Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Xcalib3r

Fun factor: Yueyang vs Z-52?

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

79
[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

Already have Gearing, Shima, and the Khab.  Looking to add my 4th DD and having a hard time deciding between the two, for those who own both Yueyang and Z-52 which one do you have more fun in playing?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles

Have both, love them both.  Only buy perm camo for the tier 10s I play (have them all but perm camo for only 5), but bought it for both these DDs, they are that much fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,619
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

Yueyang. I love it, great destroyer. The Z-52 I enjoy less, but that is a personal preference, not saying it is not a good ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles
2 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Yueyang. I love it, great destroyer. The Z-52 I enjoy less, but that is a personal preference, not saying it is not a good ship.

what made you enjoy less about the Z-52? less nimble and bigger concealment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,318
[-K-]
Supertester
5,145 posts
8,942 battles

If you want to dominate caps and spam torpedoes like a madman... Z-52.

If you want the most well-rounded DD in the game... YueYang. 

 

The Z-52 is terribly fun when you can catch people broadside or unaware in smoke. For everything else, the YY does better. Better concealment, better HE DPM, stealthier torps, longer range torps, better maneuverability, smaller profile, better smokes. 

 

You can't go wrong with either. Both are performing exceptionally well among their contemporaries. 

Spoiler

gObq5FN.png

 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,619
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles
30 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

what made you enjoy less about the Z-52? less nimble and bigger concealment?

It felt more niche/gimmicky.  Yueyang is stealthier, better torps, better smoke, and I am more comfortable getting into a gunfight with it. It's just more well rounded and versatile imo (plus better-looking lol)

I will be honest, I haven't played the Z-52 much, but just, in general, that line didn't click like the Pan-Asian line did for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
147
[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,215 battles

Do you plan to play the DD in clan battles?  If so, go with the YY.  Many clans that run a DD in clan battles are choosing the YY over the Gearing and Z-52.  From my own observations, I would say most clans seem to be going with the YY first, Gearing second, and Z-52 third.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
40 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

It felt more niche/gimmicky.  Yueyang is stealthier, better torps, better smoke, and I am more comfortable getting into a gunfight with it. It's just more well rounded and versatile imo (plus better-looking lol)

I will be honest, I haven't played the Z-52 much, but just, in general, that line didn't click like the Pan-Asian line did for me.

I also have both and enjoy playing both.  I agree that the YY is stealthier and has better smoke (hard to argue with the stats on this).  As for torpedoes, that one's a bit more open for discussion.  The YY's torps are better when you have them loaded compared to the Z52's.  However, the Z52's torps reload a lot faster, so you have the ability to fire them more often.  So, IMO, it's a bit of a push on torps.

I guess that I like the Z-52 just a little bit more than the YY because it feels a bit like a bully in cap duels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
434
[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

All this talk about Z-52 being "more gimmicky" than Yueyang and Yueyang being well rounded.

And im just sitting here, confused, thinking that wasn't Yueyang supposed to be a very gimmicky ship with DWT making it situational?

Is it just that DWT at T10 don't really change much or is the ship just good? I don't quite get the logic behind this. Curious for when I finally acquire mine..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

can planes spot the deep water torp just as easily as normal torp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

All this talk about Z-52 being "more gimmicky" than Yueyang and Yueyang being well rounded.

And im just sitting here, confused, thinking that wasn't Yueyang supposed to be a very gimmicky ship with DWT making it situational?

Is it just that DWT at T10 don't really change much or is the ship just good? I don't quite get the logic behind this. Curious for when I finally acquire mine..

Yeah, I don't really know, Akeno.  I don't see either the YY or the Z52 as gimmicky.  The Z has great hydro, the YY can mount radar, if one chooses to do so.  The Z has fast loading, good torps.  The YY has somewhat slower loading DWTs that are also good, but can't hit DDs.  

To me, they're both very good DDs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,941
[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

All this talk about Z-52 being "more gimmicky" than Yueyang and Yueyang being well rounded.

And im just sitting here, confused, thinking that wasn't Yueyang supposed to be a very gimmicky ship with DWT making it situational?

