Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Thoughts on my first experience of the public test server

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,669
[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles

1) OMFG so many ships!!!

2) OMFG so many credits and doubloons!!!

3) OMFG how the hell can anyone possibly spend all this? (Especially since research and re-spec costs have been nerfed into the ground.)

I am a simple man with simple needs - I dabbled in a few ships I thought I might like to own one day (I developed a particular fondness for the Pensacola, funnily enough), bought a few camos, respecced a few captains - OMG the feeling of power!!!

Begs the question: with 560 million credits and 30,000 doubloons to spend, and costs so low... has anyone actually managed to spend it all before the test cycle was done? Because I don't think I could manage.

4) If I can have this... playground to frolic in once every three or four weeks, I think I can put away any thought of spending real money on the live server. There's just no need.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
445
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,499 posts
7,354 battles

Glad you had fun... But.... PTS will give you a taste of what's to come, and then you will be in "Gotta have it" mode on the live server...  might make you spend even more...:Smile-_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
661
[USCC2]
Members
3,418 posts
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) OMFG so many ships!!!

2) OMFG so many credits and doubloons!!!

3) OMFG how the hell can anyone possibly spend all this? (Especially since research and re-spec costs have been nerfed into the ground.)

I am a simple man with simple needs - I dabbled in a few ships I thought I might like to own one day (I developed a particular fondness for the Pensacola, funnily enough), bought a few camos, respecced a few captains - OMG the feeling of power!!!

Begs the question: with 560 million credits and 30,000 doubloons to spend, and costs so low... has anyone actually managed to spend it all before the test cycle was done? Because I don't think I could manage.

4) If I can have this... playground to frolic in once every three or four weeks, I think I can put away any thought of spending real money on the live server. There's just no need.

WG is just giving you the taste of the good life! All you have to do is spend money and play the mode they want you to and you can have all you experienced on the PTS.

Now open your wallet and let WG take your money! :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
258
[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

bad thing is once you have seen so much credit/gold then you lose the appreciation of the tiny gains in live server, the game lost its luster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,257 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

 

Begs the question: with 560 million credits and 30,000 doubloons to spend, and costs so low... has anyone actually managed to spend it all before the test cycle was done? Because I don't think I could manage.

4) If I can have this... playground to frolic in once every three or four weeks, I think I can put away any thought of spending real money on the live server. There's just no need.

If you start dabbling in ranked, when you start buying t10's and perma camos, all those doubloons and credits go fast, very fast! But is fun, and I enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles
2 hours ago, Happy668 said:

bad thing is once you have seen so much credit/gold then you lose the appreciation of the tiny gains in live server, the game lost its luster

No. On the contrary, because it is only occasional yet also predictable, it's like a treat after 3 weeks of grinding that gives me incentive to grind on. It actually reinvigorated me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
322
[GRFOX]
Members
2,201 posts
4,521 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) OMFG so many ships!!!

2) OMFG so many credits and doubloons!!!

3) OMFG how the hell can anyone possibly spend all this? (Especially since research and re-spec costs have been nerfed into the ground.)

I am a simple man with simple needs - I dabbled in a few ships I thought I might like to own one day (I developed a particular fondness for the Pensacola, funnily enough), bought a few camos, respecced a few captains - OMG the feeling of power!!!

Begs the question: with 560 million credits and 30,000 doubloons to spend, and costs so low... has anyone actually managed to spend it all before the test cycle was done? Because I don't think I could manage.

4) If I can have this... playground to frolic in once every three or four weeks, I think I can put away any thought of spending real money on the live server. There's just no need.

I said that too also most people on the PTS do not speak English so no whining in English at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
322
[GRFOX]
Members
2,201 posts
4,521 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No. On the contrary, because it is only occasional yet also predictable, it's like a treat after 3 weeks of grinding that gives me incentive to grind on. It actually reinvigorated me.

Honestly it helps with a the grind as you can see what worth it and what’s not that is why I have Lion and Essex and still grinding those lines where as I have mostly given up on the rest as tier 8 seems to be the last good tier for most lines IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-AGW-]
Members
633 posts
9,294 battles

It is worth playing a few games there for the free stuff on the real server. Also lets you try some ships you might want to get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles
8 hours ago, NashW8 said:

It is worth playing a few games there for the free stuff on the real server. Also lets you try some ships you might want to get. 

I tried out the King George V, Pensacola, New Orleans, Gadjah Mada (I made an early silly mistake in that one; not much of a try-out) and the Kuma (because I've only just started climbing the IJN cruiser line). Of all of them, the Pensacola felt the nicest. I feel sort of guilty for saying this, but I'm hoping the split works as we think it will and drops that ship in my lap; ten 8-inch guns at Tier 6 is going to be murder IMO, and I suspect the detractors aren't seeing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I'm a bit puzzled as to why they didn't do the WoT public test thing and let players use those doubloons to test out premiums, and even taking premiums out of the equation entirely going so far as to remove the Commonwealth, Polish, and Italian nations.

