Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Continuing in my quest to be a better player

6 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,785 battles

Am now at the mid-tier USN dds Farragut-Benson with a scary battle or two in the Gearing with my clanmates.  My win rate is going up but my battle damage is going down.  I find myself doing more things to help the team (like providing smoke screens and using my long range torps as area denial) and less time being a sneaky dd driver.  I also seem to be dying later in the game a lot more than I'm comfortable with (usually circling back to defend a Cap or trying to help out a cruiser who's gotten themselves in a fix).

I understand that historically, this was the role of these ships. they were fleet dds.  It doesn't mean that they play that role in WOWs.  There has to be a balance between defending teammates and attacking targets.  I'm wondering if I'm being too cautious with my gameplay, especially in light of better CV play and radar cruisers.  Team wins are nice but on a personal level, I like it when I'm near the top of the list with damage.

I would ask if anyone would like to join me in a training room in a pure dd on dd Tier VII battle to help me improve my gameplay on attacking red dds.  Then, I'd like to take on some radar cruisers in the training room in order to practice how to hide from those guys.  Anyone game to help make a WOWs player better?

[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,070 battles

Nothing wrong with surviving longer if your helping your teammates you're already doing better than most.

[B_O_W]
Members
239 posts
5,294 battles

It is not just good game play to support the team that helps you be successful, it is a sign of good character to have that as a part of your natural thinking.

My complements to AMajor.

[-AA-]
[-AA-]
Members
72 posts
12,539 battles

I have to compliment you Amajor since it's intuitive for dd players to be overtly aggressive and to fall for the trap of dying 5 into a match.

It's always good to stay alive and seek opportunity to strike. 

One caveat though is that even though you wish to avoid risks, it's important  to position your ship in a place where you can help the team. For instance, pushing DDs into the cap may sound too risky, but that doesn't mean we ignore the cap at all. We can try other ways to keep the cap contested:butt in the cap/skim around the cap/ torp denial into the cap/ flank a cap position. 

Anyway, good luck on your DD training. You're starting on the right track. The rest has to do with wisdom and experiences. 

Edited by dearmrfrodo1

[RUST]
Beta Testers
53 posts
5,583 battles

It is entirely possible to do a lot of damage with the Gearing, but it's an uphill battle. Remember, though, that a lot of the problems you run into, radar and CVs, are problematic for other destroyers. There's a pretty fine line you have to strike, because you can beat other destroyers most of the time in a fight, but you can't just charge into a cap without help. Manage your distances, know how far the radar on various cruisers can reach. Luckily when you're at the Mahan and onward you have torpedoes with decent range to go with their quantity, try and figure out how to use them not just to deal damage, but to stall the opposing team if it's unfavorable for you.

Ultimately, though, a clan mate of mine said that the Shimakaze is better when you're soloing, Gearing is better when you're in a division/clan battle. Doesn't operate autonomously as well.

Sign in to follow this