You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S16_Hunter

New to Richelieu

13 comments in this topic

[H_]
Members
217 posts
6,999 battles

Ok, just got this beast and played one game.. Ok so it didn't go so well, so here I am.

Big change from the Lyon which by the way I really liked.

Build question, pretty much mimic'd what was on wiki for the build, why not Aiming modification for it?  Not needed? 

May need to change my captain skills,  but have him setup like the suggestions for the Lyon in wiki also.  Which seemed ok for the Rich.. 14 pt capt.

So first I need to get the Dunkerque  mentality out of my head based on  what I've read so far. Found that out last night in my first game,  duh.  Gun range is insane and even more so with the spotter up. Drives pretty well and for sure is not "slow". 

Would it help to have the Aiming system mod until I can get the hull upgraded to B which would then lend itself more to AA and secondary's builds? Primarily use AP? Or use HE or get IFHE?

Is there a sweet spot for the guns, 12-18km?   

From what I'm reading she is pretty well received in the community so I'm hoping I can click with her at some point. I'm really really looking forward to the Alsace that boat is an absolute beast from what I've encountered.

Suggestions always welcome as I'm not a BB predominant player. 

Regards..

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I'd suggest aiming systems mod 1. She doesn't need much else, and her guns are the sweet spot of her aside from her speed.

Members
1,550 posts
9,822 battles

I started playing her two weeks ago. What I found from the getgo is that it is a totally different play style from the Lyon, which I absolutely love. It took a bit of getting used to.

I highly recommend getting all the modules upgraded ASAP.  I don't know how others play this ship but I really sucked at it until I did the following:

1) Started using it's long range. Although I dislike camping, this ship is best mid to long range at the beginning of the battle. As you near the latter part of the battle with less enemy ships you can bring it closer in.

2) Point your bow at the enemy. Try to position yourself so that you are exposed to the least amount of enemy ships from different directions. Use islands to your advantage. If you find yourself exposed to enemy to your left and right, reposition in such a way that you are angled to both.

3) Switch between HE and AP often.  I was pleasantly surprised at the high percentage of fires from HE shells. Use HE on tier 10s and enemy ships that are long range. 

Keep in mind that although (in my opinion) this ship is "meh" it usually survives most battles if you rarely show your sides and can put out some reasonable damage.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles

Do not waste four captain skill points on IFHE.  It's not needed on 380mm guns, especially since AP will be your primary armament choice.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Tank-on sailor. Use the speed boost to get out of Dodge.

Historical note: The French brought Ho Chi Minh on board the Richelieu in the 1950s to impress the heck out of him. I guess that didn't work out as hoped.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,674 battles
54 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I'd suggest aiming systems mod 1. She doesn't need much else, and her guns are the sweet spot of her aside from her speed.

Although lots and lots of quad bofors on the Richelieu can also justify AA mod 2. She does have bit of a based aim, and at medium and close range you can justify not using the moderate increase in accuracy.

But yes, there's no denying that this ship is very different from Lyon, and should be played more cautiously. 

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,736 battles
42 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

All the things

This.  Make use of her range and play a little conservatively at the beginning of the match.  Then put your speed, maneuverability and fast-turning turrets to use.  Get on a flank if you're able (and you should) and then put those high-penetration guns to work.  

She's also not half-bad at kiting, those forward-facing turrets are easy to forget about when you're chasing a Rich.  When they turn nearly 180º and blap someone following too closely, it usually inspires some very colorful commentary in chat.  That and her aft-heavy secondaries and high speed are very effective at dissuading DDs from attempting to give chase.

28 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Do not waste four captain skill points on IFHE.  It's not needed on 380mm guns

The IFHE choices I've seen made have been for 100mm and 150mm HE-only secondaries.  In essence, you're right though; IFHE is not nearly worth the points for the main guns.  She's pretty capable with a secondary build, if a little awkward due to most of their placements.  I don't use it at this moment, but that doesn't mean it's not an effective choice.  Maybe a little way down the road when I'm playing with different captain configurations.

-R

Members
1,512 posts
7,972 battles

Hey

Don't get bogged down into thinking that because your guns are up front that you have to bow tank only.  If you do, you are only hurting yourself; she has rather good armour and with your speed, you can easily get to a flank and then push from the flank with your guns at maybe 30 degrees or so to your enemy so you can bounce shells and yet keep all guns on target, the speed boost really does help get to the flank and throwing off other people since your going faster than they think you are.  If you play only bow on, you will run the risk of getting outflanked and you do not want to turn and run.    She is a great boat to push with, packs good punch and is so much better than the Dunkerque at their respective tiers.  I have aiming systems mod on mine.  

Pete

Beta Testers
236 posts
5,819 battles

I sail bow on to enemy at 1/4 speed at start of match sniping, when all enemy positions are spotted I speed up and bow in at enemy at midranges and use my speed to find flanking spot. My build is secondary/AA with premium commander with so more damage I take faster reload I get with selected skill. Good ship and I do well in her but she is no Lyon. 

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles
2 hours ago, Doomlock said:

As long as you can accept the overpen nature of her AP on most cruisers.  I find it a trait of all of the high-tier French battleships.....crazy AP penetration.

[REVY]
Members
6,019 posts
5,102 battles

IFHE would be useful for getting those 100mm guns to actually do damage while staying bow-on, but the priority of the skill should be very low, among the last skill to get.

[H_]
Members
217 posts
6,999 battles

So played a few games, nothing spectacular so far, decent by my accounts but probably poor vs. others stats.. I do like the boat, I have changed to "aiming systems mod 1"  and big difference .   Grinding at the moment to get the Hull B upgrade. 

Still figuring it out though, keep getting to deep in  or cut off from other team mates.. Love the fact you can Cit a NC at 18k though..

So thanks for the advice.. Still trying to be cautious with it, did get to do some tanking with it, faired pretty well actually.  But got nuked by a DD coming around an island, I actually think all 8 of his torps hit me.  :) 

Lot's more to learn that is for sure. It's a keeper.

• Cool 1