You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

CONFESSIONS OF A YAMATO LOVER

6 comments in this topic

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles

Yamato.jpg.b7fbcbcb652ef7269b876e2f08b7cfef.jpg

My very own Yamato

I remember when I was a newb advancing up IJN BB and cruiser lines, every new tier was a revelation--wow, the power, the unfolding possibilities... When I got to tier VIII I got my first glimpse of the mythic Yamato in battle... omfg look at that beast! I want her.

And btw I will never refer to her as the "Yammy" as I consider that trite and disrespectful. The Yamato people, or Yamato minzoku are the dominant ethic group in Japan who ultimately elevated their own belief system that featured ancestor worship into a national religion known as Shinto. The Yamato clan set up Japan's first and only dynasty. It's a complicated history and you can look it up to read about it.

When I finally got her I expected a massive behemoth, slow and clumsy but able to take punishment (as the Nelson proved to be but with her own strengths and charm). That she can be but she is far more of a dynamic ship than I had imagined., Even so, I was still a newb in ways and I was intimidated with her; I tried her out and put her aside after awhile as my WR tier IX and X was really not stellar (still is). I wish other newbs who advanced up that fast through the tiers were as sensible. I win more battles than I lose at this point is about how I would put it, very uneven performance but that results in part from my being a collector over stat-monger--I play all my 83 ships whether I am good in them or not, because ship differences and their varied history is catnip to me. After my first battle in Yamato I was hooked and knew I would get back to her... but I knew I had to get better, and wait a while.

Spoiler

5ad2896c1756f_YamatoSuccess.thumb.jpg.db7f135643e5698a24dc032a149f690a.jpg

The ship is amazing but intimidation with her loomed--I mean I know the above score in my first battle is nothing to seriously brag about--unicums on this can top 300k+, and often. My point is that she is like a fine wine, to be decanted when you are ready, a special occasion. For myself this will be the finish of the Yamamoto Isoruku Campaign when I get that 15-point captain of the same name... guess where he is going?

Yamato will then get okubetsu Kōgekitai (特別攻撃隊), her second or divine wind in my fleet, though not as an intentional kamikaze.

Fair Seas.

• Cool 3

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,714 posts
3,941 battles

What you do in your own port with your fat ships is none of my business...

• Funny 4
  • Bad 2

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,236 posts
10,587 battles
32 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Yamato.jpg.b7fbcbcb652ef7269b876e2f08b7cfef.jpg

My very own Yamato

I remember when I was a newb advancing up IJN BB and cruiser lines, every new tier was a revelation--wow, the power, the unfolding possibilities... When I got to tier VIII I got my first glimpse of the mythic Yamato in battle... omfg look at that beast! I want her.

And btw I will never refer to her as the "Yammy" as I consider that trite and disrespectful. The Yamato people, or Yamato minzoku are the dominant ethic group in Japan who ultimately elevated their own belief system that featured ancestor worship into a national religion known as Shinto. The Yamato clan set up Japan's first and only dynasty. It's a complicated history and you can look it up to read about it.

When I finally got her I expected a massive behemoth, slow and clumsy but able to take punishment (as the Nelson proved to be but with her own strengths and charm). That she can be but she is far more of a dynamic ship than I had imagined., Even so, I was still a newb in ways and I was intimidated with her; I tried her out and put her aside after awhile as my WR tier IX and X was really not stellar (still is). I wish other newbs who advanced up that fast through the tiers were as sensible. I win more battles than I lose at this point is about how I would put it, very uneven performance but that results in part from my being a collector over stat-monger--I play all my 83 ships whether I am good in them or not, because ship differences and their varied history is catnip to me. After my first battle in Yamato I was hooked and knew I would get back to her... but I knew I had to get better, and wait a while.

Reveal hidden contents

5ad2896c1756f_YamatoSuccess.thumb.jpg.db7f135643e5698a24dc032a149f690a.jpg

The ship is amazing but intimidation with her loomed--I mean I know the above score in my first battle is nothing to seriously brag about--unicums on this can top 300k+, and often. My point is that she is like a fine wine, to be decanted when you are ready, a special occasion. For myself this will be the finish of the Yamamoto Isoruku Campaign when I get that 15-point captain of the same name... guess where he is going?

Yamato will then get okubetsu Kōgekitai (特別攻撃隊), her second or divine wind in my fleet, though not as an intentional kamikaze.

Fair Seas.

Gonna need a few minutes alone after reading this...

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
20 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Gonna need a few minutes alone after reading this...

lol

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
1 hour ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

What you do in your own port with your fat ships is none of my business...

And yet you mentioned it.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

I hear you. Tier 8 is my sweet spot for BBs, but I did get the Yamato because, well, it's the Yamato! Only sailed her a half dozen times. She's a very sensitive ship. Nowhere near as tanky as she should be and always in serious danger if she's caught out alone ... but those guns .. oh god those guns!