You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
slider37

Captain retraining question

29 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
2,795 battles

If I reassigned a captain from the T5 ship to the T6 ship of the same line, and after the captain had been fully retrained on the T6, could I reassign him back to T5 immediately without retraining?  Could I just swap him back and forth between the 2 ships?

Members
17,842 posts
5,092 battles

Nope, captain can only be trained for 1 ship at a time.

[SYN]
Members
4,532 posts
11,434 battles

Once a captain is trained on a new boat, he "forgets" everything he learned on the previous boat.  So to put him back on the old boat means he will need retraining again.  The only exception to this is when captains are moved to and from premium ships, which obviously do not require retraining.

Members
22 posts
2,795 battles

Thanks.  So there's really no point to keep the lower tier ship once you decide to get the next one up, since I only have 1 captain per ship line.  Do you all have more than 1 cap'n in each line?  That must have taken awfully long to grind to get all the skill points for multiple captains...

[VOP]
Members
268 posts
6,989 battles
7 minutes ago, slider37 said:

Thanks.  So there's really no point to keep the lower tier ship once you decide to get the next one up, since I only have 1 captain per ship line.  Do you all have more than 1 cap'n in each line?  That must have taken awfully long to grind to get all the skill points for multiple captains...

I have a lot of lower tier ships.  I enjoy playing them, so I have many captains per ship line.  Then again, I am not concerned with grinding ship captains either.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,966 battles

I have a file with details in it at home but I think you will get roughly 15 points if you grind a captain frim tier 2 to 10 retraining each time and without using and bonuses for captain XP. Most people have multiple captains they will use for each line because you want each tier 10 to have a captain. Also you can get 10 point captains from events and operations that you can backfill if you really like a certain ship.

[SHAFT]
Members
166 posts
10,011 battles
14 minutes ago, slider37 said:

Grinding multiple lines is tough and yes it will take you a very long time.

My first 19 pointer took about a year to get - the other 5 were a lot easier because i did the following:

1. Choose a line you enjoy and if you can afford it get a premium ship for that line as a trainer, you can switch captains to a premium without penalties(T6 works out great as you can do operations which with practice can yield consistent captain xp with good performances).
  2. Save those xp flags for special events/100% xp weekends, try and run premium time also during those events. Get the first win bonus.
  3. Save free ship xp to retrain captains if you do decide to switch...never doubloons save those for premium time, sometimes a weekend pass will make more sense than buying months of premium time especially if you get in most of your games only on the weekend.

PS. Now is a great time to get elite xp, try and play as many games as you can daily in space battles. I've run up close to 500k xp so far.

Edited by Rabindra_Sooknanan
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,033 posts
2,203 battles
29 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Nope, captain can only be trained for 1 ship at a time.

Except Premium ships?  (I don't have any.)

[WAG]
Members
379 posts
7,274 battles
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Not exactly. The captain is still trained for the non-premium ship. The captain can be placed in a premium ship without penalty/retraining. While in the premium ship, they will still be noted as trained for the non-premium ship they were moved from.

Members
17,842 posts
5,092 battles
8 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Any captain can only be trained for one ship, (even one specifically trained for a premium) but a premium ship does not require a specifically trained captain.

Most people don't train a captain for a premium, they just leave it empty until they put a captain from another ship in it.

[WAG]
Members
379 posts
7,274 battles
29 minutes ago, slider37 said:

If I like a ship I keep it, and either start a new captain for the next ship, or move the captain up to there next ship, and start a new one. Or, I use an extra captain from reserve. You can acquire captains from:

• Operations (I believe 5 provided 10 point captains)
  • Campaigns/Collections/Combat Missions (there have been a few so far that have been as high as 15 points)
  • Ships from Holiday containers (come with 10 point captains, despite premium ships not needing dedicated captains

If I don't have an extra, I train a new one with Elite Commander XP. I have three 19 point captains that generate a great deal of Elite Commander XP. So much so, that I can train 10 point captains whenever I need them (25 gold plus 176,000 Elite Commander XP, if I recall).

[SF-3]
Members
1,452 posts
7,929 battles

Some people move their captains up with each ship, others get a new one. I do a mix of both. I usually move my captain up with the ship, but the ships I really enjoy playing I get a dedicated captain because I am lazy and don't like to switch captains around.

[TDG]
Members
1,132 posts
5,736 battles
8 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

If I like a ship I keep it, and either start a new captain for the next ship, or move the captain up to there next ship, and start a new one. Or, I use an extra captain from reserve. You can acquire captains from:

• Operations (I believe 5 provided 10 point captains)
  • Campaigns/Collections/Combat Missions (there have been a few so far that have been as high as 15 points)
  • Ships from Holiday containers (come with 10 point captains, despite premium ships not needing dedicated captains

If I don't have an extra, I train a new one with Elite Commander XP. I have three 19 point captains that generate a great deal of Elite Commander XP. So much so, that I can train 10 point captains whenever I need them (25 gold plus 176,000 Elite Commander XP, if I recall).

