Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RenamedUser_1001278837

Which cruiser should I get next?

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
132 posts
6,177 battles

I'm working my way through the various cruiser lines and I've got these ships completely researched and ready to buy:

Ibuki

Baltimore

Chapayev

Which one should I get first?  I'm thinking either Ibuki or Chapayev, it doesn't seem to me that Baltimore is that much of an upgrade over Chapayev.  I'm really liking the French line, Charles Martel and Saint Louis may be my two favorite cruisers.  I'm not a big fan of the German line, I've got York but I find her incredibly hard to play with and it's going to be a long grind to Hipper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
462
[WORX]
Members
1,640 posts
12,695 battles

That is a hard one, from here on out its going to be hard cruiser play compared to your past experiences. IF you continnue up the US cruiser line the De moines is worth but hard to master. OR up the Russian lince the Moskva is very tanky trolling. SO if I were you I go chapayev.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
378
[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,468 battles
20 minutes ago, Wittman73 said:

I'm working my way through the various cruiser lines and I've got these ships completely researched and ready to buy:

Ibuki

Baltimore

Chapayev

Which one should I get first?  I'm thinking either Ibuki or Chapayev, it doesn't seem to me that Baltimore is that much of an upgrade over Chapayev.  I'm really liking the French line, Charles Martel and Saint Louis may be my two favorite cruisers.  I'm not a big fan of the German line, I've got York but I find her incredibly hard to play with and it's going to be a long grind to Hipper.

 

If you purchase the Baltimore, when the USN Cruiser split happens in a month or two, you should get get both the down-tiered Baltimore & the Buffalo after the split.   It’s either a free ship or port slot depending what you want to do with it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[-GPS-]
Members
2,521 posts
24,610 battles
16 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

If you purchase the Baltimore, when the USN Cruiser split happens in a month or two, you should get get both the down-tiered Baltimore & the Buffalo after the split.   It’s either a free ship or port slot depending what you want to do with it.

Might there be an advantage to having the Des Moines when the split happens as well?

OP if you like the French cruisers, then Ibuki and Zao might be good for you. They have a similar playstyle but with much better Concealment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
378
[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,468 battles
Just now, Landing_Skipper said:

Might there be an advantage to having the Des Moines when the split happens as well?

OP if you like the French cruisers, then Ibuki and Zao might be good for you. They have a similar playstyle but with much better Concealment. 

Based on the details of this split, the DM is unchanged & unaffected by the split - as a result, you won’t get a compensation ship for the DM since it won’t be affected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
132 posts
6,177 battles
24 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

If you purchase the Baltimore, when the USN Cruiser split happens in a month or two, you should get get both the down-tiered Baltimore & the Buffalo after the split.   It’s either a free ship or port slot depending what you want to do with it.

Thanks for bringing that up, I wasn't even thinking about the USN Cruiser split.  Really glad you mentioned that.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
132 posts
6,177 battles
9 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

LoJV4JL.jpg

LOL, I'd love to have Hindenburg, but the grind with York is killing me. I'm a pretty mediocre player, I'm getting better but York is one of those ships that I think is really tough for a mediocre player to be successful with.  I'll be pretty happy just to get Hipper, Hindenburg is just a dream for me right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,460
[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

Get Baltimore. When the US CA split happens and you have Baltimore in port you'll end up with a bonus port slot, Baltimore's T9 replacement and the new Baltimore at T8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320
[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,212 battles

I should preface this by saying that I haven't played the Ibuki/Chap, but I would recommend you pick one of those over the Balti. The Balti and DM are both fine ships, but at high tiers their short range means that you can't get away with long range kiting in them anymore. Unlike with the cleveland, you really have no choice but it island camp, which is not a skill you pick up in a day. If you like the French ships and want something similar out of your other cruisers, then IJN/Russian is a much better way to go. From talking to other players and my experience playing against these ships, I'd say Ibuki is more HE-focused while Chap is more AP/radar focused. It should also be mentioned that the Ibuki has a reputation for being underwhelming amongst many that I've talking to, so I would settle for the Chap. But then again, I haven't played two of these ships yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
448
[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Imho the Ibuki is a huge improvement over the Mogami, because the range module. With the others you go from meh to meh.

Also as Landing-Skipper pointed out she fits your gameplay.

 

If OP has the NO wont he get the baltimore as a free ship with port slot? He will only miss out on some credits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
241
[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles
3 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Imho the Ibuki is a huge improvement over the Mogami, because the range module.

