You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BB3_Oregon_Steel

Perceptions of Ranked at Tier 10

108 comments in this topic

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles

I was reading through some of the threads (now locked) about people complaining about not being able to go above rank 10 unless you happen to have a Tier 10 ship.  In one of these posts, the poster commented that "there is no excuse for someone not to have a tier 10 ship at this point so really, it's only players who are unqualified which are complaining", and I thought I'd respond to that. 

First, this poster is making an assumption that all players work their way through WOWS in the same manner.  That is you start a line, like say the German Battleship line and you play that line the majority of the time, using free experience to skip ships you don't want to play, until you reach tier X at which point you make decide to grind your way up another line.  It's true that, if a player adopts this process, they will have at least one tier 10 ship before a player who does not.  

However if you don't take this approach, then you could still have a significant number of battles and a decent amount of skill and not have a tier 10.  Let's say you decided to play all the battleship lines all at the same time.  Right now that's 6 lines which means a player would need, on average, play six times as many games to reach a tier X ship as a player which focuses on one line at a time.  Let's say instead that you decide to play all lines of all nations simultaneously which now means you need to play 18 as many battles to reach tier X as someone who concentrates on one line at a time. That starts to add up to a LOT more games than the poster takes into account.  It's very possible that a player whose highest tiered ship is a T7, T8, or T9 has far more experience than a player who has ground up a single or even a couple of lines to reach tier 10, depending on how they have approached the game. 

There are all sorts of variations on this which players use in this game so the opinion that players who don't have a tier X ship really aren't that good or deserving of playing in the higher levels of Ranked is pretty elitist and makes any number of assumptions, often false, about how players approach this game and advance up the tiers.  If anything, the current season of Ranked is even more elitist than Clan Wars where at least players with T8 ships can rent a Tier 10 to participate.  

I, personally, am pretty disappointed in WG's decision on how to tier the highest ranks this time around.  Honestly, if a player is good enough to drive a lower tiered ship to Rank 1, then they are good enough and should be allowed the chance to make the attempt, not get blocked by a tiering system like this. 

• Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 4

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,174 battles

@ OP: Spend less time writing lengthy posts critiquing the decision and more time grinding your highest ship line - presto problem solved!

EDIT:  We are on page 5 for the current conversation, but your down votes on this post fill me with happiness - please carry on!

• Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 8

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
9 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I was reading through some of the threads (now locked) about people complaining about not being able to go above rank 10 unless you happen to have a Tier 10 ship.  In one of these posts, the poster commented that "there is no excuse for someone not to have a tier 10 ship at this point so really, it's only players who are unqualified which are complaining", and I thought I'd respond to that. 

Steel, the person who said that was a total jerk.  Absolute, total elitist ... jerk.  And "jerk" is far, FAR too lenient to describe him, but it's what I'm limited to in this forum.  People like him deserve to get forum warning and if necessary outright bans for such boorish behavior.

Regardless, I still tend to think that  WG looked at the data and probably saw that the great majority of players who seriously tried to advance beyond rank 10 probably also owned tier 10 ships.  And if this is true, then there's no real harm to making these ranks require a tier 10 ship.

That said, someone made a point about how in those ranks it was possible that we might see a bunch of players showing up with tier 10 CVs.  If this turns out to be true, IMO, it'll do more to drive people out of wanting to advance beyond rank 10 than anything else I can imagine.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles

Wait I just had an idea.

Tier 8 ships up to rank 10, then tier 10 ships at rank 10.

Tier 9 ships required for rank 9

Tier 8 ships (again) required for tier 8

Tier 7 ships required for tier 7

And so on, until tier 1 battles are literally Black Swans and Hermelins going at it for the gold.

It'll never happen but the thought amuses me.

Honestly I think the big winner for tier 10 Ranked is actually tier 8 ships in Random.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
5 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

@ OP: Spend less time writing lengthy posts critiquing the decision and more time grinding your highest ship line - presto problem solved!

Maybe if you learned to type faster, you'd realize that a skilled typist can type up a short post like the OP's original post in no time at all.

• Bad 1

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles
2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Not the point.

(That short enough to fit within your attention span? ):Smile_great:

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,052 posts
9,185 battles

Tier 10 Ranked will be no more or less soul crushing than any other tier.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
3 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Wait I just had an idea.

Tier 8 ships up to rank 10, than then tier 10 ships at rank 10.

