You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Lowvolts

Please remove CV's from the game for now

53 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts
895 battles

Had another game where my CA was simply erased by 2 Torp squads and 1 Bomb squad in the first 3 mins of the game.  I was with a DD capping so we were firing like crazy at the planes together.  I'm sick of not getting to play a game I'm spending money on simply because the Dev's won't correct an obvious problem with game play.  It is NO FUN to be erased from the game so early by an attacker I can't even see.  Nor is it fun to be a helpless target.  I hope the Dev's truly understand that CV's are RUINING the game for those of us who want to play a game where we shoot at each other with big guns.  THAT is what I signed up for.  Not this turkey shoot they have created with run away OP CV's.  Please do SOMETHING Dev's.  I don't know what else to say.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 15

[SVF]
Members
903 posts
1,282 battles

What CA were you playing?  What was the CV?

Also, why were you capping with a DD so early in the match?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,338 posts
3,669 battles

Defensive fire is your friend for such cases. Also as said above, why go cap in a cruiser that early...

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,336 posts
9,309 battles

Sure, a well-played CV can delete many ships with little way to prevent it.  However, this doesn't happen very often.  How many games have a CV?  How many kills do those CV's typically get in each game?  The chances of them deleting you in a game is fairly small.

It has been hinted that CV's are undergoing a significant change later this year.  This was promised last year, as well, and never materialized, so we shall see if it actually happens, and if it will make an impact.

• Cool 2

Members
12 posts
895 battles

Your questions imply that there was something a certain CA could do in that situation.  There is not.  I don't know which CV did it.  Why would that matter either?  The outcome was the outcome.  Broken, unfair and no fun.

• Bad 2

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles
Just now, Lowvolts said:

Your questions imply that there was something a certain CA could do in that situation.  There is not.  I don't know which CV did it.  Why would that matter either?  The outcome was the outcome.  Broken, unfair and no fun.

Because certain CAs have good AA and will deter CVs from attacking it usually, or can help destroy planes should they come towards it.

Another thing is from what I can read, You put yourself in a vulnerable spot by capping alongside a DD so early.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,338 posts
3,669 battles
3 minutes ago, Lowvolts said:

Fair enough, which cruiser were you in?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,338 posts
3,669 battles
1 minute ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

Because certain CAs have good AA and will deter CVs from attacking it usually, or can help destroy planes should they come towards it.

Another thing is from what I can read, You put yourself in a vulnerable spot by capping alongside a DD so early.

Its not even the need for good AA, just using DF to panic the drop can give you fairly good chances of evading most damage and having the CV waste an attack on you.

Beta Testers
656 posts
6,067 battles

How u use a cv. From what he is telling use he's the worst CV's and asking WG to delete them. Not going to happen. It part of the game already.

I bet plays like every other player who what to dominate the sky than to have no strategy.

As for me I'm 50/50 plus a little time attack with TB.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,227 posts
6,433 battles

Meanwhile my planes get shredded en-masse in Shokaku, where even the Destroyers run AA builds... Is that an Akizuki? planes melt away Nope, a Gearing in smoke running DF...

All I want is to learn and improve my CV capabilities (which I consider average at best), removing the CVs from the game would not help me with that Task.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,855 posts

Considering your low battle count, I'm guessing it has more to do with your lack of experience on how to counter CVs. If you want help, just ask as many of us have plenty of experience dealing with CVs.

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
382 posts
22,762 battles

OP,

You have less than 400 battles.  With such a low number there is no way one would expect you to do well against a skilled CV driver.  

You have pushed up only one cruiser line and do not have a tier 8 cruiser as yet.  Your IJN cruisers have very poor AA.

I am hoping your sense of time is way off as it is near impossible for a cruiser to get in a cap AND be deleted by planes within 3 minutes.  

Carriers are a valued and valid part of the game.  Taking into account your obvious lack of game experience/skill your call to remove them falls on deaf ears and makes yourself look...poorly.

