You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ulthwey

4-5 Team Mates Dead in First 3-4 Minutes of the Game

20 comments in this topic

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

These last 2-3 weeks have just been brutal. The number of matches where half my team died in the first 5 minutes has skyrocketed ... and I dont know why. Even at tier X, where theoretically DD players should know not to sit in smoke on the cap. If you are a DD, you need to know that you DONT have to cap immediately. Especially when you dont know where enemy radar ships and hydro-equiped DDs are. But if you DO try to cap or contest ...

DO look at the minimap. Know where you enemy radar ships, hydro DDs, fighter planes and gunboat DDs are. Have a rough idea what you may be facing in the cap. Have "last known position" enabled on your minimap.

Do NOT sit in smoke unless you have hydro AND roughly know where enemy radar is.

DO orient your ship away from the enemy when you are on the cap, so its easier to dodge torps and run away.

Do NOT continue to sit still/reverse when you are radared/hydroed in the open. Trying  to wait out radar rarely works.

DO treasure and maintain your concealment, its your greatest weapon, the moment you fire your guns you lose it. Its your job to know when its safe to give up your concealment. Keep track of where the enemy guns are pointed, having Priority Target is NOT enough. If Montana is aiming in your direction, why would you give up your concealment to shoot at it?

Do NOT try to gunfight your opponent when you are rushed by an enemy gunship DD, especially if you dont have smoke and cant hide. If there is no escape, its acceptable, but more often than not you can escape without firing your guns and losing your concealment.

DO try to escape without blowing up your concealment for half the enemy team. Save you engineboost for that extra speed boost when you need to escape. Save your smoke for when you are trying to escape, blow it in the face of your pursuer to break line of sight.

Do NOT try to torp in a DD on DD duel if you are playing a gunship DD (Gearing, Yuyang, Grozovoi). Why the hell are you trying to torp the enemy DD dueling you instead of gunning him down? In the time it takes to aim and launch your torps, half your health is already gone.

Do NOT (for the love of god) rush radar ships. Is this really that difficult of a concept to understand? Missouri/Donskoi/Moskva/DM/Chapayev ... they ALL have radar, therefore you should NOT be trying to torp them from 6km away. Why do people do this crap?

Last, but certainly not least, do NOT complain about "no support". If you constantly yolo alone and don't monitor the location of your team mates on the minimap, you deserve to die alone without any "support". Its your job to recognize where on the minimap your team mates can help you. They cant help if the nearest friendly ship is 20km away.

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 3

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

They{the players you question} Play how they want not your way. This will forever will be the game we Know and love.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
477 posts
3,545 battles

Yeah when i look up and see 33% of the team dead before the 15 min mark i tend to go into chat and type “Try dying sooner next time.”  Prolly not the best feedbsck

Members
899 posts
6,938 battles
14 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Last, but certainly not least, do NOT complain about "no support". If you constantly yolo alone and don't monitor the location of your team mates on the minimap, you deserve to die alone without any "support". Its your job to recognize where on the minimap your team mates can help you. They cant help if the nearest friendly ship is 20km away.

What if half my team is only 8km behind me...hiding behind an island. Does that count as support?

• Funny 1

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
552 posts
4,747 battles

For destroyers, a good tip when cap contesting is to back into caps. If you don't like backing into caps, at least point outwards so that you can escape easily. 

• Cool 3

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,243 battles
43 minutes ago, mrmariokartguy said:

For destroyers, a good tip when cap contesting is to back into caps. If you don't like backing into caps, at least point outwards so that you can escape easily. 

Good piece of advice.  However, that usually takes longer than I am willing to wait for, so I usually go full speed in, then turn out, reducing speed to 1/2 or 1/4, and just try to be ready to run/dodge if need be.

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
9,016 battles
25 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

Good piece of advice.  However, that usually takes longer than I am willing to wait for, so I usually go full speed in, then turn out, reducing speed to 1/2 or 1/4, and just try to be ready to run/dodge if need be.

1 hour ago, mrmariokartguy said:

Large open water caps, I'll go straight in but point out of the cap; small tight caps with islands, I'll back in. I learnt a lot about contesting caps and playing DD at a higher level in the last season of ranked thanks to a few good players' tips and a lot of repetition. Pulicat for sure comes to mind as helping me refine my skills, To the general player base: if you are able to catch him streaming, well worth your time watching him. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles

I had a game recently where (after the fact) i saw that the game was over in 4:38.  I was in a DD, and I never got to a cap.  I never took a shell, either, but the mercy rule ended the game.  I think 8 or 9 ships down, we were?  It was a 'wth happened?' game, really.  

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

They{the players you question} Play how they want not your way. This will forever will be the game we Know and love.

They can do that.  And they'll constantly be dead in the first few minutes, probably contributing to their teams losing constantly.  And they'll probably also complain about a lack of support when the only thing lacking was brains on their part.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
7 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

I had a game recently where (after the fact) i saw that the game was over in 4:38.  I was in a DD, and I never got to a cap.  I never took a shell, either, but the mercy rule ended the game.  I think 8 or 9 ships down, we were?  It was a 'wth happened?' game, really.  

Ummmm, mav, unless it was a standard mode game, how could you not get to a cap in 4 and a half minute in a DD?  Were you behind C cap and decided to go to A cap instead, for crying out loud?

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
1 hour ago, Ulthwey said:

These last 2-3 weeks have just been brutal. The number of matches where half my team died in the first 5 minutes has skyrocketed ... and I dont know why. Even at tier X, where theoretically DD players should know not to sit in smoke on the cap. If you are a DD, you need to know that you DONT have to cap immediately. Especially when you dont know where enemy radar ships and hydro-equiped DDs are. But if you DO try to cap or contest ...