Is it just that DWT at T10 don't really change much or is the ship just good? I don't quite get the logic behind this. Curious for when I finally acquire mine..

Yueyang is stealthier nimbler and agiler compared to Z-52 or Gearing. Easier to use as a DD, as the stats are well rounded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Yeah, I don't really know, Akeno.  I don't see either the YY or the Z52 as gimmicky.  The Z has great hydro, the YY can mount radar, if one chooses to do so.  The Z has fast loading, good torps.  The YY has somewhat slower loading DWTs that are also good, but can't hit DDs.  

To me, they're both very good DDs.

 

They both are excellent T10 DDs.

They both have some gimmicks to them.  YY is strong, but I forever will detest the DWTs on it.  It limits me in how I can deal with a contested cap.  Zed is the king of gimmicks with the smoke/hydro combo.  With, as a fellow clan mate says, its tools on cool down its more limited in its ability to contest caps, or fight DDs. 

If I had to get one, get the YY.  Its more useful doing general DD stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
4 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

They both are excellent T10 DDs.

They both have some gimmicks to them.  YY is strong, but I forever will detest the DWTs on it.  It limits me in how I can deal with a contested cap.  Zed is the king of gimmicks with the smoke/hydro combo.  With, as a fellow clan mate says, its tools on cool down its more limited in its ability to contest caps, or fight DDs. 

If I had to get one, get the YY.  Its more useful doing general DD stuff.

I agree that DWTs are limiting. But by the time you get to tier 10, you should understand that limitation completely.  I don't find that limitation all that limiting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I agree that DWTs are limiting. But by the time you get to tier 10, you should understand that limitation completely.  I don't find that limitation all that limiting.  

Either it is limiting or not.

Every other cap contesting DD has the option to torp a hidden enemy DD from relative safety to try to dislodge him.  Yue Yangs only tools are running radar (which has ramifications on its own) or physically detecting the offending DD.

If I have to work a hotly contested cap, YY isnt one that I would select for that.  That doesnt make it a bad DD however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
51 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Either it is limiting or not.

Every other cap contesting DD has the option to torp a hidden enemy DD from relative safety to try to dislodge him.  Yue Yangs only tools are running radar (which has ramifications on its own) or physically detecting the offending DD.

If I have to work a hotly contested cap, YY isnt one that I would select for that.  That doesnt make it a bad DD however.

Whatever.

I don't really like blind firing torps into a cap.  Blind firing into smoke is a different thing altogether.  And I'm fairly confident in my DD vs DD gunnery/brawling skills so I don't feel particularly limited by not having torps to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,619
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles
5 hours ago, Crucis said:

I also have both and enjoy playing both.  I agree that the YY is stealthier and has better smoke (hard to argue with the stats on this).  As for torpedoes, that one's a bit more open for discussion.  The YY's torps are better when you have them loaded compared to the Z52's.  However, the Z52's torps reload a lot faster, so you have the ability to fire them more often.  So, IMO, it's a bit of a push on torps.

I guess that I like the Z-52 just a little bit more than the YY because it feels a bit like a bully in cap duels.

1

Yea, my personal comfort in driving the Yueyang vs Z-52 is key in my opinion. I also prefer the range of the torps vs Z-52 reload, ultimately I feel I get more hits and do more damage with Yueyangs torps. Also, I feel Yueyang contest caps quite well, other dds underestimate your guns quite often it seems. Maybe they get cocky knowing you cant torp them or something. But your right, ultimately its a personal preference, a comfortable driving it.

5 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

All this talk about Z-52 being "more gimmicky" than Yueyang and Yueyang being well rounded.

And im just sitting here, confused, thinking that wasn't Yueyang supposed to be a very gimmicky ship with DWT making it situational?

Is it just that DWT at T10 don't really change much or is the ship just good? I don't quite get the logic behind this. Curious for when I finally acquire mine..

The deep water torps are a bit situational, though, they can hit all but one ship type so... not that situational. But the Yueyang as a whole, even with torps that can't strike other DDs, is very well rounded. It can lay near continuous smoke, has great guns, great stealth. It both a great stealth touring boat and a smoke firing gunboat, a strong hybrid that makes it quite well rounded and imo strong.

