Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Crucis

Just got the Minotaur

16 comments in this topic

[SALVO] Crucis 3,822
14,755 posts
15,407 battles

I just got the Minotaur a couple of hours ago.  Not sure if I'll like it or not yet.  I had a bit of a love hate relationship with the Neptune, but it's hard not to like the Minotaur's insane rate of fire.  Of course, I was a total noob and entered my first battle with her without having mounted any upgrade modules (ooops).  My first game was nothing to write home about with only 55k damage, but I had 3 kills (2 of which were DDs who made the fatal mistake of getting too close to me) and I was 3rd on the team in base XP in a nice little win.

So, here I am thinking about what a good build is for the Mino.  I have the following upgrade modules setup:

• Slot 1: Main Battery 1
  • Slot 2: DC mod 1
  • Slot 3: AA mod 1
  • Slot 4: Steering mod 2
  • Slot 5: Concealment mod (of course)
  • Slot 6: Empty at this instant.

I am uncertain about slot 6.  I know that a lot of people will say to just put MBM3 in there, but a reduction in reload time from 3.2 sec to 2.8 sec just doesn't seem like it's worth it when I could either increase the gun range or boost the AA of the ship and get more bang for the buck.  Thoughts on this?

As for skills, other than CE and Superintendent, I'm just not sure.  It seems like going for a strong AA build is a good way to go, with either AFT or Man AA.  It also seems like BFT would be damned nice if one wanted to really go all in on AA.  OTOH, it also seems like CV players shy away from well known strong AA cruisers, so is it really worth invest all that much in AA if they're just going to keep their distance anyways?  (And just for confirmation, does the AA mod 1 range buff on AA stack with the AFT range buff?)  Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm using the Jack Dunkirk captain, so a buffed smoke skill would seem like a good thing.  Anyways, any thoughts would be appreciated here as well.

[WORX] Navalpride33 240
932 posts
11,071 battles

That feeling will only continue/intensify some of it will be your fault, other times will be your fleets fault. The Mino is a floating citadel, you are the girl EVERY guy in collage wants to date. You will be focused upon your sighting by the whole red fleet. Just be prepared mentally to what you're getting your ship into, its like a tier 5 vs tier 10s its not fair but it is what it is. The fun factor overall for her is very high, never a dull moment in that ship.

7,443 posts
15,520 battles

It's another (redacted) RN cruiser...

...you're not me...

...someone for whom RN cruisers beyond Emerald have been utterly worthless, stinking pieces of trash that smell like teabags left too long in a teapot...

...therefore; I'm sure you'll probably love Minotaur and do extremely well in it.

[SALVO] Crucis 3,822
14,755 posts
15,407 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It's another (redacted) RN cruiser...

...you're not me...

...someone for whom RN cruisers beyond Emerald have been utterly worthless, stinking pieces of trash that smell like teabags left too long in a teapot...

...therefore; I'm sure you'll probably love Minotaur and do extremely well in it.

Jeez, Prophet, you really have a problem making good and popular ships work for you.  Are you somehow a contrarian who unconsciously refuses to do well in popular ships?  :cap_hmm:

119 posts
8,898 battles

I like to run radar on my Mino and yes you get focused but handling is good so I play like a DD under fire and look. Was funny in open water stayed at full range and annoyed the living crap out of a MO until I finally killed him.

7,443 posts
15,520 battles
48 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Are you somehow a contrarian who unconsciously refuses to do well in popular ships?

Apparently. :Smile_sceptic:

The way things seem to work out for me; I imagine Varyag and I will get along famously.

[S0L0] Shels 4
26 posts

I use MBM3.  When you crunch the numbers, that reload boost is quite significant.  It's the percent change, not the strict number of seconds, that you should consider.  I ran the range mod originally, but the shells are so floaty that the extra range didn't improve my effectiveness.  With how much smoke there is at T10, people generally well aware of concealment ranges, and DDs typically turning to run if a Mino gets them in their sites, you'll want that extra rate of fire.

[-AA-] LemonadeWarrior 339
1,413 posts
6,619 battles

I am a dpm elitist, except for my Zao (range module). The 15.8km range is plenty for me, also keeps me closer to the fight.

I usually count CV battles as an unfortunate loss and will move on.

[SALVO] Crucis 3,822
14,755 posts
15,407 battles

OK, in my 3rd battle with the Mino, I had 188k damage and 2 kills in a loss.  It was a super close game that we made a great comeback, but didn't have anyone willing to get on caps, so we lost on points, despite having me and a Hindenburg remaining vs a Fletcher.  We might have been able to win it if their points lead hadn't been so great that we had no time to get to the caps and slow their points gain, but that's WoWS.  

For what it's worth, I put on the MBM3 module for now.  It doesn't cost much to switch out, so no biggie.  I'm holding off on the skills for now.  (I think that I'll wait to see if there's another free skills reset after the CBs season is over, rather than pay for doing it right now, particularly since I'm not entirely sure what direction to take there.)

