You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

Imagining Doomsday: A hypothetical scenario of premium ammo in WoWs.

44 comments in this topic

[HYDRO]
Members
1,275 posts
3,653 battles

Imagining Doomsday: A hypothetical scenario of premium ammo in WoWs.

First of all, a disclaimer. I have no info on premium ammo being considered whatsoever, nor has it ever been mentioned, this is just my THEORY of how someone would implement premium ammo in WoWs, a “what if”; I am just curious to see where a discussion on the matter would lead. Also this is all fictional, since you would have to get fictional ammo and penetration figures. To be honest I am kinda reluctant to post in case WG staff take this post into consideration.

Having taken care of that, onto the main matter. How would premium ammo, that includes shells and torpedoes. work in the game, and how would they affect the balance?

To do that, first we have to include some parameters. First of all this scenario will be based on Tier X ships. Secondly, this theory will borrow some mechanics from World of Tanks, since it’s a game with similar format to WoWs, where premium ammo is already used.

So, lets begin by cost first of all. In WoT, you load up ammo and pay for whichever type you shoot. In WoWs however, your ammo is infinite. So while in WoT you know the price of your ammo and can shoot as much of each type, a similar case in WoWs would lead to insane repair bills. It follows then that premium ammo in WoWs would possibly replace your “normal” ammo, as well as having a flat rate for each battle. I believe 100k credits for 1 Tier X battle would be good as reference. Besides, we will never get premium ammo, right, RIGHT? 

In World of Tanks, there are various types of premium ammo. There is APCR, which has higher velocities and penetration but loses dramatically penetration the moment distance decreases.  They also have decreased normalization angles. Then there is HEAT. HEAT does not lose penetration at range, but instead bounces when it meets spaced armor. It is also not subject to normalization. There is also some HE ammo used as premium ammo, either having flat out better damage, or having larger splash radius. Last, there is HESH, a UK oddity. It behaves similarly to HEAT, however it has decreased penetration. On flat surfaces without spaced armor however is devastating.  

Onto the classes of WoWs now, we will first talk about main battery ammo on each class, then have a separate section on torpedoes and one on carriers.

Destroyers: Here the situation is pretty simple.  The HE gets +1 -2% fire chance, or it could even include inbuilt IFHE at the cost of fire chance. IFHE as a skill would still remain relevant if you wanted to have good firechance.  The quirky line could possibly be US DDs, having a form of HE that had higher muzzle velocities at the expense of not being able to lob shells and having decreased damage (Think Akizuki but lower).

Cruisers:  Cruisers would also get HE with increased fire chance, same as destroyers, or even IFHE. When it comes to AP, they could get some fictional AP ammo that allows them to overmatch over 25mm of armor at the expense of much decreased normalization, making it harder to penetrate angled targets but allowing you to penetrate anyone bowtanking. The quirky nation here could be the RN Cruiser line, having a form of APHE, having longer fuses than the RN Cruiser AP, but a small firechance (2-3%).

Battleships:  Here the AP ammo of BBs would get the same treatment of cruisers, being able to overmatch 32mm, at the expense of being at disadvantage vs angled opponents.  I don’t think the HE should be touched with a 1000 foot pole in BBs. To compensate for Yamato losing its  signature overmatch capability, it would get a form of AP allowing it to reach the underwater citadel that some high tier BBs have possibly by not losing that much penetration when the shells are underwater. The quirky line here could possibly be the Italian BB line, having “Granata Perforante” ammo, a form of AP much more suitable for shooting Cruisers or Destroyers (for more info check this topic, it’s pretty interesting

Torpedoes: Here things are a bit different. An interesting choice of premium ammo could be AP torpedoes for DDs and CAs. That is, torpedoes that would be able to bypass a certain percentage of TPS of BBs, but would “overpen” DDs and CAs, inflicting 50% less damage but having guaranteed flooding. Their disadvantage could be possibly lower speed or increased detection range. PA DDs would get normal torpedoes with normal detection range but higher speed possibly at the expense of damage.

