You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Roundet

Air Torpedo Attacks Should Be Modified

23 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,383 battles

This isn't a complaint but rather an observation, I love WoW and very much enjoy  coop, but when I play against other players most use the torpedo plane short range drop option and hit your ships from 20-40 yards away with ZERO ability to dodge.  Additionally your AA is supposed to engage at a range of miles but even on a Tier 7 BB (like my Alabama) heavy AA only begins shooting just before they release.  Torpedoes in WW2 (and yes I researched it) were dropped about (about 1000 Meters give or take the nationality of the Torp) but in WoW I routinely get hit by torp planes dropped about 50 yards or so with a 2 degree spread, its instant death even for a tier 7 BB with a heavy belt.  I am sorry but this instant (player induced drop) needs to be eliminated immediately.  It makes having AA worthless as you cant engage fast enough to protect yourself even when you have tons of 5 Inch, 40MM and 20MM guns firing in defense.  You cannot maneuver as it happens instantly and the torps are dropped and hit your ship in a matter of seconds, your simply dead.  I am not saying torp planes were not dangerous, but in WW2 they took heavy losses and had mixed engagement results as torpedoes were somewhat unreliable and dropped deep and then rose after a few hundred yards. WoW planners, please change the  A/C torp attack to a standard computer controlled drop as playing against other players means you can instant drop torps for guaranteed kills almost with impunity.  Not ranting just making a factual observation.  

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

Or... just increase the torpedo arming distance?

[-THOR]
Members
547 posts
3,108 battles

No it's because CV players have skill. If you are out of position then any CV will be more than glad to gobble you up

• Bad 1

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles
8 minutes ago, Roundet said:

This isn't a complaint but rather an observation, I love WoW and very much enjoy  coop, but when I play against other players most use the torpedo plane short range drop option and hit your ships from 20-40 yards away with ZERO ability to dodge.  Additionally your AA is supposed to engage at a range of miles but even on a Tier 7 BB (like my Alabama) heavy AA only begins shooting just before they release.  Torpedoes in WW2 (and yes I researched it) were dropped about (about 1000 Meters give or take the nationality of the Torp) but in WoW I routinely get hit by torp planes dropped about 50 yards or so with a 2 degree spread, its instant death even for a tier 7 BB with a heavy belt.  I am sorry but this instant (player induced drop) needs to be eliminated immediately.  It makes having AA worthless as you cant engage fast enough to protect yourself even when you have tons of 5 Inch, 40MM and 20MM guns firing in defense.  You cannot maneuver as it happens instantly and the torps are dropped and hit your ship in a matter of seconds, your simply dead.  I am not saying torp planes were not dangerous, but in WW2 they took heavy losses and had mixed engagement results as torpedoes were somewhat unreliable and dropped deep and then rose after a few hundred yards. WoW planners, please change the  A/C torp attack to a standard computer controlled drop as playing against other players means you can instant drop torps for guaranteed kills almost with impunity.  Not ranting just making a factual observation.  

Words of advice:

WASD and change pace before the planes even get close to you, even then, sometimes you can't dodge torps and the CV outsmarts you, it happens. Even if manual drop was completely removed, people would still complain about CV torps.

Hang out near other ships with AA, don't just rely on your own AA to save yourself. I have an Alabama, i sure as hell dont expect my AA to save me and shred the planes the moment they get anywhere near me. A simple change in speed and turning can save yourself from manual drops. They aren't instant, you have plenty of time to start turning and change speed to minimize damage or avoid them.

• Cool 1

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

Torps dropped point blank on players should do nothing. There should be a range minimum for them to arm and do damage. These cross dropping CV's need to be stopped from doing this.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
1 hour ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

Words of advice:

WASD and change pace before the planes even get close to you, even then, sometimes you can't dodge torps and the CV outsmarts you, it happens. Even if manual drop was completely removed, people would still complain about CV torps.

Hang out near other ships with AA, don't just rely on your own AA to save yourself. I have an Alabama, i sure as hell dont expect my AA to save me and shred the planes the moment they get anywhere near me. A simple change in speed and turning can save yourself from manual drops. They aren't instant, you have plenty of time to start turning and change speed to minimize damage or avoid them.

