You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Narsyl

T6-9 Soviet Cruisers viable without IFHE?

15 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
263 battles

Hello,

Most of the builds I see for the Soviet Cruisers (at least from Budyonny through Donskoi) almost universally recommend taking IFHE.

I understand the reasons why it works well on these ships, but personally, I hate being 'shoehorned' into one build and one build only...

I was planning on going a more AA focused, (cuz sky cancer lulz) and I don't really want to give up concealment either...

...but I've just gotten up to the Budy from the Kirov and oh. my. god. I feel completely helpless to do any sort of damage!  She does alright against T5-7, but I've been getting thrown into mostly T8 battles and NOTHING works.  I don't seem lucky enough to play against folks dumb enough to sail broadside to me, so AP mostly bounces... and my HE just shatters against everything... and I'm sick of praying to RNGesus (who effing hates me) for fires.  12% fire chance? tell that to my 144 shell hits / 4 fires games I seem to always get lol.

I just got my 6th captain point and wasn't planning on taking DE but I feel I almost have to... and I wasn't planning on taking IFHE either but it almost seems necessary on this ship...

Anyone have any luck with the mid-tier Soviets without the cookie-cutter IFHE build?

Thanks

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,097 battles

My opinion is IFHE was designed for Russian ships so yes it makes a huge difference.

[TASH]
Members
4,995 posts
7,919 battles

You can go without IFHE, but you need to be able to aim well so you can land hits on the superstructure.

Beta Testers
38 posts
3,638 battles

As long as you can hit the superstructure, regular HE can still do good damage to BBs. Not having IFHE on ~150mm guns will be sub-optimal until wargaming does a rebalance, though.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,694 posts
10,037 battles

Viable - yes, optimal - no.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,727 posts
11,353 battles

A build without IFHE is 'viable' but not optimal. If you want more AA centered builds, then maybe you should be looking at a different line.

[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts

Take IFHE up most of the line and then when they have a free respec, use it for your moskva commander.

[SF-A]
Members
2,850 posts
5,548 battles

Yes, I have reached Moskva without IFHE on any preceding ships. I have decent stats on Russian cruisers.

Members
292 posts
1 hour ago, Narsyl said:

Hello,

Most of the builds I see for the Soviet Cruisers (at least from Budyonny through Donskoi) almost universally recommend taking IFHE.

I understand the reasons why it works well on these ships, but personally, I hate being 'shoehorned' into one build and one build only...

I was planning on going a more AA focused, (cuz sky cancer lulz) and I don't really want to give up concealment either...

...but I've just gotten up to the Budy from the Kirov and oh. my. god. I feel completely helpless to do any sort of damage!  She does alright against T5-7, but I've been getting thrown into mostly T8 battles and NOTHING works.  I don't seem lucky enough to play against folks dumb enough to sail broadside to me, so AP mostly bounces... and my HE just shatters against everything... and I'm sick of praying to RNGesus (who effing hates me) for fires.  12% fire chance? tell that to my 144 shell hits / 4 fires games I seem to always get lol.

I just got my 6th captain point and wasn't planning on taking DE but I feel I almost have to... and I wasn't planning on taking IFHE either but it almost seems necessary on this ship...

Anyone have any luck with the mid-tier Soviets without the cookie-cutter IFHE build?

Thanks

Can't speak for the rest of those tiers but for the tier 6 budyonny i averaged 53.6k damage across 49 games WITHOUT IFHE.

So at least for tier 6, no you don't NEED it.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,204 posts
7,189 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

It works just fine. Just learn when to shoot AP. 

This.

AP from those ships is vicious.

I've citadeled an Izumo, using Schors.

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,248 battles

They did just fine before IFHE was ever implemented.

however, IFHE will definitely help damage output on 152mm guns.

[-TKS-]
Members
286 posts
5,606 battles

guess ill have to try ifhe . i always go concealment expert since most of my cpt are 10 pointers.