The Ibuki is also one large floating citadel with pretty much zero effective armor (just finished that grind a few days ago).  One salvo from an opposing BB that connects from any angle will typically take upwards of 50% of your health.  Of the three cruisers mentioned, I personally found the Chappy the most forgiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
448
[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
6 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

The Ibuki is also one large floating citadel with pretty much zero effective armor (just finished that grind a few days ago).  One salvo from an opposing BB that connects from any angle will typically take upwards of 50% of your health.  Of the three cruisers mentioned, I personally found the Chappy the most forgiving.

Did you use the range module? I only took an unfortunate citadel so now and thn with her. Even stock she was fun to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
270
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,442 battles

However, to max gain from the very close up coming line split, that in the testing phase and been discussed in preparation countless time, get the Balt now. The rest of the other cruiser can be work on slowly ........... what else is more benefit then gaining more free ships without grinding? If you dont like them after the split, sell them for free port slots

Check out post in the USN cruiser sub-forum for reading comprehension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
540
Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
1 hour ago, Wittman73 said:

LOL, I'd love to have Hindenburg, but the grind with York is killing me. I'm a pretty mediocre player, I'm getting better but York is one of those ships that I think is really tough for a mediocre player to be successful with.  I'll be pretty happy just to get Hipper, Hindenburg is just a dream for me right now.

If you think York is bad for a normal player, Hipper is much worse. Tho they are buffing it.

Playing York more like a french ship, spamming HE at range and AP only for up close cruisers, you'll do fairly well. It has extra slow AP shells unlike the rest of the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,673
[TBW]
Members
6,328 posts
11,884 battles
3 hours ago, Wittman73 said:

Ibuki

Baltimore

Chapayev

All 3 Baltimore will benefit from the line split though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[TLW]
[TLW]
Members
16 posts
4,564 battles

+1 chapayev,  enjoy it and almost finished her elite xp. I just got hindy. Yes the hipper grind is long. The one clear upside is her turrets swing so much faster than myoko and yorck. Haven’t gotten past t6 on the other lines yet FYI. Just experienced most against or along side the other options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
691
[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Buy Baltimore even if you don't use, just so you're ready for the cruiser split.

Chapy is a very good light cruiser at tier 8 and is a very popular ship in competitive gaming because of its long range radar.

Ibuki is rather meh, but it does lead to Zao which is an exceptionally powerful cruiser.

Yorck is challenging because of its floaty shells, but Hipper post buff will become a very powerful cruiser at tier 8. A lot of people don't realize it already has some strong advantages, namely that amazing armor scheme, health pool, enhanced HE penetration, and 27mm bow that can face tank battleships with 15 inch guns.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
448
[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
16 hours ago, X15 said:

If you think York is bad for a normal player, Hipper is much worse. Tho they are buffing it.

Playing York more like a french ship, spamming HE at range and AP only for up close cruisers, you'll do fairly well. It has extra slow AP shells unlike the rest of the line.

X15, do you have some kind of link for me about the upcoming buff for the AH and PE? I only found the Reddit link which is saying they are looking into it atm. 
Do you have some additional information? 

Much appreciated in advance.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
540
Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
6 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

X15, do you have some kind of link for me about the upcoming buff for the AH and PE? I only found the Reddit link which is saying they are looking into it atm. 
Do you have some additional information? 

Much appreciated in advance.

Russ8rf.png

Taken from the public test notes.

Edited by X15
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,238 posts
8,932 battles

I know you said you weren't into Germans, but shell out for the Graf Spee....once you get used to her, she is an absolute blast....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,634 posts
13,459 battles
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Wittman73 said:

LOL, I'd love to have Hindenburg, but the grind with York is killing me. I'm a pretty mediocre player, I'm getting better but York is one of those ships that I think is really tough for a mediocre player to be successful with.  I'll be pretty happy just to get Hipper, Hindenburg is just a dream for me right now.

Yorck is much better than she was when she first came out but she definitely is a speed bump. The grind through Yorck to get to Hipper, Roon, and the mighty Hindenberg is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4
[-S-R-]
Members
60 posts
7,682 battles

Yeah, I'd go Ibuki.  However, not because it's a great ship... but ZAO! WAO this ship is incredible!  My favourite ship.  Having said this, I believe there is consensus that the Hindi is the best cruiser in the game and I would have to agree.  But the Jap line has many more higher tier ships to look forward to than the Germans.  Furutaka, Myoko, and Mogami are excellent for their tiers whereas the Yorck and Hipper are terrible.  The Hipper has (had?) the worst alpha damage output of all T8 cruisers.

Edited by FreshSqueezed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[YETI]
Members
99 posts
4,093 battles

^^^ +1 

the Zao is a great ship , especially in random play, and we’ll worth the grind.   If only WG would buff her torp angles ... sigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×