You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

Spotter or fighter?

23 comments in this topic

Members
1,119 posts
3,141 battles

I just got the Yamato and finished my build, I went with PT, EM, AR, BoS, Vigilance, and Concealment for my skills. I don't have any aa upgrades whatsoever. I'm wondering what plane you find more value out of. Should I go for spotting plane to shoot over islands, or should I use fighter plane to help with carriers?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,159 posts
8,772 battles

If I have the option I take the fighter because it doesn't drastically change the binocular view.

Alpha Tester
4,711 posts
2,407 battles

Fighter. Not only will you be better prepared in case you come across CVs, but it'll spot torpedoes for you.

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Doesn't the spotter also spot torpedoes in range?

I'd say go with fighter on Yamato to shore up it's weak AA. Yamato's main battery range is already way longer than is practical. Unless you think you'll need to fire into smoke that often.

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles
1 minute ago, 1Sherman said:

Fighter. Not only will you be better prepared in case you come across CVs, but it'll spot torpedoes for you.

Both will spot torpedoes. However, the spotter orbits farther from the ship (making it better at spotting ships) and moves more slowly (making it slightly worse at spotting torpedoes.

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles
5 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Definitely fighter. If you are really keen on increased gun range use the module for that.

Always wanted to ask this.  When is it best to launch fighter or spotter?  Right off the bat?  Wait awhile....etc.  When?

[VFW]
Members
900 posts
20,661 battles

Comes down to play style.

In my view, the spotter is not so much for extending the range, it's to give a better view angle.   Prime examples are to shoot into smoke and firing over islands with a better view to hit targets.   I never really use the spotter for range extension on any ship.   Fighter is fine, but spotter is for giving more options to hit targets.

VR

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles
31 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

As soon as the red p;lanes are getting close and you can see the whites of their eyes...

But but I was always under the notion that launching them right after general quarters and then your trusty fighter pilot would fly off and nail some reds long before they got near you and your fleet. Is is this notion of mine wrong.  Many are. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles

Others know better I'm sure,  but my understanding is that on top of being able to shoot down attackers it decreases their hit %.

[-BSS-]
Members
385 posts
5,912 battles

I’ve started using fighter on all my ships instead of spotter plane, I don’t miss the spotter plane at all

• Cool 1

Members
17,779 posts
5,084 battles
45 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Always wanted to ask this.  When is it best to launch fighter or spotter?  Right off the bat?  Wait awhile....etc.  When?

Assuming you're using it to detect things, and you're a BB, hold off until you know there's a DD nearby, or you're getting close to islands. You don't have the duration to use it just because.

In a cruiser, same thing, but with the longer duration, you can be premature in launching it. I launch my fighter when I'm going somewhere that looks like a good place for DDs, whether I suspect one or not.

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

If I have the option I take the fighter because it doesn't drastically change the binocular view.

Fighter is best. Yammer needs AA help. 

Members
17,779 posts
5,084 battles
4 minutes ago, Visidious said:

I’ve started using fighter on all my ships instead of spotter plane, I don’t miss the spotter plane at all

Same here.

I did try spotter/reload upgrade combo on Hindenberg, but it seemed that opportunities to fire that far were spaced out, and the plane was often on cooldown. And then I missed the longer duration of detection, plus the help vs. CV attacks.

Fighter/range upgrade just feels more comfortable to me.

Only exception is Shchors. I use the spotter plane on there, because the extra range comes in handy, and there's no range upgrade available.

Members
1,119 posts
3,141 battles

The reason this is something that I have a hard time choosing (not just on yamato, but all battleships) is because the spotter makes it way easier to shoot over islands (you can mash m and that helps a lot, but not as much as fighter). It's great for taking out ships like Des Moines that like to sit behind islands and spam HE. 

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

You wait until you have an opportunity to use it for spotting, popping it instantly is a waste.

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles

Fighter because your Yamato already has its max effective gun range, and fighter still helps spot incoming torpedoes and will help defend against air attacks.

Members
3,634 posts
13,443 battles
4 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

^This^ Because of the view angle I have a hard time accurately shooting with the spotter plane view.

4 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

^This too^ Plus cat fighters can help spot any DDs lurking in the area.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
6 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I just got the Yamato and finished my build, I went with PT, EM, AR, BoS, Vigilance, and Concealment for my skills. I don't have any aa upgrades whatsoever. I'm wondering what plane you find more value out of. Should I go for spotting plane to shoot over islands, or should I use fighter plane to help with carriers?

I always go with the spotter, it gives a 20% range increase for the main guns and the spotter plane is great for hitting campers

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Spotter is a direct counter to RNCLs... I forced myself to get better with spotter plane perspective since having it can really help devastate the RN cruisers. It's also obviously good for countering many DDs in smoke at range though they move around a lot more in their smoke. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

I prefer the fighter by a lot.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
536 posts
11,838 battles

Long time Yamato captain.  The above posters are correct, always the Fighter