You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

200k? Is it you , or is it them?

23 comments in this topic

Members
1,120 posts
7,268 battles

Whenever I get the big numbers in damage scored, Or in potential damage taken, while I do pat myself ont he back for some good shooting, I also try to remember that my gain, likely has a lot to do with the opposite team giving me opportunities I shouldn't have... 

So... are your big scores due to how marvelous you are, or how not-marvelous the other team is? Which do you think contributes more to your high scoring games?

[ARGSY]
Members
5,865 posts
3,984 battles

It's a bit of both, mixed with chance. I put a single torpedo into a Cleveland last night that was good for 20K because he'd just burned his DCP and wasn't able to repair the flooding until he was almost dead. But if he'd had DCP up, he would have saved himself about 15K. The same goes for fires; if I start a lucky double fire on a BB at the right time, I can milk quite a lot of damage out of it if he's got the HP to burn (pun intended), but in another game I might get damned by RNG and have trouble getting a single one lit.

I could have a run of fires, floodings and detonation of enemy ships, or I could have a miserable game where everyone I shoot at extinguishes everything and either gets away with it or hands the HP to my team-mates, and have scored the same number of gun and torpedo hits.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,730 posts
11,353 battles

You can't generalize I think, But often, when my team collapse I get high damage cause of all the opportunities, more than cause I am playing so well.  It the reason for the common nature of high damage loses limo

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles

Combination of stuff affects winning or losing and your damage numbers IMO.

You are just a good player regardless of teams...red@green. Best to just be good. This is #1. I am average. Much of the time.

You suck regardless.

Bad red team but you get a good green team.

Bad green team but you get a good red team.

Ships you are facing on red team.

Ships you got on your team.

Time of day. YES!  This can have an effect...take it from me. 

You playing drunk or sober? Heh. Some players play better boozed up or, ahem, high.  Most probably play best non-impaired. Study should be done on this by a stat/accountant type nerd.

Other stuff...blah blah etc. etc.

Edited by dmckay

Alpha Tester
4,750 posts
2,411 battles

I don't care. 200k damage is 200k damage. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
1 hour ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Whenever I get the big numbers in damage scored, Or in potential damage taken, while I do pat myself ont he back for some good shooting, I also try to remember that my gain, likely has a lot to do with the opposite team giving me opportunities I shouldn't have... 

So... are your big scores due to how marvelous you are, or how not-marvelous the other team is? Which do you think contributes more to your high scoring games?

It is you and them . Them is them on the other side and your own team, and also this 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles

You  get monster damage carries if:

- the red team plays bad and gives the green team the opportunity to farm all the damage and kills, and

- the green team plays bad enough not to capitalize on that but leave all the damage and kills to you.

• Cool 2

Members
1,120 posts
7,268 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

You  get monster damage carries if:

- the red team plays bad and gives the green team the opportunity to farm all the damage and kills, and

- the green team plays bad enough not to capitalize on that but leave all the damage and kills to you.

So ..monster damage is more about others than ourselves... that was where I was going with it... 

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,509 battles

I believe it is you.  In order to get the obscene 300k+ games it's a mixture of you and the enemy team, but cresting 200k can be done by good play alone.  

In my T10 BBs, over the last few weeks I've probably been averaging 150k damage.  I've gotten far better at positional play and decision making lately, and that has been a major contributing factor.  

[ARRGG]
Members
4,681 posts
7,503 battles
1 hour ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

One day I decided to try and improve my emblem in the X Zao were the objective is to get 98,000 damage averages over the last 100 games, a Herculaneum feet in this boat, it quickly became apparent that the highest damage games were losses why ... wins resulted in way fewer targets

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
20 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

So ..monster damage is more about others than ourselves... that was where I was going with it... 

More, yes. But there is something to be said for being able to seize the opportunities that are presented. Which is something you do, and others don't in monster games.

Members
1,789 posts
17,407 battles
2 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

In ships w/good detection it's all about skill in staying undetected long enough for attacks to be delivered (applies not only to torping DDs but getting those shells off from a close enough range that they can't be dodged) & having the skill to not just open up on easy targets thus relinquishing your element of surprise (is finishing off that low life DD worth letting the full life BB know that you are there when he's straight lining into your full torp volley (or those 2 camping cruisers...neither 1 showing any signs of the rack of torps each heading their way?/decisions decisions). 

In ships that are always detected it's more luck of the straight lining targets/RNG over-pens.

[PVE]
Members
500 posts
4,144 battles

Most of my biggest games come from poor teams, mine or theirs. I am starting to get bigger results in closer games more often though. Still, silly mistakes by the reds or overly potato greens help me get a bigger slice of the damage pie.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles
3 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

The poor teammates that leave so much enemy damage on the board for me to harvest.

Members
1,132 posts
3,141 battles

Both IMO, unless you're an ultra super unicum. I haven't broken 200k yet, but I have gotten over 160k on several occasions. 

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

The game is very much like Plinko where the islands are the pegs and there is a wild spread of skill offset by spawn location coupled with where your team goes as well as the enemy and afk's just add spice..

some games you nail the damage and it comes easily, some you work your rear off and have a grand total of 30k and 11th on the leaderboard. Hard to figure sometimes.

See the source image

Members
9,871 posts

Don't know how you could look at this player base and not think it's all about them......

Members
8,077 posts
17,038 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

More, yes. But there is something to be said for being able to seize the opportunities that are presented. Which is something you do, and others don't in monster games.

This^^^

Even after as many games as I’ve played, my strategic map sense is best not spoken of, (my local/tactical sense seems good enough.)

I have no faith in my own ability to consciously get monster scores unless they’re handed to me on a silver platter; and I manage not to be stupid, and actually recognize the opportunity is there...

(Pretty much why I feel ‘Get ‘X’ High Calibur,’ or ‘Confederate,’ or other such tasks/missions are a (redacted) joke...)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
3,308 posts
8,048 battles

Could be you, could be them, could be your team. Most likely a combo of two of those three; possibly all three.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
5 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Which do you think contributes more to your high scoring games?

I trust in the Lord for contributing most to my high scoring matches.  

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

Well, as someone who just got his first 200k game, I am by no means an expert...but to add to what others have said:

Get a ship you like, and goes with your play style. I like French BBs, and the Alsance can be a monster when played right. Other ships, like IJN DDs often struggle with damage, unless they get a ton of torp hits. That DOES NOT make them "bad" ships, but we are talking about damage. 

Keep yourself alive. Now, I don't mean go and hide in a corner, or snipe like a wuss, but if your outnumbered, there is no reason not to hit the boost and kite half the other team. Save the "Witness me!" stuff for the end of the game.. (this one is hard for me) 

[DRACS]
Members
3,365 posts
4 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Yes and no. You still need to know how to aim to consistently land hits and rack up that damage over time. I'm an above average player because I know how to cap and can support my team, but I have yet to have a 200k match (closest I've gotten is 180k) because I still have a lot of trouble aiming at angled targets.

I also have this weird thing where I always shoot at DDs and cruisers first instead of farming battleships, which doesn't help ;)

• Cool 1

Members
567 posts
75 battles
6 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Every match has a % of both. The higher your skill, the more the damage is a reflection of making better choices and executing them effectively. Huh, interesting... Everything in life seems to reflect that same premise. 

The real question is how close or how far is each person's perception of internal (you) causes and external (everything but you) causes vs actual reality. And unfortunately online gaming tends to generate an insanely high percentage of players with pretty fascinatingly wide divides between the two.