There is a learning curve.  As my friend Wiz says, "You need time in the boat".

Want to get better faster?  Find division mates or a clan.  Their feedback and assistance is valuable. 

Sabene

• Cool 2

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,199 battles

Am honest question:

If you were hit by a devastating strike from a battleship outside your range would you be upset?

If you were hit by a devastating strike of torpedoes from an unseen destroyer would you be upset?

I mean really, any ship has the potential to detonate you and many have the damage potential to at least remove large portions of your HP

Edited by Spieges
  • Cool 4

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
8,176 battles

Hmm No,

the game was working perfectly, examine your own issues not the CV for pulling off a good attack.

Thanks though for posting because now 25 of us can help you understand what you might have done differently.

there are about a dozen videos on you tube on how to play CVs, watch these and you will see how to avoid dying early.

Of course you were not as unfortunate as the guy last night in clan battles who was not flying a Detention flag. He went down in one shot and his team was gone shortly there after.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,223 posts
8,804 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Sure, a well-played CV can delete many ships with little way to prevent it.  However, this doesn't happen very often.  How many games have a CV?  How many kills do those CV's typically get in each game?  The chances of them deleting you in a game is fairly small.

It has been hinted that CV's are undergoing a significant change later this year.  This was promised last year, as well, and never materialized, so we shall see if it actually happens, and if it will make an impact.

This, if you run into one of the few really good CV players the only defense is to not be the target. Against average or less CV players AA and maneuvering will defeat or at least limit the damage.

[WAG]
Members
379 posts
7,274 battles
56 minutes ago, Spieges said:

Am honest question:

If you were hit by a devastating strike from a battleship outside your range would you be upset?

If you were hit by a devastating strike of torpedoes from an unseen destroyer would you be upset?

I mean really, any ship has the potential to detonate you and many have the damage potential 

You beat me to it. I have deleted cruisers with a single salvo (devestating strike) with battleships in the first few minutes, opening up while still undetected. I run stealth builds on all my ships, and have enough Elite Commander XP that I never play a ship with less than a 10 point captain, so always have concealment expert. I feel a little guilty, since I hate when it happens to me, but that's what happens when you sail in straight lines at constant speed.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Came across the same CV player in a few games who nuked every time the complete enemy team. Something with Sophia was the account ID.

I do agree some what with OP. You are usually just screwed when your own CV is a complete potatoe.

Edit: Perhaps increase the amount of players per battle, with a new CV limit of 3 per team. Slightly lower the damage of planes and make DF unlimited. The more CVs in a game makes it more average. Would increase teamsize with +5.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[TASH]
Members
4,996 posts
7,919 battles

Evidently this guy thinks because he threw money at the developers he deserves to have a voice higher than the rest of us.

[O_O]
Members
787 posts
4,736 battles

I believe that I've managed to fight off the temptation to post a snarky Inigo Montoya meme.

The fact of the matter is that you'd gotten yourself in to a situation for which you weren't prepared.  That is probably partly the developer's fault because they don't have a great (or any) tutorial or effayque system, and partly your own because there are endless threads in these very forums which discuss CV/AA tactics.  

Low and mid-tier Japanese CAs are especially vulnerable to a good carrier player, and you stumbled into the perfect storm there in that one match.  Right now that one match is not an insignificant fraction of your entire playing experience with this game, so I get it; that sucks.  I will offer this, though; keep at it.  Keep playing those cruisers (people keep telling me they're a great line, I keep staring at my shinynew, 0-match Ibuki and thinking "Nope nope nope, gon' play Roon instead.") and adjust your play style to your circumstances. 

If there are no carriers, push in close and vigorously support your DDs.  If there are carriers, your DDs should also play less aggressively because they'll almost certainly be spotted and neutralized early on.  Be more conservative in the early stages of the game and let attrition do its dirty work.  You'll still find plenty of opportunity there, and learn the very important arts of ranged support and kiting.  They take time and patience, but can be much more effective than a blitz push in the long run.

