You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FATEdPondera

Citadels and frustation in general

64 comments in this topic

Members
48 posts
524 battles

Ugh.... I just don't get it. I've read all kinds of guides and articles, looked at videos, and tried various aiming schemes. I've tried sniping in the back with spotter planes, advancing with the team, picking off ships that are isolated (though THAT's usually a trap), and nothing I do seems to yield any better result! I know where citadels are, okay? In general, they are located under smoke stacks, close to the water line, and possibly beneath turrets though I'm not sure if that has been altered. But actually hitting the damn things feels like winning the lottery. However, pretty much every single game, the citadel bass is dropping on me like I'm in some kind of bizarre dubstep nightclub where everyone is trying to murder me. Literally, every single game tonight has yielded a citadel hit on me. And I know that presenting my broadside to the enemy is a no-no, but they seem to be able to do that all day long, and they are perfect safe from me, regardless of how many times I hit them. There's been times where I've sank in 3 separate barrages, and they don't even turn, yet I can't seem to nail that goddamn elusive citadel shot. It's doubly so frustrating because I see people like Yuro on youtube who can do this at will whenever an enemy presents them with a chance to do so. Like his Musashi video? He slam dunks a dude across the map with 9 AP shells, and one shots him. And I'm sitting there like "oh wow, that's great. How the hell do I do that?" This is the exact same issue that led to me uninstalling this game last year, and I'm considering doing that again because evidently this is now a skill I am able to master. I have to be doing something wrong.

I just don't get it.. =.=

Members
17,817 posts
5,087 battles

Practice, practice, and more practice.

Biggest thing IMO is reading the ship angle correctly. If a ship is headed slightly towards you, it'll look like a flat broadside. If you aim at the waterline, by the time the ship has travelled the time it takes your shells to get there, you'll hit the upper belt instead.

I always sneak a quick glance at the minimap whenever it looks like I have a broadside target, then I know if I actually have to aim below the waterline (or above)

Members
9,868 posts
6 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

Ugh.... I just don't get it. I've read all kinds of guides and articles, looked at videos, and tried various aiming schemes. I've tried sniping in the back with spotter planes, advancing with the team, picking off ships that are isolated (though THAT's usually a trap), and nothing I do seems to yield any better result! I know where citadels are, okay? In general, they are located under smoke stacks, close to the water line, and possibly beneath turrets though I'm not sure if that has been altered. But actually hitting the damn things feels like winning the lottery. However, pretty much every single game, the citadel bass is dropping on me like I'm in some kind of bizarre dubstep nightclub where everyone is trying to murder me. Literally, every single game tonight has yielded a citadel hit on me. And I know that presenting my broadside to the enemy is a no-no, but they seem to be able to do that all day long, and they are perfect safe from me, regardless of how many times I hit them. There's been times where I've sank in 3 separate barrages, and they don't even turn, yet I can't seem to nail that goddamn elusive citadel shot. It's doubly so frustrating because I see people like Yuro on youtube who can do this at will whenever an enemy presents them with a chance to do so. Like his Musashi video? He slam dunks a dude across the map with 9 AP shells, and one shots him. And I'm sitting there like "oh wow, that's great. How the hell do I do that?" This is the exact same issue that led to me uninstalling this game last year, and I'm considering doing that again because evidently this is now a skill I am able to master. I have to be doing something wrong.

You have 284 battles, that's really not enough to get much,unless you are super special...

And 284 battles in a years time isn't going to do much either...unfortunately to get a feel for this game takes quite a bit more time investment....

Edited by awiggin

[WORX]
Members
1,648 posts
12,706 battles

the problem is information or lack there of, the second part of the lottery of getting Citadels is the armor thickness compared to what caliber guns you are using. What ships are your using ?

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,884 battles

I used to feel that way to when I started this game... But one day after grinding my way through the US Cruiser line I discovered the Citadel printing machine called Des Moines lol.

So do not worry you will discover yours as well.

5ad2adcd0628c_Des2.thumb.png.9d4a49eb75bcbaf4dd9547326ddaae15.png

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
552 posts
4,747 battles

You have 284 games. That's nowhere near enough experience in the game yet. 