175K, but whose counting :Smile_teethhappy:

This is where I'm at, other than I don't have accumulated Elite Commander XP.

I grind all lines and I keep a captain on each tech tree ship.  Up to a certain point, I leave the captain behind and start new.  Once I get far enough, I keep a lead captain that moves to the next ship.

I finished off my most recent 19-point captain using Elite Commander XP generated in the Space Battles.  I was acquiring over 100K each day.

My first 19-point captain was my Missouri captain.  I only just unlocked Montana and I am still grinding the credits to buy it.

My second 19-point captain is on Minotaur, my first Tier 10, and I got the ship first.

My third 19-point captain is my Akizuki captain who also drives my HSF Harekaze.

These are all ships I enjoy running.  I didn't finish the USN battleship line earlier as I had ArizonaAlabama, and Missouri.  For the longest time, my lead USN BB captain was specialized for Colorado allowing play from Tier 5 to Tier 9.  I needed to actually run through the silver line to get Montana.  All of the USN battleships are fun for me and I am quite comfortable in their use.  They all generate good returns in XP and credits.

• Cool 1

Members
17,842 posts
5,092 battles
48 minutes ago, slider37 said:

If I enjoyed playing the ship, I keep it after moving on. (or rebuy it later) I always move captains up.

I used to use doubloons to retrain higher-skill captains, but I haven't been lately, using elite XP and 200k credits, or free premiums and flags.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,204 posts
7,189 battles

I have 19 point captains now for most of my T10's, though it took me far longer to get the first one than it did to get the first T10 ship. (US cruiser and DD lines, I didn't always move the captain up because there were ships that I wanted to keep playing, so I started over several times with new captains at different tiers.)

That said, with the whole elite XP thing, I'm now going back to train captains for lower-tier ships that I like and want to keep playing. Gneisenau is getting one. Kagero. There'll be a few others, too.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,033 posts
2,203 battles
1 hour ago, DustRhino said:

Not exactly. The captain is still trained for the non-premium ship. The captain can be placed in a premium ship without penalty/retraining. While in the premium ship, they will still be noted as trained for the non-premium ship they were moved from.

1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Any captain can only be trained for one ship, (even one specifically trained for a premium) but a premium ship does not require a specifically trained captain.

Most people don't train a captain for a premium, they just leave it empty until they put a captain from another ship in it.

Thanks!

Can you move a partially trained capt to a premium and finish his training there?

[TDG]
Members
1,132 posts
5,736 battles
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Me. 183,000, BTW

Is that from zero?

I was responding to the comment in the quote about 25 gold and 176,000.

If that is the case, 25 gold saves you 8,000 Elite Commander XP.  I may start paying the silver for the 1-point commander and accelerate training from there.

[SYN]
Members
4,532 posts
11,434 battles
2 hours ago, slider37 said:

I kept most of the 60-ish boats I ground through just because I like to play them.  Each of them have captains, all of them being multi-point.

Just get a new captain and move on, like the rest of us did.

Edited by Kuckoo

Members
17,842 posts
5,092 battles
22 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Thanks!

Can you move a partially trained capt to a premium and finish his training there?

I assume you mean a captain you've assigned to a new ship, but hasn't worked off his "penalty"?

For sure.

[WAG]
Members
379 posts
7,274 battles
29 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Thanks!

Yes you can. That is one of the reasons people buy Premium ships.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
4 hours ago, slider37 said:

If I reassigned a captain from the T5 ship to the T6 ship of the same line, and after the captain had been fully retrained on the T6, could I reassign him back to T5 immediately without retraining?  Could I just swap him back and forth between the 2 ships?

It seems that we have forgetful captains and can only retain the Training of one ship.

Members
1,000 posts
5,746 battles
3 hours ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Is that from zero?

I was responding to the comment in the quote about 25 gold and 176,000.

If that is the case, 25 gold saves you 8,000 Elite Commander XP.  I may start paying the silver for the 1-point commander and accelerate training from there.

I missed that detail...sorry. Yeah, that table is from zero.

I never spend the doubloons or the credits for initial points. I can get the 1000 XP for one skill point in one battle. With flags and camo, it's pretty easy to get the XP for the three skill points quickly as well.

I might grind those captain XP points in Co-op, much like grinding Ship XP for modules.

Now, I will shell out the credits for 50% retraining almost every time (unless the captain I am moving has so few skill points as to make it not worthwhile.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea

[WOLFB]
Members
420 posts
3,651 battles
5 hours ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I finished off my most recent 19-point captain using Elite Commander XP generated in the Space Battles.  I was acquiring over 100K each day.

Holy smokes! Can I ask how you get 100K per day? What's the math there?

If I get 1000 from a space battle and even if I did stack Premium time (which I don't have) and signals and First Win Bonus and everything on that, it seems like it'd only be about 2000 or 3000 per battle. Are you playing 30-50 battles a day?

WIth a 19 point captain taking about 1.5 Million XP, 100K per day almost makes it sound possible.