Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Mutsuki Frustration

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

926
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,303 battles

CE and all makes no difference when the enemy can spot your torpedoes from miles away and avoid them with ease. You have a perfect approach and launch, them launch your second salvo where he's likely to turn and he has the time to avoid them all.  Unless your target has his head up his a** he will manage to easily avoid your torps. Playing a torp boat with a 10% torpedo hit ratio is nothing more than an exercise in frustration as you miss 90% of the time. Infuriating and yet addictive, I need to avoid playing her to keep from getting too pissed off. 

Edited by KalishniKat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,132 posts
3,141 battles
9 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

CE and all makes no difference when the enemy can spot your torpedoes from miles away and avoid them with ease

Of course it doesn't make a difference. It only affects your ship's detection. There is nothing you can do to make your torpedoes more stealthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
382
[SIMP]
Members
992 posts

You are playing Mutsuki all wrong....

It is an anti-aircraft escort vessel. Look at all those 25mm's and that massive battery of two dual-purpose main guns. 

Playing it as an attack ship? That's just silly!

 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
290
[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,246 battles

Mutsuki's torpedoes can be frustrating but not nearly as bad as how poorly the Mut up-tiers.  It starts to struggle against T6 and anything in T7 completely outclasses it.  And how often does a T5 ship get up-tiered to T7?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

Yeah i'm struggling with this ship too. The torps need to be launched up close in smoke to actually hit anything. Not a fun ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
926
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,303 battles

I've got 160 games in her and 117 kills but that's mostly my addictive personality trying to make her work. For every good game there's 2 or 3 very frustrating ones. I always think the next game will be better but it often isn't. When a Bogue can skirt your torpedoes there's a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,612
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles

Just be happy she no longer has torpedoes with range shorter than her concealment.  Goodness was that a horrible experience way back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,214
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles

It's almost like it's not as easy as you thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
[WORX]
Members
1,647 posts
12,706 battles

The power of the Mutsukie, compared to any other IJN torp DD will make it feel like a down grade. When you only need 1 salvo of torps to nail a CV, its come down to Torp salvo management. IF you can excel In Torp salvo Management, the Mutsukie is by definition a Ninja torp DD.. DEADLY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,212 posts
4,051 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Just be happy she no longer has torpedoes with range shorter than her concealment.  Goodness was that a horrible experience way back.

Ya they saved that for the stock fubrui, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,317
[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
1 hour ago, KalishniKat said:

I've got 160 games in her and 117 kills but that's mostly my addictive personality trying to make her work. For every good game there's 2 or 3 very frustrating ones. I always think the next game will be better but it often isn't. When a Bogue can skirt your torpedoes there's a problem.

Mutsuki is complete stealth boat Comrade! You have one of the best destroyer concealments for your tier; USE IT.

Spot for allies! Fling torps in the general direction of enemies like Frenchmen fling cows off of castles at Englishmen!

If you are spotted or are anywhere near a cap that isn't 100% clearly unchallenged by anything firecer than floating algae before the game timer slips from four digits to three; you're doing it wrong.

On a slightly more serious note; for most everyone in the game a Mutsuki might encounter the minimap is important like breaking the pattern of a tough Sudoku game.

For Mutsuki; the minimap is important like breaking the Japanese code is to Nimitz before the battle of Midway.

Don't let ANYTHING that even pretends to be Red inside the circle that shows your concealment, (except for see below...)

Did I mention spotting? Do it some more. Launch more torps, then go somewhere else.

Ignore all kvetching and whining from fools who expect you to take a destroyer which as 2, dos, zvie, ni, deux, and ONLY two guns (two guns, by the by, whose traversing mechanisms are obviously lubricated with molasses and sand...) into a cap to fight that Gnevny or Nicholas. If RNGesus is merciful, don't even go near something with a little 'IV' floating above it.

Now; don't completely ignore destroyer duties; pay attention to your allies; if the opportunity arises to assist one with a conveniently placed smokescreen; don't hesitate to use one.

If some poor enemy with just a fraction of a health bar left is sailing six or so kilometers away, and you can zot them without the wrath of God or five or six cruisers coming down upon you; DO IT. KILL STEAL; I mean; KILL SECURE with extreme prejudice, and without shame.

Kalishnikat; your avvy is a cat. Channel your inner feline; or Lert's; or whoever's. Stalk you enemies ruthlessly and remorselessly; just like a cat sneaking up on a mouse or a bird.

Use every scrap of dirt on a map. Use Greens getting shot to bits but who are spotting Reds without regret.

Slink around islands like a ninja slinking through a Japanese castle...

...glance at that minimap one more time; make sure some (redacted) Red isn't trying to do the same thing to you...

