You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

I’m a DD main, and I still think the Asashio is utterly broken

73 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,357 battles

This ship is still utterly broken. The “nerfs” WG gave it do nothing. It still mercilessly slaughters battleships and is complete garbage against everything else. Isn’t that obviously not the best game balance strategy, of making a ship so ridiculously overpowered, but only against 1 class? I gotta ask the devs, were you high when designing this thing? This makes already passive battleships even more scared to push out, and I can’t blame them when this ship exists. Instead of creating proper, balanced Japanese torpedoes, WG instead doubles down on their nerfs and creates this gimmicky nightmare. While the recent air detection buffs are great for regular Japanese DDs, it just makes the asashio even more broken. It’s not fun to play against, doesn’t contribute much to the team, has no real counterplay, has no skill curve, and is only good for padding damage per game stats. How is that good ship balance? How? 

Its not, at all. This ship makes me sick, and it reeks of OP gimmick designs like the Belfast. It’s a shame that it will be released like this. While I don’t think it will break the game, I think it is still bad for the overall meta, and is just another example of proper balance and gameplay being sacrificed to help sell more hype. WG still has not learned their lesson. 

I love this game, and while I would call myself a dd main, I still play and do well in the other classes, except CVs. BB players are justified in being upset by this ship, and DD and cruiser mains should also be appalled by this turd sandwich of game design. It’s just not a well designed ship, it’s as simple as that. The asashio will just hurt the game, it won’t offer any benefit except to WG’s wallet. This ship, and the bad news coming out about the US cruiser split, really makes me worry about the health of this game. 

I know that posting a forum rant about this isn’t gonna change anything, but it’s at least a way to let me cope with this. I know that in the end it’s just a game, and this ship won’t impact it a huge amount, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t object to an absolutely broken ship being introduced. I just hope that someone at WG will hear what I have to say and at least consider this criticism that comes out of genuine concern for this game that I love. 

• Cool 12
  • Boring 6

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

And if it never changed, the rant would be about WG releasing clone premiums. :Smile_sceptic:

• Funny 3

Members
61 posts
741 battles

Is this ship even for sale right now. What am I missing? It doesn't show up in the premium shop, so what's all the crying about?

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,514 battles
41 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Content Moderated by HeadlockMvnky

Dude, it's a tier 8. Tier 9 and 10 BBs will still see it, and it can still murder them. I'm a DD main who very rarely gets torped in BBs because I know how to WASD and have good instincts for where DDs will be and when to expect torps, and I still ate two Asashio torps im my Republique from a tester. It's a hard counter to stupid BB players,  and a definite threat even to not stupid ones. 

Also, bypassing the profanity filters like you did is a violation of forum rules and will get you banhammered if you keep doing it.  The mods haven't been playing around lately. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Pretty sure she is pretty difficult to play right. Ofc when she goes for sale everyone will be like OMG Nerf OP, but after a while everyone gets used to it.

[ICOP]
Members
777 posts
3,090 battles

How is the Asashio any different from PA DD's with DWT?  Oh wait it has bad guns, worse smoke and can only hit 2/3 the targets of a PA DD with better concealment.

Perhaps the issue people is it has torps which hit like a runaway freight train.

Members
884 posts
6,909 battles
1 minute ago, Junostorm said:

How is the Asashio any different from PA DD's with DWT?  Oh wait it has bad guns, worse smoke and can only hit 2/3 the targets of a PA DD with better concealment.

Perhaps the issue people is it has torps which hit like a runaway freight train.

This right here. If asashio is so game breaking then why haven't people being saying anything about the yueyang?

[TASH]
Members
4,991 posts
7,885 battles

Cause one premium ship is going to break the entire meta...

You know, the same was said about Belfast literally making destroyers at mid-tiers unplayable when she was first teased and released, but there's still plenty of destroyers running around there.

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
9 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Pretty sure she is pretty difficult to play right.

No, that's a small misconception.

Asashio is an incredibly easy, possibly one of the easiest ships in the game to play.

However, utilizing all her strengths as a ship, requires good play.

When people talk about skill or hard to play in Asashio, they are referring to people using her to contest capture points and playing such objectives.

