 60 games under my belt, I don't want to offend anyone by trying to join a clan. I'm not too sure of the social culture of Wargaming when it comes to fairly new players. (read noobs)

This is kind of a question but also just a discussion topic; I'd like feedback on what you guys think. Should I get 100 games, 500? Start with a division then a clan? Play alone then cry myself to sleep?

I'm overthinking this. Let me know guys, thanks! :cap_old:

[EDIT: I haven't even gotten to level 15 yet so ACTUALLY joining a clan wouldn't be possible quite yet. Hopefully within 50 battles or so I'll get there.]

Edited by eisac
clarification

[CYPHR]
[CYPHR]
Members
125 posts
8,536 battles

well 1st get to level 15

then what ever floats your boat

there are clans who take low level players and even help them inprove there game play with trainings or with division play

there also clans who want u to have a win rate higher then 50 or more% or a number of hight tier ships

my advice is this

take your time level to level 15 and then look in the forms for a clan u like

by the time u hitt level 15 u will know more of the game and get to know what clans are active when u are playing

then apply and hope they take u in there ranks if not aply to the next one

• Cool 3

Members
3 posts
107 battles

Thank you Pigion,

I will take my time for sure till I get into the swing of things.

You're appreciated.

-Isaac

[HINON]
Members
8,836 posts
14 minutes ago, thepigionmaster said:

well 1st get to level 15

then what ever floats your boat

there are clans who take low level players and even help them inprove there game play with trainings or with division play

there also clans who want u to have a win rate higher then 50 or more% or a number of hight tier ships

my advice is this

take your time level to level 15 and then look in the forms for a clan u like

by the time u hitt level 15 u will know more of the game and get to know what clans are active when u are playing

then apply and hope they take u in there ranks if not aply to the next one

This is spot on advice imo. OP, there are a wide range of clans available so you shouldn't have trouble finding one that is a good fit for you.

Edited by RipNuN2

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

Timing of joining a clan is a lot less important than picking the right clan.

There are social clans who play for fun and don't care about competition to clans that demand you have 65% solo WR wtr and 7+ T10s, and anything in between.

Right now in your career you definitely don't qualify for a top end competitive clan, but there's nothing stopping you from joining a social clan that just likes to enjoy themselves. Who knows, maybe you'll find people who'll take you under your wing and help you along.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,687 battles

Great question!

As has been mentioned... there is really no rush to join a clan, get a certain number of games, reach a certain level, or to gain access to high-tier ships. "Take your time" may be the best advice anyone could receive about this game. Try lots of different nationalities and ship types. Get a feel for what you most enjoy or seem to have the greatest success with. (Won't always be the same.)

You can also get a feel for whether a clan might work for you by joining them on their voice-comms (Discord, Teamspeak, Mumble, etc.) long before actually joining a clan. You can often find voice-comm info in clan descriptions in-game. Lots of clans will gladly welcome players to talk with them, division with them, and to share what they know with newer players. This can be a good way to try out multiple groups over a period of time to see where you feel most at home. Then, once you reach level 15, you will have some idea of where you are going.

Also, if you are interested, I have a post linked at the bottom of my signature aimed at newer players that might be worth a look.

Whatever you decide, I wish you many happy games. Always nice to see someone join us here in the forums. The vast majority of players never will.

Respects,

Am

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

Different clans have different requirements, most state their requirements in their recruitment threads.  It's important to shop around and take your time, to ensure you find a group that your gonna actually want to socialize with.

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,306 battles

All correct re: clans.

There is also another way, which is Divisions. You can join with other people (up to 3) per game, and get a private chat, or even better voice on Discord or TS. They will help you along and guide you/teach you.

This can be done in PvE (aka Coop) against AI Bots or in PvP against people. Divisioning in Coop is a good way to start learning the right way.

Members
9 posts
121 battles

@eisac -  I think your question has two parts - (a) should you join a clan, and if so, (b) how to go about it.

(a) Should you join a clan ?

PERSONALITY: First, think about yourself, and the people you enjoyed playing with in previous games, especially games that were voice-enabled. This is because most clans expect voice communication, which means you're going to interact with these people a bit more closely than text-chat games (like most MMORPGs). If you have no past voice-enabled online gaming experience, look for a clan with people of the same age group as you, and who seem to share the same values.

As in all MBOAs, World of Warships can be anything from a very social to a very vicious environment, depending on who you fall in with. The more "elitist" the clan (i.e., higher experience and ship tier requirements), the greater the risk of a vicious environment, because they're extremely competitive and don't want "dead weight." However, the more "social" the clan, the more you have to look for personality matches. For example, a 65-year-old white-collar retiree who is used to a very polite, professional environment, is not going to enjoy a clan full for 20-year-olds whose idea of camaraderie is to exchange joking insults using the latest "hip" slang  --  and vice versa. Some clans are full of very passionate people who get excited (or angry) easily; other clans are full of laid-back, "chill" people who are always polite and positive, even after losing ten battles in a row.

