Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

God forbid but can a dd driver do well in BBs?

11 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,785 battles

Am at Tier 8 with the USN dd line and getting tired of fighting radar cruisers so took a break and played some of my other ships.  I have exactly TWO battleships (the Wyoming and the New York).  Surprisingly, it turns out that I'm not bad driving them.  My "secret" is that I can anticipate dd drivers' moves and counter them.  Can't say that I'm in love with the line, but I have a much more healthy respect for it.

If we meet in battle and I am in one of my beloved USN dds, I will be a royal pain in your butt.  Did want you guys to know that I have a new and healthy respect for what you BB drivers contribute to the game.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,385 battles

Eh, I play DDs and BBs and I think I'm alright at both. A lot of the strategic skills you learn can apply to any class, it's really only tactics that vary.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,283 posts
3,589 battles

Both require to a certain extent the most coveted of all captain skills: patience.

Members
956 posts
11,145 battles

Hmmm playing all the ship types lets you have a better understanding of the game?  Who would have thought.

[HINON]
Members
8,778 posts

If you don't mind those 2 bbs, i think you'll enjoy the rest of the line as they only get better imo.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,364 posts
7,930 battles
57 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

If you don't mind those 2 bbs, i think you'll enjoy the rest of the line as they only get better imo.

This, Wyoming and NY were painful, NM... well, it was love hate but I left it for AZ once I got one (maximum troll armour), Colorado....well, yeah, okay back when I had to play it it really sucked but it got better apparently - but  I love NC and Iowa....least when my Iowa doesn't get abandoned by the team and I'm 5 on 1 suddenly.

Why usually when someone complains, especially about CV's, I tell them to go play one (albeit with CV's they have to at least get to t6/7 to truly understand) or the ship they take issue with. The whole "Art of War" thing kinda applies of "Know the enemy and thy self". Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the ship your dealing with and the one your sailing, gives you all he more advantage. As a CV player, barring guys that truly know manual drop like myself, I can minimize or outright avoid damage, like a Saipan that kept trying to torp me but almost never hit me as I charged his way in an AZ. Playing DD's I know most's range and tactics, and so know if the torps reach near me they are at least x range away and their general direction. Why yesterday/day before while in a GK I was engaged by 3 DD's, yet they failed to score any real hits till I had to get into auto spot range of one of them while they were in smoke (as hydro was down). I only got a Saipan to learn how to beat it, or troll when I'm having a bad day. Turns out it's on the knifes edge - without the AS skill, it's not nearly as hard to take down, especially less experienced players, however, AS skill makes the difference that causes it to basically be OP.

Ship gives you a headache and you can do so - get it. Most times, you'll find out it's not as OP or easy to play as it seems. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

From your DD experience, patience and wary of being singled out for focus fire will help you survive in a BB.  Also, your torpedo experience will help you in saving your ship from not being that easy target that DDs look for.  You know what it's like from the torpedo launching side, you know the signs you want to see in an idiot victim, now use that in your BB to not be that easy victim.

What you do have to get used to is you of course no longer have that amazing stealth, speed, maneuverability, and also smoke to get you out of trouble as a BB.  Your game experience on "proper position" is more crucial in a BB because you simply can't turn around real quick, pop smoke, and retreat.  Put yourself in a bad spot in a BB, you get focused hard and can die quickly.

You of course get to enjoy having long range, powerful guns that can smash ships.  You can finally see what it's like landing a bunch of BB AP shells into another DD.  The price you pay is dealing with RNG, Dispersion, and longer reloads.  You get to be good in your aim.  RNG, Dispersion come and go, they bless you one salvo and curse you the next.  But if your aim is inconsistent, then you'll have a frustrating time on BBs until you get the hang of it.

Also, your understanding of concealment mechanics as a DD should help you get a better ability to isolate what's outspotting you from where.  A lot of new players that jump straight into BBs with no Cruiser, Destroyer experience don't truly get the hang of concealment mechanics until much later.  That's why you get these threads on the boards every now and then by a BB player, "That destroyer popped out of nowhere at 2km and torped me!"

