You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NewbieDash

[Solved] Petition for the withdraw of minimap rendering delay

13 comments in this topic

[NADO]
Members
42 posts
4,470 battles

Hi, 

I've just read about the testing outcome of the supposedly optimization of synchronized rendering & minimap display of enemy ships. 

Sadly, the fix seemed more like a minimap display delay, other than an actual rendering fix

If this has been true, then the feature does nothing more than nullifying the advantage of watching minimap for detecting enemy ships, and further discourages advancing players, from what would be perhaps THE most important lesson in the game: map awareness

I still love all the other features of 0.7.4 and thank our dev. team for their work and openness, and honestly the tweak itself is a quite ingenious one.

However, this change has been a drawback in the balancing philosophy, and even the new players who are supposedly benefiting from the change would probably not feel and appreciate it at all (since they don't watch minimap to begin with, and rendering hasn't been really fixed), and might suffer even more for the missed valuable lesson, while a good portion of dedicated players, who have developed the habit of minimap awareness, would probably be on the complaining side. 

So, 

As much as I appreciate all the work WG has put into this new patch and the implementation of all the welcomed buffs and potential/spotting counter, this supposedly feature of introducing artificial delay in minimap is something that I would not find beneficial, at all, and I hereby call for WG dev. to re-evaluate the decision to actually implement this tweak into the upcoming update. 

Best regards, 

[NADO] NewbieDash, NA/PTS

Edited by NewbieDash
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
202 posts
4,753 battles

Well voiced opinion on a very important game mechanic flaw.

I hope WG re-evaluates this as well. Every time things get balanced for the lowest common denominator, the game(s) lose depth and punish the engaged player,...like sixth sense in WoT *sigh*

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,747 posts
11,365 battles

Easier to break something to fix something else it seems. The original problem was better left alone it seems...

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
478 posts
3,563 battles

Please post link to the testing report, thanks

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,045 posts
4,382 battles

+1 for your well thought-out and argued post, but im not sure how much i agree with it. Personally I rely on the early minimap spotting quite a bit, I've even managed to land some successful hits and kills by watching the likely area where enemy ships might appear and getting a salvo or torpedo spread out before they're rendered. When I heard they were fixing it I was on board with the decision. I haven't read anything about the testing yet so I'll reserve my judgement until I can look into it, but the feature was always accidental and can lead to an advantage for those who know how to capitalize on it. I'm not for pandering to the lowest denominator as has been mentioned, but keeping the game level for the average skill level isn't a bad idea.

[HAG]
Beta Testers
318 posts
4,072 battles

Iluke having a chance to get my guns swinging into the correct direction myself

[NADO]
Members
42 posts
4,470 battles
19 hours ago, missile742 said:

Please post link to the testing report, thanks

No problem, here's the link:

image.thumb.png.b4d26ec374d9ad20aa8bfb96cabc31fa.png

And attached below is the comment from no other than our king potato flamu. 

At this point, even if WG tries to remove the video in an attempt to hide the truth, it won't change the broken reputation of the fix - this has been echoing in at least my clan for a while, and anyone with PTS access can test it out for themselves. 

[NADO]
Members
42 posts
4,470 battles
20 hours ago, Weapon_of_Proliferation said:

I hope WG re-evaluates this as well. Every time things get balanced for the lowest common denominator, the game(s) lose depth and punish the engaged player,...like sixth sense in WoT *sigh*

Ikr, and I've been losing track of how many frustrating engagements with RN BBs I've had..

isn't the RN navy the one with BBs (or BC in that sense) blown up by Germans from Jutland to Denmark Strait, where are those juicy citadels, and how come the BB that shoots stuff you can't angle against, while with little need to angle in himself? - even if he took a few normal pens, hey what is this T button - whooops 

[NADO]
Members
42 posts
4,470 battles
20 hours ago, Weapon_of_Proliferation said:

Thanks, 

and the thing is, unlike things as RN BB which are ACTUALLY EZ and fun to play and can be appreciated by casual players - or used for seasoned seal-clubbing - until more of these ships endup on the red side that is, 

common potatoes won't even NOTICE anything in this change - it's not like they often USE minimap or READ patch notes, otherwise we'd had some better teamplay in the first place...

so, in the end, it's quite confusing even as of whom this patch is trying to please... maybe our poor OCD who gets triggered by unsynchronization?  

[AP]
Members
1 post
2,876 battles
On 2018/4/16 at 9:32 AM, NewbieDash said:

+1, the new feature is extremely punishing for engaging cruiser and destroyer captains. 

[NADO]
Members
42 posts
4,470 battles
On 2018/4/16 at 2:42 PM, KingCakeBaby said:

+1 for your well thought-out and argued post, but im not sure how much i agree with it. Personally I rely on the early minimap spotting quite a bit, I've even managed to land some successful hits and kills by watching the likely area where enemy ships might appear and getting a salvo or torpedo spread out before they're rendered. When I heard they were fixing it I was on board with the decision. I haven't read anything about the testing yet so I'll reserve my judgement until I can look into it, but the feature was always accidental and can lead to an advantage for those who know how to capitalize on it. I'm not for pandering to the lowest denominator as has been mentioned, but keeping the game level for the average skill level isn't a bad idea.

Thank you for your input, honestly I don't care too much about nerfing the capacity for BB players to get more DS strikes by denying them the ability to pre-aim their guns. However, considering that cruiser and dd players could not pre-dodge the same way as before either, and before they get any clue, shells are already some 1-3 seconds into the air roaring towards them... likely a bigger buff for bbs and a huge nerf for cruiser/dd players. And considering that the latter two also relies more heavily on map awareness, well, we are really one step closer to world of battleships aren't we xD

[NADO]
Members
42 posts
4,470 battles
On 2018/4/17 at 2:12 PM, M_Lorenzini said:

Yup, that's the other main issue on par with the decrease in minimap awareness. 

[NADO]
Members
42 posts
4,470 battles

Great to learn that WG responded actively towards the feedbacks, and this time the minimap rendering delay was called off, which is definitely applaudable. 

Now I certainly have no problem calling this patch one of the best in 2018, and among the better ones of all times :)

Asashio still feels kinda OP, but hey, there's so many great discounts, and I won't mind farming some poor bbs myself (゚▽゚)/