LEARNING THE GAME: If you want to learn how to play the game better, clans are a very mixed bag. Many try to help newbies learn, but almost none of them have "trainers" who know how to teach. It's virtually unknown for them to have advanced degrees in teaching with a year or more of classroom experience. Consider that this is pre-requisite for virtually all public school teachers in the USA at K-12, and how successful THEY are despite such high knowledge and skill requirements. Clan "trainers" may know their subject at least as well of public school teachers, but they're almost all noobs at how to communicate that knowledge effectively (i.e., "Lesson plan? I don't need no !@#$@% lesson plan"). Therefore, it's better to expect a clan to provide pointers, spieced with highly individual "war stories" about how they learned to be better players. I have a friend who expected his clan to teach him to be a better player, and became very bitter when it didn't happen.

TEAMING: Do NOT expect to find team gameplay like "dungeon teams" a la MMORPGs. The 7-vs-7 "clan wars" battles are for "elder game" players only. You need certain Tier X (10) ships to participate effectively. While players with Tier VIII or IX ships can participate, they do so at a significant disadvantage. There are certain PvE "operations" that allow up to 8 (I think) players in a group, with the rest filled by random (human) players. However the primary gameplay experience is the 12-vs-12 PvP "Random" battles. A division of up to 3 people can team up and join a random battle, but smart gameplay requires everyone to have the same Tier ship. As you learn the typical single-ship tactics for each class, you'll discover that there is no good "doctrine" for how to operate ships together in divisions. This is unlike MMORPGs, where you just say "tank," "damage dealer" or "healer," and people know exactly what each does in the battle. That's an example of established doctrine. Furthermore, even if the three-person division did have kick-[edited]doctrine, they're only three people out of twelve. How the other nine stack up against the twelve on the opposing side can be a huge factor in victory important. Therefore, the "everyday" clan play experience in WoWS is social interaction via voice before, during and after battle.

VOICE ISSUES: Most clans want voice, which may be easy for you, or could be very hard due to living situation, ambient noise levels, and/or computer hardware issues. Also, you might have a hard time carrying on a conversation in the middle of a fight!  It can be hard to concentrate while people are yakking at you. The easiest way to check your hardware is to use the Windows sound recording and playback tools to see if your mic is working, your drivers aren't crashing everything, etc., etc. You can download PC client software for both Teamspeak and Discord at no cost. Either one runs just fine in the background while playing WoWS.

(b) How to find a clan ?

First, recognize that "casual" and "competitive" are code-words for different play styles, and often different clan goals. Competitive clans are usually focused on placing as high as possible in the various "clan wars" leagues, which represents their level of victorious gameplay against other clans. The successful ones like to brag about which league they're in. The more casual the clan, the less important their league standing, the the more important it is for people to have fun in battle. Of course, for some people, "fun" means "victorious," which means they're actually competitive, but hate to admit it.

STAT WARS: The majority of clans will want to know about your "stats." The majority of the community guides their opinions about people from these numbers. It's the game equivalent of how snappy a dresser you are, or like a baseball player's stats. If this repulses you, accept that fewer than half the clans advertising are suitable for you. If you want wide community "cred" and acceptance, you'll need to work exceptionally hard in other areas if you keep your stats secret.

As a general rule, the "stats are important" crowd use stats as an indicator of gameplay knowledge and skill. You need a WR of 50+ (have won 50% or more of your battles), and have fought at least 1,000 battles to be considered a competent, experienced player. Anyone with significantly less than 1,000 battles is considered "not experienced" in the game. To get to 1,000 battles with a WR of 50+ is only possible if you pay close attention to executing good gameplay (for your ship) in almost  every battle, and are reasonably competent in gunnery.

Supporting stats include average damage inflicted per battle and WTR. At the 1,000 battle mark, 30,000+ average damage per battle is considered good, while the further you dip below that mark, the less "good" you are considered. Damage is also the prime ingredient in your "WTR."  WTR = Warship Today Rating, available for via their site players with ~100+ battles at https://na.warships.today/ .  This provides an updated, easy-to-reference snapshot of player stats, and is often used by people in their signature line for forum posts.

ADVICE: Rather than repeat the advice of others, including previous people in this thread, allow me to suggest a couple additional threads with interesting opinions and subsequent discussion.

The first is mainly about finding a competitive clan for clan battles, but the advice extends beyond just clan battles.

The second is about clans in general.

I'm sure there are other equally good threads that additional people will suggest.

My Personal Path

Personally, I am concentrating on achieving a good, solid stat record as I work my way up in my chosen ship types (BB and DD). I'm not yet at 100 battles, much less 1,000 battles, but I'm trying  maintain my stats at a "good player" level. This is so I'll have the widest possible choice of clans. I'm also hoping that by the time I reach a Tier X ship, my stats will be good enough that I can play regularly on a "clan wars" battle team of some sort, should I wish to do so. In addition, if I can't find a suitable clan and need to create my own, stats-oriented community members will ignore the clan if the leader's stats are sub-standard.

