Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tnkbtlzrfun

I could use some help with the Kongo...

10 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
353 battles

I am fairly new to the game, and I am having a hard time outputting any damage in BB's in general, and the Kongo in particular. i just finished the horrific grind through the Myogi, and now I have the Kongo. I have tried staying at the rear of the fleet, and engaging other BB's and cruisers at long range, but I rarely hit what I am aiming at, and hardly ever do i get more than a shot or 2 per salvo, or a Citadel penatration. Even if I survive the entire battle, I find it hard to pull more than 15k damage if I am lucky enough to do that much. I have also tried closing the distance, and brawling at close range, but it seems like even if I am outputting more damage, I always get deleted at close range by a DD, or multiple cruisers just spamming me to death with HE, and I wind up dying before the battle is halfway over. I know about armor angling, and not sailing in straight lines, and I try to do both, but it is not seeming to help me...

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles

Stay at mid range.

You've already discovered why you shouldn't snipe from long range - you don't do significant damage and you won't be able to influence the battle.

You've already discovered why you shouldn't close the range too much - you don't have the armor to survive being focused and you die before you can put out significant damage.

So, find a happy medium. Stay at mid range. Just because you have the speed to close in doesn't mean you have to run straight at the enemies. By staying at mid range you have the accuracy to hammer targets and the opportunity to wiggle, turn and not get focused. Keep wiggling your ship, you have a rudder for a reason. The longer you keep driving in a straight line, the more time the red team has to aim at you. By continuously changing course you make yourself harder to hit by being unpredictable.

Also keep your angles in mind. You have armor, but instead of a passive defense, you need to put it to use. Don't think of your armor as a suit of plate mail that'll just allow you to deflect blows, but more as a shield that you have to actively use to block incoming damage. Don't drive full broadside, that'll just get you deleted. Keep your angles in mind.

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

I find that middle distances of 10-15 km from the enemy work best with Japanese BB's.  Their side armor is not strong enough to weather sustained brawling and you don't want to be so far away that you have difficulty landing your shots (especially since you're battle count is low and you are still learning to aim).

I keep on the move, vary my speed often, and rarely "bow tank" - sitting still and backing up, which just invites being turned into a hibachi.  I like to look at the minimap (or listen to my team) at the beginning of the battle and make sweeping arcs across key caps, turning into pressure when your team has a distinct power advantage and being willing to turn out when you are getting focused (more than 1 or 2 ships targeting you, which you can tell by getting the "priority target" skill) and need to repair.  Avoid steering in straight lines for long, especially when you are broadside to battleships or even cruisers with solid AP penetration.  Pick out broadside targets to fire AP at, and don't be afraid to switch to HE when you are firing at the bow of BB's.

Lastly, keep in mind that Tier V is tough!  It moves you out of restricted matchmaking and you will be often facing ships two tiers higher.  Don't get too frustrated until you hit at least a thousand games, which many say (including me) is when things will start to feel more natural and start to "click."

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,385 battles

Kongo is, in my opinion still the best ship at T5 bar the stupid ships like Kamikaze and Julius Caesar... the problem is, much like the Myogi before it, I don't think it's a very beginner-friendly ship. Less so than the Myogi, but enough such that I hated it at ~300 battles and did not come to enjoy it until ~2500+.

So here's my thought: as with any ship, you want to play to it's strength: for the Kongo it's the speed and the range, though the latter is a bit of a red herring. At at a high level, you're basically playing the battlecruiser doctrine: press any engagement that favors you, run from any engagement that doesn't. Of course, without having played a ton of games, it's not clear what are the fights you can win, and what are the fights you can't.

At a basic level, you can look at it on a ship to ship basis: in a one on one with all things equal, you can probably kill a Kuma and you probably can't kill a Scharnhorst. Unfortunately one on ones like that generally don't happen in random battles, and you really have to consider the situation. You should take a fight with a Cleveland that's coming toward you at 10km: you can delete him if he comes close, and if he wants to disengage, you can delete him when he turns away. You shouldn't take a fight with a Cleveland that's kiting at 15km: you won't be able to land good hits, you won't be able to close the distance, and the Cleveland will just burn you down. That being said, this is still a very simplistic example: understanding favorable or unfavorable situations is very hard to learn.

You can learn by erring on the side of caution: approach a flank up to a comfortable distance (as others have mentioned this is typically between 10km to 15km away), turn out, angle against the most dangerous opponent (typically the T7 BB), slow down and try to hold the position. If the fight goes south, just gun it and kite, and if the fight goes well, you can probably safely turn in and press the engagement... so you push and rinse and repeat. Again, this is a bit of a simplistic example; if you don't have good control over the basics even this can be difficult.