[POP] tm63au 249
763 posts
13,129 battles
56 minutes ago, Crucis said:

OK, in my 3rd battle with the Mino, I had 188k damage and 2 kills in a loss.  It was a super close game that we made a great comeback, but didn't have anyone willing to get on caps, so we lost on points, despite having me and a Hindenburg remaining vs a Fletcher.  We might have been able to win it if their points lead hadn't been so great that we had no time to get to the caps and slow their points gain, but that's WoWS.  

For what it's worth, I put on the MBM3 module for now.  It doesn't cost much to switch out, so no biggie.  I'm holding off on the skills for now.  (I think that I'll wait to see if there's another free skills reset after the CBs season is over, rather than pay for doing it right now, particularly since I'm not entirely sure what direction to take there.)

Hi

Congrats on getting Her however no offence to you @Crucis and any other Mino player but I hate that ship, dam tier 10 machine gun spoiling the paint work on my Hindy :Smile_teethhappy:.

Good luck and good hunting on the high seas  :Smile_honoring:

regards

[SALVO] Crucis 3,822
14,755 posts
15,407 battles
20 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Hi

Congrats on getting Her however no offence to you @Crucis and any other Mino player but I hate that ship, dam tier 10 machine gun spoiling the paint work on my Hindy :Smile_teethhappy:.

Good luck and good hunting on the high seas  :Smile_honoring:

regards

LOL.  I didn't have a chance to spoil any Hindy's paint jobs in that battle, but I did seriously mess up a GK for 70k HP and a Conq for about 52k.  They were more concerned with a friendly Hindy than they were with me, which was a serious mistake.  Oh, they could have ignored me in terms of shooting at me, but they ignored me so much that they both gave me perfect broadsides which was the primary reason I so badly wrecked them (along with 3 torp hits into the GK).

11 posts
10,283 battles

More range on the main battery is not really something you need given how floaty your shells get past 10km, in my opinion.

AA range mod does stack with AFT (8.6km range AA bubbles, yay), and AFT is much more valuable than MFCAA since the bulk of your AA damage is on the medium caliber guns that won't benefit from MFCAA. I'm of the opinion that it's probably enough to just take AA range mod and AFT and focus the rest of your build on fighting against surface ships, but if you really hate CV that much then you can feel free to go all in on a full AA build.

As for Jack Dunkirk, I like having the extra fat smoke clouds giving me more wiggle room to make it a bit more difficult for people to shoot/torp me in smoke and the 10% reduction on consumable reload. PT, SI, and CE are probably the only skills I'd consider mandatory.

1,497 posts
26 battles
On 14/04/2018 at 5:25 AM, Crucis said:

I just got the Minotaur a couple of hours ago.  Not sure if I'll like it or not yet.  I had a bit of a love hate relationship with the Neptune, but it's hard not to like the Minotaur's insane rate of fire.  Of course, I was a total noob and entered my first battle with her without having mounted any upgrade modules (ooops).  My first game was nothing to write home about with only 55k damage, but I had 3 kills (2 of which were DDs who made the fatal mistake of getting too close to me) and I was 3rd on the team in base XP in a nice little win.

So, here I am thinking about what a good build is for the Mino.  I have the following upgrade modules setup:

• Slot 1: Main Battery 1
  • Slot 2: DC mod 1
  • Slot 3: AA mod 1
  • Slot 4: Steering mod 2
  • Slot 5: Concealment mod (of course)
  • Slot 6: Empty at this instant.

Hey @Crucis, congrats on getting the Minotaur! I agree with your slots 2, 3, 4 and 5 but would maybe change the first one to Main Armaments Mod 1 just to increase survivability (though anything to help the battery is good) I recommend Armaments for 1 and Main Battery Mod 3 for number 6 to get the most benefit and make sure you can survive a few more blasts. These are just some basic options though, and I know other players have had a lot of success with alternative Mods.

[SALVO] Crucis 3,822
14,755 posts
15,407 battles
8 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

Hey @Crucis, congrats on getting the Minotaur! I agree with your slots 2, 3, 4 and 5 but would maybe change the first one to Main Armaments Mod 1 just to increase survivability (though anything to help the battery is good) I recommend Armaments for 1 and Main Battery Mod 3 for number 6 to get the most benefit and make sure you can survive a few more blasts. These are just some basic options though, and I know other players have had a lot of success with alternative Mods.

I meant MAM1 when I said Main Battery Mod 1.  And I ended up putting MBM mod 3 into slot 6.

For some reason, where I found the Neptune difficult to get comfortable with, the Minotaur had been much a much more comfortable fit.  I had a 115k (or maybe it was 130k) damage game in her just this past night.  The lower concealment makes it a LOT easier to use her torpedoes.