What I'm saying is DAMMIT JUST LET ME DRIVE A ROMA AT LEAST ONCE! You tease me with it and then take it down before I have the cash to buy it! IS my money not good enough for you Devs? Do you enjoy watching me dance around in frustration? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,037
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,335 posts
10,122 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I tried out the King George V, Pensacola, New Orleans, Gadjah Mada (I made an early silly mistake in that one; not much of a try-out) and the Kuma (because I've only just started climbing the IJN cruiser line). Of all of them, the Pensacola felt the nicest. I feel sort of guilty for saying this, but I'm hoping the split works as we think it will and drops that ship in my lap; ten 8-inch guns at Tier 6 is going to be murder IMO, and I suspect the detractors aren't seeing that.

People get too caught up with Pensacola changing to a T6 like that is a huge deal when it really isn't and those are the folks who aren't seeing the blind reality of the situation (not meant offensive to you).

The ONLY change will be no more T9. And while yes that is a big help you have to remember it is the ONLY change to MM.You will still see T5/T6/T7/T8 like you did when it was a T7. There is no new lower tier suddenly added to MM for it to beat up on. T5 is still the lowest. So how exactly will Pepsi at T6 with those 10 8" guns be any different and be murder on the same ships it has always seen as a T6 instead of  T7 that murdered it with ease?

Also, was it a T6 version on the PTS or the current T7 version? Pepsi is being nerfed HARD to be dropped to T6. It is already a ship with many flaws and weaknesses that will be made worse as a T6. And again it will still see the exact same ships in MM it did before other than T9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Also, was it a T6 version on the PTS or the current T7 version?

It was the T7. The PTS has Tier 1, Tier 7 and Tier 8 ships, IIRC; all others are locked, and must be unlocked in the usual fashion.

I don't know about you, but not having to face Tier 9 ought to make a big difference to a ship which as I see it has been generally derided for its vulnerability. What are the nerfs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,037
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,335 posts
10,122 battles
28 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It was the T7. The PTS has Tier 1, Tier 7 and Tier 8 ships, IIRC; all others are locked, and must be unlocked in the usual fashion.

I don't know about you, but not having to face Tier 9 ought to make a big difference to a ship which as I see it has been generally derided for its vulnerability. What are the nerfs?

Yes it is a big deal not seeing T9. Big help for sure. BUT my comment is more about those, such as yourself, who think it being a T6 will make it better when it just won't. As I pointed out it sees all the same ships besides those T9's so it doesn't suddenly get to see say T4 ships. T5-T8 ships have zero trouble with Pensacola in her T7 form now never mind when she is nerfed hard to be dropped to T6. Nothing new is added here you just take out the T9's and as said the rest of the ships feast on Pepsi too.

Nerfs currently are...

  1. Loses the 203 mm/55 Mk14 main gun upgrade module so only the stock guns are available. The upgraded guns bump AP from 4500 to 4600 and reduce the turret rotation from 38.3 sec to 26.9 sec (this is with EM on the Capt - if no EM it is 45 sec). This is a BIG loss re: turret rotation. Guns will turn slower than many BB in a ship that relies on wiggle and waggle to survive - your guns won;t be able to keep up! There is also a big difference in fps between the stock guns and the upgraded ones. 792 (stock + T6) vs 853 (T7 upgraded).
  2. Detection range increased from 12.78 (base hull) to 14.16km (base hull). HUGE difference as Pepsi needs as much stealth as it can get.
  3. Can't find the new stats right now but HP are being reduced as well.

There might be more but I know those 3 things for sure and it is a brutal combo for Pepsi. If Pepsi was dropped as is in it's current T7 form it would still be average at best as a T6. Now being nerfed hard it will be as crappy a T6 as it is a T7.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles

@AdmiralThunder Acknowledged.

Next time I have access to Pensacola in the test server (there should be one more phase before 0.7.4 drops, shouldn't there?), I will play her in stock form and see what I think of her then. However, I will still stand by my opinion that she felt like a good ship to drive, and IMO there is a phenomenon where some ships just feel good to some players and they do well in them, and vice versa (I know of someone who prefers the Emerald to the Fiji, for example, which is not an opinion I can share at all).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[-DOG-]
Members
182 posts
3,041 battles

There are always people that can put lipstick on a pig, but typically there is a reason they are pigs.  For Pensa, its the fact that it's citadel seems to be on the outside of the ship.  Think I've hit it with a destroyer before.  that said, i did pretty well in it and actually liked it.  You just have to learn that if you get broadsided, you are done.