Ultimately this game is very frustrating, until something falls into place mentally.  There are several great resources for learning the tips and tricks of playing any ship of any type in this game (including even Krispy Kreme and Huang Meh.  If you look really hard.)

-R

• Cool 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

his next thread will be "i broadside for a bb and get deleted in 3 min of game, remove bbs from the game!"

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles

In the spirit of fairness,  I am going to give you advice on beating a CV first and see if you decide to take that advice.

First off,  being in a cruiser you're already two steps ahead of everyone else.  You don't have as much maneuverability as a DD but you have a lot more AA than most.  First I'll cover tactics to use without spending any captain skills or mounting any equipment but keep in mind that every additional thing you do will make CV's that much less of a danger to you.

First off,  start turning INTO the planes the second you think you're being targeted.  DO NOT JUST CONTINUE SAILING IN A STRAIGHT LINE.  This is the same as not showing your broadside to a BB.  Cruiser pending your ship reaction time will vary but so long as you notice at five or six km out you should have enough time to get into position.  Press control and left click on the TORPEDO squadron to focus your fire on it. If there are multiple,  pick the closest.  If you're being cross dropped its going to depend on your cruiser.  If you've got something super nippy like say an RN CL then you might be able to jerk it back over into the second drop and force a few duds from it.  Otherwise keep turning.  A good cross dropper will still nip you with one or two.  If you're facing a great cross dropper though your mileage is going to vary.  But for about 80% of the CV captains you face this is going to negate most of the damage they can do to you.

Now for modules.  If they are giving you that much trouble, run Defensive Fire.  Combine that with the above evasive maneuvers and you'll not only negate most if not all of the damage they can deal to you,  but you'll also deal a lot of damage to their flight groups.  One of the best ways to take yourself off of the target list of a CV captain is to prove dangerous to drop on.

Now for captain skills.  Basic Firing Training,  Advanced Firing Training,  and Manual AA are your winning combo here.  More range and much more DPS on your long range AA so  long as you control click the target.  Now any smart CV is going to see your advanced range and see their planes dropping out of the sky and are going to avoid you until they don't have a better target.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,357 battles

Ok, I understand your frustration, but please play CVs before you ask for their removal. Cvs are difficult, extremely challenging, and actually feel balanced when you are the one playing them. Surface ships see only a small fraction of the game CVS are playing, only when you play them can you see the effort required to pull off that devastating nuke.

• Cool 3

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,691 battles
22 minutes ago, megadeux said:

Ok, I understand your frustration, but please play CVs before you ask for their removal. Cvs are difficult, extremely challenging, and actually feel balanced when you are the one playing them. Surface ships see only a small fraction of the game CVS are playing, only when you play them can you see the effort required to pull off that devastating nuke.

pretty much hit the nail on the head with that, while ships only have a couple things to do i.e aim and shoot, CV are doing many things at once while still  looking at the mini map to see where there needed, where the enemy planes are, how close there strike planes are to target to change to those planes to do manual drop.

threre a lot harder to play then people think and more involved 

Members
12 posts
895 battles
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, Spieges said:

Am honest question:

I mean really, any ship has the potential to detonate you and many have the damage potential to at least remove large portions of your HP

Your reply does not apply here.  I have been one shotted by BB's and each time I made a bad call to not maneuver to avoid that fate.  I have been one shotted by DD torps too.  Again, my mistake put me in such a position.  But if you win the lottery and a CV decides your time is up there is NOTHING you can do to avoid it.  You are simply dead.  No amount of cowering, maneuvering or prayer will save you.  And before you tell me to stick with other ships for AA protection understand this.  In PUG's like we play in for WOWS it is nearly impossible to find other players to even sail in the same direction let alone stay close together for mutual protection.  Agent Smith was right when he said there was no escaping the inevitable.  

• Boring 1