Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheLastReaper

Nicholas or Farragut for its tier?

35 comments in this topic

Members
292 posts

Which of the 2, Nicholas or Farragut, do you believe is the better DD for its tier?

Also if you had to name a dog of the US DD line tier 5-10, which would it be?

[IN3PT]
Members
193 posts
11,137 battles

They are all solid dds... T7 - T10 are some of the best ingame. 

If I had to choose between the Nicholas or Farrugut, if say the latter. But just grind the Mahan and have even more fun now with its torp buff to 9km or so.

[TF-64]
Members
363 posts
12,573 battles

Love the Farragut. But no dogs in the whole DD line. Nicholas is one I haven't kept so it's the closest to a dog in my opinion but I'd say a long way from one. 

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Farragut.

Not because Farragut is necessarily better in its tier than Nicholas, but because I am bottom tier when playing tier 6 ships 31% of the time, but 69% of the time when playing tier 5 ships.

The dog of the US destroyer line is Sampson.  The rest are solid.

*Edit - oh, you said dog over T5?  Ummm, well...nope, I got nothing.  Gearing?

Edited by desmo_2

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

Farragut would be my choice. Probably the best cap contesting boat in it's tier.

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles

Going with what all the other people said, Farragut is just a great little ship. I have 2,200+ WTR in it (I have no clue how, honestly). I really enjoyed it. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,034 posts
16,968 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

The dog of the US destroyer line is Sampson.  The rest are solid.

Smith might be a contender for that title... It’s practically @Lert‘s T1-1/2 Dutch(?) torpedo boat... Only thing that saves it from its own tiny health pool and equally tiny, if rapid-firing cork guns, it the fact it can potentially launch a torpedo every five seconds...

Didn’t keep Nicholas; but its DF can make for a nasty little surprise at Tier 5.

Farragut hasn’t been spectacular for me; but it has been solid.

Dogs?

Benson. Other players can say it’s great all they want; I can’t make it work worth a fat rodent’s bottom, so effectively it’s worthless junk to me.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Smith might be a contender for that title... It’s practically @Lert‘s T1-1/2 Dutch(?) torpedo boat...

I am summoned! Hmmm. A reference to my old Z5 thread I see~

[N-SE]
[N-SE]
Members
26 posts
2,127 battles

People consistently underestimate the Nicholas. I have found it to be the single best tier for tier knife fighter given its speed, double sided torps, and concealment. In my opinion the extra gun and slightly smaller turning circle of the Farragut don't make up for the loss of HP, speed, concealment, and a worse torpedo armament when compared to the Nicholas. This is even more significant given you move up a tier for that arguable downgrade.

[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles

Nicholas is still in inventory, farragut was sold.

Why: I have a really hard time telling the two apart, go to the numbers and nicholas is actually scored higher, nicholas only sees T7 opponents, farragut cost more.

So in conclusion they are basically the same ship, except for the price and the MM, both favor Nick.

[SYN]
Members
4,521 posts
11,433 battles

The US DD line, for once, is solid from start to finish.  While some are certainly better in their tiers than others, there isn't a bad boat in the entire line.

Now, I don't have the Smith.  On paper it looks awful, but I initially felt the same way about many boats, only to come away being very impressed after using them.

I have a soft spot for the Farragut.  My most-played and one of the most successful boats I've played.

I don't have the Nicholas in port now.  I should give it a look...

Edited by Kuckoo

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
13 hours ago, TheLastReaper said:

Which of the 2, Nicholas or Farragut, do you believe is the better DD for its tier?

Both tied , as equal in my book. Anything tier 3 and below is a dog of a ship :cap_hmm:

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
674 posts
5,137 battles
13 hours ago, Dr_Dirt said:

both are good fun....if you like gunboating

Gun boats, HA.  Maybe when the only other DDs were the first line of Japanese DDs, many newer dds are better gun boats with flatter shooting guns.  But mostly because of the prevalence of Radar, US dds can't sit in smoke and shoot.  someone or multiple someones turn on their radar and you end up dead.   The DD gun boat thing takes a lot of time and knowledge of others ships to use right and get away with it. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
12 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Smith might be a contender for that title... It’s practically @Lert‘s T1-1/2 Dutch(?) torpedo boat... Only thing that saves it from its own tiny health pool and equally tiny, if rapid-firing cork guns, it the fact it can potentially launch a torpedo every five seconds...