I'll go back and add a note on the range though: the point of the range is not to snipe at max range; that's pretty much useless with the mediocre accuracy and limited number of guns. Instead you should consider it a tool for engagement control. You're fighting that Cleveland and you got him down pretty low, but now he turns around and runs toward his nearest T7 BB buddy. You don't want to rush the T7 BB, but your range can allow you to starting kiting away from the BB while still giving you a chance to finish the low Cleveland. And not just your low Cleveland, maybe the other low Cleveland on the other side of the map.

Finally I guess I'd say on a general note brawling and sniping aren't strategies: you shouldn't look at playing the ship as trying to brawl or snipe. Brawling and sniping are tools you use to resolve a situation after you decide which engagement you want to take. That isolated Wyoming on your flank? Yeah, you can take him out, so rush in and brawl him. The aforementioned low-health Cleveland broadside across the map? Yeah, you can take him out too, so take the snipe shot. There's tactical skill involved in both cases, but understanding if your tactical skill is good enough to do the thing is a whole other can of worms, so I'll stop there.

But uh yeah, maybe spent too much time on this, but it's a ship I really like so hopefully helps even a little :Smile_honoring:

EDIT: here's a short video I recorded some time ago illustrating the above.

Spoiler

Kite the flank until you can push... and then push. Especially versus T7 ships on T7 maps, the speed is also very good for just getting to an engagement: for battleships simply being present is all you need to do at times, and despite anything else any of the other T5 battleships might bring to the table, the fact that they are too slow to even show up half the time makes Kongo the real Waifu.

Edited by pikohan
  • Cool 2

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

God I hated and still do hate the kongo. Occassionally I even play my ARP Hiei cause Im like "hey it wasnt that bad right" then I play it and my god do they suck. The dispersion alone is horid, I dont think Ive seen worse dispersion on any ship in the game even my gneisenau has better accuracy than that, the ships armor is non existent my texas citadels them from direct hit to the front effortlessly. And the problem all IJN BB's suffer from, the penetration on the guns is absolutely garbage, youll even bounce shots off full broadside cruisers. I guess what Im trying to say is, I really do not like kongo.

Members
2,207 posts
4,043 battles
On 4/23/2018 at 11:06 PM, manon45 said:

God I hated and still do hate the kongo. Occassionally I even play my ARP Hiei cause Im like "hey it wasnt that bad right" then I play it and my god do they suck. The dispersion alone is horid, I dont think Ive seen worse dispersion on any ship in the game even my gneisenau has better accuracy than that, the ships armor is non existent my texas citadels them from direct hit to the front effortlessly. And the problem all IJN BB's suffer from, the penetration on the guns is absolutely garbage, youll even bounce shots off full broadside cruisers. I guess what Im trying to say is, I really do not like kongo.

Fun fact, a kongo can citadel a Texas easier through the bow than the reverse. Kongo can bounce water line hits from 14". So a Texas has a fairly small window were they overmatch the upper hull and the rof will still hit the forward bulkhead. 

Also bow tanking before tier 8 and tier 9 for IJN is a bad idea. 

Instead you want to do the Myogi shuffle. where you swing her stern out to unmask her rear turrets, fire and bring it back to almost bow on again. Like a cruiser that is bow on to bait a shot then tanks the hits on her belt.

Kongo's range is a double edged sword. On one hand it' great when you land "spotter plane" range hits. But you don't want to limit yourself to sniping.

As you push closer  you will see your shell arches getting flatter. At about 10k they are brutal. 

I would go back to the Myogi because she is tankier and her turret placement forces you to learn proper angling.  Myogi is great fun once she finally clicks for you.

I kind of wish I didn't start yoloing in her to kill her stats. 

1,542 posts
26 battles

Hey @tnkbtlzrfun, welcome to the forums! Some great advice from the guys above :Smile_great: be sure to check out Youtube for more helpful videos on the Kongo! As others have said, she is one of the easier ships at that Tier to grasp so play around and have fun! Give us a shout if you need any further assistance! 

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

Also heres some advice a fellow forum user gave awhile ago in an amagi guide but it holds true for all IJN BB's

at less than 12km aim at the water lane

at 12+ aim halfway between the deck and the waterline

at 16 aim at the deck

dont battle at greater than 16km in an IJN BB

Due to IJN's plunging AP if you aim at the waterline at range youll just barely scrape their armor.

Edited by manon45

[STEM]
Beta Testers
83 posts
711 battles

i havent played in years but damage isn't the problem i have with the kongo it's that it seems japanese ships have become easier to citadel while i was busy having this arcade simulator children's game uninstalled.

will probably move to a better ship line. only wanted yamato for meme reasons anyway but if it's literal garbage, no reason to bother with inferior japanese ships.

guns are ok, though. what you want is the dynamic crosshair from aslain's mod pack and to turn off tracking in game, it's a worthless shitter bait feature that makes it hard to estimate your speed and compensate accordingly.

By the way, this is a Russian game. Don't play ships that were on the wrong side of history.

Sign in to follow this