...then; when you come around the side of that island at less than 3k, ready to knife that big, fat juicy battleship (or some other target,) in the back; you will either die gloriously in a hail of HE; or you will put 80k worth of torpedoes into a target at a range where they don't stand a snowball's chance in you-know-where of dodging.

You're a Mutsuki; your job isn't to attack a mob; your job is to spot that mob for others to annoy; then to go over somewhere else and gut some loner.

'Oh! Everything and it's uncle can shoot a Mutsuki to bits! I won't be able to escape!'

New Mexico has lots of 14" guns? Fuso too? Bayern will pepper you to death with secondaries?

"Who dares; Wins."

They can' hurt you anymore when they're sinking.

Do I get zapped occasionally making such attacks with Mutsuki? Of course I do; but I always go in for such an attack expecting nothing but victory.

Bragging?

Not really; my WRs in both old T6 Mutsuki and the new T5 are comfortable above the server average for those ships...

...therefore I must be doing SOMETHING right.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
336
[DPG]
Members
824 posts
4,241 battles
36 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

You aint seen nothin, I remember when it was at tier 6. Now THAT was frustrating!

^ I haven't played the Mutsuki since.  In fact, my stats have the (< 01.12.2016) next to the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,413 posts
6,078 battles
5 hours ago, Amenhir said:

^ I haven't played the Mutsuki since.  In fact, my stats have the (< 01.12.2016) next to the ship.

I have not played ANY IJN DD since then.  I am not good at the DDs but with the Mutsuki it was 100x worse and I have not bothered since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
290
[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,246 battles

Yes, Mutsuki can scout and spot red ships for your team and does it pretty well.  The problem is WG does not reward DD's for doing their jobs that way.  Try spotting for an entire match and see how much XP you earn.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
926
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,303 battles

Unfavorable MM at T5 is also an issue and I'm not talking facing T7 but the large amount of games with 2 CVs and 5 DDs per side....you can pretty much kiss stealth goodbye in those matches. In Mutsuki you lose stealth you die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
370
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
13 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

CE and all makes no difference when the enemy can spot your torpedoes from miles away and avoid them with ease. You have a perfect approach and launch, them launch your second salvo where he's likely to turn and he has the time to avoid them all.  Unless your target has his head up his a** he will manage to easily avoid your torps. Playing a torp boat with a 10% torpedo hit ratio is nothing more than an exercise in frustration as you miss 90% of the time. Infuriating and yet addictive, I need to avoid playing her to keep from getting too pissed off. 

Welcome to IJN DDs! 10% is something like 40% better than average for IJN DD torps. Shimakaze sends her regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
292 posts

Yea Minekaze seems a little better than Mutsuki

13 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

CE and all makes no difference when the enemy can spot your torpedoes from miles away and avoid them with ease. You have a perfect approach and launch, them launch your second salvo where he's likely to turn and he has the time to avoid them all.  Unless your target has his head up his a** he will manage to easily avoid your torps. Playing a torp boat with a 10% torpedo hit ratio is nothing more than an exercise in frustration as you miss 90% of the time. Infuriating and yet addictive, I need to avoid playing her to keep from getting too pissed off. 

 

Hmm, I guess Minekaze is objectively better.

For 2 extra barrels, and+.5 km speed, Minekaze loses 1km torp range and 6 knts of torps speed but gains -.4km torp detection range (1.2km to the Mutsuki' 1.6km) and gets a 42 sec torp reload compared to Mutsuki 73 sec reload.

I guess the counter argument is that the 2 extra barrels on Minekaze doesn't really amount to much, you still will get bullied by every other DD but Mutsuki. And there are times though when that 1km of torp range is the difference maker between a hit being possible or impossible...

Good tip might be to stick with a gunboat DD and team up to bully red DDs out of your way you so can start making the most of your torp range on BBs.

I actually don't mind the torps being hard to land. What annoys me are the games where you can't even launch torps because the enemy DDs (or CV...) are screening well and you can't get close enough without circling the edge of the map. Having a good DD gunboat teammate to act as your chaperon helps a lot with that. You spot them. He send them running with his guns.

Edited by TheLastReaper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[IXM]
Members
191 posts
3,346 battles

I posted pretty much the same topic like a year ago I think.  Mutsuki is probably the worst boat I have ever had to play.  I think the stock A hull Fuso was actually better than upgraded Mutsuki.  The guns suck and the torps take so long to reload you don't have any form of reliable damage.  Your only reliable role is to spot and cap, and you can take torps of opportunity maybe.