Members
1,502 posts
7,911 battles

Hey 

I started with BB and enjoyed, then I went after cruisers and have enjoyed and the last few months been working more with DD's and enjoy that too.  I will say that I struggle the most with DD's only that I find it hard to try an knife fight with them, between the gun arc's, the lead time and using smoke to it's maximum effectiveness in saving my own hide.  Torps are kind of frustrating connecting, and that torp guide usually bites me in the butt.  They are all fun but in different ways; that being said, I have been very frustrated with the BB players in the last 6-12 months with all of the passive, camping play I see.  Rarely do they push like when I started; I see the same thing in cruisers and DD's not playing the objective but not quite as much.  I was thinking of trying carriers and was going to add the Graf Zeppelin to my German fleet but the fiasco with it's rollout has pretty much ended my interest in carriers.  So it's about 45% BB's, 45% cruisers and 10% DD's (and have a lot to learn yet).  On DD's I do much better hunting ships than I do getting and holding caps (too many times it's without support).

Pete 

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,499 battles
On 4/14/2018 at 10:35 PM, AMajor said:

Am at Tier 8 with the USN dd line and getting tired of fighting radar cruisers so took a break and played some of my other ships.  I have exactly TWO battleships (the Wyoming and the New York).  Surprisingly, it turns out that I'm not bad driving them.  My "secret" is that I can anticipate dd drivers' moves and counter them.  Can't say that I'm in love with the line, but I have a much more healthy respect for it.

If we meet in battle and I am in one of my beloved USN dds, I will be a royal pain in your butt.  Did want you guys to know that I have a new and healthy respect for what you BB drivers contribute to the game.

I had the same path. I was a USN DD main (I'm still a DD main, but now i play probably 40% of games in DD and that used to be closer to 80%) but when I started playing BB more, I noticed I very rarely ate torps even though I'm a very aggressive player who is constantly pushing and brawling. It took me a while to really get the hang of lining up perfect shots since BBs emphasize high-alpha strikes and when you miss, unlike DDs, you have to wait a while to shoot again. But positioning and evading came easy to me.  

A good DD player, when playing a BB, can apply that experience and know where DDs are likely to be,  when and from what angles torps are likely to come, and how to mitigate torp.damage and HE spam effectively. It's almost instinctive. When I play BB, I'm usually the guy chasing DDs, threading torp spreads and making them hate me.  I am not the best BB player at nailing long-range multi-citadel alpha strikes, but I'm great at using my DD instincts to control cap areas and bully DDs and cruisers in a brawl. 

As Ive said in chat a few times,  my Alsace and Republique identify as gunboat DDs. ;)

As an aside, you said you're on New York and fyi, USN BBs tend to be strongest at mid -range. As a USN DD aficionado, I would recommend you try the German and French BB lines. I fell in love with German BBs, amd now I love French BBs even more but they're both solid lines for someone who likes aggressive play. Once you get to Alsace, its as close as you can get to a USN DD playstyle in a BB. 

Edited by poeticmotion

[STEM]
Beta Testers
83 posts
711 battles

new york is a luck based ship, if you aim well you get over or under or shell fractures, you get one shotted from the front, it's difficult to avoid torpedoes with and it has that one irritating center gun that is useless 90% of the time.

it's a pile of trash. I think it's worse than the miyogi because at least the miyogi became dangerous at close range, but then again dont forget this is a company that sprinkles "stinkers" into the tech tree to try and """encourage""" people to spend money.

[USCGC]
Members
120 posts
8,036 battles

I enjoy BBs and Cruisers and even the DDs but honestly I am wild with torpedo shots and I hit too many friendly targets from DDs so gave them up.  May be that I am too old and they turn too fast can't say for sure but I know when to give up.  Torps from Cruisers pose no problem so I'm good there when I use them.

Sign in to follow this