Didn’t keep Nicholas; but its DF can make for a nasty little surprise at Tier 5.

Farragut hasn’t been spectacular for me; but it has been solid.

Dogs?

Benson. Other players can say it’s great all they want; I can’t make it work worth a fat rodent’s bottom, so effectively it’s worthless junk to me.

Benson is an absolute awesome DD and a major improvement over the Mahan :Smile_glasses:

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
5 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Benson is an absolute awesome DD and a major improvement over the Mahan :Smile_glasses:

Too bad about T8 MM though....

That "issue" alone makes me not play it. Sold mine and just play LoYang if I want to experience playing T10 as a T8. 

Fletcher is great once you get a good captain in her but that's the same for any ship at high tiers generally. (Been noticing that as my captains get better so do my results) damn that 12 pointer on my Fletcher.....

I enjoy all the USN 'Stroyas, the only thing that heavily influences their ability is mostly MM dependent on my experience.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
6 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Too bad about T8 MM though....

That "issue" alone makes me not play it. Sold mine and just play LoYang if I want to experience playing T10 as a T8. 

Fletcher is great once you get a good captain in her but that's the same for any ship at high tiers generally. (Been noticing that as my captains get better so do my results) damn that 12 pointer on my Fletcher.....

I enjoy all the USN 'Stroyas, the only thing that heavily influences their ability is mostly MM dependent on my experience.

Good point about MM. Even so the Benson can still perform okay, in that environment.

[TF16B]
Members
8,034 posts
16,968 battles
40 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

To you perhaps; to a lot of other players perhaps; to me; not so much.

36% wr in Benson over 105 games.

Don’t much care how awesome others think Benson is, because I could never get it to work. To me, personally, it is junk.

A long time ago I bought Mahan to use in one of my first Ranked seasons...

...60% wr...

...didn’t realize until later I hadn’t loaded modules...

It worked for me.

I’ll not say anything bad about Mahan because of that.

I kept Mahan; Benson is long gone.

[TURDS]
Members
552 posts
3,604 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

To you perhaps; to a lot of other players perhaps; to me; not so much.

36% wr in Benson over 105 games.

Don’t much care how awesome others think Benson is, because I could never get it to work. To me, personally, it is junk.

A long time ago I bought Mahan to use in one of my first Ranked seasons...

...60% wr...

...didn’t realize until later I hadn’t loaded modules...

It worked for me.

I’ll not say anything bad about Mahan because of that.

I kept Mahan; Benson is long gone.

^Now that's a testimonial! 

I wonder if you would get more zero damage pens/over pens? 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,886 battles

If I had the port slots to spare, I'd get the Nicholas back. Right now, given the necessity to choose between them, it's the Farragut. For mission eligibility in various things (including ops), having a Farragut has served me better lately.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts
15 hours ago, TheLastReaper said:

I think Farragut and Nicholas are both about the same for tier. Slightly longer range torps benefit Farragut but the Nicholas faces weaker opponents so there is balance. 

I thought Mayan was dog-ish US dd for tier but still more fun to play, IMO, than the Japanese.

gearing was a beast but May be a bit dog-ish now that the Germans are out and the z52 overshadows it now. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,034 posts
16,968 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If I had the port slots to spare, I'd get the Nicholas back. Right now, given the necessity to choose between them, it's the Farragut. For mission eligibility in various things (including ops), having a Farragut has served me better lately.

Ports slots aren’t an issue for me; but I don’t disagree with this.

At least it seems you can get a destroyer to work in Ops.

Bizarrely, considering how much I despise Benson; the only destroyer I’ve ever managed to get to work in Ops is Sims...

Sign in to follow this