 

Off Topic:  I don't understand the reasoning for dropping US cruisers down, and then nerfing them.  What is the point?  if you are dropping them down, you obviously think they are not a good fit at their tier.  Fair enough....but then you are nerfing them down so that they aren't even good for the tier they land on?  The consensus seems to be that a straight drop in tier with removal of the tier specific upgrades would make them decent for their tiers.  As it stands, they are considered "too weak" for their tier, but "too strong" for the lower tier (which for the most part means they'll see most of the same ships, just not the T9 and T10s)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,037
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,335 posts
10,122 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@AdmiralThunder Acknowledged.

Next time I have access to Pensacola in the test server (there should be one more phase before 0.7.4 drops, shouldn't there?), I will play her in stock form and see what I think of her then. However, I will still stand by my opinion that she felt like a good ship to drive, and IMO there is a phenomenon where some ships just feel good to some players and they do well in them, and vice versa (I know of someone who prefers the Emerald to the Fiji, for example, which is not an opinion I can share at all).

Don't misunderstand I actually kind of like Pepsi myself and do well in it. That doesn't mean I can't see overall it is a pretty bad ship in game. These nerfs when it drops to T6 are nerfs to the ONLY good things it had (well other than AA which I guess they are leaving alone).

Anyone who likes Emerald over Fiji has a screw loose!  Doesn't mean you can't like Emerald as I actually do but over Fiji? Nope that makes zero sense.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,037
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,335 posts
10,122 battles
59 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

There are always people that can put lipstick on a pig, but typically there is a reason they are pigs.  For Pensa, its the fact that it's citadel seems to be on the outside of the ship.  Think I've hit it with a destroyer before.  that said, i did pretty well in it and actually liked it.  You just have to learn that if you get broadsided, you are done.

 

Off Topic:  I don't understand the reasoning for dropping US cruisers down, and then nerfing them.  What is the point?  if you are dropping them down, you obviously think they are not a good fit at their tier.  Fair enough....but then you are nerfing them down so that they aren't even good for the tier they land on?  The consensus seems to be that a straight drop in tier with removal of the tier specific upgrades would make them decent for their tiers.  As it stands, they are considered "too weak" for their tier, but "too strong" for the lower tier (which for the most part means they'll see most of the same ships, just not the T9 and T10s)?

Very well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles

While I'm here, there's something in the PTS that I haven't noticed before, and that is cumulative in-game counters for both POTENTIAL DAMAGE and SPOTTED DAMAGE. Clearly the developers now think this is an important thing for you to know in-game, although only experience will show how well players associate rises in these two indices with the way they are playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
609
[HEROS]
Members
1,391 posts
11,810 battles

Glad ya had fun!

 

Just remember the primary goal of the PTS is for the devs to get numerics on the ships.  Always make an effort to bag the test server missions as best you can and read the patch notes so you have some idea of what the focus is for the particular iteration of the test server.   The dev teams isn't terribly worried about you going and doing your own thing on the test server but the server population is typically very limited (i've yet to be on and see it over 1000 players.. usually only 3-400 at best)

 

Just play and enjoy and if there is a particular high tier ship you want to have a go at go for it... with 30k doubloons to play with it wont take long to bag a few a runs and then turn all that regular XP into free xp to go get the ship you really want to play especially as ship research cost are typically 4k per ship (sometimes 8k) that'll tell you the tier focus for the server and that particular patch test.

Oh and if you happen to catch bugs or unexpected situations, check the patch notes first before you sound off in the PTS bug reporting section, and do try to see if you can get the unexpected results more then once.  The dev's like to see documentation of bugs.. replays especially! And if you can get a repeat of an error it makes their job of correcting it before it goes live much much easier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles
7 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Just remember the primary goal of the PTS is for the devs to get numerics on the ships.  Always make an effort to bag the test server missions as best you can and read the patch notes so you have some idea of what the focus is for the particular iteration of the test server. 

Not a problem. This was my first time on, purely a "Let's play this and see if/how it works, wow, look at all the cool stuff" exercise. I did try to complete missions, but for obvious reasons I am not going to rank up to #1 to play their precious Tier VII ranked battle in the time available, and getting the divisioned-players achievement was very dependent on keeping all the players in the division until the game was over (which didn't happen). I could have got the 8000 XP or whatever it was, but I had better things to do on the live server (like getting the first part of the Varyag mission finished off and grinding my way out of the Tenryu and into the Kuma). 

To quote one poor bastard in the British forces at the Battle of Loos (1915): "We did not know what it was going to be like. Next time we will do better."

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×