Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
waterman165

Why do game sometime just end?

23 comments in this topic

[-OF-]
Members
55 posts
3,057 battles

Why does game sometimes just end?

Doesn't happen often but it really annoying? The counter is far from 1000, and there are still several enemy ships still alive? What hidden objective am I missing?

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles

Depending on what checksix said; there is a mercy rule that ends the game.

If a team doesn't cap and collect points, and their member ships die fast without killing any enemy ships, their score can reach ZERO; at that point the game ends automatically.

Happens a lot in Co-op; not so much in Randoms.

• Cool 2

[TSN]
Members
68 posts
3,085 battles

When your teams points hit zero it ends. Pretty frustrating as this hurts everyone involved not allowing people a chance to get much XP. A few times the last few days this has happened to me. One ended in 6 minutes, one ended in 7, and one ended in 8.

[-OF-]
Members
55 posts
3,057 battles

So if a team hits zero the game end. Well, that's stupid, if a team sucks that much the other team deserves the exp. I've lost money because of a game ending so quickly because an enemy team sucks. The winning teams deserve to at least not lose money and have camos and flags refunded or a large exp boost.

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles

I'm still of the opinion that in battles that end early, the winning team should get some sort of credit and XP reward for all the HP on the remaining enemy ships.  The only question is then should it be given out (evenly) to the friendly ships that remain or to the entire team (with the exception of any AFKs that should get nothing).  I can see good arguments for both, since it's possible that the friendlies that were sunk still contributed to the massacre.  OTOH, perhaps there should be something said for surviving.  If I had to pick one, I'd go with all friendlies (except AFKs).

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,289 battles
59 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Depending on what checksix said; there is a mercy rule that ends the game.

If a team doesn't cap and collect points, and their member ships die fast without killing any enemy ships, their score can reach ZERO; at that point the game ends automatically.

Happens a lot in Co-op; not so much in Randoms.

Oh yes, this happens a lot in randoms. In low tiers and on the weekends it can happen in any tier. This is no doubt why OP is asking. And the answers are correct.

[TSN]
Members
68 posts
3,085 battles

It sucks for both sides honestly. In my recent examples our team had still had 4-6 ships and we had already killed a few of theirs. We just couldn't secure any caps. So the remaining players on the team that has been decimated still has a chance if the enemy team gets too aggressive trying to get damage. Not a big chance at winning, but all that are still there on both sides are not given the chance to fight it out for potential damage/actual damage/caps and anything that could give you XP even in a loss. It also hurts those going for the emblems to do X amount of damage over however many games.

2 of the times this happened to me I was in a Montana and just getting into position when the battle abruptly ended. 

It really ends up being a waste of flags/camo and consumables for all involved.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
475 posts
5,454 battles
1 hour ago, waterman165 said:

So if a team hits zero the game end. Well, that's stupid, if a team sucks that much the other team deserves the exp. I've lost money because of a game ending so quickly because an enemy team sucks. The winning teams deserve to at least not lose money and have camos and flags refunded or a large exp boost.

^^^ agreed

Nothing like shelling out the credits to deck out your ship and everyone f***ing dies before you can even get in the fight long enough to pay your "bills." If the red team is so bad they lost that fast they deserved to farmed so at least green can make money and the reds that don't suck can fight back long enough to at least break even.

[TSN]
Members
68 posts
3,085 battles

Does anyone know why this is even a thing? Seriously asking because I can't see it in the game having no beneficial effects.

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles
1 hour ago, ASR37 said:

Does anyone know why this is even a thing? Seriously asking because I can't see it in the game having no beneficial effects.

People call it the "mercy rule".  Don't tell me that you've never heard of the "mercy rule" in various sports, particularly kid's sports.

Regardless, probably the biggest reason it's a thing in WoWS is to not have people bailing out of games that are total lost causes.  And the thought is probably that it's better to just end it than to force players on the trailing team to have to suffer to the bitter end.

2 hours ago, ASR37 said:

It sucks for both sides honestly. In my recent examples our team had still had 4-6 ships and we had already killed a few of theirs. We just couldn't secure any caps. So the remaining players on the team that has been decimated still has a chance if the enemy team gets too aggressive trying to get damage. Not a big chance at winning, but all that are still there on both sides are not given the chance to fight it out for potential damage/actual damage/caps and anything that could give you XP even in a loss. It also hurts those going for the emblems to do X amount of damage over however many games.

