Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BURN_Miner

Thinking about the Alabama, but...

17 comments in this topic

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

I don't know tbh. Just looking at the numbers and she really doesn't seem all that different than the North Carolina. Server "average" aside as to me, average is just that, average among the many within this realm, to those that own both, what does the Alabama bring to the table that the North Carolina doesn't?

Of course, outside of the standard free experience, less upkeep, etc. that comes with premiums.

Thank in advance.

Members
11 posts
3,225 battles

My view on her is she has Epic Torp Protection. She is smaller than the NC meaning she can turn way harder. Shes a NC in a smaller package. I find luck with her. I hope this helps!

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

All I know is she has crazy torp protection (2nd best in game). People say she has good spaced armor and a better bow. Im planning to grab her, but havent looked too much into the stats

[BNKR]
Members
654 posts
664 battles

I don't have the North Carolina yet, but Alabama earns huge coin and XP. Even a middling performance in a loss will net big profits. She's very much worth it for grinding credits and XP.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
23 minutes ago, BURN_Miner said:

I don't know tbh. Just looking at the numbers and she really doesn't seem all that different than the North Carolina. Server "average" aside as to me, average is just that, average among the many within this realm, to those that own both, what does the Alabama bring to the table that the North Carolina doesn't?

Of course, outside of the standard free experience, less upkeep, etc. that comes with premiums.

Thank in advance.

Its a North Carolina with tier X matchmaking 75% of the time - if thats what you want, go ahead and pay $55 for it.

Members
3,644 posts
13,502 battles

Excellent torpedo protection, hard hitting guns, good armor, excellent (for a BB) maneuverability, and AA that'll make a CV driver cry. What's not to like?

[BNKR]
Members
654 posts
664 battles
3 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Its a North Carolina with tier X matchmaking 75% of the time - if thats what you want, go ahead and pay $55 for it.

Odd, I'd say I only see tier X between 30 and 40% of the time. It's kind of irrelevant since the Mk. 8 shells are pretty devastating to anything it can see.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
11 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

All I know is she has crazy torp protection (2nd best in game). People say she has good spaced armor and a better bow. Im planning to grab her, but havent looked too much into the stats

She does have better torp protection at 49% compared to the North Carolina's 21%. And she has a higher top end Armor thickness at 457mm whereas the North Carolina has only 406mm, she probably has a bit better layout comparing the two as well. Though the North Carolina does have a slightly higher low end armor value starting off at 13mm with the Bama starting off at 6mm. As far as the turning, modules equipped, the Bama has a slight advantage at right around  12.2s rudder shift time and the North Car. at a 13.8s, Bama turning radius being 710m and the N.C. is at 760m.

However, with regards to the Torp protection, the Bama and it's huge advantage on torp protection, doesn't have the secondaries to back it up. Any pushing/capping I'll do will be in a Bismarck or Tirp or even an Atago. The N.C./Amagi should be a support type roll imho and unless absolutely needed, shouldn't be capping, but I may be way off on my presumption and things may have changed in my absence. Again though, I am going off the stats of the ship. Sure the Bama can take some torp hits, but the secondaries mirror the N.C.'s with 10x2 127's with a range of only 5km and a reload of 6 seconds.

I don't know, it's probably just me. I know when it was first released, I wanted it badly, but couldn't afford it. Now that I can and it's even on sale, I look at the two ships and I'm asking WG "convince me".... lol

8 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I don't have the North Carolina yet, but Alabama earns huge coin and XP. Even a middling performance in a loss will net big profits. She's very much worth it for grinding credits and XP.

I have a Missouri for my coin making opportunities. Or an Atago/Tirp, etc., but the MO prints money even if you just "show up"..

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,230 battles

Alabama was a ship I wanted, because I loved the NorCar... but it feels innacurate and the manueverability isn't that much better, IMO.

Only advantage is the massive 45% TDS.

[BNKR]
Members
654 posts
664 battles
5 minutes ago, BURN_Miner said:

I have a Missouri for my coin making opportunities. Or an Atago/Tirp, etc., but the MO prints money even if you just "show up"..

In that case, I'd save my money, unless you want her for historical reasons.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles

1.  Alabama is the smallest Tier VIII-X BB in the game.  Short hull.  A shorter hull means less side to get hit by shells and torpedoes.

2.  Insane maneuverability, best balance of speed and turn capability of all high tier BBs.  Think of the excellent turn capability of the Standard USN BBs of Tier VII and below, but now give them North Carolina's 27kt speed.  That's how AL sails.  Iowa / Missouri sail like sh*t.  Montana is a Tier X, so she will sail like a frozen pig.  Even North Carolina sails like a slow, clumsy oaf compared to Alabama.

3.  Yamato / Amagi levels of high TDS;  Take less damage from torpedoes, which has saved my a$$ numerous times.  You can take an entire Tirpitz torpedo drop into your sides and laugh it off.  Torpedo Bombers against Alabama is a losing prospect, because not only will the TBs get shredded by the AA, the few torp hits that do land will do vastly reduced damage thanks to the high TDS.

Members
1,132 posts
3,141 battles

If you like NC, then go for it. It's one of my favorite credit earners and a very solid ship. Get it to replace your NC as a free xp/credit earner this ranked season. If you don't like NC, then it probably isn't worth it for you, since it has most of the problems NC has (mainly the bad shell velocity). 

[STW-D]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
1,646 posts
5,020 battles

Alabama is a tremendously good ship.  A lot of the good points have been covered, but i would add that it's among the only ships i'll use to take on a German BB at close range, basically ignore the secondary fire, and win anyway even without taking significant damage if you angle properly.  For a T8 BB, it's about as good as they come.  T10 battles are not something to be afraid of, you can hold your own.  AA is godly.  The dispersion can be erratic at times but generally its on point.  If you can grab an Alabama and you're at all interested, you probably will find it to be worth your coin to do so.

Beta Testers
604 posts
3,311 battles
1 hour ago, BURN_Miner said:

Thank in advance.

Bama has slightly better mid range AA and WAY better torp protection

Members
8,065 posts
17,032 battles
1 hour ago, _1204_ said:

All I know is she has crazy torp protection (2nd best in game). People say she has good spaced armor and a better bow. Im planning to grab her, but havent looked too much into the stats.

1 hour ago, ReddNekk said:

Excellent torpedo protection, hard hitting guns, good armor, excellent (for a BB) maneuverability, and AA that'll make a CV driver cry. What's not to like?

Not so sure about that; unless things have changed; New Mexico should be second after Yamato.

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,239 battles

I have one, it is very 'meh'

But it's not because of the ship itself, it's because there are better ships in T9/10 that you can bring to a T9 or T10 fight.

Like, literally, T8 is the toilet bowls for the overabundance of T10 ships and most of the T9 ships are garbage anyways, so those T9 slots get filled in with T8 and T10 ships.

Sign in to follow this