CARRIERS: I wanted to save this for last, since it has actually partly the potential to be something useful and viable for the game. USN Carriers get special bombs that do minimal damage to the ship itself aside from fires, but instead have higher chances of destroying AA mounts, thus making any opponents much “softer” for subsequent attacks. The torpedo bombers get a changed torpedo attack shape. Now, IJN Carriers, and here is where I think the viable becomes. They get no changes at when it comes to their dive bombers or torpedo bombers in terms of damage. Instead their bomber attacks apply dependent on how accurate the strike is a debuff, similar to stun in World of Tanks Artillery. But what does the stun do? It reduces the turret traverse rate, the rudder shift time, as well as the reload time. Think of it as a very heavy bomber attack that requires all crew to assist in repairs. This debuff could range from a few seconds up to a minute if the strike is dead on.  The stun can be removed by Damage Control party.

And that’s all folks! I think it has at least been established that with few exceptions none of this would be viable in the game or would have to be totally fictional, but I still hope you enjoyed this “what if Doomsday Scenario”.

Thanks for reading my wall and hoping for an interesting discussion. If you are interested in those kinds of  lengthy topics, I have another one on premium ship design philosophy and the Asashio.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,176 battles

Why?  Why is this popping up?  No one wants premium ammo.

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,196 posts
10,126 battles

Tell you what; you can have premium ballistic ammo if you give me guided and/or homing torpedoes with a 50% increase in damage and 100% increase in range.  

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,803 posts
4,224 battles
9 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Tell you what; you can have premium ballistic ammo if you give me guided and/or homing torpedoes with a 50% increase in damage and 100% increase in range.  

And I get Jets with guided AShMs

• Cool 1

Members
292 posts

Premium ammo? What could go wrong?

=

"Yes duh my Isokaze can citadel your Bayern from 9 km, git gud scrub"

Edited by TheLastReaper

[TASH]
Members
4,989 posts
7,875 battles
24 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Why?  Why is this popping up?  No one wants premium ammo.

It's a hypothetical scenario, maybe reading can actually help.

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles

Well you put some thought into this but it's just not going to happen. I well remember the acrimony in WoT when some guy has his tank nicely angled with his armour vs guns all set. Some noob flips to gold and goes right through it like shaped-charge panzerfaust.

No thanks!

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,176 battles
2 minutes ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

It's a hypothetical scenario, maybe reading can actually help.

Should I send my landlord an email explaining why he should hypothetically raise my rent?  I don't know if you know how game companies work but they tend to use a lot of confirmation bias when making unpopular/unwanted changes.

[TASH]
Members
4,989 posts
7,875 battles
4 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Should I send my landlord an email explaining why he should hypothetically raise my rent?  I don't know if you know how game companies work but they tend to use a lot of confirmation bias when making unpopular/unwanted changes.

You kidding me?  Wargaming hardly looks at community suggestions for changes, especially single threads like this.  If they did, I'm pretty sure we'd have a USN Battleship and Destroyer Split already.

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,176 battles
1 minute ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

You kidding me?  Wargaming hardly looks at community suggestions for changes, especially single threads like this.  If they did, I'm pretty sure we'd have a USN Battleship and Destroyer Split already.

So what you're really saying is you want gold ammo?  That's the only reason why you've decided to get your jimmies all rustled.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,763 posts
12,865 battles
1 minute ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

I beg to pardon.  I posted a suggestion herein a year or so ago.  One I had never seen mentioned or discussed anywhere.  Not on forums.  Not by WG.  Not by anyone.  It was implemented several patches later.  It was a unique enough request that I seriously doubt it was being contemplated by WG and I just happened to be thinking the same way.  So...yeah...they do watch.  Or, perhaps some of the deeper community watches...and has their ear.  Either way...suggestions herein...can...and do make it to game.

Now...as for premium ammo.  I can't see it.  It just does't fit the game.  Like submarines...with premium torpedoes.

• Cool 1

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I beg to pardon.  I posted a suggestion herein a year or so ago.  One I had never seen mentioned or discussed anywhere.  Not on forums.  Not by WG.  Not by anyone.  It was implemented several patches later.  It was a unique enough request that I seriously doubt it was being contemplated by WG and I just happened to be thinking the same way.  So...yeah...they do watch.  Or, perhaps some of the deeper community watches...and has their ear.  Either way...suggestions herein...can...and do make it to game.

