You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheLastReaper

Quick DD Question

18 comments in this topic

Members
292 posts

I'm coming around an island to ambush torp a BB at 2km.

Do I want to be bow on when he gets that 1 volley off or broadside to maximize survival chances?

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
566 posts
3,334 battles
2 minutes ago, TheLastReaper said:

Do I want to be bow on when he gets that 1 volley off or broadside to maximize survival chances?

either as straight as possible or as flat as possible. Minimize striking area and hope for misses, or minimize thickness and hope for overpens.
Doesn't really matter which you pick as long as you pick one. Coming in at an angle is the worst of both worlds.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

Broadside to try and get overpenned but it also depends on  the specific BB or the possibility of him having loaded HE.

Edited by warheart1992

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles

Myself I’ll be broadside ready to torp ..he may not have detected me and it’s going to take time to bring his guns to bear on me

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles

If you can get to 2 Km before he sees you unless his guns were already pointing at you the torps will hit before he gets a shot off.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,523 posts
24,635 battles

What kind of chicken have you sacrificed to RNGeezus this week?

You need to put your torps into his side. It’s a gamble either way. Straight at him and you have a much smaller profile with a lower chance of getting hit. BUT if you do have a shell go lengthwise down your hull it’s not good.  Show him your side and the chance of a hit goes way up, but so does the probability of an overpen. 

Personally, I don’t subscribe to the idea that showing broadside in a DD to anything is a good plan. I just pray that I don’t get hit at all. Oh, and wiggle a lot. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
9 minutes ago, TheLastReaper said:

There is no easy answer. It depends. What kind of BB is it? Are you detected as you are coming around to ambush him? Are his guns pointed at you? How is he oriented in repect to you (bow on/angled/broadside)? 

Also what kind of DD are you in and what kind of torp arcs do you have? Are your torp launchers triplets or quads?

All these things play a significant role in deciding what you should be doing. There is no single universal answer.

Edited by Ulthwey

Members
292 posts
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

If you can get to 2 Km before he sees you unless his guns were already pointing at you the torps will hit before he gets a shot off.

He knew I was in the cap and came around the island gun pointed right at me.

American BB, shot AP, I was bow on and he deleted me when I had like 75% of my hp. Sucked. If I could have survived that one volley I would have deleted him.

Guess I need to be broadside next time not try and count on surviving the shot.

Edited by TheLastReaper

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Does he know you're there? Are other ships firing at him? Where are his guns pointing? Has he fired recently? Can you wait till he fires at someone else first? What ammo is he using?

DD ambushes depend on those ships being distracted and not ready to fire at you. Broadside against a BB shooting AP at those ranges will result in a lot of overpens, whereas broadside and taking a salvo of HE will utterly wreck you. On the other hand, bow on and taking AP will kill you, whereas bow on and taking HE might keep you alive due to oversaturation.

Also, what direction is the BB's nose pointing at? If he's bow on, you'll have no choice but to go bow on to move to his side before you torp. Cause if he only takes a pair of torps and survives, you are very hosed. 

Generally speaking, your best bet is making sure he cannot immediately react to you. I can't remotely count the number of DDs I've nuked because they came at me when I was ready for them.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles
2 minutes ago, TheLastReaper said:

He knew I was in the cap and came around the island gun pointed right at me.

American BB, shot AP, I was bow on and he deleted me when I had like 75% of my hp. Sucked. If I could have sucked that one volley I would have deleted him.

Guess I need to be broadside next time not try and count on surviving the shot.

Yeah, get the shot off and then try to maneuver away.

Members
292 posts
1 minute ago, Ulthwey said:

There is no easy answer. It depends. What kind of BB is it? Are you detected as you are coming around to ambush him? Are his guns pointed at you? How is he oriented in repect to you (bow on/angled/broadside)? 

Also what kind of DD are you in and whatkind of torp arcs do you have? Are your torp launchers triplets or quads?

All these things play a significant role in deciding what you should be doing. There is no single universal answer.

In this case i was in a Nicholas ambushing a US BB (Wyoming or Texs) who was coming toward me at an angle from around the island. He had some idea I was there because i had captured the point right next to said island.