DO look at the minimap. Know where you enemy radar ships, hydro DDs, fighter planes and gunboat DDs are. Have a rough idea what you may be facing in the cap. Have "last known position" enabled on your minimap.

Do NOT sit in smoke unless you have hydro AND roughly know where enemy radar is.

DO orient your ship away from the enemy when you are on the cap, so its easier to dodge torps and run away.

Do NOT continue to sit still/reverse when you are radared/hydroed in the open. Trying  to wait out radar rarely works.

DO treasure and maintain your concealment, its your greatest weapon, the moment you fire your guns you lose it. Its your job to know when its safe to give up your concealment. Keep track of where the enemy guns are pointed, having Priority Target is NOT enough. If Montana is aiming in your direction, why would you give up your concealment to shoot at it?

Do NOT try to gunfight your opponent when you are rushed by an enemy gunship DD, especially if you dont have smoke and cant hide. If there is no escape, its acceptable, but more often than not you can escape without firing your guns and losing your concealment.

DO try to escape without blowing up your concealment for half the enemy team. Save you engineboost for that extra speed boost when you need to escape. Save your smoke for when you are trying to escape, blow it in the face of your pursuer to break line of sight.

Do NOT try to torp in a DD on DD duel if you are playing a gunship DD (Gearing, Yuyang, Grozovoi). Why the hell are you trying to torp the enemy DD dueling you instead of gunning him down? In the time it takes to aim and launch your torps, half your health is already gone.

Do NOT (for the love of god) rush radar ships. Is this really that difficult of a concept to understand? Missouri/Donskoi/Moskva/DM/Chapayev ... they ALL have radar, therefore you should NOT be trying to torp them from 6km away. Why do people do this crap?

What happens to my DD high tier mid tier is this .. ask for support before entering cap, usually no response , enter cap which is not being captured an enemy DD pops up and fires on me so either pop smoke or return fire .. but here’s the thing .. the enemy DD has support... me not so much so I’m toast , it’s a team game I know my DD role of spotting and capping, unfortunately this is the norm but when I do get help we usually win the cap

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,772 battles

I generally set smoke trains towards the cap I'm going to contest (next to an island) and ask some nearby cruisers to help. Then I typed in chat that I just broke up with my BF and don't have anyone to go to prom with.

• Funny 1

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
21 minutes ago, SoftAndCute said:

I generally set smoke trains towards the cap I'm going to contest (next to an island) and ask some nearby cruisers to help. Then I typed in chat that I just broke up with my BF and don't have anyone to go to prom with.

Who breaks up with their bf right before prom?  Most girls i know, keep total POS dudes around through the holidays, just for the gifts and so the have someone (anyone) to spend them with.

Love to type random stuff in chat though.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Ummmm, mav, unless it was a standard mode game, how could you not get to a cap in 4 and a half minute in a DD?  Were you behind C cap and decided to go to A cap instead, for crying out loud?

Whatever kind it was, I was figuring out what I was going to do, when I realized we were down 4 ships...while I was thinking 'wth', the rest of them were gone and the game was over.   Maybe it was a domination.  I don't remember exactly.  I just remember mostly how fast it was over.  I was just thinking about where to start spotting/capping, as you say, and realized it wasn't going to happen anyway.  i.e. while I was looking at the map in the first minute, ships were dying really fast already.  I still don't know how we could lose that many ships that quickly.

Edited by mavfin87

[NG-NL]
Members
4,961 posts
8,109 battles

Been seeing a lot of this w/ teammate DDs and running Shino/Akat/Z46 oftentimes my teammates will not steam into cap w/ me either.

Gonna have to say what cap I'm going to and that support is "entering the cap w/ DD" only, save for strategic retreat when facing overwhelming odds.

Members
660 posts
4,258 battles
2 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

What happens to my DD high tier mid tier is this .. ask for support before entering cap, usually no response , enter cap which is not being captured an enemy DD pops up and fires on me so either pop smoke or return fire .. but here’s the thing .. the enemy DD has support... me not so much so I’m toast , it’s a team game I know my DD role of spotting and capping, unfortunately this is the norm but when I do get help we usually win the cap

If you're playing in such a way that you're toast if an enemy DD appears you're the one at fault. Ultimately support from teammates is great but it's up to you to keep your ship alive even in the absence of support. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
1 hour ago, Rocketpacman said:

If you're playing in such a way that you're toast if an enemy DD appears you're the one at fault. Ultimately support from teammates is great but it's up to you to keep your ship alive even in the absence of support. 

I suppose One way is not to cap but you can’t run around in game with the express purpose of hiding, yea might as well just hide behind an Island all game,

If you get into a gunfight with a DD that has backup and you have none the outcome is obvious... you should know that

Members
660 posts
4,258 battles
6 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I suppose One way is not to cap but you can’t run around in game with the express purpose of hiding, yea might as well just hide behind an Island all game,

If you get into a gunfight with a DD that has backup and you have none the outcome is obvious... you should know that

Not making suicidal attempts to cap does not equal not capping. 

If you're entering a cap where the presence of an enemy DD will kill you you're playing it wrong (unless entering that cap is the only way to prevent imminent defeat of course then by all means go for it). If you don't have a way out don't gamble your ship on a cap that's just going to be flipped to the enemy about 30 seconds after you die anyway. This is why so many ships, particularly DDs, are lost in the opening minutes for absolutely nothing. I played a round a couple of days ago where 4/5 of our DDs were killed in the opening three minutes. The cap they had secured was lost about a minute later and guess what we got rolled and never got those caps back because we had practically no DDs. The caps will be there for the whole round. At the start of a round your ship is far more valuable than any cap. 

Edited by Rocketpacman