The most important thing in the game is positioning. You have to be close enough to do damage, but in a way where you aren't too close to the enemy and you have a way out when things go sour.
Avoid being broadside to the enemy, if you do then try to do it after the enemy has shot. 
Also, low tier battleships have horrid dispersion, so hitting citadels will be harder until Tier 5.
Destroyers have no citadels, so don't bother trying to find them. Normal hits on destroyers is enough to deal significant damage on them. 

Edited by mrmariokartguy

Members
48 posts
524 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

the problem is information or lack there of, the second part of the lottery of getting Citadels is the armor thickness compared to what caliber guns you are using. What ships are your using ?

Fuso, Furutaka, and occasionally, the Phoenix for the USN. With the Fuso, I've had the occasional citadel hit, but it's 99% luck rather than something I intended to do.

1 hour ago, awiggin said:

You have 284 battles, that's really not enough to get much,unless you are super special...

And 284 battles in a years time isn't going to do much either...unfortunately to get a feel for this game takes quite a bit more time investment....

It's just hard to muster the motivation when I feel like I'm contributing absolutely nothing to the fight. I'm either stuck in the back playing it safe and accomplishing very little, or trying to advance with my team, getting shot up and dying quickly.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
10 minutes ago, awiggin said:

This.

Keep at it. I really take offense to people calling this an *arcade game.* There are all kinds of nuances to mastering or at least getting decent at it. Leanr to shoot, learn to dodge, above all keep your eye on the minimap. The minimap is God, even more than RNG-Jesus.

[INTEL]
Members
8,443 posts
25,340 battles
16 hours ago, FATEdPondera said:

This is the exact same issue that led to me uninstalling this game last year, and I'm considering doing that again because evidently this is now a skill I am able to master. I have to be doing something wrong.

Right now you have 264 games. You have played only IJN BBs with their notorious dispersion -- Fuso is basically a shotgun, and each shell has its own private zip code. You aren't going to get many cits. 

More importantly, you have only 4 battles in BBs in coop. If you want to learn to cit, take Kongo and Fuso into Coop and play 50-100 games. I have 70 in that ship, which I play very well, and I occasionally still play it in coop. You can never practice enough, frankly, and bots will teach you how to put cits on angled ships, and how to brawl so you can get cits at close range. 

If you have no $$, take that Ishi into coop and practice. Although I recommend that you buy a Texas and practice in coop with that. You will make a little silver, and you will put lots of cits on things. Cit-hitting with Ishi on BBs is difficult. 

The single most important thing you can do to learn how to cit is to be patient. Be patient. Be patient. Wait for the ship to turn so you can catch it in a turn with an exposed broadside. Then you will get cits. If you are not patient enough to let Red give you his side, those cits won't come. 

Edited by Taichunger

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,052 battles
Just now, FATEdPondera said:

Fuso, Furutaka, and occasionally, the Phoenix for the USN. With the Fuso, I've had the occasional citadel hit, but it's 99% luck rather than something I intended to do.

Furutaka can front citadel most same tier cruiser but also punish broadside high tier cruiser. If you don't know where are their citadel just look them in the port.

Fusou isn't really accurate, it's like shotgun. The closer you get from your target the higher your damage will be. You can citadel cruisers with this ship but don't expect citadels on each volley, unless your ennemi is sailing broadside at each volley.

Low-Mid tier BB aren't really accurate but once you start playing T8, BB gameplay becomes a point and click then devastating strike. Especially accurate BB like NC, Iowa, Montana and Yamato

[DAS]
Members
343 posts
4,196 battles

I feel your pain.

Sometimes it is like RNG doesn't want you to get those citadels no matter what. I remember a game with a Cleveland broadside on at 8-10 KM for 3 salvos (from a BB) and not a single citadel. He never changed speed or direction and I just hit him for 5-10K with my salvos, which is OK but I should have deleted him with the first salvo.

[WORX]
Members
1,648 posts
12,706 battles
3 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

eanr to shoot, learn to dodge, above all keep your eye on the minimap. The minimap is God, even more than RNG-Jesus.

I dont think that is the issue, I think he don;t know armor thickness and gun caliber nor what targets to aim.

5 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

Fuso, Furutaka, and occasionally, the Phoenix for the USN. With the Fuso

If your driving a BB, I recommend sinking cruisers from the start then aim for the BBs.

