You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

What TX CV should I free xp to?

46 comments in this topic

[MIA-A]
Members
1,937 posts
6,535 battles

I have a little over 2M free xp now. I was thinking about just free xp'ing to either the Midway/Hakuryu. It seems either of these might be fun and nice to play in ranked to get familiarity with them.

Any recommendations on which to go for? I could probably just free xp to either the Shokaku or Lexington too and grind that out in the early stages of ranked and just free xp to the X's once I hit rank 10, as well.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
1,623 posts
12,629 battles

I say wait till the CV rework is done, now when will that happen I dont know but here is the up date on that.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,121 battles

DONT

DO

THAT.

Learn how to play first, jump to a TX its the worse thing you can make.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Neither, learn the CVs first and work your way up either of the Lines until you feel a little satisfied with that current ship. Uptiering all the way up does not make the game easier.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Neither. You will seriously regret the decision, even if you ultimately love CVs. High tier CV play is extremely demanding and unforgiving. The abuse you receive from your team makes ranked seem like a warm and loving environment, and that's if you're good.

And CV queue times for ranked are best measured in months. High tier ranked CV queue times (which it would have to be for this season of ranked) are measured in centuries.

Do yourself a lot of favors, and just work your way up the IJN CV line.

• Cool 2

[BIAS]
Members
2,991 posts
8,952 battles
4 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

DONT

DO

THAT.

Learn how to play first, jump to a TX its the worse thing you can make.

Well, would it be easier to get a buddy to fxp to t10 at the same time and then run a div with the one cv and sync drop with both of them? Then you can stomp the guy that you sync dropped with to pad your stats and win the game? 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

Neither. You will seriously regret the decision, even if you ultimately love CVs. High tier CV play is extremely demanding and unforgiving. The abuse you receive from your team makes ranked seem like a warm and loving environment, and that's if you're good.

And CV queue times for ranked are best measured in months. High tier ranked CV queue times (which it would have to be for this season of ranked) are measured in centuries.

Do yourself a lot of favors, and just work your way up the IJN CV line.

Face the horror of using 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 (?) with IJN or face the horror of being swarmed by IJN when USN.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,937 posts
6,535 battles

Just now, Vangm94 said:

Face the horror of using 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 (?) with IJN or face the horror of being swarmed by IJN when USN.

I guess I could freexp both lines and see which I liked more, not a bad idea.

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
Just now, enderland07 said:

I guess I could freexp both lines and see which I liked more, not a bad idea.

Up to you to not complain about your mistakes.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,601 posts
13,148 battles

That's not a bad idea I have so much free XP laying around

If you can't beat them join them I think I might just go for the midway then I don't have to suffer through the Ranger and Lexington:cap_hmm:

Edited by silverdahc

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
Just now, silverdahc said:

That's not a bad idea I have so much free XP laying around

If you can't beat them join them I think I might just go for the midway then I don't have to suffer through the Ranger and Lexington:cap_hmm:

Up to you to not complain about your mistakes.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,121 battles
Just now, silverdahc said:

That's not a better idea I have so much free XP laying around

suffer in ranger and lex and essex is just a learning experience for go to midway, the ship is not that "op" if the player dont know how to play it proper and learn about the AA in T9/X.

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts

Carriers are by FAR the hardest ship type to master. If there's one line you NEVER want to free XP past in a hurry, it's carriers.

Which ship line? There's only really viable one and that's IJN. USN carriers are continuously nerfed if they seem even remotely competitive. Their planes are slower, often lower tiered and hence more fragile, take significantly longer to reload (even taking into account squadron sizes), have less map coverage due to having less squads in the air. USN carriers are less well armored, slower, have TERRIBLE concealment, and generally worse secondaries. I believe they generally have better AA, but it's moot since Wargaming gave IJN carriers a better Defensive AA multiplier to compensate.

USN do have a couple of notable advantages: Their strike planes hit harder. They can strafe much more often. So basically, you're trading that brute force by making them worse in every other way. Wargaming feels this is balanced. The entire community does not and stats across all servers reflect that.

