You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

What playing a Yamato reveals to you

50 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Picked her up last Friday, due to the increased xp conversion rate. Between my fXP stash and some purchased doubloons,  I ended up paying about $25 for her. I felt this was worth it as (probably mentioned elsewhere) I'd bought/sold the Izumo four times. Yes, four times. Some grinds - seriously - are simply too much of a grind for a non-premium time, "free based" player. 

She's fully spec'd with a 19pt commander. In just 19 battles I see only a sixteen percent win rate. Ouch. I am however still learning to aim her... On my computer, it seems I need to aim slightly lower on the reds than with any other ship I have played. IWBN if all ships aimed the same but I suppose that's part of their charm, right? So I am not the greatest Yamato player by a long shot. 

What I am seeing though is two things - how your team reacts to a Yamato and how the reds react. Your team will, quite a lot of times, rally around you. After all your ship's this big, honkin' piece of legendary ship, right... able to leap tall building by just lifting a single barrel. She does deliver some spectacular hits on reds... I've had over 35K out of a single hit. So the greens tend to linger around your ship, at least in the vicinity far more than my GK. 

Reds of course have two responses... one is to come right at you, the other is turn around and literally, run like Hades. Which is funny either way, you know? 

I'm pretty sure by the time I get near fifty matches I'll be dialed into her quirks and her guns. She's a heckuva ship, no doubt about it. Personally... her guns are the only guns in the game that sound like main batteries, to my ears at least. Man they sound beastly. :cap_haloween:She's worth it just for the SOUND of her guns. 

But back to the point... i'm trying to push her forward more than most people... quite often i see other BBs doing the camping meta. Yamato, with a 30km range using spotters can almost fire anywhere, on most maps, without moving much. So I sort of understand the temptation to lay back and toss AP Volkswagen at the reds. 

What surprised me though is how clearly you can see that game style (meta?) when you are driving a Yamato, far more clearly and evident than say in a GK.But I also see - still - at the start of a match, off go the dd and cruisers to battle. Cruisers immediately fire on the red's BBs... they toss a few at dd's but mostly they go for cruisers. It really is obvious when you drive the Yamato because for the most part, you have to hang back to avoid those torp-firing dd's. 

I play cruisers a good portion of my game time. I try very hard to kill destroyers. So I'd like to ask, "why don't cruisers prioritize destroyers as their number one target - always?"

tiafyc

[WOLF5]
Members
1,498 posts
2,069 battles

The answer to the last question is simple. CAs are a lot easier to hit than DDs.

Yamatos are scary. I really hate fighting against them. Angle as much as I want, eventually something is going to penetrate and really hurt. BBs have presence, the Yamato has a lot of presence. The last enemy ship being a half HP Yamato is a lot scarier than a half HP, say, gearing even if the DD is harder to kill.

Members
1,552 posts
9,834 battles

Yamato is my most favorite ship to burn down with Conqueror.  It burns crispy to extra crispy depending on my settings. Never encountered a Yamato I had to run from. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SINK]
Members
668 posts
2,458 battles

Sold Izumo once being 150k away from Yamy and now i'm playin her only with hull C upgraded. Today or tomorrow i'm finally getting Yamato after started playing the line since december 2015 (free to play grind :D). More than 2 years to get her!

Btw, cruisers fire at bbs cos they are easy to hit. Only if those dds are within 10km they will start firing at them. That's from my experience and what i saw.

Cheers

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,484 battles

I don’t pay Yammys any particular attention. If they are the best target I’ll shoot them, if there are better targets I’ll shoot those instead. 

Any BB will lay on a ton of hurt eventually. Yammy, in the big picture,  is nothing special. Yea it has its LOLpen, but it’s hardly the only ship that gets, “How the **** did that pen?” Shots. 

My team has lost plenty of games by focusing a Yammy while the “lesser” enemy ships were much better targets and in much better positions to shoot at us. 

[VX9]
Beta Testers
323 posts
3,730 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

My team has lost plenty of games by focusing a Yammy while the “lesser” enemy ships were much better targets and in much better positions to shoot at us. 

Sadly accurate. I've lost count of how many games I've been focused early on by a gaggle of enemy cruisers, only for my team to faceroll them after I die. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
22 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Yamato is my most favorite ship to burn down with Conqueror.  It burns crispy to extra crispy depending on my settings. Never encountered a Yamato I had to run from. 

Huh. I've never encountered a conq my yamato didn't overmatch

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,223 posts
3,871 battles

Speaking as a destroyer player, the idea that cruisers rarely shoot at spotted destroyers makes me laugh.

• Cool 4

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,484 battles
14 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Speaking as a destroyer player, the idea that cruisers rarely shoot at spotted destroyers makes me laugh.

It is pretty funny. 

[-K-]
Members
5,108 posts
8,970 battles
15 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Also, more respect given to an effective Yamato captain than an effective Conqueror captain, all things being equal.  Yamato takes skill to excel in, whereas Conqueror is easy-mode almost all the time.

• Cool 2

Members
1,552 posts
9,834 battles
33 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Well, there's lots of bad Conqueror players.  Bow to bow it's no contest. Yamato can't dish out the same damage as the fires it's trying to put out. 