2 of the times this happened to me I was in a Montana and just getting into position when the battle abruptly ended. 

It really ends up being a waste of flags/camo and consumables for all involved.

I agree that it definitely stinks for players working on the ship type emblems that are damage based. 

Honestly, I kind of wish that those ship type emblems were also based on top 3 XP wins, like the national emblems, for a couple of reasons.  First of all, it would help out with this particular issue.  But secondly, I think that these damage based emblems somewhat encourage selfish play, perhaps more so for DDs, since DDs aren't meant to be strictly raw damage producers like BBs or CVs.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
12 hours ago, waterman165 said:

Why does "the" have such a bum rap?

• Cool 1

Members
292 posts
1 minute ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Why does "the" have such a bum rap?

Because 'the' is racist, duh

Why you ax questions?

Edited by TheLastReaper

Members
9,868 posts
12 hours ago, waterman165 said:

Doesn't happen often but it really annoying? The counter is far from 1000, and there are still several enemy ships still alive? What hidden objective am I missing?

Mercy rule, if the enemy team dies in a lemming train at the beginning of the game, their score may go below 0....game over.

[DRACS]
Members
3,357 posts

Here are the conditions for ending a match:

- Team gets over a 1000 points.

- Team drops under 0 points because they lost too many ships in a hurry.

- All ships on one team are destroyed.

- Clock runs out.

[-OF-]
Members
55 posts
3,057 battles
3 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Here are the conditions for ending a match:

- Team gets over a 1000 points.

- Team drops under 0 points because they lost too many ships in a hurry.

- All ships on one team are destroyed.

- Clock runs out.

I think I did this as a child, one of these doesn't belong...I think it's - Team drops under 0 points because they lost too many ships in a hurry.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,646 posts
14,025 battles

The games end in different ways.  If any of these happen first, it's over.

A team reaches 1000 pts.

A team completes the capture of the other's cap in Standard match mode, such as below.

%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%

A team is completely destroyed.

A team goes to 0 points.  Personally, this is the most embarrassing way to lose.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
17 hours ago, waterman165 said:

The mercy rule took effect. 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,913 posts
3,304 battles

4 ways to end a battle:

1. Timer runs out <--- team with most points at this point wins. Draw if points are equal.
2. A team reaches 1000 points <--- team reaching 1000 points wins. draw if both teams reaches 1000 simultaneously

3. Team reaches 0 points <--- team that reaches 0 loses. Impossible for both teams to reach 0.
4. Team loses all their ships <--- team with ships left wins. Draw if both teams loses final ship simultaneously (has to happen in the same millisecond)

As the answer to your question, there are two possibilities based on the information provided:

number 1 and you simply weren't paying attention.
number 3, and you simply weren't paying attention.

[5IN]
Members
1,786 posts
8,109 battles
17 hours ago, Crucis said:

I'm still of the opinion that in battles that end early, the winning team should get some sort of credit and XP reward for all the HP on the remaining enemy ships.  The only question is then should it be given out (evenly) to the friendly ships that remain or to the entire team (with the exception of any AFKs that should get nothing).  I can see good arguments for both, since it's possible that the friendlies that were sunk still contributed to the massacre.  OTOH, perhaps there should be something said for surviving.  If I had to pick one, I'd go with all friendlies (except AFKs).

I would agree.  It sucks even more when a "mercy rule" win happens and there are still a lot of ships on both sides.  It kind of screws everyone, especially those on the losing side who could salvage something, or even pull out a miracle win, which I've had happen a time or two.

b

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles
5 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

I would agree.  It sucks even more when a "mercy rule" win happens and there are still a lot of ships on both sides.  It kind of screws everyone, especially those on the losing side who could salvage something, or even pull out a miracle win, which I've had happen a time or two.

b

I don't mind the mercy rule itself.  I just don't like how it screws everyone out of at least better earnings and XP.  I will say that I don't feel all that sorry for the losing team.  After all, a lot of times, the remaining players screwed up by not supporting the caps.  of course, it's also true that often what happens is that the ships that did get killed quickly were dopes who charged right in and got killed before their team even had a chance to GET close.  (And of course they'll blame their team for not supporting them, in spite of their stupidity in not giving their heavies enough time to get their in the first place.)

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this