Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

12 point Fiji captain - get a level 2 skill or wait?

12 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles

Current skills are Priority Target, Last Stand, Superintendent and Concealment Expert.

I have two skill points and wonder if either Expert Marksman, Smokescreen Expert or Adrenaline Rush is worthwhile.

I have considered AR a couple of times, but since the whole point of a British cruiser is that you have the ability to repair some of your damage, it seems counterproductive until you run out of heals (and sometimes you don't) - it seems more like a skill one should keep for ships that cannot repair.

Alternatively, are there better skills I could get at 3 or 4 points if I just hold off one more promotion? 

(I have considered training a captain for close range brawling with Expert Marksman, BFT, AFT and Demolition expert, just to see for the Lulz what a secondary-specced British cruiser could do in co-op.)

I also have a Leander captain who's on his 8th point and could grab a 2-point skill right away,  but in this case the decision is clear - save for Concealment Expert.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,775 posts
4,804 battles

Do you plan to respec later? If so, I’d use the points and get some value from them in the meantime. 

I understand what you’re saying about AR and you’re correct, heals would negate PART of that value, but it will have some benefit most of the game, it’s just better on other ships.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
933 posts
8,744 battles

Personally, I would take AR over last stand on a cruiser. Your engine and rudder aren’t knocked out that often but you always take damage. Even when they are, fires are put out so quick since they changed fire duration on cruisers I wouldn’t hesitate to damage con a knocked out rudder or engine (especially since you can repair all that fire damage). Next free CC retraining I’d recommend picking another skill instead of that one.

Getting to your original question, It depends on how you want to strengthen the ship. AR is always useful because even with the heal you still have unrepairable damage. The downside is that your reload is already so fast you don’t get much from it. Do you have problems keeping the turrets trained on target? Brit cruisers do turn quite fast, having EM definitely helps in this regard on the T6-T8 in the line. Smokescreen expert (or whatever that t2 skill is called) is really useful on Brit cruisers because it allows you to stop in your smoke sooner and gives you more room to maneuver once inside it.

What do I do? On the T6-T8 Brits I prefer to take all three of those, in the order of AR>EM>SE, after I get concealment expert. I hope this posts allows you to make a more informed decision.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
467 posts
5,417 battles

If found last stand to be pretty useless as I got better and moved up through the tiers, I'm at T8 on this line currently. I agree with others about AR, you WILL take damage and you can exploit it by holding off on healing. It's very useful. EM no, just no, complete waste on RN CL as the turrets just get faster as you progress. I'd hold off until you get 14 points for AFT because planes can ruin your day FAST, even being spotted briefly is enough to get deleted.

Edited by HeathenForay

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles
21 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

Personally, I would take AR over last stand on a cruiser. Your engine and rudder aren’t knocked out that often but you always take damage. Even when they are, fires are put out so quick since they changed fire duration on cruisers I wouldn’t hesitate to damage con a knocked out rudder or engine (especially since you can repair all that fire damage). Next free CC retraining I’d recommend picking another skill instead of that one.

Getting to your original question, It depends on how you want to strengthen the ship. AR is always useful because even with the heal you still have unrepairable damage. The downside is that your reload is already so fast you don’t get much from it. Do you have problems keeping the turrets trained on target? Brit cruisers do turn quite fast, having EM definitely helps in this regard on the T6-T8 in the line. Smokescreen expert (or whatever that t2 skill is called) is really useful on Brit cruisers because it allows you to stop in your smoke sooner and gives you more room to maneuver once inside it.

What do I do? On the T6-T8 Brits I prefer to take all three of those, in the order of AR>EM>SE, after I get concealment expert. I hope this posts allows you to make a more informed decision.

That's quite a smorgasbord of ideas, and I'm going to mull over them and consider exactly how they fit in with what they want to do. Thanks for this.

I have access to the Public Test Server now, and next time it's active (I think it goes off line before I'll get a chance to play tonight), I'm going to test these ideas out on the Fiji there. Respecs are cheap and I have more points on the PTS Fiji captain than I do right now on the live server, so there's scope to test for future improvements.