Just about every Yamato I've come across burns off all of it's HP and dies. Either by Conqueror or CAs and gunboats. I rarely see them get destroyed by AP.

Members
332 posts
3,394 battles

I usually prioritize DDs no matter which ship I'm in, but especially if I'm in my cruisers.  The problem is once I start shooting red DDs, the red CL/CA and BB tend to shoot me.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,704 posts
3,468 battles

Cruisers tend to shoot at BBs because DDs are a hard target at most ranges, and BBs present the biggest threat and easiest target.

Cruisers are stuck in an odd middle ground in the current meta.

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,365 posts

Yamato's mystique comes from her guns. Not only do they have the hardest hitting shells, and not only are they the most accurate BB guns in the game by far (2.1 sigma, best in the game), but her shells are the only ones in the game that can penetrate high tier BB bows and citadel them through the nose. This makes her a giant threat to other BBs. And her crazy accuracy means that in the hands of someone with really good aim, she can reliably lay down the hurt. Never ever shoot HE on this ship. You simply don't need to.

But because of her amazing guns, Yamato has a substantial number of drawbacks:

- Her citadel is not only raised high above the waterline, but also has this weird octagon shape. This means that even angled (but not enough for autobounce), anyone aiming just in front of her guns can and will land citadel hits where other BBs can just bounce everything. This is very annoying as it means she can't bring all her guns to bear much of the time. I'm sure there's an optimal angle for her that's different from other BBs, but I personally have not found it yet. If anyone has suggestions here, let me know. I personally wish her citadel would be dropped to the waterline like all the other tier 10 BBs (although keep the octogon).

- Her AA is really bad. It's decent at extreme close range, but strike aircraft will typically be able to drop their entire payload most of the time. Carriers LOVE attacking this ship. Thankfully, Yamato has a great torpedo belt, but I wouldn't depend on it to save you from carrier strikes.

- Her guns rotate painfully slow. This combined with her very fragile citadel means she absolutely cannot brawl.

All of the above means that Yamato absolutely needs team support at all times. If she's left alone, she will die in a hurry. If there's a Yamato on your team, do not abandon her ever. But if Yamato finds a good spot to camp in where her sides are protected, BBs will be really sheepish about pushing towards her. She's a hugely intimidating deterrent.

Yamato is absolutely not for everyone. She does one thing very very well, and just kinda sucks otherwise. Also, yes, because she's perceived as a big threat, she'll be focused hard.

Edited by KaptainKaybe
  • Cool 2

[R-F1]
Members
507 posts
21,626 battles

I have 70% wins with the glorious Yamato.  I sold it when I got the Musashi, and regret it, mostly because ranked is tier 10 this season.  

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
426 posts
18,363 battles

I recently sold my Yammy to pick up some other ships. I found that I would rather play my French Republique. Just my Preference. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,042 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I play cruisers a good portion of my game time. I try very hard to kill destroyers. So I'd like to ask, "why don't cruisers prioritize destroyers as their number one target - always?"

I am a Cruiser Main, with Battleships being a somewhat close second in Battles Played for me.

I prioritize Destroyers in every ship I use.  For a Cruiser it depends the same way as it is on my Battleship.  Range to the DD threat.  16km shots against a Shimakaze or fast sailing Khabarovsk is very hard to do unless they're stationary, i.e. the scrub that didn't take Last Stand, caught sitting still in smoke, etc.

With my ships, especially Cruisers, I would love nothing more than to close range to an expected DD threat, and harass, attack the DD threat(s) in the area.  I'd love nothing more than to take my Des Moines and make life hell for the DDs, pushing them back.

But that's the problem.  Easier said than done.  Unless there are islands around where a Cruiser can more safely creep closer to a Hot DD Threat Area, the Cruiser in open water looking for DDs is in a very dangerous position.  The DDs will easily outspot the Cruiser.  Once the Cruiser is spotted, then the BBs and other ships start shooting at that Cruiser.  Cruiser is ded.  At high tier, that can be instantaneous.

As long as the threat of Battleships persist, the threat of BB - Cruiser Focus Fire exists, Cruisers pushing and prioritizing against Destroyers is unfeasible.  This is why the presence of Battleships at decently close enough ranges are absolutely crucial for Destroyers to do their best work.  The threat of Big Guns scares off the Cruisers.  I can't push my DM if the BBs will crush me, and there's no islands nearby.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Nicely written @HazeGrayUnderway I'm trying to slightly break the camper meta with my new Yamato... I'm not nearly as upfront with her as my GK but man oh man... I suspect it's a good thing she's such a bear to get to... 

I understand having the BBs forward... early game I try for the radar cruisers or any ship close to where green dds are going. If nothing else, a Yamato firing on them early in the match, well, seems to tell them maybe another location would be better. I do have to say the quality of ship handling has gone up in the last year... I'm seeing fewer cruisers doing the straight line rocket express to the bottom. Shame tho.. it's really fun taking them out of the match. 

7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Once the Cruiser is spotted, then the BBs and other ships start shooting at that Cruiser.  Cruiser is ded.  At high tier, that can be instantaneous.