What people do not like about Asashio is her torps, these require less skill than installing the game does to use, and has very little counterplay for her enemies, outside of sitting 20km away from the lolibote.

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,660 battles
36 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

And if it never changed, the rant would be about WG releasing clone premiums. :Smile_sceptic:

I mean, if they intended to release a Kagero class premium...why they don't use Yukikaze is beyond me...

They missed an opportunity to make it special, giving it multiple hulls and different armaments from the original IJN retrofit to her refit as Tan Yang serving the Chinese Nationalists Navy, being able to train both Pan Asian and Japanese captains...

image.thumb.png.e6ba1a7f531535c46763fa1526a448aa.pngRelated image

Spoiler

I know, Tan Yang does not have any torpedoes, but I'm sure WG can make something up. Give her Benson or Mahan torpedoes maybe? Or perhaps just any torpedoes inferior to the original Kagero torps since this ship should possess superior artillery power.

Especially the JP WoWs server is making its debut, and Yukikaze is arguably the most famous IJN destroyer...

image.png

Edited by The_first_harbinger

Beta Testers
1,288 posts
3,583 battles

I apologize for my outburst I am little bit annoyed over this new ship and it will be in my best interest to invest in secondary builds from now on.

• Cool 1

Members
200 posts
4,136 battles

REMEMBER - Asashio is WHAT the entire IJN was BEFORE the torpedo spotting nerfs... but now you can finally... RE-PURCHASE with MONEY the glory of the old days of the 20km walls of skill but now at T8 and with torpedo reload boost and a 5.4km conceal!  Dont forget you can outspot other DDs in caps as well as devastate capital ships.

They simply for free couls have unnerfed the torpedos but they need some $$ for more BB premiums....

And lets not lie -an IJN DD caught by an enemy gunboat DD wouldnt have won anyway so the deep water torps unable to hit enemy Gunbote DDs is a moot point.

[SIM]
Members
2,429 posts
4,060 battles

Wargaming wants to coerce people that enjoy playing battleships into playing something else. Fortunately for them, there are no battleships in Far Cry 5, so hey, it worked on me! :Smile-_tongue:

But in all seriousness, I actually enjoy playing CLs more than BBs, and could easily just start running my Belfast, Makarov, and Kutuzov for a while, but no. This ship is a ham-fisted attempt by a semi-competent developer to punish players for enjoying their game in the “wrong” way. I like World of Warships quite a bit, but honestly this entire affair has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just can’t see myself staying with this game much longer. It sucks, but then again, it’s not like there aren’t plenty of other games out there vying for my money and attention.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,156 posts
3,867 battles

As an IJN destroyer player, I feel like Asashio's kind of pointless.

When you run out of battleships, you're basically sunk yourself, because you're not even winning a gunfight against other Japanese destroyers.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,031 battles

Brokenly bad, that is. 

Again, the ONLY BBs the torps will hit are the ones camping in the middle of no where and far from their allies. These BBs are useless to start with. Asashio's pretty much useless in all other regards. 

We are talking about a Kagero that can only hit 1/4 of the original targets. Kagero currently has barely 25000 average damage per game. Asashio's brokenly bad.

Edited by NeutralState

[SUCIT]
Members
772 posts
3,493 battles
41 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

This right here. If asashio is so game breaking then why haven't people being saying anything about the yueyang?

Because the Yueyang doesn't have 20km torps that can only hit BB's and the rare CV.  The Yueyang is only unable to hit DDs.  Your torps can still hit 2/3+ of most teams.  The Asashio can only hit 1/3 or less of any given team, which is just not good gameplay design.  

Members
884 posts
6,909 battles
2 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Because the Yueyang doesn't have 20km torps that can only hit BB's and the rare CV.  The Yueyang is only unable to hit DDs.  Your torps can still hit 2/3+ of most teams.  The Asashio can only hit 1/3 or less of any given team, which is just not good gameplay design.  

So what you're saying is that the asashio can't do anything that other ships already do better. So what's the problem then? This game has plenty of weak and gimmicky premium ships, what's wrong with one more?