I should have mentioned - this captain will be STAYING on the Fiji forever, as I don't want to waste any effort retraining him. Eventually he'll be my first 19-pointer.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,535 battles

Id have taken AR over last stand as the first two point skill. 

But id wait for getting AFT as RN cruisers are brutal as AA vessels. Anything to increase preservation.

With the longer smoke puffs that RN CLs receive id skip the smoke skill entirely. 

Jack of all trades is also handy or basics of survivability for quality of life. 

Or toy around as i did with RdF for finding pesky DDs

Members
842 posts

You're gonna want to keep the Fiji - it's excellent for Scenarios and is a very powerful ship for Random games.

For the Leander, I'd recommend working on making that captain a 10 pointer, so you can transfer it to Edinburgh and use it to level T8-10.  Leave the captain on Fiji as-is, and go for a 19-pointer there.

As far as the Fiji's captain goes, I'd highly recommend getting these skills, in this order:

1. PT
  2. AR
  3. SI
  4. CE
  5. SE

That's 13 points. The remaining 6 you can think of in any of these combinations:

• EM & RL :  this works very well for DD-hunting, as it maximizes your turret rotation for knife-fighting (which the Fiji is excellent at) and then RL tells you where the DDs are.
  • SSE & AFT:  this works really well for people who like to smoke camp.  You get a much larger smoke screen (and if you're Divisioning a lot, that's REALLY nice), particularly if you have Jack Dunkirik (+30% instead of +20%).  AFT lets your secondaries work better from that smoke, especially once the opponent gets inside your smoke-firing-concealment range, and you don't want to give away your position.  It also enhances AA enough to easily (and quickly) snuff out those pesky spotter planes.
  • EM & SSE & JoAT - for the maximum flexibility

I'd also recommend taking AAMod2 over MBM2, unless you're going for the full knife-fighter route.

You should probably get rid of Last Stand - if you're getting smacked enough to lose your rudder/engine, you're in deeper problems than just having your rudder/engine knocked out.  That is, the Fiji doesn't particularly suffer from engine/rudder damage (unlike, say, DDs or French cruisers), and getting smacked by anything big enough to knock them out means you're in a world of pain already.  Use the 2 points for other skills that let you avoid being smacked in the first place.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles
On 4/16/2018 at 8:06 PM, _greifer said:

Id have taken AR over last stand as the first two point skill. 

But id wait for getting AFT as RN cruisers are brutal as AA vessels. Anything to increase preservation.

With the longer smoke puffs that RN CLs receive id skip the smoke skill entirely. 

Jack of all trades is also handy or basics of survivability for quality of life. 

Or toy around as i did with RdF for finding pesky DDs

In short, hold off and wait for better things. Gotcha. See also below.

On 4/17/2018 at 12:34 AM, EAnybody said:

You're gonna want to keep the Fiji - it's excellent for Scenarios and is a very powerful ship for Random games.

For the Leander, I'd recommend working on making that captain a 10 pointer, so you can transfer it to Edinburgh and use it to level T8-10.  Leave the captain on Fiji as-is, and go for a 19-pointer there.

As far as the Fiji's captain goes, I'd highly recommend getting these skills, in this order:

1. PT
  2. AR
  3. SI
  4. CE
  5. SE

That's 13 points. The remaining 6 you can think of in any of these combinations:

• EM & RL :  this works very well for DD-hunting, as it maximizes your turret rotation for knife-fighting (which the Fiji is excellent at) and then RL tells you where the DDs are.
  • SSE & AFT:  this works really well for people who like to smoke camp.  You get a much larger smoke screen (and if you're Divisioning a lot, that's REALLY nice), particularly if you have Jack Dunkirik (+30% instead of +20%).  AFT lets your secondaries work better from that smoke, especially once the opponent gets inside your smoke-firing-concealment range, and you don't want to give away your position.  It also enhances AA enough to easily (and quickly) snuff out those pesky spotter planes.
  • EM & SSE & JoAT - for the maximum flexibility

I'd also recommend taking AAMod2 over MBM2, unless you're going for the full knife-fighter route.