Tier 9 ships required for rank 9

Tier 8 ships (again) required for tier 8

Tier 7 ships required for tier 7

And so on, until tier 1 battles are literally Black Swans and Hermelins going at it for the gold.

Read my sig.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Read my sig.

1m8je.gif

Mistakes, only human, edited/fixed, etc

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

If/when you get to tier 10 , It isn't all Sunshine and Flowers. Ranked as anyone who has played is a seesaw{win one lose one} The cost of running a Tier 10 Ship in Ranked will end up cost prohibitive to all but the best of the best. {Pay to Play included}

• Cool 1

[SF-3]
Members
1,431 posts
7,882 battles

I'm not sure all of what was said in the previous threads, however, in my opinion ranked isn't supposed to be about universal participation. It's supposed to be the competitive play mode. If you want to play at your own pace, with whatever ships you have, try co-op or randoms. If you want to play in the competitive modes then be prepared to meet the minimum requirements to play. If it bothers you that much to not have a T10 ship / cant play R10 to 1, then I suggest you grind your socks off. WG most likely won't change it. Also, before you complain, please remember, there were 8 of 9 other seasons that didn't have T10 ships (that I am aware of), now WG wants to see the response from ranked at T10.

• Cool 6

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles
35 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I'm not sure all of what was said in the previous threads, however, in my opinion ranked isn't supposed to be about universal participation. It's supposed to be the competitive play mode. If you want to play at your own pace, with whatever ships you have, try co-op or randoms. If you want to play in the competitive modes then be prepared to meet the minimum requirements to play. If it bothers you that much to not have a T10 ship / cant play R10 to 1, then I suggest you grind your socks off. WG most likely won't change it. Also, before you complain, please remember, there were 8 of 9 other seasons that didn't have T10 ships (that I am aware of), now WG wants to see the response from ranked at T10.

Also, once again, not the point.  

The point is the premise I was responding to, namely that any player with enough experience to play in ranked would have had a Tier 10 ship by that point.  This premise is based upon the assumption that all players approach the game the way he, or perhaps you do.  There's no need to disparage players who you consider "unworthy" of playing in your particular pond merely because they don't approach the game the way you do. 

I do take responsibility about the way I approach the game. I realize that I could easily have had a few T10 ships by now had I decided to take a different approach.  I'm a bit disappointed that I won't be able to try and better my ranking this year and maybe make it all the way to 1, but I get the criteria concept and I'm totally fine with that. 

What I'm not fine with is the elitist attitude some have and the assumptions they make about other players who do not have a T10 ship in their port, not because they haven't put in the time, but because of how they approach the game.  I thought it was worth my time to point that out.

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[SF-3]
Members
1,431 posts
7,882 battles
45 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

First, this poster is making an assumption that all players work their way through WOWS in the same manner.  That is you start a line, like say the German Battleship line and you play that line the majority of the time, using free experience to skip ships you don't want to play, until you reach tier X at which point you make decide to grind your way up another line.  It's true that, if a player adopts this process, they will have at least one tier 10 ship before a player who does not.  

However if you don't take this approach, then you could still have a significant number of battles and a decent amount of skill and not have a tier 10.  Let's say you decided to play all the battleship lines all at the same time.  Right now that's 6 lines which means a player would need, on average, play six times as many games to reach a tier X ship as a player which focuses on one line at a time.  Let's say instead that you decide to play all lines of all nations simultaneously which now means you need to play 18 as many battles to reach tier X as someone who concentrates on one line at a time. That starts to add up to a LOT more games than the poster takes into account.  It's very possible that a player whose highest tiered ship is a T7, T8, or T9 has far more experience than a player who has ground up a single or even a couple of lines to reach tier 10, depending on how they have approached the game. 

There are all sorts of variations on this which players use in this game so the opinion that players who don't have a tier X ship really aren't that good or deserving of playing in the higher levels of Ranked is pretty elitist and makes any number of assumptions, often false, about how players approach this game and advance up the tiers.  If anything, the current season of Ranked is even more elitist than Clan Wars where at least players with T8 ships can rent a Tier 10 to participate.  

I, personally, am pretty disappointed in WG's decision on how to tier the highest ranks this time around.  Honestly, if a player is good enough to drive a lower tiered ship to Rank 1, then they are good enough and should be allowed the chance to make the attempt, not get blocked by a tiering system like this. 

3 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I am replying to the bold part that seemed to be the synopsis of your post.

• Bad 2

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
455 posts
13,172 battles
27 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I agree 100% with everyrhing you said.