You stated this so precisely  I realized that I, when playing BB, am doing exactly that... look for cruisers then BB's... mainly because the BBs are further back and not as much of a threat. 

Sort of a conundrum then... because it seems, at least to me, if DDs don't get taken out in the first third of a match, their lethality increases, sometimes drastically. 

Members
511 posts
2,844 battles
9 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Only when they're your cruisers it feels like.

Go into cap, proxy spot eachother, get deleted by enemy cruiser support while your cruisers are sailing around honking at each other going "good day, good day, and a good day to you too".

• Funny 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,974 posts
6,460 battles
11 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Picked her up last Friday, due to the increased xp conversion rate. Between my fXP stash and some purchased doubloons,  I ended up paying about $25 for her. I felt this was worth it as (probably mentioned elsewhere) I'd bought/sold the Izumo four times. Yes, four times. Some grinds - seriously - are simply too much of a grind for a non-premium time, "free based" player. 

She's fully spec'd with a 19pt commander. In just 19 battles I see only a sixteen percent win rate. Ouch. I am however still learning to aim her... On my computer, it seems I need to aim slightly lower on the reds than with any other ship I have played. IWBN if all ships aimed the same but I suppose that's part of their charm, right? So I am not the greatest Yamato player by a long shot. 

What I am seeing though is two things - how your team reacts to a Yamato and how the reds react. Your team will, quite a lot of times, rally around you. After all your ship's this big, honkin' piece of legendary ship, right... able to leap tall building by just lifting a single barrel. She does deliver some spectacular hits on reds... I've had over 35K out of a single hit. So the greens tend to linger around your ship, at least in the vicinity far more than my GK. 

Reds of course have two responses... one is to come right at you, the other is turn around and literally, run like Hades. Which is funny either way, you know? 

I'm pretty sure by the time I get near fifty matches I'll be dialed into her quirks and her guns. She's a heckuva ship, no doubt about it. Personally... her guns are the only guns in the game that sound like main batteries, to my ears at least. Man they sound beastly. :cap_haloween:She's worth it just for the SOUND of her guns. 

But back to the point... i'm trying to push her forward more than most people... quite often i see other BBs doing the camping meta. Yamato, with a 30km range using spotters can almost fire anywhere, on most maps, without moving much. So I sort of understand the temptation to lay back and toss AP Volkswagen at the reds. 

What surprised me though is how clearly you can see that game style (meta?) when you are driving a Yamato, far more clearly and evident than say in a GK.But I also see - still - at the start of a match, off go the dd and cruisers to battle. Cruisers immediately fire on the red's BBs... they toss a few at dd's but mostly they go for cruisers. It really is obvious when you drive the Yamato because for the most part, you have to hang back to avoid those torp-firing dd's. 

tiafyc

i have a Musashi, does this count? if so then i think im going to like Yamato ALOT

[NBB]
Members
488 posts
2,315 battles

The meta exists for a reason. I don't know if tier 10 bb's have better guns than the Iowa, but after one gets tired of lolautobounce, one slings HE exclusively at Yamato. One also gets tired of lolpen. Like people said, the Yamato seems op and it's quite nerve wracking to be shot at by a yammy. I've tried to ram them a few times, but I don't recall if I ever succeeded. Usually their team protects them, and if not, they can nuke someone down from a long way off. Recently with the cit bug I've gotten an odd cit here and there on yammys. Before that, I only remember bounces. But if I'm shooting at a yammy with the Iowa, my team is not doing well.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts
11 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Just about every Yamato I've come across burns off all of it's HP and dies. Either by Conqueror or CAs and gunboats. I rarely see them get destroyed by AP.

I dunno. There's quite a few Yammy players who find a Monty and park nose into it, going nah-nah I can pen you and you bounce off me... whilst half way across the map a Bismark thinks hmmm, you dont really need ALL those citadels do you.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,482 battles
16 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

The answer to the last question is simple. CAs are a lot easier to hit than DDs.

Yamatos are scary. I really hate fighting against them. Angle as much as I want, eventually something is going to penetrate and really hurt. BBs have presence, the Yamato has a lot of presence. The last enemy ship being a half HP Yamato is a lot scarier than a half HP, say, gearing even if the DD is harder to kill.

Just burn them down. Fire makes them sink. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,482 battles
5 hours ago, 44_percenter said:

The meta exists for a reason. I don't know if tier 10 bb's have better guns than the Iowa, but after one gets tired of lolautobounce, one slings HE exclusively at Yamato. One also gets tired of lolpen. Like people said, the Yamato seems op and it's quite nerve wracking to be shot at by a yammy. I've tried to ram them a few times, but I don't recall if I ever succeeded. Usually their team protects them, and if not, they can nuke someone down from a long way off. Recently with the cit bug I've gotten an odd cit here and there on yammys. Before that, I only remember bounces. But if I'm shooting at a yammy with the Iowa, my team is not doing well.

Believe it or not. If you get a rear shot at a Yamato, it can pen the citadel, if you penetrate right spot :Smile_teethhappy: