You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

Number of Battles to Tier X

21 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,964 battles

I was in low tier game today and I was surprised at how much teammates would chat. There were 2 new players asking about best lines to try to go up and how many games it would take. I told them a bit about the USN Cruiser line split and how they were going for me. After the game, I found an old spreadsheet I had made and took some time updating it today with the NA server averages for each tier in each nation to find a rough estimate of how many games for each tier.These are the results. Feel free to ask about any ship if you are curious. I have all of them, this is just easier. 

This uses server averages so it is just a rough estimate assuming you unlock every module and do not need to grind for silver. Keep in mind premium time, flags, camouflage, first win bonus, and your personal skill level will effect the number of battles for you in particular. 

Spoiler

Fastest Tier X: Yueyang

Slowest Tier X: Montana

Average Battles to Tier X: 760

Full List:

Spoiler
Name Battles
Montana 917
Des Moines 778
Gearing 762
Yamato 839
Zao 749
Shimakaze 770
Moskva 710
Khabarovsk 739
Grozovoi 712
Großer Kurfürst 907
Hindenburg 767
Z-52 693
Conqueror 806
Minotaur 716
Yueyang 623
Henri IV 755
République 666

• Cool 6

[ARRGG]
Members
4,676 posts
7,503 battles
4 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I was in low tier game today and I was surprised at how much teammates would chat. There were 2 new players asking about best lines to try to go up and how many games it would take. I told them a bit about the USN Cruiser line split and how they were going for me. After the game, I found an old spreadsheet I had made and took some time updating it today with the NA server averages for each tier in each nation to find a rough estimate of how many games for each tier.These are the results. Feel free to ask about any ship if you are curious. I have all of them, this is just easier. 

This uses server averages so it is just a rough estimate assuming you unlock every module and do not need to grind for silver. Keep in mind premium time, flags, camouflage, first win bonus, and your personal skill level will effect the number of battles for you in particular. 

Hide contents

Fastest Tier X: Yueyang

Slowest Tier X: Montana

Average Battles to Tier X: 760

Full List:

Hide contents
Name Battles
Montana 917
Des Moines 778
Gearing 762
Yamato 839
Zao 749
Shimakaze 770
Moskva 710
Khabarovsk 739
Grozovoi 712
Großer Kurfürst 907
Hindenburg 767
Z-52 693
Conqueror 806
Minotaur 716
Yueyang 623
Henri IV 755
République 666

Thanks for posting this, I’ve never actually thought about how many games it takes .. good to know

[XBRTC]
Members
1,202 posts
7,185 battles

Okay, so, that seems... very high.

My advancement was very scattered. I knew that I wanted to get DES MOINES first, but I played around with a couple of different lines before I really buckled down and focused on getting to T10 in the US cruisers.

The first column is how many battles I currently have in each of the listed ships. I did, however, continue to play ERIE, ST LOUIS, PHOENIX, OMAHA, CLEVELAND, and ATLANTA after moving on to the next tiers, so you'll notice that the second column has much lower numbers for those rows. That's what I'm guessing it actually took to move past those tiers. The ships where stuff is the same in both columns, I never went back to play those ships again after moving on.

I made it up to tier 7 before getting premium time or buying doubloons and converting free XP. I absolutely hated PENSACOLA after those first 4 battles, but I liked the game enough (and wanted DES MOINES badly enough) that I bought ATLANTA and doubloons and premium time to get past tier 7.

image.png.c7d017a24fd503257ef3eb1dd7173d35.png

TL;DR: I estimate that there were 171 games necessary to get me to my first Tier 10 ship. Certainly no more than 250 at an absolute outside max.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles
1 hour ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

TL;DR: I estimate that there were 171 games necessary to get me to my first Tier 10 ship. Certainly no more than 250 at an absolute outside max.

Do you use premium time?  I'm a non-premium player and my numbers are much higher than that.  I average over 200 games just to get through tiers 8 and 9 alone.

Checking my play numbers on some ships I'm pretty certain I sold right after unlocking the next tier, I find the following rough averages:

Tiers 1 - 5: About 30 games total.

Tiers 6 -7: About 100 games total.

Tier 8: About 95 games average.

Tier 9: About 125 games average.

Total to tier 10:  About 350 games.

I never purchase premium time so I only occasionally have it when WG hands out a freebie.  I do make use of exp boosting camos and flags to get through stock grinds faster but I usually don't continue using them after the ship is fully upgraded.  I usually only play each ship I'm grinding to the first win each day.  I exclusively play Random and I don't division.

Edited by Vaidency

[XBRTC]
Members
1,202 posts
7,185 battles
13 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Do you use premium time?  .

Answered above. Starting at T7, because I hated PENSACOLA just that much.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,964 battles
1 hour ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Okay, so, that seems... very high.

My advancement was very scattered. I knew that I wanted to get DES MOINES first, but I played around with a couple of different lines before I really buckled down and focused on getting to T10 in the US cruisers.

The first column is how many battles I currently have in each of the listed ships. I did, however, continue to play ERIE, ST LOUIS, PHOENIX, OMAHA, CLEVELAND, and ATLANTA after moving on to the next tiers, so you'll notice that the second column has much lower numbers for those rows. That's what I'm guessing it actually took to move past those tiers. The ships where stuff is the same in both columns, I never went back to play those ships again after moving on.

I made it up to tier 7 before getting premium time or buying doubloons and converting free XP. I absolutely hated PENSACOLA after those first 4 battles, but I liked the game enough (and wanted DES MOINES badly enough) that I bought ATLANTA and doubloons and premium time to get past tier 7.

image.png.c7d017a24fd503257ef3eb1dd7173d35.png

First off, I mention this is server average XP. This is not the boosted XP so this is the absolute minimum XP per game the average person could get not counting the daily bonus. You can read it as it will take you less than this if you want. However your estimate of 171 games is entirely off unless using nice camo, flags and premium. Here is why...

Spoiler
  Server Avg My Games
Erie 1 1
Chester 6 2
St Louis 16 12
Phoenix 34 27
Omaha 60 50
Cleveland 95 60
Pensacola 137 21
Nola 186 46
Baltimore Not counting 5 so far
Totals 535 219

They are significantly off after tier 6. At tier 6-8 I used premium time, flags, and camo. Currently a little tired of the grind and reached the end of the benefit of the split so I am taking a break. 

[XBRTC]
Members
1,202 posts
7,185 battles
1 hour ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

First off, I mention this is server average XP. This is not the boosted XP so this is the absolute minimum XP per game the average person could get not counting the daily bonus. You can read it as it will take you less than this if you want. However your estimate of 171 games is entirely off unless using nice camo, flags and premium. Here is why...

Hide contents

My guesswork may well be on the low side with respect to 3-6. But, I've only played 27 games in NEW ORLEANS and 31 in BALTIMORE. Ever. 3-6 were, admittedly, guesswork, and 7 I hated so much that I got ATLANTA and converted the XP from it with doubloons to avoid playing PENSACOLA. But, 1,3,4,5, 6, and ATLANTA all got significant play time even after I'd earned the next ship up from them, and the numbers are maxed out where they're at.

Actually, looking at at other lines more recently climbed, where no FXP was used and I didn't go back to the ship later to play more, my guesswork may be a bit low.

BELLEROPHON to ORION (T3-T4) took 5 battles.

ORION to IRON DUKE (T4-T5) took 21 battles.

FUSO to NAGATO (T6-T7) took 27 battles.

BISMARCK to FDG (T8-T9) took 44 battles (31 random + 13 ranked).

MAHAN to BENSON (T7-T8) took 36 battles.

NICHOLAS to FARRAGUT (T5-T6) took 35 battles.

But still, bumping up the estimates like that... it really shouldn't take that long to move up to T10.

Also, after T4 I pretty much always had camouflage of one sort or another.

[ASHIP]
Members
584 posts
5,218 battles

So, my first tier X was the desMoines. I got this without premium, without flags or camos, and I actually had to spend a fair number of battles grinding for credit rather than XP. It took me 648 battles to first get the desMoines. This includes 176 battles in just the Balti.

My next tier X was the Mino. I remember enjoying the RN CL line and generally taking it slow, but I think I had premium only for the last few months of the grind, but I did use premium camos most of the time. It took me 294 battles to reach the Minotaur.

My latest tier X is the Henri (unlocked just a few days ago :DDD). I didn't particularly enjoy the french line, so I used premium time, camos and some extra-XP flags for the whole grind, as well as free-XPing half of the Algerie. It took me 216 battles to reach tier X in this line.

PS: I just want to point out that DDs generally need less XP, while BBs need more in order to unlock the next ship in the line.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,496 battles

It takes me ROUGHLY 150-200 games to grind up from t1-t10 in any given line.  At just over 2000 battles I had 9 T10 ships without using really any free XP.  I'm at the point now though, where I have enough free XP to basically do anything I want, and I've been using that lately instead of grinding.  I just outright bought the Shimakaze last week from the Kagero because I wanted it, and will probably just do the same for the Zao.  

Members
17,795 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, Canadatron said:

31 games to finish T8? No f'n way. 

Took me 118 games on free acct to get through Hipper.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
11 hours ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I found an old spreadsheet I had made and took some time updating it today with the NA server averages

This is the key, of course. If you cannot play to server average XP, well, then you will be in each tier for longer. But the methodology is fully declared and appears sound.

Where did you source the server average XP's? Link, please?

[EQRN]
Members
308 posts
8,655 battles

Lots of variables, and the OP didn't post his criteria.  Did he free xp the upgrades or grind them out?  Premium acct?  Xp camo or signals?  Skip any upgrades?  For myself, I won't take a sub optimal ship into randoms, so I co-op the upgrades, then I'll take it into randoms.  So overall count, mine would be very high due to co op battles, but for random battles only, probably lower, and at tier 8 and 9 I'll use xp camo and signals.  I also only play a ship on a given day until I get the win bonus, then move to another ship if I have time.

Neptune, at 145k xp, (238k total to Minotaur), co op'd the upgrades, winter camo (the blue/green one),  only playing to first win bonus: 32 games.  So I'd expect around 60 games total to ding Minotaur.  Each previous tier would have been fewer games, Ed was 42, Fiji was 35.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Lots of variables, and the OP didn't post his criteria.  Did he free xp the upgrades or grind them out?

Go back and read the OP's post very carefully again.

Assumption #1 - every game brings in the NA server average for that ship at that tier.

Assumption #2 - all upgrades to guns, torpedoes, engines, fire control etc. are taken before the next ship is unlocked.

No free XP is mentioned.

It is up to you to see how this applies to your own play and whether you will take fewer or more games to get there.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,964 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is the key, of course. If you cannot play to server average XP, well, then you will be in each tier for longer. But the methodology is fully declared and appears sound.

Where did you source the server average XP's? Link, please?

I’ll have to look later when I get home to make sure but I’m pretty sure it was “warships.today”. There are individual XP listings per ship which I assume are only PvP.

For all others, no free XP is used and I include all modules because I don’t feel like sorting through which are required and are not. If you want me to add in first win bonus estimates, premium time, flags, and camo I can. It’s a full spreadsheet of every ship in game and everything is saved as variables so simple changes can make it more accurate. Just something I did a while back to see how many games it would take me to get to where I wanted.

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,329 posts
10,391 battles

On my alternate account I got to the Kurfurst in 292 games and could have done it, if focused only on progress matches, in 225 or less.  Using premium time for about 90% of matches played, a division for about 25-30% of games, the invite code to get up and running and using free xp when enough was generated the only real grind were the credits.  XP is stupidly, stupidly easy to attain.  Credits were a bit more of a crap shoot.

Played way more matches in the Konig than required, haha.

[DOG]
Members
381 posts
5,602 battles

Anyone else see this and immediately wonder how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?  :Smile-_tongue:

Yeah, I'm that old.  But, now that I'm done going off-topic, it occurs to me that it's quicker to grind up the tiers than it is to get to a 19 point captain.  I've got Gearing and Z52, but no 19 point captains.  I've got two 16 point captains (in Fletcher and Z-52), and I think 13-pointers in Gearing and Yugumo.  Plus some 10-12 point captains in various ships (V-170, Nurnberg, Omaha, Yorck, Kuma, etc.) I probably could have finished grinding to tier X in German cruisers by now, but I kind of got tired of playing Yorck.  I earned enough XP that I researched Hipper, but I haven't bothered to buy it yet, since it looks like a near clone of Yorck.  Same with Japanese cruisers.  I found Furutaka an unpleasant grind, and Aoba is almost a clone of it.  I am forcing myself to play it every couple of days, because Myoko looks interesting.

Edited by zubalkabir

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts

Only reason it's taking less battles for recent ships than older ones is because there's a lot greater access to special camos and signal flags that greatly increase it. Used to be that special camos simply didn't exist, those super powerful signal flags didn't exist, and even regular economy signal flags depended on you getting krakens and high calibres on a 1 for 1 basis instead of the current 1 for 10. Now, I have hundreds of 100% camos, thousands of economy signal flags, and hundreds of super signal flags.

If you look at the list, you'll notice that the longest times are also the oldest ships. A better gauge would be to list stats on ship lines that were leveled from start to max ONLY in the last year.

Beta Testers
38 posts
3,638 battles
16 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:
Name Battles
Montana 917
Des Moines 778
Gearing 762
Yamato 839
Zao 749
Shimakaze 770
Moskva 710
Khabarovsk 739
Grozovoi 712
Großer Kurfürst 907
Hindenburg 767
Z-52 693
Conqueror 806
Minotaur 716
Yueyang 623
Henri IV 755
République 666

That's pretty cool, I wonder how long it would take to grind a tier 10 ship in co-op mode. 

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,718 battles
21 minutes ago, Gregor_Marethel said:

That's pretty cool, I wonder how long it would take to grind a tier 10 ship in co-op mode. 

Based on my results in the same ship compared between the modes, I earn about 50% of the XP in Co-Op vs Random.

Other than Musashi, my data are a bit slim.  For Musashi, I earn 48% of Random XP per battle.  I only have one Co-Op battle each in Missouri and Iowa, but each earned 53% of the Random average XP for each ship.

As said elsewhere, credits are usually the limiting resource.  Co-Op earns less than Random.  My data are all over the place when comparing Random and Co-Op for credits.  Musashi provides a net payout about 22-20% of the Random net payout.  Some of my ships are much closer, but that is mostly related to reduced cost and better survival.