Personally, while I'm fascinated by carriers, I am nowhere near good enough to multitask to the level required by these ships and I know it. And given how much impact CVs have on this game, I don't want to hurt my team's chances of winning by being outplayed. I'll just wait until this mythic CV rework happens when pig's fly.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
3 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

suffer in ranger and lex and essex is just a learning experience for go to midway, the ship is not that "op" if the player dont know how to play it proper and learn about the AA in T9/X.

I Free XPed to Iowa, she hates me greatly. I Free XPed to Fletcher, she is warming up to me. I Free XPed to Essex, I stopped using her since she lost her Fighters. So now I use Lexington.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
6 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Which ship line? There's only really viable one and that's IJN. USN carriers are continuously nerfed if they seem even remotely competitive. Their planes are slower, often lower tiered and hence more fragile, take significantly longer to reload (even taking into account squadron sizes), have less map coverage due to having less squads in the air. USN carriers are less well armored, slower, have TERRIBLE concealment, and generally worse secondaries. I believe they generally have better AA, but it's moot since Wargaming gave IJN carriers a better Defensive AA multiplier to compensate.

we all know WG has a massive picture of Hakuryu somewhere with i little note at the bottem saying "i love you"

[MIA-A]
Members
1,937 posts
6,535 battles
2 minutes ago, ausanimal said:

we all know WG has a massive picture of Hakuryu somewhere with i little note at the bottem saying "i love you"

does that mean I should freexp to the hackuryu?

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
23 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I have a little over 2M free xp now. I was thinking about just free xp'ing to either the Midway/Hakuryu. It seems either of these might be fun and nice to play in ranked to get familiarity with them.

Any recommendations on which to go for? I could probably just free xp to either the Shokaku or Lexington too and grind that out in the early stages of ranked and just free xp to the X's once I hit rank 10, as well.

like many people have said dont do it, play each tier and use your free exp to get all the upgrades from the stock CV when you get a new one and then play till you have enough exp to get the next one you will learn about playing CV and the things you can do while getting better at it, if any i would say use free exp to skip ranger and thats it, ranger is broken in many ways and the CV you can face that tier is no fun at all and would be the only one worth skipping.

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

does that mean I should freexp to the hackuryu?

Stop being an obvious troll. Everyone here is telling you not to do it, so don't do it. At the very least, play some tier 6 matches to master strafing and manual dropping before pushing forward. Going from tier 5 to tier 10 in a carrier is just asking to get flamed and widely hated by everyone you team up with.

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,151 battles

I could free xp to the other line you don't choose Ender, and then we could sync drop and spend the entire match trying to snipe each other, or alternately try to ram kill each other ....

That doesn't seem like as much fun, now that I have actually typed it out .....

• Funny 1

[MIA-A]
Members
1,937 posts
6,535 battles
4 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Stop being an obvious troll. Everyone here is telling you not to do it, so don't do it. At the very least, play some tier 6 matches to master strafing and manual dropping before pushing forward. Going from tier 5 to tier 10 in a carrier is just asking to get flamed and widely hated by everyone you team up with.

Eh, it's not really trolling. I have well over 2M free xp at this point and none of the lines really interest me much except CVs. 

I guess one option would be to play them in coop a long while too. You can get a lot more games in and while bots are pretty bad in general they are still better in my experience than a depressingly large number of human CVs..

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

while bots are pretty bad in general they are still better in my experience than a depressingly large number of human CVs..

You'd be surprised. And there's a lot of prioritization and resource management you'll need to learn, but can't in co-op, because there are fewer ships, and they go down faster.

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,499 battles
37 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Please tell me you're trolling. Lie if you have to. 

There's no way to learn how to play CV without playing CV. Free-XPing to the tier 10 is a terrible idea. Free-XPing to the tier 10 for ranked is, no hyperbole, the dumbest idea anyone has posted on this forum since Kyogre disappeared.

This would incite rage even in randoms; doing this in ranked would make people legitimately hate you.  I wouldn't be surprised to see people lose their tempers and teamkill you. And I'd have a hard time feeling sympathy if they did. 

Just no.