It is a very team oriented ship, you have to either support your team or have them support you.  There is no soloing in the Mutsuki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,212 posts
4,051 battles
26 minutes ago, Kyralee said:

I posted pretty much the same topic like a year ago I think.  Mutsuki is probably the worst boat I have ever had to play.  I think the stock A hull Fuso was actually better than upgraded Mutsuki.  The guns suck and the torps take so long to reload you don't have any form of reliable damage.  Your only reliable role is to spot and cap, and you can take torps of opportunity maybe.

It is a very team oriented ship, you have to either support your team or have them support you.  There is no soloing in the Mutsuki.

See I like the mutsuki for these very reasons. It was my "submarine" when I would get the itch.

You want to know why subs would suck to play in this game try an IJN DDs but only use 1/4 speed.

That being said it is a ship that plays 2 roles very well. However they are the most unrewarding roles in the game. 

1st is spotting full concelment spec lets you ninja into areas that people never expect. I think smoke is actually a bad thing in most situations. Instead skirt the outside of caps and when the red DD smokes up fire your torpedoes at his smoke. Then sail passed the cap to spot everyone who trys to go dark or hide behind islands.

2nd is area denial and forcing "bad" turns. While sailing beyond the cap and spotting. Fire torpedoes into groups of reds. Not with any expectations of getting hits. You want to slow down pushes and force them to manouve to avoid the torpedoes. Thereby exposing themselves to allied guns. 

It sucks when the match is over and you netted an awesome 400xp though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[IXM]
Members
191 posts
3,346 battles
24 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

That being said it is a ship that plays 2 roles very well. However they are the most unrewarding roles in the game.

It sucks when the match is over and you netted an awesome 400xp though.

That sums it up perfectly.  The activities that this game rewards are the ones that the Mutsuki is the worst at.  The activities that help win games are the ones that the Mutsuki is good at.

Maybe with the changes being tested on the PTR with adding in spotting and potential damage counters as well as nerfing plane spotting ranges will prop up the IJN ships that need help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
926
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,303 battles

Last 10 games with Mutsuki i had a 64% WR, 27k damage and a 1287 WTR and a frustration level of 1000+ ....It just wasn't worth the aggravation.You have a good game, say 70k damage then follow with 3 dogs where you get spotted and deleted or you fire salvo after salvo of torps from concealment just to watch every ship easily avoid them. I'll stick with my Podvoisky and her dependable guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,212 posts
4,051 battles
25 minutes ago, Kyralee said:

That sums it up perfectly.  The activities that this game rewards are the ones that the Mutsuki is the worst at.  The activities that help win games are the ones that the Mutsuki is good at.

Maybe with the changes being tested on the PTR with adding in spotting and potential damage counters as well as nerfing plane spotting ranges will prop up the IJN ships that need help.

The air detection is like 3.1k. It takes a dedicated effort for aircraft to spot you. 

Spotted torpedoes are sometimes better than hits. For the team that is. 

But ya a spotting damage counter would help feel like your doing something. 

While grinding through fubruki the XP earnings were better just to YOLO spewing tarps. It killed my wr and ranked is t8 so it was lose lose for me, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,212 posts
4,051 battles
2 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Last 10 games with Mutsuki i had a 64% WR, 27k damage and a 1287 WTR and a frustration level of 1000+ ....It just wasn't worth the aggravation.You have a good game, say 70k damage then follow with 3 dogs where you get spotted and deleted or you fire salvo after salvo of torps from concealment just to watch every ship easily avoid them. I'll stick with my Podvoisky and her dependable guns.

A trick I found out was to keep your torpedoes selected. If you switch back and forth and your target has priority target skill. It notifies them when you switch to the torps. It also will not alert them to being targeted 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SYN]
Members
509 posts
5,971 battles
On 4/14/2018 at 1:55 AM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Mutsuki is complete stealth boat Comrade! You have one of the best destroyer concealments for your tier; USE IT.

No guns. Learn to play a game of spotting, capping and torping.  And CE is your lifeblood. 

On 4/14/2018 at 11:58 AM, KalishniKat said:

Unfavorable MM at T5 is also an issue and I'm not talking facing T7 but the large amount of games with 2 CVs and 5 DDs per side....you can pretty much kiss stealth goodbye in those matches. In Mutsuki you lose stealth you die.

Tier 5 and 6 are prey. Keep the 7s  spotted and dodging torps.  Most will mess up eventually. 

On 4/14/2018 at 2:41 PM, StoneRhino said:

A trick I found out was to keep your torpedoes selected. If you switch back and forth and your target has priority target skill. It notifies them when you switch to the torps. It also will not alert them to being targeted 

 

Don't even think about the 1 and 2 key until you have no option but to die anyway. Or it is only  one enemy that is on a sliver of health.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×