4 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

can planes spot the deep water torp just as easily as normal torp?

I believe so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
12 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Yea, my personal comfort in driving the Yueyang vs Z-52 is key in my opinion. I also prefer the range of the torps vs Z-52 reload, ultimately I feel I get more hits and do more damage with Yueyangs torps. Also, I feel Yueyang contest caps quite well, other dds underestimate your guns quite often it seems. Maybe they get cocky knowing you cant torp them or something. But your right, ultimately its a personal preference, a comfortable driving it.

The deep water torps are a bit situational, though, they can hit all but one ship type so... not that situational. But the Yueyang as a whole, even with torps that can't strike other DDs, is very well rounded. It can lay near continuous smoke, has great guns, great stealth. It both a great stealth touring boat and a smoke firing gunboat, a strong hybrid that makes it quite well rounded and imo strong.

I believe so.

I agree that both the YY and Z52 are well rounded DDs.  And I'm comfortable in both and use both in CB's fairly successfully.   I prefer the Z-52 in a brawl even though her RoF isn't quite as good as the YY's or Gearing's, in large part because the Z's AP can be devastating in DD brawls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[-GPS-]
Members
2,521 posts
24,610 battles
On 4/13/2018 at 8:17 PM, Xcalib3r said:

can planes spot the deep water torp just as easily as normal torp?

I was under the impression that planes only “see” deep water torps when they are virtually on top of them. 

I really like both the Z-52 and the Yueyang. OP what’s more fun for you?  Pushing into a cap, spotting a Red DD, popping smoke and hydro and watching them melt?  Or firing a torp spread in the direction of 3 enemy BBs and/or cruisers and waiting to see how many different ships you can hit with one spread?  I do love it when the game announces that I just sank an enemy ship no had even spotted yet because it was in the clump I dropped torps on. But I also have fun being a cap bully. Take your pick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles

I love both, but Z-52 is a better ship for randoms.  If a Yueyang gets caught out in the open by a Z-52, that Yueyang is very dead with little means to defend itself.  Radar Yueyang makes no sense in randoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

One of my concern with Z-52 is the German AP shell, if they're anything like the Hindenburg AP they will get bounced and shattered a lot if other DD angled their ship a bit.  Most Yueyang have firing rate of about 2.5~2.7s, they can spam HE like mad and burning down the Z quickly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39
[SEC_8]
Members
135 posts
3,002 battles

I have the Z-52 and Gearing, and I find myself pushing caps more in my Z-52.  It is a very aggressive style of play where you will find yourself tempted to rush smoke.  I am learning that you will still die if there are support cruisers around, even if you take over the dead dd's smoke (because you are now closer to the enemy cruisers and your new smoke may not last too long).  

So the z-52 is an anti-dd destroyer.

The Yueyang is the polar opposite.  While you still like to knife fight with those short range guns, you will not be able to really hunt other dd's.  

So the Yueyang is a big ship hunter.

Your already have a good assortment of tier 10s, and have long range torps covered with the Shima and Gearing, so I would say go for the bully- the z-52.

Edited by Torpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
504
[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,731 battles

Didn't realize I brought my CB build radar YueYang into a solo random match until I loaded in. So I just went and sat by a cap. When the cap started to turn red, I flipped the radar and found 2 red DDs in it. One noped out of there quick and the other panic smoked then bugged out. Both took significant damages before the radar's out.

Did that again by another cap later and got the 3d red DD killed by near by friendlies. We won since the red DDs wasn't able to do much. And I got like 8 torp hits and over 100K damage on BBs.

It's fun. But I felt guilty doing that.

Edited by chewonit
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[-GPS-]
Members
2,521 posts
24,610 battles
On 4/18/2018 at 11:20 AM, Xcalib3r said:

One of my concern with Z-52 is the German AP shell, if they're anything like the Hindenburg AP they will get bounced and shattered a lot if other DD angled their ship a bit.  Most Yueyang have firing rate of about 2.5~2.7s, they can spam HE like mad and burning down the Z quickly.

 

 

They can spam AP really fast too and trust me that hurts a broadside Z52 badly. Some DD players seem to use AP too often; however, it does wreck broadside DDs at close range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×