So far, I'm able to maintain a decent WR, but my average damage per battle is only 22,405 - well below the 30k mark. This partly because at low Tiers ships have fewer HP, so there is simply less damage to inflict. However, in truth, the main reason all those battles where I was sunk without hitting much of anything more than outweigh those battles where I achieved 50k+ damage. I need to make fewer choices that turn out to be foolish rather than brave. Every time I end up with sub-par damage, I try to do an AAR with myself to figure out what bone-headed blunder I made that put me in the stats doghouse for that battle.

I am considering joining Lone Wolf, a "clan for solo players" to reduce mid-tier and higher-tier silver and XP costs via clan membership discounts. Last time I looked Lone Wolf they had a dozen subclans, and growing. You need to paw through the thread to catch up on how they've handled their growth. This clan's recruitment poster is here:

However, bear in mind that you must be clanless for three calendar days before you can join a new clan. Therefore, if you're seriously considering a "real" clan now, being in even this one will prevent you from joining another until you sit out the "clan cool-down" period. Also bear in mind that you past clan memberships become a permanent part of your game "stats" and visible in the same way that your stats are visible. Therefore,. joining multiple clans of ill-repute could follow you throughout your career.

Edited by SeaBeaver
  • Cool 1

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
44 posts
5,969 battles

Many clans have requirements you must meet before going. Many of the more social clans will take anyone. I suggest joining one of these ocean you are able if you want clan benfits. Use your time now to find a group you really get a long with and join that clan when you are ready. 

My clan ADOPT is a clan to help anyone looking to improve. We even have requirements for people to join such as, playing at the least 500 battles and at least 1 tier 8 non-premium ship.  This is just to make sure people are interested in the game long term. 

[HORNT]
Members
8 posts
1,349 battles

There is no right or wrong time to join a clan. My clan [HORNT]  is a clan that is easy going and has only one requirement, and that's to be active. We are willing to help out new players learn the game, and give advice as well. If you are interested or want to know more feel free to message me.

Edited by Treverjp
Forgot to quote

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,271 posts
10,534 battles

Greetings, eisac... and welcome to World of Warships!

I am understanding from you original post that you are researching a good clan to join once you reach game level 15 and I would like to invite you to invest a little time into checking Tactical Strike Group 4! TSG4 is a very open and friendly organization that is receptive to "newer" players and is also strongly committed to building and maintaining a "Family of Friends" that understand and upholds the concept of "One Team, One Fight!" IN fact, Tactical Strike Group 4 is "in it for the long haul" and will be celebrating its one-year anniversary on 23 Apr 2018!

Most folks in WoWS (such as SeaBeaver above) never mention our organization in their posts. However, we have a very solid cadre of leadership, a strong and clearly defined organizational structure, as well as a set of very detailed Ethos, Core Values, Member Guide and SOP's! Actually, our SOP's are a simple foundation on "How To Be A Decent Human" and I gladly invite you to spend a few minutes reading through them on our OpServ (website) so that you can get a clearer picture of who TSG4 is and what TSG4 represents. The direct link to our SOP's is http://www.tsg4.org/sop.

TSG4 is also a very ACTIVE organization that has its own (very active) forums, a tribute to any and all military personnel and a system of recognition and awards! It is an organization that is active on many different levels... from engaging in competition settings such as Clan Wars and Ranked Battles all the way through simply forming divisions to coordinate smashing ships in Random game mode.  We also host numerous intra-clan activities such as our monthly company competition as well as our recent "Girls Night Out" ARP series event!

If you are interested in training, TSG4 places a lot of emphasis on training through our numerous self-paced Basic Training courses on our OpServ, as well conducting many Focused Training Exercises (FTX's) throughout each month that concentrate on specific topics for each session!  There are always members available to help with (quite literally) ANY question that you may have... and many of our members keep their lower-tiered ships specifically for the purposes of engaging in some of the clan-sanctioned events, as well as helping newer members with their grind to higher tiered ships!

In summation, I would again like to invite you to invest the time in checking-out TSG4!  It is a tad bit of reading.... but what you learn about us from that reading will certainly be well worth your effort and could possibly help in guiding you to a stable and permanent clan home well into the future of  your WoWs gaming!  Feel free to browse around the different areas of our OpServ by clicking the various button on the top menu bar and exploring the information in each section.... and as always, I will avail myself (and any of our officers) to you for assistance if you should happen to have any questions!

In friendship,

Nocona
Capt, CO
Tactical Strike Group 4
“A Family of Friends: One Team, One Fight!”
http://www.tsg4.org/

597b9c75ccb42_TacticalStrikeGroup4(250x245).png.231b8d6e92fe7c3a639a78e7b93bc897.png

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,340 battles

I command a small casual clan. We don't have a win-rate or tier requirement. Our primary goal is to have fun. The benefits that come from a clan are nice perks, but not the focus. If you want to join a casual clan, I would say go for it. Voice comms make the game so much more fun. I've gotten some great advice from other people in my clan, and helped others too.

If you want to go for competitive later, nothing wrong with that. The real question, like a few others have said, is more about the kind of clan you are joining over if you should or shouldn't join one.

Hell, I'll take you in if you like.