For what it's worth, I've found that the Aiming mod for slot 3 isn't really worth it, because 3 of the 4  benefits are moot.  The torpedo rotation enhancement isn't a big deal because the launchers on the Mino aren't DD centerline mounts that have to make large turns from one side of the ship to the other.  The Mino's launchers only have to cover one side of the ship, so the turns don't take much time regardless.  On top of that, the Mino doesn't even have secondary guns, so those 2 benefits are moot.  And the shortish gun range of the Mino tends not be need the 7% dispersion enhancement.  I suppose it could come in handy of you also took the slot 6 range module, but I didn't.  Also, because your RoF is so damned high, it doesn't seem to matter all that much if you have some misses.  You're putting so many rounds downrange that your volume of fire makes up for any mild degree of inaccuracy.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, EtherlightEX said:

More range on the main battery is not really something you need given how floaty your shells get past 10km, in my opinion.

AA range mod does stack with AFT (8.6km range AA bubbles, yay), and AFT is much more valuable than MFCAA since the bulk of your AA damage is on the medium caliber guns that won't benefit from MFCAA. I'm of the opinion that it's probably enough to just take AA range mod and AFT and focus the rest of your build on fighting against surface ships, but if you really hate CV that much then you can feel free to go all in on a full AA build.

As for Jack Dunkirk, I like having the extra fat smoke clouds giving me more wiggle room to make it a bit more difficult for people to shoot/torp me in smoke and the 10% reduction on consumable reload. PT, SI, and CE are probably the only skills I'd consider mandatory.

For what it's worth, Ether, I haven't dealt with the skills yet, because I'm waiting for the upcoming free skills respec.   I currently have ManAA but I'm thinking that that might have been a mistake, given that it only applies to the ship's main guns.  The smaller AA guns are too small to benefit from ManAA.  However, they would benefit from the range increase of AFT.  Overall, whether it's ManAA or AFT, either one probably qualifies as a "full AA build".  Or at least short of selecting skills in such a way that lets you take both ManAA and AFT, which I don't intend to do.

I currently have the following skills selected:  PM, EM, SmokeExp, BFT, SI, ManAA, CE.  However, when I respec, I'm thinking of replacing PM with PT, dumping EM for either AR or maybe JoaT, and replacing ManAA with AFT.

• Cool 1

[NNC] Noble_Taipan 56
281 posts
4,449 battles
44 minutes ago, Crucis said:

However, when I respec, I'm thinking of replacing PM with PT, dumping EM for either AR or maybe JoaT, and replacing ManAA with AFT.

For Mino, I wouldn't bother with either EM or AR (if you took MBM3). JoaT is useful as you can get the window between your smoke dissipating and the consumable reloading down to 31 seconds (providing you have the -5% consumable reload flag and take premium smoke). I wouldn't recommend ManAA nor AFT as planes will tend to avoid you, though I would stick with AA mod 1, allowing your AA range to match your air detection range, anything beyond that is a excessive. However, if you want to extend it to 8.6km then it could provide a nasty surprise to any planes.

For my build I took PT, JoaT, SSE, SE, SI, CE, RPF.

Survivability Expert - if you're using this and your health every drops below 3,500 but still manage to survive the unfortunate encounter that dropped your health to this much, then it's done its job, allowing your to at least heal some of that damage back and remain in the fight for a little while longer. I know some people scoff at this skill for anything but DDs, but it's helped me out in some tough situations

Radio Position Finding - this was the last skill that I took. I considered taking this, MFCAA, or Vig (+PM). I settled on RPF because I found myself having to hunt DDs near the end of matches where. I also find it useful to know if any DDs are sneaking up on a flank that's been left unprotected and I can orientate my ship to be pointing in that direction in anticipation of torpedoes. 

That's just my recommendations but it depends on what you want to do with the Mino. It sounds like you want to spec it for AA, but keep in mind that it will be wasted in matches without a CV. 

[SALVO] Crucis 3,822
14,755 posts
15,407 battles
19 minutes ago, Noble_Taipan said:

For Mino, I wouldn't bother with either EM or AR (if you took MBM3). JoaT is useful as you can get the window between your smoke dissipating and the consumable reloading down to 31 seconds (providing you have the -5% consumable reload flag and take premium smoke). I wouldn't recommend ManAA nor AFT as planes will tend to avoid you, though I would stick with AA mod 1, allowing your AA range to match your air detection range, anything beyond that is a excessive. However, if you want to extend it to 8.6km then it could provide a nasty surprise to any planes.

For my build I took PT, JoaT, SSE, SE, SI, CE, RPF.

Survivability Expert - if you're using this and your health every drops below 3,500 but still manage to survive the unfortunate encounter that dropped your health to this much, then it's done its job, allowing your to at least heal some of that damage back and remain in the fight for a little while longer. I know some people scoff at this skill for anything but DDs, but it's helped me out in some tough situations

Radio Position Finding - this was the last skill that I took. I considered taking this, MFCAA, or Vig (+PM). I settled on RPF because I found myself having to hunt DDs near the end of matches where. I also find it useful to know if any DDs are sneaking up on a flank that's been left unprotected and I can orientate my ship to be pointing in that direction in anticipation of torpedoes. 

That's just my recommendations but it depends on what you want to do with the Mino. It sounds like you want to spec it for AA, but keep in mind that it will be wasted in matches without a CV. 

Thanks for the input, Taipan.  Something to consider.

Sign in to follow this