Now...as for premium ammo.  I can't see it.  It just does't fit the game.  Like submarines...with premium torpedoes.

Agreed. Yes they listen. Getting rid of DD-disparity in battles in the next patch is another example.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,275 posts
3,653 battles
13 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

By writing this topic I think I have proven how introducing premium ammo would totally ruin the game or would be impossible to implement, disrupting any sense of balance. WG as a company. The only way what i wrote would be even considered by WG officials would be if the game was going completely down the drain and they wanted to make a bit of extra money before shutting it down. Finally, there has been alot of talk of revamping the existing premium ammo system in WoT, since they also feel it ruins their game. Why would they want to apply it to WoWs? I am sorry if you think this will prompt someone from WG to implement premium ammo, but I will have to agree to disagree with you.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,915 posts
6,416 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

AP torpedoes

im sorry, what? ill give you some points for your creativity in the OP and how each ship type and certain weapons would be effected, but, as the OP and the title of your thread states, the day premium ammo comes to WOWS, is the day the game takes a huge hit from all the people that would leave at once

Edited by tcbaker777

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,196 posts
10,126 battles
40 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

And I get Jets with guided AShMs

Deal!

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
477 posts
3,530 battles

There is absolutely, positively, no need whatsoever for premium ammo in WoWS.  The only reason it exists in WoT is to give tanks a chance to frontally penetrate vehicles that could not with normal AP.  HE in WoT has nowhere near the same damage potential as in WoWS, so WG had to give the masses some way to make damage (since they couldn't be bothered to learn weak spots).  None of those issues exist in WoWS.

BTW OP, not like you're breaking ground here, this topic has been beaten to death almost as much as +1-1 MM. 

• Cool 1

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,196 posts
10,126 battles
24 minutes ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

Yeah, they do.  They listen to all the whiners that keep repeating "DD's OP, plz nerf", "CL's OP, plz nerf", "torpedoes OP, pls nerf", "BB's OP, plz nerf", and so on.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

I don’t think even Jeff Bezos could afford the repair bill of a Minotaur game.

Edit; Repair bill must be a refill bill.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Members
411 posts

Why must you sink to a discussion about hypothetical implementation of cancer? 

Cancer is why I left World of Tanks (Blitz and PC) and cancer is why I will leave this game if it comes to this.

giphy.gif

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles

No.  Please, god, NO!!!  No premium ammo!!!

I like the economy of WoWS as is.  It's VASTLY better than in WoT where it's such a painful grind to earn a decent amount of credits.  And if prem ammo was introduced, every veteran player would have more than enough credits to constantly use it, which in turn would probably cause WG to put a crimp in the economy to make those rounds more costy or limit player income or whatever.

So, NOOOOOO!!!  Please no premium ammo!!!!!

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles

This thread desperately needs a Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! meme.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,275 posts
3,653 battles

The reason I posted this topic was mostly to show to the absurd lengths you would have to go in order to even consider such a decision. It was not meant as a HEY WG READ MY TOPIC AND IMPLEMENT NAOW OMG OMG OMG PL1S. It is for granted that I consider premium ammo in any form negative and I make it clear in my OP.  Regarding the "even hypothetical is bad", I was not aware there is a taboo on what to say and what not. I just wanted to make a point but it seems it has been completely twisted around. Seems I was also wrong in even daring to think about premium ammo I guess. I will just hop back into my hole. :Smile_hiding:  Depending on where this heads I will probably ask this topic locked and deleted, it has brought nothing but negativity.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,915 posts
6,416 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This thread desperately needs a Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! meme.

i got you

• Cool 1

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,753 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

No.  Please, god, NO!!!  No premium ammo!!!

I like the economy of WoWS as is.  It's VASTLY better than in WoT where it's such a painful grind to earn a decent amount of credits.  And if prem ammo was introduced, every veteran player would have more than enough credits to constantly use it, which in turn would probably cause WG to put a crimp in the economy to make those rounds more costy or limit player income or whatever.

So, NOOOOOO!!!  Please no premium ammo!!!!!

Seconded,