You can't out turn a cross drop. If a CV has it out for you there's not much you can do.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Things scale oddly in the game, to make it easier to play, otherwise battles would take hours. Most CV players have torpedo acceleration on their captain. With that selected, torpedoes travel 1.2km before arming. It just looks closer due to scaling.

• Cool 1

Members
17,685 posts
5,084 battles

.OP, your biggest issue is a lack of experience playing BBs in PvP against CVs with manual drop.

Using Tirpitz and Alabama without prior experience, you're getting into games with T10 CVs, the most dangerous in the game.

Go back and play some T5 BBs, you'll gain experience dealing with manual drop CVs in a gentler environment. By the time you get to T8 BBs, you should know how to maneuver to mitigate TB damage.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles

It's not fun to deal with them at any level.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,383 battles

Great comments and I appreciate the advice...  I'm NOT trying to be derogatory and I respect your opinions.  I played two games today where torp planes were on me life flies on a pile of poop, I was turning and changing speed and they dropped and I counted to 4 and was dead.  Maybe they should just changed the arming distance to provide a little more accuracy in the game.  They (developers) profess to trying to be accurate and the mostly do, but again great discussion.  And as for the stick with other ships, I do try but in the heat of fighting you often get a bit of tunnel vision fighting from very long range.  Have fun gaming folks and thanks for the advice and input.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,383 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

.OP, your biggest issue is a lack of experience playing BBs in PvP against CVs with manual drop.

Using Tirpitz and Alabama without prior experience, you're getting into games with T10 CVs, the most dangerous in the game.

Go back and play some T5 BBs, you'll gain experience dealing with manual drop CVs in a gentler environment. By the time you get to T8 BBs, you should know how to maneuver to mitigate TB damage.

I will try that, as I tend to walk in with higher tiers too fast.  Thanks for the advice....

Members
17,685 posts
5,084 battles
8 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Torps dropped point blank on players should do nothing. There should be a range minimum for them to arm and do damage. 

They don't, and there is.

The arming distance should probably be larger, but you can certainly have them dud against your hull if you turn into a point-blank drop.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

They don't, and there is.

The arming distance should probably be larger, but you can certainly have them dud against your hull if you turn into a point-blank drop.

I've never seen this ever. Every cross drop i've ever been caught in that was dropped a 1km away has resulted in a quick trip to port.

You cannot WASD hack out of that.

Edited by xalmgrey
Wrong clip.

[POP]
Beta Testers
289 posts
10,433 battles

I really get a kick (in the teeth) when the torps are dropped while I'm alongside an island and the drop occurs from the ISLAND side and not the side facing the water, and its almost as if they were dropped in the surf, around 3 feet of water and arm/detonate almost before I can slam a beer/toss the cat/holler at the dog/beat a red-headed step child. Amazing technology you humans possess to achieve this sneaky attack,,,,,,,,,,,, must inform the galactic overlord post-haste.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
4,521 posts
11,433 battles
31 minutes ago, Roundet said:

Dodge the planes before they come close enough to drop.  Turn toward torpedo bombers, and turn away from dive bombers.  If both are near, always prioritise the torpedo bombers.  Always assume that any planes headed in your general direction are coming after you specifically.  Don't wait until they drop before you decide to dodge, it's way too late then.  You still might take a torp hit or two but that's better than taking a full broadside of them.  The point is that you want to make it as difficult as possible for the CV player to torp you.  He may even - and often does - move on to someone else.

If your ship has taken a beating, especially from lots of HE hits, it is very possible that chunks of your AA has been knocked out, which is probably why you're experiencing AA effectiveness less than what you might expect.

Finally, stop comparing this game to real life.  Apart from the ships' appearances (at least the ones that were built), this game shares next to nothing in common with WWII.  World of Warships is basically a cover shooter, with it's own interpretation of physics.

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles
11 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I've never seen this ever. Every cross drop i've ever been caught in that was dropped a 1km away has resulted in a quick trip to port.