IF your driving a cruiser, its a crap shoot in the lower tiers but in the upper and higher tiers it does improve. Practice is key but knowing the armor thinkness to your gun caliber will ultimately will give you that edge you seek. GL

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Practice is the only way to get your Cits on a reliable basis. A Great place to do this practice is in Scenarios. The Bots are aggressive and sneaky lil bastages. Plus the Payouts are better than Co-OP and as equal to Randoms. Tier 6 and 7 ships are required so the post battle repairs are almost nothing. Scenarios are easy to hard depending on your team and team makeup. 

• Cool 1

Members
126 posts
303 battles

It probably took me 1500+ games before I became skilled enough to reliably citadel ships at medium ranges, say 8-15Km roughly. It just takes practice and getting the aiming systems down. As long as you’re landing shells consistently and doing damage, you have nothing to worry about and I guarantee that you’ll find success — and probably a lot sooner than I did. Play the game, my friend, don’t let the game play you.

Good hunting.

• Cool 1

Members
48 posts
524 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Furutaka can front citadel most same tier cruiser but also punish broadside high tier cruiser. If you don't know where are their citadel just look them in the port.

Um.....how? I've looked at the armor read outs for things like the Furutaka practically mooning the enemy with its side-board citadels, and, by my eye, the Fuso's citadels are almost entirely below the water line, rendering it only vulnerable from plunging fire.....but, still get slam dunked once per round. I have to be reading this wrong

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,052 battles
1 minute ago, FATEdPondera said:

Um.....how? I've looked at the armor read outs for things like the Furutaka practically mooning the enemy with its side-board citadels, and, by my eye, the Fuso's citadels are almost entirely below the water line, rendering it only vulnerable from plunging fire.....but, still get slam dunked once per round. I have to be reading this wrong

Members
48 posts
524 battles

@AlcatrazNC .........

See, it's those kinds of videos right there that makes me feel like an idiot. 34 seconds into the game and he nails a citadel without half a thought! I mean....wth!!!!

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,052 battles
1 minute ago, FATEdPondera said:

@AlcatrazNC .........

See, it's those kinds of videos right there that makes me feel like an idiot. 34 seconds into the game and he nails a citadel without half a thought! I mean....wth!!!!

He has thousands of battle, I have thousands of battle, most people her have thousands of battle. Just keep playing when you have time and it will come naturally 

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

Like above comments, it was 1000 games before i could predict a citadel hit.

Also highly dependant on the ships involved, and angles. Not all ships get citadeled unless really flat, some are under water, your guns may not be capable of penetrating, rng on the shot mechanics must play friendly.

Most likely at this point the angles are getting you, might look like a good angle if your view is front guns (10* +/-) but if you are firing rear gun, can easily be 35 degrees. So only 1/2 your shells are going the right angle.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,678 posts
7,503 battles
27 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

Depends on the ship, usually under 8 k mid tier Cruiser I’ll switch to AP and wait for broadside in my Zao it’s 12 k and under

I hit a De Moines at 12 k who was so intent on Torping  a B.B. he exposed his broadside perfectly to me and I got 6 citadels in one shot

its really the angle that has to be just right for citadel

[MIA-A]
Members
1,976 posts
6,570 battles
49 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

The single most important thing you can do to learn how to cit is to be patient. Be patient. Be patient. Wait for the ship to turn so you can catch it in a turn with an exposed broadside. Then you will get cits. If you are not patient enough to let Red give you his side, those cits won't come. 

This is a really important part.

A lot of people think they should shoot in battleships as soon as their reload comes. Those people are wrong and will always be worse than those that don't.

[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts
4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

A lot of people think they should shoot in battleships as soon as their reload comes. Those people are wrong and will always be worse than those that don't.

The patient hunter gets the prey.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
16 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Many times you can continually cycle the guns, by choocing the broadside presented, and just switching targets...hell you got 30ish seconds to switch aim.

Although my scores went way up the moment i learned to pause and breathe before just shooting nonstop.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
59 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

@AlcatrazNC .........

First Flamu has a nautral talent,

Second he can tell you off the top of his head nearly any factor of any ship (shell size/speed/alpha, concealment value stock/upgrade/with capt skill/concealment mod)

3rd, he has four accounts i know of that total 25k or more battles.

Its not worth beating yourself up that you cant do advanced calculus and theoretical astrophysics in your head just because stephen hawking could.

Flamu plays almost as many battles in 2 weeks as you have so far.

• Cool 2