He did have his guns pointed from where I came out. I only had like 2 seconds to react after spotting and he fired. His AP salvo deleted my 75% hp bow on Nicholas. Was frustrating. Guess I needed to be broadside and launched my torps as he fired.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 minute ago, TheLastReaper said:

In this case i was in a Nicholas ambushing a US BB (Wyoming or Texs) who was coming toward me at an angle from around the island. He had some idea I was there because i had captured the point right next to said island.

He did have his guns pointed from where I came out. I only had like 2 seconds to react after spotting and he fired. His AP salvo deleted my 75% hp bow on Nicholas. Was frustrating. Guess I needed to be broadside and launched my torps as he fired.

Generally, if your opponent is aware of you AND has all his guns on you when you are coming out - its best to come out broadside and launch one torp set. This forces him to hesitate and fire his guns without carefully aiming in order to begin matrix"ing" his way between incoming torps. Meanwhile, you go bow-on to rush him (while he is focused on evading) and fire your second torp set when you are right next to him. He may dodge the first set, but you are virtually guaranteed to hit him with at least 4/5 from the second set.

You can outright rush him from the start, but thats more dangerous. Do it only if:

You have full hp.

OR

Your enemy is a ship with 4x2 gun configuration (these ships are less accurate).

OR

You come around the island undetected. 

OR

You know that he just fired his guns and will be reloading for the next 30 seconds.

OR

You know his guns are pointed in a different direction.

[LANCE]
Members
291 posts
3,098 battles

Did he have friends ready to shoot at your location? If not try scooting around the island leaving a few “balance lances” for him to run into when he tries to chase. This depends on how big the island is of course and whether you could turn quick enough to get out of his gun arc. A DD is way faster to manuveur than a B.B. so this works sometimes. Again though, if his teammates are watching and the island is small enough for him to keep you in detection range (~2km) running into to that hai storm could be just as bad.

As others have said no easy answer/solution as there are many dependents.

Goofld luck and fair seas! :cap_like:

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

seems pretty situational...but always a fun and dangerous moment for a DD driver when they can sneak around an island corner and spray a BB with almost un-dodge'able close range torps.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,910 posts
3,297 battles

2km  in a DD, you're spotted, and DDs being priority targets in this game, guns are likely aiming at you... unless of course it only came to 2km at the exact moment he came around that island.

Best bet: When coming around an island, 2km distance, broadside and fire your torpedoes.  Chances of him dodging is very small. The enemy is given two options: dodge and lose firing solution, or maintain firing solution and hope for the best. The woes of slow traverse of a Battleship's main gun.

If you fire off all torpedoes, enemy may choose to dodge, it'll be faster for him to retrain his guns, than for you to reload your torpedoes. Firing one set in attempt to get him to dodge, then rushing him during his evasive maneuver, to fire another set or two (depending on number of torpedo turrets you have), on the side his guns weren't originally trained to. Which takes advantage of a Battleship's slow rudder shift.

I did that with the Okhotnik. Came around an island, fired two turrets (having four torpedo turrets is amazing), then during the evasive maneuver of his, fired off the last two turrets into the side his guns weren't trained to originally. I slammed him good, but his secondaries did a lot of damage. But, now that I am behind him, I then utilized the island that we came around, to hide from his guns once more... before getting deleted by a cruiser that was waiting for me, due to me not paying attention to the minimap like I should have, to find the safest escape route. Then got Just a Flesh Wound, because Battleship died from the flooding I caused.

If it became 2km at the exact moment the battleship or you came around the island, then you're in the most advantageous position, so long as you have not been spotted before hand. RUSH, and torp, in that scenario.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,258 battles
1 hour ago, TheLastReaper said:

or plan ahead that situation sounds like it sucked try to avoid those and live till you get a better chance say when he is distracted. But yes those who said go broadside are right for most part some higher tier still get nuked though only real time that's bad advice is against any RN BB 

Members
126 posts
303 battles

If we say that the information originally provided is the only information the OP considers relevant to the available choices — broadside or nose-in — we can ignore the endless what-if variables and simply deduce in our best Sherlock Holmes tradition that the DD is committed to the ambush. Nothing else matters and even survival is a secondary consideration; therefore, the only correct answer is to angle in such a way that the torpedoes will be accurately launched prior to any main battery salvo from the target battleship.

Get you torps off to guarantee a worst-case trade. If you want to ensure survival, plan a better ambush.