You should probably get rid of Last Stand - if you're getting smacked enough to lose your rudder/engine, you're in deeper problems than just having your rudder/engine knocked out.  That is, the Fiji doesn't particularly suffer from engine/rudder damage (unlike, say, DDs or French cruisers), and getting smacked by anything big enough to knock them out means you're in a world of pain already.  Use the 2 points for other skills that let you avoid being smacked in the first place.

I am definitely keeping the Fiji, regardless of anything else I do. She's my go-to for Randoms, and I don''t at all mind being uptiered (though I tend to play more cautiously if there are lots of T8 and T9 ships about). In live server, my current Fiji build is PT, LS, SI, CE, so it's almost what you've got there. Read on.

I am playing around with various Fiji builds on the test server at the moment, then I will re-spec the captain at the next free do-over. Last night I created a mad secondaries/close-up build including EM, AR, BFT, AFT, DE with flood and fire starting (and suppressing) flags to match, and took it into co-op to try it out; it seems to work, and of course it also builds the AA firepower up something pretty significant.

I found my rudder getting smacked around a lot in the early days and kept LS from force of habit, but I may change it out at the next free re-spec if PTS experience suggests I can get away with it (though if I'm brawling with enemy ships at close range, keeping it might be a very good idea). I will take the PTS ship into Randoms tonight and see how things go down.

I find the Leander too useful for T6-restricted operations to take an experienced captain away from her, to say nothing of retraining costs (I'm free-to-play and I have other plans for the elite captain XP I won during Space Battles). I have a captain on the Edinburgh that I am working on right now, and he stays there for the time being.

Many thanks for the advice. Much to consider and play around with!

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,578 battles

PT, JoaT, EM, SSE, AR, SE, SI, CE. Job done.

Don't need LS. EM is not necessary but it's nice to have when you've got points spare. AFT or BFT are options if you want to beef up your AA, but I wouldn't count on them for secondaries; if the enemy is that close then you're better using your torpedoes. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles
On 4/16/2018 at 8:26 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

this captain will be STAYING on the Fiji forever,

Cancel that; he moved to the Edinburgh because (a) I wanted to try Ranked and (b) I wanted the best possible ship to take into Randoms to chase the permanent campaigns.

He is now a THIRTEEN point captain with the last three points unspent. The question is now rephrased in that context. I have also decided to try radar for a while, so smokescreen expert will be a less useful skill. However, it makes me consider Vigilance (if I'm going after destroyers), BFT (for the secondaries-AA boost) or even AFT (once I get an extra point) to increase the range first.

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,275 battles
On 4/15/2018 at 8:04 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Current skills are Priority Target, Last Stand, Superintendent and Concealment Expert.

I have two skill points and wonder if either Expert Marksman, Smokescreen Expert or Adrenaline Rush is worthwhile.

I have considered AR a couple of times, but since the whole point of a British cruiser is that you have the ability to repair some of your damage, it seems counterproductive until you run out of heals (and sometimes you don't) - it seems more like a skill one should keep for ships that cannot repair.

Alternatively, are there better skills I could get at 3 or 4 points if I just hold off one more promotion? 

(I have considered training a captain for close range brawling with Expert Marksman, BFT, AFT and Demolition expert, just to see for the Lulz what a secondary-specced British cruiser could do in co-op.)

I also have a Leander captain who's on his 8th point and could grab a 2-point skill right away,  but in this case the decision is clear - save for Concealment Expert.

I just picked-up my 12th point on my Fiji captain. I added Adrenaline Rush. The very next game I got 6 kills.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles
On 28/05/2018 at 11:16 AM, Grflrgl said:

I just picked-up my 12th point on my Fiji captain. I added Adrenaline Rush. The very next game I got 6 kills.

In the end, I got my Edin captain to 13 points, picked up Survivability Expert and got the extra HP it gives you. I might add AR at 15 points and then think about what to add for the last four. IFHE makes no sense; manual secondaries makes no sense... it might be just as well to pick up the two-point survivability skills.

Sign in to follow this