IT does happen, it also happens with Ship-mounted Torps as well.

You just have to be REALLLLLY lucky.

Members
1,777 posts
5,637 battles

The torpedoes are dropped at about 1500 yards. not 50 feet. realistic distance....

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,383 battles
16 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Dodge the planes before they come close enough to drop.  Turn toward torpedo bombers, and turn away from dive bombers.  If both are near, always prioritise the torpedo bombers.  Always assume that any planes headed in your general direction are coming after you specifically.  Don't wait until they drop before you decide to dodge, it's way too late then.  You still might take a torp hit or two but that's better than taking a full broadside of them.  The point is that you want to make it as difficult as possible for the CV player to torp you.  He may even - and often does - move on to someone else.

If your ship has taken a beating, especially from lots of HE hits, it is very possible that chunks of your AA has been knocked out, which is probably why you're experiencing AA effectiveness less than what you might expect.

Finally, stop comparing this game to real life.  Apart from the ships' appearances (at least the ones that were built), this game shares next to nothing in common with WWII.  World of Warships is basically a cover shooter, with it's own interpretation of physics.

Well your right, its not real life or accurate and that's just part of the game but rapid torp drops with little spread could be easily modified to add a bit more realism.  Nothing will make it perfect and you are again your correct  this isn't real life.  But they spend a lot of time trying to adjust capabilities and the accuracy of the game.  I still believe that they could change the torp drop distance.  But your point is well taken.  I guess I'm just a crusty old guy, a Disabled Veteran (last 32 years active duty and military Civil Service) and gamer since the 80's and I am not trying to have a perfect game, just a more balanced game.  Thanks for your input as your right sometimes AA gets disabled, you get distracted, don't watch your surroundings, etc.  In ships in WW2 there were directors for damage control AA, main battery, engineering etc.  Perhaps they should make more timely allowances for notification of inbound torp planes so you at least have some warning before they hit the water?  Thanks again for the reminder...

Members
17,685 posts
5,084 battles
15 minutes ago, Roundet said:

I will try that, as I tend to walk in with higher tiers too fast.  Thanks for the advice....

I just remember that torpedoes used to be my number one nemesis, I had a lot of issues with them early on, but by the time I got solidly into mid tiers, they were more an annoyance than anything.

But yeah, in higher tiers, if a CV decides he really wants you dead, you're in trouble, assuming he doesn't mind spending planes.

• Cool 1

Members
17,685 posts
5,084 battles
25 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Well, you're only going to get inside and dud one group of torps, and likely give the other group a better target at the same time, so it's not a get out of jail free card.

If it's just one drop though, it works pretty well.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,383 battles
23 minutes ago, Alien_Observer said:

I really get a kick (in the teeth) when the torps are dropped while I'm alongside an island and the drop occurs from the ISLAND side and not the side facing the water, and its almost as if they were dropped in the surf, around 3 feet of water and arm/detonate almost before I can slam a beer/toss the cat/holler at the dog/beat a red-headed step child. Amazing technology you humans possess to achieve this sneaky attack,,,,,,,,,,,, must inform the galactic overlord post-haste.

That happened to me once today, I was literally on top of an island on the right side of it, the beach was so close I was afraid I would ground myself unintentionally.  Took three torps dropped in the surf on the beach waterline and instant boom.  Again not [edited], just pointing out that it would have looked like a Torpedo Stonehenge lol....

Members
17,685 posts
5,084 battles
41 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

You can't out turn a cross drop. If a CV has it out for you there's not much you can do.

You can avoid a cross drop. It's not the cross drop that's the issue, so much as it being point blank.

I get people avoiding my Zuiho auto cross drops all the time, or at least only catching 1-2 torps.

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles

Two big pieces of advice. 1) Use your AA modules and captain skills. AA range and survivability are a must as well as BFT and AFT if you are worried about CV's. These increase the range and damage significantly. 2) If you are in a BB with bad AA, stick with strong AA teammates. Yes CV's are annoying but there are ways to help your survivability chances. If you are a BB all alone in a match with CV's you will most likely be focused. 

• Cool 1