11 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

So what is your point? People are elitist in a video game because they don't see a reason why on the 10th season of ranked people can't play because they haven't gotten to tier 10?

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles
54 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

If/when you get to tier 10 , It isn't all Sunshine and Flowers. Ranked as anyone who has played is a seesaw{win one lose one} The cost of running a Tier 10 Ship in Ranked will end up cost prohibitive to all but the best of the best. {Pay to Play included}

Nope, didn't expect sunshine and roses.  I can imagine how costly it can be at T10 but thanks for pointing that out. 

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles
30 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I am replying to the bold part that seemed to be the synopsis of your post.

Got it.  I can see how you got that out of my post.  I was intending to make a statement that the quality of a player isn't wrapped up in what the highest tier ship in their port was but I added that part about being disappointed in how WG approached this so it sounded different that I really meant it to be. 

I am personally disappointed about how WG set this up but that's something I should have left out of this post. 

Sorry for the miscommunication. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,572 posts
3,901 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Let's say you decided to play all the battleship lines all at the same time.  Right now that's 6 lines which means a player would need, on average, play six times as many games to reach a tier X ship as a player which focuses on one line at a time.  Let's say instead that you decide to play all lines of all nations simultaneously which now means you need to play 18 as many battles to reach tier X as someone who concentrates on one line at a time. That starts to add up to a LOT more games than the poster takes into account.  It's very possible that a player whose highest tiered ship is a T7, T8, or T9 has far more experience than a player who has ground up a single or even a couple of lines to reach tier 10, depending on how they have approached the game.

This is me.  Plus, I can't devote hours to play this game every single day.  At best I get about three hours in every other day.  I've been playing since closed beta, and now have 8 T8 ships from the tech tree in my port.  Soon as I finish out Shiratsuyu, I'll be grinding credits to buy the ninth.  Only lines I'm not advancing on are the CV lines, which I quit when I got to T6 and figured out I suck as a CV player.  Hopefully there will be a rework that makes those boats more accessible to a wider range of players by skill level.

50 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I'm not sure all of what was said in the previous threads, however, in my opinion ranked isn't supposed to be about universal participation. It's supposed to be the competitive play mode.

Yeah, but you know that's not what it is.  Ranked is a grind, not a competition.

• Cool 1

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

OP,

I almost made the same post yesterday when I saw it.

Many long time players seem to forget that someone starting playing yesterday, as well as some very good players started playing 6 months ago, in many respects they feel everyone has been playing as long as they have, and learned as much as they have.

However WG has an interest in holding rank battles at T10. It is expensive. Add on that nearly all ranked players fully fit out flags/camo, they hope that by forcing these seasons in higher tiers they will see more cash sales of silver/flags/camo/xp conversions/premium ships/premium time, etc.

Personally I don't mind the T10 for the last tiers, but since ranked is an opportunity for competitive gameplay, it should be between T6-T8, We have the T10 clan wars. This way ranked serves as a "starter" friendly competitive level of play.

Although I am surprised I haven't seen rental ships for ranked...

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
421 posts
18,299 battles

Put the time in, Put the Grind in and all you will have is coffee to drink and nothing to complain about. I can get out of my top tier ships at any time and go what we call in the higher ranks  "Seal Clubbing" some lower tier players. Most of us play ranked for the better competition. Playing lower tier players in ranked don't deliver that. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
2 hours ago, lemekillmister said:

Meh...

iYH6cA5.jpg  Exactly my sentiment. Thank you!

That down there, too.  VVVV

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Members
13 posts
8,834 battles

I feel the poster above me shouldn't have an opinion since he has 5 ships or so with above a 50% win rating and an average damage I could achieve with maybe 2 salvos (or in some instances, 1).

• Bad 1

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

What???  I am spamming T10 games in randoms, and I am not losing any money.  You should not have included that last part.

MmQGMVQ.jpg

• Bad 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

What???  I am spamming T10 games in randoms, and I am not losing any money.  You should not have included that last part.

MmQGMVQ.jpg

I use the perm camo as well and I "Spam" Tier 10 as well I also use our Clan perks along with Flags and such. We are not the Norm we are the Exception.

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
10 minutes ago, PrivateJoker13 said:

I feel the poster above me shouldn't have an opinion since he has 5 ships or so with above a 50% win rating and an average damage I could achieve with maybe 2 salvos (or in some instances, 1).

What orifice did you pull that out of?